PDA

View Full Version : Review of AT Guide for Maine / ATC

Peter Dodge
05-02-2008, 22:11
I'm planning a trip for the last 50 miles (or first 50...) of the AT ending at Katahdin. This will start right around Jo-Mary Road. I've been looking for guides and just wanted to know if this is a good one for this section. I can get it for about $17 at work. Thanks for any advice.

Rambler
05-15-2008, 16:11
The guide books help, but for me it is the maps. The Maine maps are nicely divided into sections, include a nice mileage chart and the trail profile which is most helpful for anticipating the steeps and downs, and they are waterproof. In short, the guide is worth it for the maps. (Map 2 covers the first 15 miles from Jo-Mary Rd, Map 1 covers the rest of your hike) That frist 15 miles is almost level, only 1 500' bump. 4 miles in is Antlers Campsite. Beautiful, level ground, big pines, right on the Lower Jo Mary Lake with a view of Katahdin. What a place to camp! BTW Do not try to do Katahdin in one day from Abol Campground. Spend the night before at the Birches.

Cookerhiker
05-15-2008, 16:25
Also you can order individual maps from the MATC from their website. I ordered a single one last year to replace one I had lost. There are 7 maps covering Maine but all of the stretch you're hiking is on one map.