PDA

View Full Version : A brand new bag!!!

slowroller
02-04-2004, 23:50
Ok, its about time i trade in my $40.00 Dicks Sporting good sleeping bag, I have froze my butt off long enough....

So this year I have decided to go all out,, yep you guessed it,,,,,Western Mountaineering :banana Now all I have to do is choose which bag would be best for me, that's where ya'll come in.

I live in the south (like ya'll couldent tell) where the temps very rarely get down in the single digits.. I'm hopeing to be able to use this bag year around,..I would like to stay under $400.00 (yikes).. All this being said which bag would you choose? western mountaineering (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/main.htm)

Happy
02-05-2004, 00:44
For year round use, I would go with the Versalite (15 degree) $355--2lbs.--62 inch girth or Ultralite (20 degree) $295--1 lb 12 oz--59 inch girth....the Ultralite is preferred, if you fit in it OK (what size are you) and don't do a lot of side-sleeping. Some prefer less space to heat up...and others prefer space to add extra clothes to increase warmth and store water bottles, shoes, etc.

Both are full zip for late spring, early fall and summer use as a blanket and have continous baffles to shift the down for the different seasons. You have made a very WISE DECISION!

Rambler
02-05-2004, 00:46
Marmot bags might be less $ or X-fibre (http://www.seriousoutdoorgear.com/sleeping_bags_the_backside_x-fibre.htm)

steve hiker
02-05-2004, 01:19
Also check out the Sequoia tafetta (not to be confused with the Sequoia microfiber/dryloft). Good to 10 degrees and roomy at 66"/61"/48". Exactly $400.

I wouldn't mess with other brands, not if you're spending that kind of money. Can't go wrong with Western Mountaineering.

slowroller
02-05-2004, 19:50
Happy,at only 2 pounds the Versalite 15 degree bag sounds great, I'm sure it would keep me toasty pretty much year round. The only problem is, I am broad in the shoulders, and if I cant sleep on my side I'm in for a miserable night..

As Horse said,the Sequoia would be way more roomy and comfortable for me, but do I want the extra weight?..Cant have my cake and it too huh!!

which would you choose, A little more comfort? or a little more weight? If I make the right decision this bag should last me a very long time. One more ?...Is the extreme lite bags harder to take care of than the normal 3 season bags like the antelope?

Happy
02-05-2004, 20:21
I too, have broad shoulders and a barrel chest...and because of being a "side sleeper tossing and turning", at the Atlanta outfitter that stocks WM bags, I took my PO digital scales and laid in the Ultralite bag (20 degree) for around 25 minutes...too tight a fit for me at 59 inch girth.

I then tried the Versalite (15 degree) at 62 inch girth and was very comfortable! Being in the Atlanta area (rare WM outfitters--two), I am fortunate to have this opportunity...but you can go to any outfitter and try a Marmot 62 inch girth (fairly regular to large girth) bag to compare the feel...only difference is marmot has 1 more inch in the footbox, which I DON"T like...harder to keep warm feet.

As far as extremelite durability, it does take some care but I hiked some with Jan Liteshoe last February 28th and March 1st and she took the Versalite. Go to Trailjournals and read her review at the end of her hike! I E-mailed Skyscraper who hiked in 2002 using the same bag and he was well pleased.
Just put your new bag in a trash compactor bag for safe keeping.

BEFORE you purchase...go to a shop and lay in a 62 inch girth bag for a while and see what YOU feel comfortable in...do you need more room? GOOD LUCK with you new bag, whichever you choose!

slowroller
02-05-2004, 20:44
Thanks Happy, I appreciate your help. I just found the Versalite on sale for $254.00 ..... and they only have 3 left. Im going to think about it a few more days before I make a decision.. thanks again...