PDA

View Full Version : Advice for 3 day hike in Virginia (Wild Oak Loop)

deadhorsejoe
04-29-2008, 23:23
My son and I are going to be in the Lexington VA area in early to mid June and would like to do a 3 day 2 night hike while in the area. One of the hikes we have looked at is the Wild Oak National Recreation Trail (Wild Oak Loop) in the George Washington National Forest. Any one know anything about this trail? I have got some info from the internet and there is a good write up in the book 50 Hikes in Northern Virginia but information from anyone who knows the trail or has recently hiked it would be much appreciated. Several of the sources I have looked at state that there are exceptionally steep ascents and long stretches with little water but there is a lot of ridge walking with good views.

Other suggestions for hikes in this area of Virginia would also be welcomed as we are still in the planning stages and have not yet settled on a hike location.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Grayjoe

Skyline
04-30-2008, 00:11
From Hog Camp Gap, you can do a kind of figure-eight hike that takes in Mt. Pleasant, the AT over Cold Mt., and the Old Hotel Trail. Good for a long dayhike, a single overnight, or even a double overnight. Next to the Mt. Rogers area, my favorite place to spend trail time in Virginia.

aficion
04-30-2008, 02:48
Forty-five minutes northeast of Lexington on I-64 The Blueridge parkway and the AT crossover at Rockfish Gap. You can park here and hike north on the AT into Shenandoah National Park where any number of loops, both east and west of the AT are available. The Rip-Rap trail has a great swimming hole. On line, at the SNP website, you will find a hiking map of the southern section of the park which would be a good starting point for your planning. Happy trails.
One advantage of hiking into SNP on the AT is that you pay no fee, although you will need to fill out and carry, a back country permit, which is available at a sign posted where you walk in, as the AT enters the park.
The Mount Pleasant area mentioned above is spectacular, with tremendous views from Cold Mountain, but really lends itself more to a one night trip unless you don't want to cover much ground each day.

KnowledgeEngine
04-30-2008, 02:51
checking to see if my member status is updated yet

wilconow
04-30-2008, 07:59
My son and I are going to be in the Lexington VA area in early to mid June and would like to do a 3 day 2 night hike while in the area. One of the hikes we have looked at is the Wild Oak National Recreation Trail (Wild Oak Loop) in the George Washington National Forest. Any one know anything about this trail? I have got some info from the internet and there is a good write up in the book 50 Hikes in Northern Virginia but information from anyone who knows the trail or has recently hiked it would be much appreciated. Several of the sources I have looked at state that there are exceptionally steep ascents and long stretches with little water but there is a lot of ridge walking with good views.

Grayjoe

I've done the Wild Oak Trail loop twice. Both times in two days. Once the first weekend of May and the other time in the middle of July

There is a ton of elevation gain and climbs, and is an excllent workout (especially when done in two days). It is better to go this time of year as opposed to later in the summer because the views are much better. The leaves will block a lot of the views. Plus the trail tends to get overgrown in some areas

As far as water, there's enough but not a lot. When you cross the North River near Camp Todd, fill up. Then you climb up the ridge (where's there some great, dry camp spots) and when you go down again, there's a stream a little bit off trail to the left. Even though this isn't far after the North River, you want to fill up here because there is no more water until you get back to the trailhead and the other crossing of the North River. There will be many more climbs to go.

The last few miles get a little boring with a gentle descent on a forest road, but after all the climbs, you probably won't mind. Also for the crossing of the North River you do about halfway in, a pair of sport sandals are nice to have--I believe it's possible to rock hop, but it's not easy

Both times I went I barely saw any other people. The only crowd I saw was a group horse procession from some farm. For the most part it has a very primative and secluded feel

I love this trail and will be doing it again this summer. If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Also I created the Wikipedia entry for the trail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Oak_Trail

Here are my photos from July 2006. Notice the rattler

http://picasaweb.google.com/jjs6791/WildOakTrailBackpackingTrip

MOWGLI
04-30-2008, 08:06
Please provide a trip report after hiking this trail. Looks interesting.

FYI, the GW National Forest (outside of the AT corridor) contains the largest roadless areas east of the Mississippi.

Frau
04-30-2008, 08:28
I feel like an idiot. I live 15 minutes from Lexington and have never heard of this trail. I still have a lot to learn.

