PDA

View Full Version : Lighter Big Agnes mat available now

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2008, 08:23
I've been eagerly awaiting the new Big Agnes Clearview inflatable mat and their website has it available now in some sizes - others not available til May 15th. I ordered the mummy mat - 20" x 60" (I'm only 58" tall). It weighs 11 oz and my current Big Agnes Air Core weighs 24 oz. So I'm shaving a huge 13 oz off my load and still getting a 2" inflatable mat to sleep on. We'll see how it is for durability. It costs roughly 1/2 the price of my Air Core. I cannot sleep on any other mats or pads by themselves including the Thermarest self inflating, Z rest, or anything thinner than the 2" I get from Big Agnes. Every joint and my back go completely paralyzed with pain on the thinner mats. I use the Z rest as extra insulation on the air mat in cold weather and it works just fine for me. And no, I wouldn't "get used to it" and have no desire to torture myself at night for the sake of a thinner pad or mat. I'll be comfy while I listen to everyone else constantly roll and rustle around trying to get comfortable on their thin pads. :D Oh wait, I won't listen. I wear fabulous sound-tight earplugs and don't hear a thing all night! :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-30-2008, 08:37
Link to specs and prices for new product (http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=8&PHPSESSID=dfc77a719bc9ee70021effd760a13946)

Roots
04-30-2008, 08:46
That looks pretty cool. I know exactly what you mean about the pain of sleeping pads. It took me over 100 miles until my hips and back quit hurting. I use the Therma Rest 3/4 backpacker self inflater mat and a Ridgerest I have cut into 4 pieces. I use 2 of the pieces. One under my hips and one under shoulder area. It still took forever to get used to. Thanks for the info on the BA pad. Hope it works out for you. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-30-2008, 08:53
I use the BA Insulated Air Core pad (http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=3)- it is the only pad I've found that works. Mrs. Baggins, please keep us updated on how this new product compares to the BA Air Core and Insulated Air Core.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2008, 08:55
That looks pretty cool. I know exactly what you mean about the pain of sleeping pads. It took me over 100 miles until my hips and back quit hurting. I use the Therma Rest 3/4 backpacker self inflater mat and a Ridgerest I have cut into 4 pieces. I use 2 of the pieces. One under my hips and one under shoulder area. It still took forever to get used to. Thanks for the info on the BA pad. Hope it works out for you. :)

I had a Thermarest 1" self inflating mat and it was torture. I never slept, just rolled over and over trying to ease the pain. I tried sleeping on just my Z rest pad but the same thing happened. I found myself on my back and unable to move without severe pain. I really do envy those that can slap down a wafer thin pad and go sound asleep for the night.

Roots
04-30-2008, 09:01
I envy the 'waffle sleepers' too. I could not believe all of the people using the thin pads on the trail. I was just jealous. :D
I would love to carry the ultra light pad they have, but I am with you on this one. I have to have comfort. I'm really interested in that pad. We'll see!! Definitely keep us updated.

jhick
04-30-2008, 09:08
I love my BA AirCore pad. I love their stuff, but I hadn't seen these yet. That is quite a weight saving.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2008, 09:41
I envy the 'waffle sleepers' too. I could not believe all of the people using the thin pads on the trail. I was just jealous. :D
I would love to carry the ultra light pad they have, but I am with you on this one. I have to have comfort. I'm really interested in that pad. We'll see!! Definitely keep us updated.

I'll be going out again May 9 - 10th (gotta do that short sec from Stechoah Gap to Fontana that I bailed on a few weeks ago :o) and I hope to have the new mat by then. I will definitely let you all know how it went! I do love my BA Air Core - even when I'm exhausted and still have to blow the thing up in the evenings - but I'm just too small to keep packing the weight of it. I'll keep it around for regular camping when I can keep it inflated for days at a time in one place.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2008, 10:01
Here's the link to Backpacker Mag's review of the Clearview back in March. I too am somewhat leary of the durability of it but I mostly tent camp so it should be fine. I ordered the smallest mummy style for the lightest weight (11 oz) and I'm a small person.

http://www.backpacker.com/articles/12267

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-30-2008, 10:04
I'll be going out again May 9 - 10th (gotta do that short sec from Stechoah Gap to Fontana that I bailed on a few weeks ago :o) and I hope to have the new mat by then. I will definitely let you all know how it went! I do love my BA Air Core - even when I'm exhausted and still have to blow the thing up in the evenings - but I'm just too small to keep packing the weight of it. I'll keep it around for regular camping when I can keep it inflated for days at a time in one place.Given your diminutive stature, could you use the short version with a piece of closed cell foam below your lower legs? You could then use the CCF as a sit pad for breaks.

BTW, That section is a tough - allow some extra time.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2008, 10:09
Given your diminutive stature, could you use the short version with a piece of closed cell foam below your lower legs? You could then use the CCF as a sit pad for breaks.

BTW, That section is a tough - allow some extra time.

I bought the 60" one since I'm only 58" tall. I don't think they come smaller than that.

