PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions about Trail Days

Earl Grey
05-02-2008, 21:06
First is I will be arriving sometime on Friday May 16 and would like to help out with any whiteblaze.net stuff or whatever. This is of course if there is a dog sitter available. Someone said there was in a different post. Is there a way to verify that?
Having never been before and from reading other posts it seems camping at The Place would be my first choice. Not really into staying up all night and carryin on at the main campground. Will they run out of space fast and do they allow dogs at The Place?
Thats all I can think of right now.

minnesotasmith
05-02-2008, 23:55
First is I will be arriving sometime on Friday May 16 and would like to help out with any whiteblaze.net stuff or whatever. This is of course if there is a dog sitter available. Someone said there was in a different post. Is there a way to verify that?
Having never been before and from reading other posts it seems camping at The Place would be my first choice. Not really into staying up all night and carryin on at the main campground. Will they run out of space fast and do they allow dogs at The Place?

1) Your chances of getting a spot there are squat. The competion for hostel space during Trail Days is like that for the attention of a Playboy centerfold if she were the only female on an aircraft carrier, e.g., it's not worth the effort to even try.

2) IMO it's good trail manners to let people who hiked into Damascus have the hostel then. You can drive to lodging; they can't.

3) I don't specifically know if they allow dogs, but as most don't, I'd find out first before counting on it.

Lone Wolf?

Lone Wolf
05-03-2008, 00:15

no alcohol, dogs or smoking allowed at The Place

The New Wally
05-03-2008, 07:38
The Place is first come first served with a donation of $4.00 per day. Camping is allowed on the lawn and that is a $4.00 donation. No smoking, Drinking or Dogs allowed.

Earl Grey
05-04-2008, 13:16
Yes you are right about that, let hikers that are hiking this year have that space. I wasnt sure how much space there was at the Place but it doesnt matter anyway since they dont allow dogs.

What about Bear Tree campground a few miles out of there?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/recreation/camping/beartree.shtml

I didnt see anything about dogs. Can someone tell me if this is a good place or not?

Hikerhead
05-04-2008, 21:10
Yes you are right about that, let hikers that are hiking this year have that space. I wasnt sure how much space there was at the Place but it doesnt matter anyway since they dont allow dogs.

What about Bear Tree campground a few miles out of there?

I didnt see anything about dogs. Can someone tell me if this is a good place or not?

It's a good place. Nice and quite the times I've stayed there during traildays. Dogs allowed ?....Yes...but please clean up after it.

The gates there close around midnight I believe.

Newb
05-14-2008, 08:35
no alcohol, dogs or smoking allowed at The Place

My dog will be pissed that he can't bring his bong to the place