I can vouch for the Mt. Pleasant hike, altho it isn't an overnighter. Cole Mt. Fields is right there on the AT as well--another spectacular hike.

You can also hike North Mt. just west of Lexington, Big House Mt. fairly close to town, and then the Goshen Pass area has enough trails (some of which loop) to last a few days.

There are also MANY trails in Alleghany Co. (and Bath Co.) just west of Rockbridge Co. The local paper claims there are 180 National Forest hikes in Rockbridge Co. alone. Gotta' love the GW!

Now I have to learn about this Wild Oak Trail. Where is it again? The lower SNP is an hour + north of here.

Frau

wilconow
04-30-2008, 09:21
Now I have to learn about this Wild Oak Trail. Where is it again? The lower SNP is an hour + north of here.

Frau

It is near Stokesville

This is from the gorp.com page (http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_forest/va/hik_geo2.htm)

From Harrisonburg and Bridgewater:
Take State Route 42 south to intersection with State Route 727, just south of Bridgewater. Turn west on SR 727 to Sangersville, then turn south on SR 730. At Stokesville, turn west on SR 718 for about a mile, where SR 718 becomes FDR 95, at intersection with Wild Oak Trail.

From Staunton:
Take U.S. 250 west. Ten miles west of Churchville turn north on State Route 715 (which becomes FDR 96), and travel a little more than four miles to intersection with Wild Oak Trail at point between Segments B and C. This intersection is a watershed divide, and the road descends into the North Bear area.

deadhorsejoe
04-30-2008, 12:01
Thanks everyone for the advice and keep it coming. Thanks especially to Wilconow for his post and supplied links. We may have to give the Wild Oak Loop a try. Mowgli I will provide a trip report if we end up doing the hike.

Wilconow, that is a nice rattlesnake in your pictures. Rattlesnakes don't scare me as much as copperheads Water moccasins (cottonmouths) are the worst however. They are just nasty mean. Don't get me wrong - I have a health respect for rattlesnakes. Rattlesnakes (we have plenty down here in Alabama) usually let you know when you are getting close - copperheads just wait on you to step on them. A cottonmouth will stand its ground and even come to you if mad enough. We will have a dog with us. I am more concerned for the dog than for my son and me because she will not know of the coming danger from a snake.

Thanks once again to everyone.

Whoa Bear
04-30-2008, 15:35
I did part of Wild Oak Loop a couple of years ago. You can actually slack pack the entire loop if you have two vehicle's to shuttle between the road crossings that divide up the sections and there are some awesome camp sites at Camp Todd (at least I think it was camp Todd). Camp May Flather is a Girl Scout camp that does not allow any camping on their property. Also be aware of a trail relocation coming off the ridge to Camp May Flather. We ended up walking into the girl scout camp and couldn't get to our car because of a missed turn. There was not any water that I remember up on the ridges but it was great hiking up there. Be ready for step climbs and descents out of most of the road crossings and give us a trip report if you go.

wilconow
04-30-2008, 15:45
camp todd is a horse camp. i would not want to camp anywhere around there.

Whoa Bear
04-30-2008, 15:54
camp todd is a horse camp. i would not want to camp anywhere around there.

Hmm great point. I'll have to look at a map to see where we camped then. It was right by the river and there were a number of nice camp sites. I didn't do any planning on this trip so I'm not sure what the area was called.

e-doc
05-02-2008, 18:26
Since you are from Alabama, consider Mt Rogers on trip home. Higher elevation=cooler. Many loops.

Also AT around James River Face or Priest. Both are one way but higher elevation and cooler.

Copperheads really are not a concern; small snake=small venom (at least crotalids in US). Rattlers usually biggest=more venom. I would worry about the dog getting bit though. If it gets hit by a rattler, game over (though 30% snake bites dry)

ki0eh
05-02-2008, 21:21
FYI, the GW National Forest (outside of the AT corridor) contains the largest roadless areas east of the Mississippi.

Whereabouts?

wilconow
05-29-2008, 09:24
Hmm great point. I'll have to look at a map to see where we camped then. It was right by the river and there were a number of nice camp sites. I didn't do any planning on this trip so I'm not sure what the area was called.

You may be thinking of the North River Campground (Primitive).. which a few miles from the Wild Oak Trail but I believe there's a connector trail.

We drove down there Friday night and camped there before starting the trail