PDA

View Full Version : How many packs must I go thru?

Cuffs
05-02-2008, 23:56
Lets see...

Started with a Gregory Shasta. Nice, but on the heavy side. Sold at yard sale.
Next was an Osprey Atmos 50. Very nice! Still have this pack. Love having pockets for organizing. Somewhat small capacity (3K ci). Good size for warm weather hiking.

Golite Galaxy was next. Again, another great pack, but not quite right for me. Sold at yard sale.
Converted to a hammock. Tho my shelter setup is lighter, it is bulkier (underquilt included.) I went and got the Atmos in the 65L (4K ci). Thinking it would be just as great as the 50... not so. This is the mens version of the pack, the womens cut is the Aura. Wondering if this would ride better on the hips. After 4 days on the trail, I just wasnt feeling too comfortable with this pack.

I do like Osprey, they put pockets on their packs.

Any suggestions for other packs to look at that have pockets? I like to be organized.

I stopped by the local store and looked at the Osprey Ariel 65. While slightly heavier than the Atmos, it did have slightly beefier padding in both the shoulder harness and the hip belt.
Any gals use this pack?

Natchez
05-03-2008, 00:07
ULA Catalyst or Circuit I am a hammock sleeper and am about to down size to the Conduit

GG Vapor Trail That is what I have now and it is so comfy I have had a Shasta and a Z pack which are both for sale good packs but the Vapor Trail is like a pillow on your back and 2lbs I have had 30 lbs in it with out any problems

Every Blessing
Alan

Golite Pinnacle lite and big not sure how comfy but good price

Six Moons makes some cool packs

So does Gossamer Gear

Ewker
05-03-2008, 00:18
REI is having their big sale right now until the 11th I think..ought to find a good one at a cheaper price now

greentick
05-03-2008, 00:23
Another vote for ULA Circuit. 3750ci might fit your bill. 3 sizeable outer pockets and 2 nice hipbelt pockets. 2lbs and has a suspension to boot.

rafe
05-03-2008, 00:24
I don't know of any internal frame pack that will let you "organize" like an external. OTOH, I went for years looking for an internal frame pack to replace my beloved Camp Trails external. The pack that finally did it was a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. Light and comfy, with enough of a suspension to carry decent loads (30+ lbs.)

greentick
05-03-2008, 00:29
I should have mentioned that I have put 35+# (by accident on a shakedown hike) in the Circuit and it rode nicely. I was happy that it lived up to the good stuff I had read and heard about ULA. Normally I carry around 25#.

Alligator
05-03-2008, 00:47
Granite Gear Vapor Ki has four pockets.

take-a-knee
05-03-2008, 00:50
I should have mentioned that I have put 35+# (by accident on a shakedown hike) in the Circuit and it rode nicely. I was happy that it lived up to the good stuff I had read and heard about ULA. Normally I carry around 25#.

You really should carry at least twice that weight, just for old times sake.

greentick
05-03-2008, 01:03
But Sarge, Ise retired from those weights, emphasis on "tired."

4eyedbuzzard
05-03-2008, 02:13
My daughter has a Gregory Maven (52 L - 3200 in^2). The bigger version is the Gregory Deva (63 L - 3900 in^2). Her Maven is heavier than the Osprey Aura but she thinks it carries a load a lot better and is more comfortable at the end of the day.

Hooch
05-03-2008, 03:20
You really should carry at least twice that weight, just for old times sake.Speaking as an old USMC Recon radio operator, I don't think so. I'll pass, thanks. :D

Cuffs, I've heard lots of good stuff about ULA's packs. You may want to seriously consider one.

Marta
05-03-2008, 05:59
Here's the thing--

More pockets=heavier.

I also like to be organized, and it was a wrenching change to switch from many pockets to a big, empty bag. But I am oh so glad I took the plunge.

There is a method: Ta da! Stuff sacks.

Seriously, it works to have a few unique-looking stuff sacks, that you always use for the same types of things. It's much more flexible than pockets because you can go big, or go tiny, depending on the trip.

I also like a large mesh pocket on the outside, plus small pockets on the waistbelt. ULA Conduit is my summer pack now. Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus for longer trips.

