PDA

View Full Version : Hoe Cakes a.k.a. Fried Cornbread

SGT Rock
10-08-2002, 21:11
Hoe Cakes

Here is one that makes a great high carb base for any meal.

Hoe Cakes (AKA fried cornbread)

Ingredients Weight

1/2 Cup Cornmeal 3.5oz

1 cup hot water (more or less) 8.0oz

2 dashes butter flakes 0.2oz

1 dash salt 0.1oz

3 dashes powdered milk 0.3oz

olive oil 0.5oz

Total weight: 4.6oz dry 8.0 water

Calories: approximately 550-600

*note* all weights are approximate

Mix all ingredients in a bowl to a consistency that isn't runny but isn't a paste either (similar to pancake batter). Rub a light coat of oil on your frying pan, and then pour the batter into pancake sized cakes. Heat until brown, then flip and heat until brown on the other side. For a variety, try adding a packet of opinion soup mix, taco seasoning, or beef stew flavoring. I like to eat mine with a packet of honey from McDonalds. Make double recipe in the morning and have cornbread with breakfast and lunch.

Another cool thing. In 1999 I was hiking north of Pearisburg and stayed at Rice Field Shelter when a couple of Swedish hikers followed me in. They had a 5 pound bag of flour amoung other things and mayed fried pan bread for dinner. they had some very interesting gear.

Greenmountainguy
11-30-2016, 20:48
Great idea. The only question I have is the prep time. Seems kind of finicky. I guess this is more of a zero day dish, or am I wrong?

illabelle
11-30-2016, 20:59
A 14-year-old thread with in excess of 3400 views and only one response? I'm flabbergasted, dumbfounded, bumfoodled! Shaking my head in disbelief! Incredible!

By the way, you can just bring a packet of cornbread mix, something to mix in, and a frying pan. Forget about the egg and milk, just water is okay. Keep it kinda dry, not so wet as pancakes. Oh, and don't forget the butter to fry them in. Real good. :)

Venchka
11-30-2016, 21:45
Or couscous. Boil water. Add couscous. Let sit 5 minutes. Eat.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenmountainguy
11-30-2016, 21:54
A 14-year-old thread with in excess of 3400 views and only one response? I'm flabbergasted, dumbfounded, bumfoodled! Shaking my head in disbelief! Incredible!

By the way, you can just bring a packet of cornbread mix, something to mix in, and a frying pan. Forget about the egg and milk, just water is okay. Keep it kinda dry, not so wet as pancakes. Oh, and don't forget the butter to fry them in. Real good. :)
I have tried this at home and found a pronounced bitter taste. I assumed it was from the leavening. It should be easy to mix the dry stuff up in individual use bags and rehydrate, maybe in the bag itself. That would cut the mess, but there is still the frying and cleanup when I should be making miles, right? Otherwise you need to stop early when you should be...well you get it.

rocketsocks
11-30-2016, 22:23
I cook mines in my cat hole trowle