PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Spring Weather of '08

Tennessee Viking
04-29-2008, 22:22
Is everybody loving this spring weather...

I left my apartment in Johnson City today which was in 50 degree weather to drive down to Erwin and up to Beauty Spot to see if any thru-hikers were around. I got to Rock Creek Road and looked up. Unaka's top was white. Not cloudy white. Frosty snowy white from a good frost. I stopped right before Rock Creek Campground and it was windy as hell and chilly. I said screw it...since I was in my hiking shorts and short sleeve. Instead I just went down to Johnny's to see who just came in.

Johnnys was in a bum rush. Everything was booked up, and there was a line for shuttles into town. Plus, there was a burn reroute on No Business and Temple Hill. Talked to Johnny about helping with a shuttle to help out, and took two sectioners to the JC bus station.

Right now, I am back at home, and looking at the data from the weather station on Holston Mountain. 30 degrees. What a wonderful spring day...Whats next snow fall during Trail Days.

This is going to be a season to remember.

Blissful
04-29-2008, 22:57
That's why I advocated a hiker going out in mid April, don't go with a 30 degree bag, you'll regret it. Not atypical to even get a bit of a cold snap in May. Though to have frost this late here in VA is rather rare. I had to wait on planting my tomatoes - won't be until May now.

warraghiyagey
04-29-2008, 23:06
Maine got some good solid rain today to help with the snow melt.:sun

Montego
04-30-2008, 00:32
Yep, sunny and 78* today in Oklahoma City, though windy (normal for this time of year). The grass is green and the trees are leafed out fully. Gonna' be a bumper strawberry crop year. :sun