Egads
05-03-2008, 07:39
Cuffs

Try the Gossamer Gear G5 &/or the ULA packs. Either work with hammocks & quilts.

Egads

Summit
05-03-2008, 07:56
I have an older version of:

http://www.rei.com/product/766117

It's heavy at 6+ lbs, but carries a good load well. It has two side and one front pocket and entry zippers to the main compartment from every angle. Gregory makes great riding harness systems. I love mine! ;)

WishIWereHiking
05-03-2008, 08:51
I got a Vapor Trail (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.html) and haven't looked back. It's amazingly comfy! They have a womens' version (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_ki/index.html) as well and I am friends with a woman who has it and she absolutely loves it. I'm a very tall, thin woman so I always buy mens' packs and at 2lbs I am crazy about this one (the mens' comes in a really bright, pretty blue, too.) As for pockets, these don't come with them standard but you can order a huge array of them to add. I got a lid (http://www.granitegear.com/products/accessories/ultralight_lid/index.html) and a shoulder strap pocket (http://www.granitegear.com/products/accessories/packpockets/index.html) for mine for little extras like my tiny digital camera (easier access and not too much extra weight). Hope this helps!

Programbo
05-03-2008, 09:16
While slightly heavier than the Atmos, it did have slightly beefier padding in both the shoulder harness and the hip belt.

There`s part of your answer right there.

Captn
05-03-2008, 09:17
I'm curious, what is it about these packs that you don't like?

I went through the same process until I finally started leaving most of my stuff at home. Then the pack didn't seem as important anymore once I simplified my kit.

I settled on a ULA conduit, which I really like the comfort and size of. For my beast I have a Nimbus Lattitude which I've hauled 40 lbs in with no problems, but unless I'm hauling lots of water ..... 98% of my trips are using the conduit (or my MYOG Jardine pack and my Son carries the Conduit).

So .... is it the load or is it the pack?

SGT Rock
05-03-2008, 09:19
Here's the thing--

More pockets=heavier.

I also like to be organized, and it was a wrenching change to switch from many pockets to a big, empty bag. But I am oh so glad I took the plunge.

Seriously, it works to have a few unique-looking stuff sacks, that you always use for the same types of things. It's much more flexible than pockets because you can go big, or go tiny, depending on the trip.

I also like a large mesh pocket on the outside, plus small pockets on the waistbelt. ULA Conduit is my summer pack now. Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus for longer trips.
Marta said what I was thinking. I am an organizer as well, but use a Gearskin which is the antithisis of a pack divided by pockets. I carry 5 stuff sacks in my pack to divide up the gear into their sub-groups. So these bags not only store and seperate, they also add a layer of rain protection.

ofthearth
05-03-2008, 10:34
Here's the thing--

More pockets=heavier.

And with stuff sacks, when you set your tent up (everybody uses tents right :) ) you've got your stuff/things already in a- tadaa- stuff sack and not all over the place.

rafe
05-03-2008, 10:37
Stuff sacks are the only way to go with an internal frame pack. Silnylon sacks add very little weight.

FWIW, I'd also suggest, if you're carrying a tent, to carry it outside the pack. That makes things a lot simpler and quicker when you arrive at camp in bad weather.

Summit
05-03-2008, 11:36
I also use three silnylon stuff sacks for organizing. I echo others that it is the way to go for us type-A personality over-organized individuals! :eek: :p

Cuffs
05-03-2008, 18:07
Answers:

I already use stuff sacks.
1 for hammock & UQ (sil so it wont get wet)
1 for clothes
1 for food/kitchen
1 first aid/personal kit
1 for sleeping bag (again sil, cuz its a down bag)
All in different colors so that I know whats what.

What dont I like about these packs? The fit/comfort. The Atmos 50 is the only one that sits properly on me. Well, the Golite Galaxy did too, but it did not have the hip belt pockets and I really like the pockets on the hip belt for snacks, lighter and TP...

Right now, I do throw hammock, UQ, bag, clothes, food/kitchen in the main compartment of the pack. 1st aid & personals kit is in one front pocket, rain gear and water filter in the other and my tarp is in the front-most mesh pocket. Water in the 2 side pockets.

Right now my concern is comfort of how the pack rides. Im just tired of trying them on...

