PDA

View Full Version : Claytor Expedition question

urbansix
05-01-2008, 00:33
I was looking at the Claytor Expedition as a first hammock/experiment. I like it because of the price, happy medium on weight, and the "by adventurers, for adventurers" feel to their web site. On the web site they say their Jungle model is longer, allowing you to lay diagonally, for flatter more stable position. That suggests that the other models are too short for that. Is being able to lay more diagonally a big enough deal to consider an HH instead? It's the idea the whole HH Asym line is based on I assume. While the Freudian entry method is kind of cool in a attack-of-the-green-nylon-vaginas way, I'm not that crazy about 1) velcro, 2) non-removable mesh, 3) the inability to lounge on it sideways, 4) the slight price diff. ---> tarps I got, I'm sure I can rig up my own fly. I was wondering if there was any major consideration I'm missing, since I know nothing about hammocks yet. Is the Claytor Expedition considerably less comfortable than their Jungle and/or the HH models? Or are they all so amazing it won't matter? Or do I have to invest an initial $90 to discover it for myself (the most likely to happen scenario anyway :rolleyes:) . Guess I'm just wondering if I should go with my initial gut and get the Claytor, or does "everybody" end up with a HH in the end, or wish they did? According to the poll, HH looks to be on to something.

urbansix
05-01-2008, 10:05
Apologies - a bit uncouth in hindsight, and no self-edit privileges.

In addition, does/can one use a normal sleeping bag with the bottom-entry hammocks? Seems like it would be difficult, especially with a mummy that doesn't zip all the way down.

peter_pan
05-01-2008, 10:11
I was looking at the Claytor Expedition as a first hammock/experiment. I like it because of the price, happy medium on weight, and the "by adventurers, for adventurers" feel to their web site. On the web site they say their Jungle model is longer, allowing you to lay diagonally, for flatter more stable position. That suggests that the other models are too short for that. Is being able to lay more diagonally a big enough deal to consider an HH instead? It's the idea the whole HH Asym line is based on I assume. While the Freudian entry method is kind of cool in a attack-of-the-green-nylon-vaginas way, I'm not that crazy about 1) velcro, 2) non-removable mesh, 3) the inability to lounge on it sideways, 4) the slight price diff. ---> tarps I got, I'm sure I can rig up my own fly. I was wondering if there was any major consideration I'm missing, since I know nothing about hammocks yet. Is the Claytor Expedition considerably less comfortable than their Jungle and/or the HH models? Or are they all so amazing it won't matter? Or do I have to invest an initial $90 to discover it for myself (the most likely to happen scenario anyway :rolleyes:) . Guess I'm just wondering if I should go with my initial gut and get the Claytor, or does "everybody" end up with a HH in the end, or wish they did? According to the poll, HH looks to be on to something.

It is a pretty good hammock.... key is ... how tall are you and what is your weight?

pan

Rain Man
05-01-2008, 10:18
I have a HH A-Sym and also have laid in Neo's Claytor (the big one).

The zip-off bug netting is such a big feature, that I'm either going to ditch my HH and buy a Claytor, or I'm going to have my HH altered to have zippers put on.

See this 2Questions' posts in this thread about the zipper modification--
HH zipper (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36232)

Rain:sunMan

urbansix
05-01-2008, 10:23
It is a pretty good hammock.... key is ... how tall are you and what is your weight?

pan

5'-8", 170-ish

Yeah I saw the zipper-mod thread but the HH is already more expensive before mods.:-?

peter_pan
05-01-2008, 21:39
5'-8", 170-ish

Yeah I saw the zipper-mod thread but the HH is already more expensive before mods.:-?

You will be fine in the misquito.... you can gt slightly asm also.... it is a good start... the webbing wicks water tough so either keep it well covered or replace it.

I have about 10 nights in this hammock at 5-11 and 185.

Pan

KnowledgeEngine
05-02-2008, 19:40
RE:urbansix
In regards to the poll my 2 cents would be if you look at search results and advertisitng HH and Clark hammocks have a lot more word of mouth and advertising. Personally I prefer the Claytor, and if you look into business practices HH and company are patent hoggers who are patenting things frivolous like ridgelines. I choose to contribute to Tom Claytor because he seems like a more proper business person. Looking into it he also operates a large horse polo website as well.

I chose the Jungle Hammock due to the inherent camo, and the larger size (I am 6"1) I really like having room to store clothes and packable items in the foot and head ends of the hammock, and I stay dry and can lay flat. I use a Big Agnes pad & bag, have stayed warm down to 30, with a 40 degree bag.

I feel strongly enough on the issue if I want to experience a HH, I will try someone elses' or break out a sewing machine.

BillyBob58
05-02-2008, 20:46
I agree, the Claytor hammocks are at the top for comfort, in my experience, probably a bit more comfortable for me than my HH UL Explorer, which is very comfortable to start with. And it is great to use with a pad, unlike the HH with which it can be a challenge. But I only have experience with the longer Claytors (10 feet), and can't speak to the comfort of the smaller hammocks. ( I am 6'1")