I know about that section - it's why I didn't do it. I was so completely wiped out and ass-kicked after climbing out of the NOC and then climbing to Cheoah Bald and more climbs after that...........I knew I'd be on my hands and knees trying to get out of Stecoah Gap. I hop, skip and jump down the "downs" and can almost run on the levels, but when faced with a big "up" I'm slowed to a snail's pace and have to stop and rest constantly. Makes for very slow going. Took us 9 hours to climb from the NOC to Sassafras shelter.........I'm that slow. :(

Wags
04-30-2008, 10:09
i just ordered a BA insulated for myself and still have to pick up a pad for my gal. she's finishing up school for 3 weeks or so though, so please keep me posted about this pad. if the durability isn't an issue i'll definitely look into getting this for her. she'll appreciate the weight savings much moreso than i would :D

Marta
04-30-2008, 10:21
A little contrarianism here:

1) Sleep is overrated. You can learn to function with less than the optimal amount. (Ask any parent of an infant.)

2) Once you have entered into the sleep-deprived state, you can sleep in less-than-comfortable conditions, including sleeping on hard surfaces. (And sitting up, for instance.)

3) You will be better off for having trained yourself to accept adversity, and will have rid yourself of another fear, the fear of not getting enough sleep, which is more damaging than the actual lack of sleep.

Johnny Swank
04-30-2008, 11:39
That's one hard lady, with some good advice I might add.

Wags
04-30-2008, 11:52
marta a human being can also survive holocaust concentration camp conditions. does that mean i should subject myself to that? no thx i'll pass

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-30-2008, 12:01
While I can see the wisdom of Marta's suggestions for some situations, I don't believe Marta is suggesting people ignore true pain (as opposed to discomfort).

Before I was in an auto accident with permanent injuries, I used a ridgerest mat. It wasn't real comfortable, but it was comfortable enough for a tired Dino to sleep on. Since the accident, I cannot use it. I'm not just uncomfortable - I'm in bring-tears-to-your-eyes pain within 30 minutes. BA is the only mat I've found that is soft enough for me to sleep without that kind of pain.

Gray Blazer
04-30-2008, 12:11

1) Sleep is overrated. You can learn to function with less than the optimal amount. (Ask any parent of an infant.)

2) Once you have entered into the sleep-deprived state, you can sleep in less-than-comfortable conditions, including sleeping on hard surfaces. (And sitting up, for instance.)

3) You will be better off for having trained yourself to accept adversity, and will have rid yourself of another fear, the fear of not getting enough sleep, which is more damaging than the actual lack of sleep.

Everything you said here is true.

Gray Blazer
04-30-2008, 12:13
I'll be cheking out the BA as I am one who sacrifices in other areas in order to bring my bed with me. Pillow, too. I leave the teddy bear at home.

Marta
04-30-2008, 12:27
I'll be cheking out the BA as I am one who sacrifices in other areas in order to bring my bed with me. Pillow, too. I leave the teddy bear at home.

The BA mat is very comfortable. We own one, plus an assortment of Therm-A-Rests, from camp size to short, thin ones, plus an assortment of CCF pads. (BA has unparalleled customer service. I will be buying from them again.)

For every trip, I weigh the options--light pack vs. more sleeping comfort. On a short, low-mileage trip, sleeping comfort reigns. On a really long trip, moderate comfort is appropriate. For a trip that is going to challenge me because of mileage, or because there is a long period without resupply (i.e., I'm starting with a big load of food) I'll go with the minimum I think I can get away with in terms of warmth and padding.

Personally, I have found it freeing to try out minimalist strategies...and then to add back when I want to, knowing it is a WANT and not a NEED.

Gray Blazer
04-30-2008, 12:29
The BA mat is very comfortable. We own one, plus an assortment of Therm-A-Rests, from camp size to short, thin ones, plus an assortment of CCF pads. (BA has unparalleled customer service. I will be buying from them again.)

For every trip, I weigh the options--light pack vs. more sleeping comfort. On a short, low-mileage trip, sleeping comfort reigns. On a really long trip, moderate comfort is appropriate. For a trip that is going to challenge me because of mileage, or because there is a long period without resupply (i.e., I'm starting with a big load of food) I'll go with the minimum I think I can get away with in terms of warmth and padding.

Personally, I have found it freeing to try out minimalist strategies...and then to add back when I want to, knowing it is a WANT and not a NEED.

Very wise info, indeed. Thankyou.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2008, 12:41
Everything you said here is true.

No it's not. I HAVE been through WEEKS of sleep deprivation because of bad sleeping conditions and did NOT eventually sleep on hard surfaces or sitting up. I collapsed into sobs, bit the heads off of anyone around me, and suffered mightily physically and mentally but I did NOT sleep. (and I have had infants - why on earth would I chose to go back to that??)

I have zero interest in giving up the "fear" of not sleeping. There are ways to get comfortable and I'm going to use them. There are also sleep inducing drugs and I will use them when I feel it's necessary.