The weight of my gear is not the issue. While I was on the heavy side on this last trip (due to the food I chose to take) Normal load for a week long trip/no resupply is about 32# including 2 liters of water.

I have looked at all the packs suggested online. Now the problem is finding a local dealer. Im in Alabama. Not going to happen.

SGT Rock
05-03-2008, 18:54
Answers:

I already use stuff sacks.
1 for hammock & UQ (sil so it wont get wet)
1 for clothes
1 for food/kitchen
1 first aid/personal kit
1 for sleeping bag (again sil, cuz its a down bag)
All in different colors so that I know whats what.

What dont I like about these packs? The fit/comfort. The Atmos 50 is the only one that sits properly on me. Well, the Golite Galaxy did too, but it did not have the hip belt pockets and I really like the pockets on the hip belt for snacks, lighter and TP...

Right now, I do throw hammock, UQ, bag, clothes, food/kitchen in the main compartment of the pack. 1st aid & personals kit is in one front pocket, rain gear and water filter in the other and my tarp is in the front-most mesh pocket. Water in the 2 side pockets.

Right now my concern is comfort of how the pack rides. Im just tired of trying them on...

The weight of my gear is not the issue. While I was on the heavy side on this last trip (due to the food I chose to take) Normal load for a week long trip/no resupply is about 32# including 2 liters of water.

I have looked at all the packs suggested online. Now the problem is finding a local dealer. Im in Alabama. Not going to happen.You will probably have to make a trip to someplace like Hot Springs, Neels Gap, or some other place with a really good outfitter. We have a few darn good ones in this area - three in Knoxville, one in GatVegas, and one in Maryville. If you decide to come out this way I can show you these different places with a wide variety of makes/models.

Footslogger
05-03-2008, 19:40
Interestingly enough Cuffs ...I started off with the Shasta too - - about 20 years ago. Carried it all over the place but finally decided my body needed a break. I migrated down to the Osprey Aether 60 and then ultimately to the Granite Gear packs (I have the Vapor Trail and the Nimbus Ozone).

The Granite Gear packs don't have a lot of exterior pouches but I added a couple to the hip belt and I also wear a fanny pack along with the backpack when I hike. Have found that by using different colored stuff sacks I can stay very organized inside the pack and the external pouches I added are all I need. I also added something called the "Lid" to my Granite Gear packs which are small stretchy pack hoods that don't carry a lot but allow me to keep quick access items handy.

'Slogger

take-a-knee
05-03-2008, 20:02
Interestingly enough Cuffs ...I started off with the Shasta too - - about 20 years ago. Carried it all over the place but finally decided my body needed a break. I migrated down to the Osprey Aether 60 and then ultimately to the Granite Gear packs (I have the Vapor Trail and the Nimbus Ozone).

The Granite Gear packs don't have a lot of exterior pouches but I added a couple to the hip belt and I also wear a fanny pack along with the backpack when I hike. Have found that by using different colored stuff sacks I can stay very organized inside the pack and the external pouches I added are all I need. I also added something called the "Lid" to my Granite Gear packs which are small stretchy pack hoods that don't carry a lot but allow me to keep quick access items handy.

'Slogger

My GG Vapor Trail has two belt pouches, the lid, and two side pockets, it now weighs almost three pounds but everything is organized.

Squeamish
05-03-2008, 21:12
Just took a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian on a 16 mile hike last weekend in Knobstone, it felt GREAT!!! The pask is light, comftorble, well built and wee priced. Check out camp saver for it or Trail Space.

Cuffs
05-04-2008, 15:57
Ive been to Mtn Crossings, love them! I like trying on packs before buying for the obvious reasons. But a pack that is weighted and tried on in-store, sometimes behaves differently once on the trail (my Atmos 65 did this.) I guess Im going to have to make a trip to a store that has the widest selection (suggestions?) and try them all one. Looks like I'll be spending the day out of town! Then I will go home and find the best deal online (yea, bargain shopper!) Then, some of you will be able to get some great deals on 2 packs that I will be selling!

Oh the drama!

Ewker
05-04-2008, 16:52
I don't know about Mtn Crossings but if you buy at REI you can take it back.

