PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Shell

twilight
02-04-2004, 21:31
Once upon a time, after reading Jardine's book, I purchased a pattern and materail to make what he called a "hiking shell", but never got around to it. :rolleyes: Basically, a hiking jacket and pants made out of breathable ripstop nylon. I was wondering if anyone has ever made something like this and how practical is it? :-?

Twilight :sun

Peaks
02-05-2004, 09:50
I supsect that most of us use their rain jacket as a wind breaker.

Jaybird
02-05-2004, 10:08
has ever made something like this and how practical is it?

unless you're a sewing wiz...its a load of trouble....if you wanna go the cheaper route....use a poncho or go all out & get a "real" shell...go to your local outfitter & pick up a "breathable", well-ventilated, outter shell.
(REI has a number of good shells with optional fleece liner)

see ya'll UP the trail!

hungryhowie
02-05-2004, 11:43
Once upon a time, after reading Jardine's book, I purchased a pattern and materail to make what he called a "hiking shell", but never got around to it. :rolleyes: Basically, a hiking jacket and pants made out of breathable ripstop nylon. I was wondering if anyone has ever made something like this and how practical is it? :-?

Twilight :sun

As silly as Jardine is about weight, I always thought he was nuts for carring rain and wind gear. I, personally, have trouble justifying the extra weight of a wind shell when I always carry adequate rain gear. My rain gear is windproof too, but not as breathable. I can find a happy medium 95% of the time by unzipping or taking off and putting on a fleece instead.

Don't let this post discourage you from making one though, if that's what you want. Check out the patterns in the store at Thru-hiker.com there's one for the Liberty Ridge Shell that will save you a TON of hassle of getting it right on your own. It's only like $15-20. You can buy top of the line techincal fabrics there too.

-Howie

Rambler
02-05-2004, 16:52
This might help: Wind shell (http://thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=4&cid=74)