Gray Blazer
04-30-2008, 12:46
No it's not. I HAVE been through WEEKS of sleep deprivation because of bad sleeping conditions and did NOT eventually sleep on hard surfaces or sitting up. I collapsed into sobs, bit the heads off of anyone around me, and suffered mightily physically and mentally but I did NOT sleep. (and I have had infants - why on earth would I chose to go back to that??)

I have zero interest in giving up the "fear" of not sleeping. There are ways to get comfortable and I'm going to use them. There are also sleep inducing drugs and I will use them when I feel it's necessary.

Well, I was gonna say I disagreed about sleep being over rated.
Sorry to hear about your sleeping troubles.

Kerosene
04-30-2008, 13:20
Wow, 22 posts about sleeping comfortably and no one has chimed in about just moving to a hammock?! (I love sleeping in my hammock, but it's not for everyone all the time.)

I really wish they offered this in a shortie version to save a few more ounces. I've found that wrapping my mostly empty Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone in a plastic garbage bag (as it's typically wet from sweat or rain), I just prop my lower legs on the inverted pack, taking advantage of the padded framesheet to provide some cushioning. I've successfully used this method down to freezing.

buz
05-01-2008, 08:42
I have the BA insulated air core and for me, it can't be used below 30 degrees, or I will be cold. Sucks the heat right out of me. So I take a shorty ridgerest pad, add on top of the BA, sleep great. This one is uninsulated at all, so I would wonder about any temp below or approaching 40, without insulation. Keep us posted please on results.

I think I would end up taking a ridgerest or other closed cell pad with and negate the weight savings, unless really warm weather camping. So for me, I think I will pass and keep my known BA, which I really like, and gladly lug for the comfort and sleep it provides.

Sleep is not underrated. Its' a must for me. Must be some real grouchy undersleeepers around here if they are like me when I sleep like crap, lol.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-01-2008, 08:58
Buz, something may be wrong with your insulated air core and BA has an excellent return policy. I say this because I'm a very cold sleeper (sleep with an electric blanket at home year round set on 8 (highest is 10). I'm comfortable on the insulated air core alone down to about 25F (10 degrees above the rating). If I get cold the metal in my leg and hip starts throbbing and it feels like my bones are cracking -- there is no way I'm going to sleep thru that.

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2008, 09:48
I have the BA insulated air core and for me, it can't be used below 30 degrees, or I will be cold. Sucks the heat right out of me. So I take a shorty ridgerest pad, add on top of the BA, sleep great. This one is uninsulated at all, so I would wonder about any temp below or approaching 40, without insulation. Keep us posted please on results.

I think I would end up taking a ridgerest or other closed cell pad with and negate the weight savings, unless really warm weather camping. So for me, I think I will pass and keep my known BA, which I really like, and gladly lug for the comfort and sleep it provides.

Sleep is not underrated. Its' a must for me. Must be some real grouchy undersleeepers around here if they are like me when I sleep like crap, lol.

I have the BA Insulated Air Core as well.......and froze on it at 25 degrees. It turned into a block of ice. So I put the Z lite pad on top of it and stay nice and warm. The new Clearview does say it's good down to about 35. I'd use the Z lite with it as well. Either way I'm always carrying that Z lite so I'm not negating the weight loss of the Clearview. I'm just carrying an 11 oz mat now instead of a 24 oz mat.

Wags
05-01-2008, 10:13
i'm pretty sure the BA insulated aircore has 2 side temp ratings. if you have the insulation on teh top side it's good to much colder, but if you flip it the insulation compresses and it's not nearly as warm. maybe you 2 had em flipped upside down

Locutus
05-01-2008, 15:41
I've never used any of these inflatable pads, but to me, a look like they would be about as effective a pool float, which you could get for about 1/2 the price.

What am I missing?

ofthearth
05-01-2008, 15:47

A good pad is like a good biscuit :rolleyes: A true delight.

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2008, 15:56
I've never used any of these inflatable pads, but to me, a look like they would be about as effective a pool float, which you could get for about 1/2 the price.

What am I missing?

Durability. Cheap pool floats leak pretty easily. They're not meant to sleep on or lay on the ground or a shelter floor. And a good quality one is not cheap. Check out any pool supply website. They can run as high as $80 and be incredibly heavy.

ofthearth
05-01-2008, 16:04
Has anyone seen an r rating for the BA clear pad?

Summit
05-01-2008, 17:08
With this new light weight model comes a trade-off . . . insulation, less of it. May be perfect for summer (35* rating) as it'll likely feel a little cool, but it probably will provide a cold bottom in colder weather. I love my "Dual Core" BA mattress which is their heaviest version, but rated at 0*. I often sleep with my sleeping bag just draped over me 'cause I don't like the "mummy restriction," so the extra weight is worth it for the way I like to sleep. This new model would be too cold during my April / October week-long hikes. Hope it works for those who get it though! ;)

Summit
05-01-2008, 17:13

What am I missing?In addition to what Mrs. Baggins mentioned, durability, you also get insulation . . . a BIG, BIG deal! Looks like there will now be three insulation temperature ratings: 35*, 15* and 0*. A cheap pool mattress will become the exact same temperature as the ground it's lying on. You'd need a 20* bag in the mountains in the summer time with one! :-?