Due to my weight loss my the large Osprey Atmos 65 was to big. REI let me swap it out for another pack. I tried the medium Atmos 65 and it never felt right. I ended up with the medium REI Ridgeline. They told me to try it out and if it didn't work bring it back.

Erin
05-04-2008, 20:33
Cuffs, I loved the post. I have a Kelty something that is going into the garage sale. Soo heavy and not at all comfortable. I have a Gregory Deva? that I love, but it is heavy so my favorite is my exterior frame Camp Trails. Jeez. Backto the updated thing that my brother loaned me for my first ever hike. I am only five feet tall so it was hard to find a pack in this area that fit. I finally went to Fayetteville, Arkansas. Better luck but not the stuff you all are mentioning except Osprey.
I use a stuff sack system too and love it. Learned from someone else. Color coded and the same every time.I continue to enjoy the excellent suggestions and tips on this site.

Hikerhead
05-04-2008, 21:54
Ive been to Mtn Crossings, love them! I like trying on packs before buying for the obvious reasons. But a pack that is weighted and tried on in-store, sometimes behaves differently once on the trail (my Atmos 65 did this.) I guess Im going to have to make a trip to a store that has the widest selection (suggestions?) and try them all one. Looks like I'll be spending the day out of town! Then I will go home and find the best deal online (yea, bargain shopper!) Then, some of you will be able to get some great deals on 2 packs that I will be selling!

Oh the drama!

MRO in Damascus have sand bags that they load into the pack your looking at and let you walk around town for a try out. They'll load it up with whatever weight you normally carry. Mtn Crossing doesn't do that? Take your gear, load it up, walk up the trail a bit.

deeddawg
05-05-2008, 08:30
ILooks like I'll be spending the day out of town! Then I will go home and find the best deal online (yea, bargain shopper!)

Am I understanding this right? You're going to go to a store, use the stores stock, the salesperson's time and experience, then go home and order the item online to save a few bucks?

It's stuff like this that makes it more and more difficult to find a good outfitter.

Please, if you're going to take advantage of being able to go see and try stuff in person, support that business and buy that item there.

take-a-knee
05-05-2008, 09:26
Am I understanding this right? You're going to go to a store, use the stores stock, the salesperson's time and experience, then go home and order the item online to save a few bucks?

It's stuff like this that makes it more and more difficult to find a good outfitter.

Please, if you're going to take advantage of being able to go see and try stuff in person, support that business and buy that item there.

I agree.

Cuffs
05-05-2008, 13:10

I see it differently... like the philosophy of HYOH... Shop your own way... to each his own.

Summit
05-05-2008, 20:13

Please, if you're going to take advantage of being able to go see and try stuff in person, support that business and buy that item there.Sorry, but I support Cuffs' shopping philosophy as well. It's a competitive business and I vote economically. NPR is the name of my game . . . Never Pay Retail! ;) :)

I support retailers like REI . . . I just buy my stuff when they have sales primarily.

80% of my purchases are on-line . . . it's a changing world. Anyone who would advocate paying, say $250 for a tent they could get for $130 elsewhere must make a lot more money than me! :eek: ;)

Egads
05-05-2008, 20:36
I disagree on the philosophy of trying out gear at the brick & mortar store and then buying on the internet unless, the B&M store does not have your product in stock, is unwilling to negotiate the price, has a terrible return policy, or gives you poor service.

But, it's your money. Spend it as you wish.

Egads

deeddawg
05-05-2008, 21:50
Sorry, but I support Cuffs' shopping philosophy as well. It's a competitive business and I vote economically. NPR is the name of my game . . . Never Pay Retail! ;) :)

I support retailers like REI . . . I just buy my stuff when they have sales primarily.

80% of my purchases are on-line . . . it's a changing world. Anyone who would advocate paying, say $250 for a tent they could get for $130 elsewhere must make a lot more money than me! :eek: ;)

Don't get me wrong, I am all for buying stuff online. I also probably make 80% of my purchases online. Shipping is usually cheaper the time and gas to go find the same thing at a B&M store.

What I disagree with is using the local brick and mortar as a showroom to try stuff out and then buying it online. If you're going to buy online, then do so. Don't be a hypocrite by making use of the local shop's advantage (allowing you to touch/see/try the item) and then stiffing them to save a couple bucks. In that case I feel you're taking unfair advantage.

