PDA

View Full Version : Average speed thru SNP?

BobbyNoel
05-02-2008, 13:34
I'm returning for another AT section, Shenandoah National Park to Harper's Ferry, 23rd of May. I'm trying to gauge the time, last year thru the Smoky's I was at 8-10 miles/per day, I'm 66yo. I assume the NOBs should be coming thru at this time?

Rob

Blissful
05-02-2008, 14:00
Yes, lots of NoBos then, but they will breeze by at 20 plus miles a day. SNP is a good trail without any major difficulty. There is also the rollercoaster area in northern VA that can be a little tough if you aren't in condition. Shouldn't have any problem doing ten plus miles, maybe more in SNP.

CrumbSnatcher
05-02-2008, 14:15
S.N.P. if you wanted,and planned it out, you can carry alot less provisons. and eat at the campgrounds,lodges and waysides. shelters in the park are not spaced out very well. plan ahead and you'll have a great time. you will be fine adding 4-6 more miles per day... ROLLERCOASTER south of H.F. slows down alot of hikers... have a great hike.

rafe
05-03-2008, 10:33
I am by habit a fairly slow hiker. I averaged 15 miles per day over the central part of the AT last summer. But my longest-mile days were in SNP, and that was without really trying very hard. There may have been several factors involved -- eg., the weather, or my general condition and fitness. But I think it has to do with the nature of the trail in SNP -- there are a few serious verticals, but the trails are generally smooth, wide, and beautifully graded.

sasquatch2014
05-03-2008, 17:02
I just completed the section from Va 522 to North of HF just a week or so ago. More than the climbs of the Roller Coaster the thing that took its toll were a few extended rocky sections. This is in contrast to what the trail in SNP is like from my understanding. These are not sections that will bring you to a crawl but they do slow you some, or at least they slowed me some. I think it is very possible for 10 to 15 mile days even through these sections without too much difficulty as a section hiker. The NoBos I did meet pulled a 23 miler in the rain to get to Bears Den from Manassas Gap. It took me two days.

Rain Man
05-03-2008, 18:02
I did the SNP last summer in 7 days, averaging 15 miles per day. Actually I did more than that for 6 days (one day was almost 20 miles) but the last day was a partial day, so that reduced the average.

The SNP is not hard hiking, but the miles are no cakewalk, either. Oh, about half my days I was slack-packed.

I'm 10 years younger than you.

Rain:sunMan

clured
05-03-2008, 18:40
If you did 8-10 in the smokies, you'll be able to do about 15 in SNP. People aren't kidding when they say it's easy.

Skyline
05-03-2008, 18:47
If you go hut-to-hut thru SNP, it should take about a week. Due to political decisions made a generation ago, however, some of our huts were eliminated, making distances between those that remain longer than you find on many parts of the AT outside SNP. (In SNP, overnight shelters are actually referred to as "huts".)

The AT thru SNP is well maintained by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. There are some noticeable, prolonged elevation changes in places, and there are some stretches where the small rocks are aggravating. But mostly, it's good footing.

Late May is the early part of NOBO thru-hiker Prime Time. By all means, carry a tent, tarp, or hammock as huts fill up fast (no reservations; first-come, first-served tho you will need a free backcountry permit to stay overnight in the woods including huts). Each hut has several designated tentsites available nearby. There are also places in between shelters to camp legally, but they aren't generally noted in guidebooks or on maps.

If you need help with logistics, transportation, etc., check out www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com).