PDA

View Full Version : compression straps for tent

ToyYoda
04-29-2008, 16:50
does anyone take their poles out and compress the sacks their tents come in? the tent I want is kinda long in the stuff sack, worried about it taking up a bit of space.. I'm wondering if it would be detrimental to compress it a few inches? I wouldnt store it this way, just when its in my pack.

Squeamish
04-29-2008, 17:34
I store mine in a Granute Gear compression sack. I take it out when i get home and let it dry. It works great. You can get them at any online store. If you have a 1-2 person, get the Med. If you have a 3-4 person, get the large.

ToyYoda
04-29-2008, 17:41
I was going to pickup the big agnes standalone compress straps, that way I can put it back in the stuff sack it came in (so its not real big around) then put those around it to kill some length.

I'll give it a whirl when I get the tent.. hopefully next week I can pick it up.

Mercy
04-29-2008, 18:23
Uh, ok. Is this more than two straps you could easily make? I have 2 sleeping bag straps ($5.95) that would fit around my Emerald Mountain SL2...

Just a thought.

Mercy

Pedaling Fool
04-29-2008, 18:32
I don't use compression straps, but I do carry my poles outside my tent sac to save space in my pack - I guess I could compress my tent to save a little more room; I wouldn't worry about ruining my tent.

Hoop
04-29-2008, 20:41
She's a lot easier on the eyes than Newt in the commercial.

Tinker
04-29-2008, 21:39
I don't use compression straps, but I do carry my poles outside my tent sac to save space in my pack - I guess I could compress my tent to save a little more room; I wouldn't worry about ruining my tent.
I'm with you. If I take a tent (when with company), I put the tent (when dry) in a stuffsack inside my pack. The poles ride on the outside of the pack in their own stuffsack, strapped under the compression straps and I tie the excess drawcord to a compression strap to prevent loss.