PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it...

buff_jeff
05-01-2008, 16:32
In most of the southern states to get off the trail and hitch, catch a bus, train, plane, anything back home, which is Philadelphia for me? I'd have about a week's amount of time to get home. It's a long story but I did something stupid last night and now I have to wait for a citation in the mail. I hear these things can take months to receive and I'd rather not ruin my entire hike. It's risky, but if my family received the letter, they could call me immediately and I could work my way home.

jesse
05-01-2008, 16:35
Was it a traffic citation. Just pay it and be done!

wilconow
05-01-2008, 16:38
Yes you can get home in a week. You're never that far from anything

buff_jeff
05-01-2008, 16:39
No, I wish. It was a small charge for something really, really stupid, yet harmless. I'm way too embarrassed to admit it. It had nothing to do with a violent act, drugs, or alcohol though. The way I see it, 3 things can happen:

1.The police were trying to intimidate me and won't send a citation after all, or it won't be sent for months. This would leave me waiting around here at home and miss out on my opportunity to hike.
2. They send me a citation and it's simply a fine. My parents could take money out of my account and simply pay it.
3. They send the citation and they want me to see a judge. Presumably, they'd give me AT LEAST to do that.

I think my chances of successfully, doing this hike are pretty good, but it's nerve-wracking nonetheless. I don't want to make an incredibly minuscule incident a problem resulting in an arrest warrant because I missed seeing the judge. At the same time, this is my last opportunity to get a hike this long in for a long time, probably a decade.

Locutus
05-01-2008, 16:44
C'mon, you have to tell us what you did. :)

buff_jeff
05-01-2008, 16:46
C'mon, you have to tell us what you did. :)

HAHA, that's all contingent upon how much money you have. Seriously, though, it was a really immature thing that I'm far too embarrassed to comment on. Thing that pisses me off is why the po po even pursued it.

jesse
05-01-2008, 16:50
Go hike. When/if the citation comes, have your parents tell the judge he is out of State and won't be back until __________. If the Judge wants to see you he will set a date after you return. No big deal. If you have not been ordered by a court to not leave the State, you are free to travel, do what ever you want to do. Main thing, don't worry about it until it happens.
BTW, I am not a lawyer. I just play one on the Internet.

SGT Rock
05-01-2008, 16:55
Go hiking. Don't let it screw you up. Deal with each as it comes. I had a summons for a speeding ticket once with a number to call if there was a problem to appear. I called and talked to them because I was going to be out on a mission - they didn't even need a copy of my deployment orders, they just rescheduled me for the following month. You court may or may not do this - but you can figure that out as you go.

mudhead
05-01-2008, 17:16
Another option. Go find the Chief, or other honcho of whatever outfit you ran afoul of. Tell him/her what you just posted. Show remorse. Ask for his her advice.

They really only want you to not be a bonehead. Sir/Maam help. Expect to squirm. Gets 'em warm, and you probably earned it.

Good luck.

buff_jeff
05-01-2008, 17:18
Another option. Go find the Chief, or other honcho of whatever outfit you ran afoul of. Tell him/her what you just posted. Show remorse. Ask for his her advice.

They really only want you to not be a bonehead. Sir/Maam help. Expect to squirm. Gets 'em warm, and you probably earned it.

Good luck.

I sure did earn it. You're right, though. I'm going to call the county clerk next week once the whole thing should be in their system to see if i actually have a pending disorderly conduct citation. If I do, I'm going to call the police. If not, I'm good to go. :banana

Skidsteer
05-01-2008, 17:25
I sure did earn it. You're right, though. I'm going to call the county clerk next week once the whole thing should be in their system to see if i actually have a pending disorderly conduct citation. If I do, I'm going to call the police. If not, I'm good to go. :banana

Good plan. Be proactive and find out what it will take. Then you can hike without worrying about it.

Go ahead and tell us what you did. Betcha I've done something more stupid than you!

buff_jeff
05-01-2008, 17:36
Good plan. Be proactive and find out what it will take. Then you can hike without worrying about it.

Go ahead and tell us what you did. Betcha I've done something more stupid than you!

Long story, short we threw a few water balloons at cars on my street. It's a 25 mph zone and there's rarely any traffic so we figured it was harmless. It was a 5 minute ordeal and the next thing I know there's a cop. My one buddy and myself ran. Another kid was too scared and ratted both of us out. State police brought out 3 cruisers with 5 officers to deal with us. I know it was a damn stupid thing to do but, hell, 5 officers? The officers (I respect all police categorically and understand they have a difficult job, especially dealing with ****bags like us) were all power-trips. Seemed like the biggest thing they'd done all year.

So, that's the story. Not impressive at all. Just a dumbass idea that netted me a disorderly conduct charge.

Bare Bear
05-01-2008, 17:37
Rock had it right. I was a cop for 28 years and Disorderly Conduct is not a biggie anywhere. If you tell them you are out of state until a certain date they will either reschedule your court date or give you the option to pay a fine, or tell you when you must be there. Anyway it will pass. Enjoy the hike, it gives you lots of time to think about lots of things. I bet your karma will improve if you are kind to others onward...........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-01-2008, 17:40
Have a good hike and behave while you are in towns. :)

Skidsteer
05-01-2008, 17:41
Long story, short we threw a few water balloons at cars on my street. It's a 25 mph zone and there's rarely any traffic so we figured it was harmless. It was a 5 minute ordeal and the next thing I know there's a cop. My one buddy and myself ran. Another kid was too scared and ratted both of us out. State police brought out 3 cruisers with 5 officers to deal with us. I know it was a damn stupid thing to do but, hell, 5 officers? The officers (I respect all police categorically and understand they have a difficult job, especially dealing with ****bags like us) were all power-trips. Seemed like the biggest thing they'd done all year.

