PDA

View Full Version : Safe Parking in Erwin, TN area

HikerMan36
04-30-2008, 11:37
Has anyone heard of any recent vehicle burglaries at or near trailheads in the Erwin, Tn. area? Is it safe to park in these areas for an overnighter and what are some parking choices?

Marta
04-30-2008, 12:14
I usually park in the area across the street from a church, just across the river from Uncle Johnny's. (From the interstate, turn right in front of the Holiday Inn, turn left towards the Chestoa Bridge Recreational Area, turn left in front of Uncle Johnny's, drive across the bridge, and there's space to park along the road that goes to the right.) I have parked there overnight several times without incident, most recently in March.

jhick
04-30-2008, 12:17
This site may be helpful....

http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx

p.s. make sure you click on the text for parking info, the thumbnails link to pictures.

Tennessee Viking
04-30-2008, 12:30
There hasn't been any recent incidents. There is quite enough parking at Chestoa and at the bridge crossing. I would suggest going to Uncle Johnny's or the Nolichucky Campground/USA Raft to see if you can park there.

As for parking up at Indian Grave Gap, not a lot of overnight parking goes on here, since it is limited parking. For Beauty Spot, I would only park there if you plan on camping there. It can become a popular camping spot for partiers and hunters.

Then over at Iron Mtn Gap, it is a pretty popular parking for sectioners off of Roan.

Gray Blazer
04-30-2008, 13:47
Then over at Iron Mtn Gap, it is a pretty popular parking for sectioners off of Roan.

Rumor has it that Iron Mountain Gap was a bad place for vandalism. Is that not true?

Tennessee Viking
04-30-2008, 14:16
I haven't heard or seen any recent reports. My club has had problems with horse traffic and trash along the gravel road.

I have run into a lot of people that section out at this point without incident.

The only area that usually gets the bad rep is 19E to Bitter End.