PDA

View Full Version : External pack

partinj
04-30-2008, 12:54
Since i had to delay my trip till 2009 i been looking at some new pack my old jansport weight 5lbs 60z. I been looking at two the outdoor Products Firefly 3750 cu. in and the jansport scout 3850 cu. in. The jansport weight 3lbs. 11oz. that would save me 1lbs. 11oz of my pack weight. But are these too small to start out on Feb 15
what do you guys think.
:-?

hopefulhiker
04-30-2008, 13:25
Luxurylite.com External Carbon Frame only weighs two pounds... you can vary the capacity with different cylinders, has a front pack which is very convenient and counterbalances the weight... I used one for the whole thru in 05.. Pretty pricey but well worth it for the benefits of an external frame...

Jim Adams
04-30-2008, 16:36
Partinj,
You should be fine....you don't need that much more gear for a feb. 15 start and you can strap the extra stuff to the frame if needed. I've been winter hiking with a 3900ci internal w/o problem but I too have returned to the external.

geek

Nomad94
05-01-2008, 14:24
Since i had to delay my trip till 2009 i been looking at some new pack my old jansport weight 5lbs 60z. I been looking at two the outdoor Products Firefly 3750 cu. in and the jansport scout 3850 cu. in. The jansport weight 3lbs. 11oz. that would save me 1lbs. 11oz of my pack weight. But are these too small to start out on Feb 15
what do you guys think.
:-?

The outdoor products pack weight on their site is stated as less than what I found--, it is more along the lines of 4 lb 4 oz, if that matters to you.

Excellent room for me for a week. If you need extra capacity, just lash a stuff sack to the bottom as long has been the tradition with externals. The bottom on the OP sack and frame has lashing points for this purpose-- I attach a dry bag to the bottom with clothes, sleeping pad, etc...

Nice pack imo, great price. The hip belt on the firefly is a little under padded; they call it their youth pack though the frame is identical to the one used on nearly all their other external configurations. The padding on the other models is more substantial and comfortable for me.