So, that's the story. Not impressive at all. Just a dumbass idea that netted me a disorderly conduct charge.

Yep, I've done way stupider things than that.

Sounds like you learned your lesson.

SGT Rock
05-01-2008, 17:43

I'm not a cop, just a former 1SG. But I guess the reason that so many came is because you ran. If one cop pulled up and you stayed there to deal with it, it probably would have been less of a big deal. But when you run, they don't know what they are dealing with. The "power trip" was probably just trying to scare you from doing it again - I have been there on that with young soldiers.

Have a good hike, and leave the balloons at home LOL.

buff_jeff
05-01-2008, 18:02
I'm not a cop, just a former 1SG. But I guess the reason that so many came is because you ran. If one cop pulled up and you stayed there to deal with it, it probably would have been less of a big deal. But when you run, they don't know what they are dealing with. The "power trip" was probably just trying to scare you from doing it again - I have been there on that with young soldiers.

Have a good hike, and leave the balloons at home LOL.

You got it, man.:D

You were Army, right?

warraghiyagey
05-01-2008, 18:17
Dude, great story, glad we finally heard it. In the annals of criminal history though, you'll have to search for it under 'Lame.' Which is good for you. Likely it will get thrown out. Have a great hike.:sun
Again, great story, I'm still laughin.:p

Lone Wolf
05-01-2008, 18:19

You were Army, right?

he'll always be army

peanuts
05-01-2008, 18:47
Yep, I've done way stupider things than that.

Sounds like you learned your lesson.

inspiring minds want to know....skids:D:rolleyes:

Skidsteer
05-01-2008, 18:49
inspiring minds want to know....skids:D:rolleyes:

Hell no.

I haven't been caught for most of them and I'm not sure on the statutes of limitations.

peanuts
05-01-2008, 18:58
Hell no.

I haven't been caught for most of them and I'm not sure on the statutes of limitations.

you must have been a very very bad boy.....

SGT Rock
05-01-2008, 18:58

You were Army, right?

he'll always be army
Lone Wolf called it.

mudhead
05-01-2008, 19:09
Hell no.

Repeat after me: "I don't recall."

I would love to hear some "brilliant!" stories, but I have a memory issue myself.

warraghiyagey
05-01-2008, 19:12
but I have a memory issue myself.

Suuuuuuuuure you do.:cool::p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-01-2008, 19:20
::: Dino seen running furiously from this tell-all thread :::

buff_jeff
05-01-2008, 19:26
Dude, great story, glad we finally heard it. In the annals of criminal history though, you'll have to search for it under 'Lame.' Which is good for you. Likely it will get thrown out. Have a great hike.:sun
Again, great story, I'm still laughin.:p

I was laughin my ass off the whole time the cops were chasing me. Got away too, thought I was pretty slick...until my buddy got a call from the other kid saying he'd ratted us out. Didn't feel too slick then.:D

mudhead
05-01-2008, 19:33
Be glad you didn't cause an accident.

Seems you should have gotten that out of your system before now. Must have been a late bloomer.

Careful running from the PD. They have guns, and it hurts when they catch you.

bloodmountainman
05-01-2008, 19:34
Running from the blue-lights is a bad thing, Dude. You don't know what kind of call they just came from or what kind of day they have been having, AND THEY ARE ARMED!

Gray Blazer
05-01-2008, 19:40
Man, I thought it had to do with your screen name and you were hiking in the buff. You need a new name now like balloon man or wet willie.
Have fun on your hike.

buff_jeff
05-01-2008, 19:43
Running from the blue-lights is a bad thing, Dude. You don't know what kind of call they just came from or what kind of day they have been having, AND THEY ARE ARMED!

Yeah, they said they were going to shoot us but I ran anyway. I'm not feeling smug about this at all if that's the impression I've been putting off. It was a one-time thing. Stupid.

SGT Rock
05-01-2008, 19:57
I assume you have seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaveytx07vs

warraghiyagey
05-01-2008, 19:58
I was laughin my ass off the whole time the cops were chasing me. Got away too, thought I was pretty slick...until my buddy got a call from the other kid saying he'd ratted us out. Didn't feel too slick then.:D

Damn wuss buddies.:mad::p
You'll be fine dude.:sun

buff_jeff
05-01-2008, 20:07
I assume you have seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaveytx07vs

:D I didn't intend to let the cops catch me. I've been pt'ing too hard for that.

deeddawg
05-02-2008, 13:50

This truth was underlined recently here when an apartment complex resident saw a teenager walking around with a BB gun. Thought it was real. Called the police.

Police search the area, see the young man walking with the BB gun. Looks like a real gun. They try to stop him, he runs away -- into the complex.

Put yourself in the officer's shoes. You have a complaint of someone walking around with a gun. You've seen this individual with what looks to be a gun. When you ask him to stop so you can find out what's going on, he starts running away, attempting to lose you (the officer) in an apartment complex.

End result: dead teenager that would have been alive if he'd NOT run from the police.

Feral Bill
05-02-2008, 14:47
End result: dead teenager that would have been alive if he'd NOT run from the police.[/quote]

I lost a good student fleeing the police in a car last fall. Wrecked in front of his house with his brother watching in the yard. Made for a bad school year.

buff_jeff
05-02-2008, 19:17
Man, I thought it had to do with your screen name and you were hiking in the buff. You need a new name now like balloon man or wet willie.
Have fun on your hike.

My dad's trail name alternates between Dumbass and Gunga-Din right now. Maybe I could swap for Dumbass.