I know I'm tilting at windmills though. Today's society is all about what's in it for me today with little thought about the future or anyone who might come after me.

4eyedbuzzard
05-05-2008, 21:53
... NPR is the name of my game . . . Never Pay Retail! ;) :)

Funny your avatar doesn't look Jewish - wait, actually it does!
WWJD - Why Wouldn't Jesus Discount [shop]? ;)

If I can buy something at the brick and mortar store at a reasonable price I will. I especially find clothing better purchased there. But recently my daughter was looking for a pack. EMS wanted $229. I bought it for $120 online. I wouldn't mind paying $140 to $150 for it at EMS, but I've recently purchased some new gear online and I paid less than half of retail by shopping and buying online vs brick and mortar. I wouldn't mind paying a 10 to 20 percent premium for personal service - but double? Ain't no way.

Summit
05-05-2008, 22:08
Don't get me wrong, I am all for buying stuff online. I also probably make 80% of my purchases online. Shipping is usually cheaper the time and gas to go find the same thing at a B&M store.

What I disagree with is using the local brick and mortar as a showroom to try stuff out and then buying it online. If you're going to buy online, then do so. Don't be a hypocrite by making use of the local shop's advantage (allowing you to touch/see/try the item) and then stiffing them to save a couple bucks. In that case I feel you're taking unfair advantage.

I know I'm tilting at windmills though. Today's society is all about what's in it for me today with little thought about the future or anyone who might come after me.I don't disagree with what you've said. However, when it comes to items that require "fit," like clothing and backpacks, I go to the "brick and mortar" to make sure I'm ordering the right size, avoiding hassle and cost (to me and the online seller) of having to do a return. I try on clothing for sizing without the help of a sales person (if they let me) so as not to take advantage of their resources. It's hanging on the rack for someone to buy anyway, so I see no harm or unfair advantage in that. REI, my B&M, gets hundreds of my dollars annually, just not from the stuff they over-price! ;)

My salesman/friend at REI told me that 70% of their annual revenue comes during their several-times-a-year sales, so that tells me that they have carefully calculated their profit margins, and are doing just fine on margins at sale prices. So if they want my economic vote (sale), they need to price the item I want below the ridiculous full retail price! ;)

FeO2
05-05-2008, 22:09
How many Packs must a Cuff hike with
Before you call her a woman?
Yes, 'n' how many more must Cuff try on
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, 'n' how many times must the packs have pockets
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

:D okay it was lame....

Summit
05-05-2008, 22:16
Funny your avatar doesn't look Jewish - wait, actually it does!
WWJD - Why Wouldn't Jesus Discount [shop]? ;)Glad you corrected yourself! I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you were not making a prejudiced, stereotype statement about Jews, however, it sure could be construed that way! :eek:

Jesus did discount shop. He and his disciples gleaned for food often when hungry. He also multiplied the fish and bread twice to make a little go farther, which is what we do with our income when we bargain shop! :) :p

Cuffs
05-05-2008, 22:56
Love the song, thanks! I needed that chuckle!

As for shopping... as someone stated above... some retailers charge alot more than what I can buy online for... I will buy online. If its a matter of a few dollars, I will buy in-store. I have been an REI member for many many years. I love them, but if I can find the same product and save bunches by buying online, shame on them.

BTW, My personal philosophy is WWJBD.

Wise Old Owl
05-05-2008, 23:17
lets talk about REI, as a member I have noticed the Annual Check getting smaller and smaller. I suddenly realized that they have only slightly better pricing here at my favorite store over EMS and others. They are getting more responsive - slowly. They have a better selection, less local stores. They know how to make money - they just began to figure out how to stop loosing it. In the last year they implimented better security. Honestly they are great to visit for an "impulse" shop. On line they are great. In person well let's just say they need to stop moving the store around so much. Don't get me wrong, I like the store but am very hard to please.... I just don't like paying full price for anything. Shop on line!

Cuffs
05-06-2008, 11:45
I can compare gear shopping to car shopping. Do you just walk in to the first dealer you run across, plunk down the sticker price and leave with a new vehicle? I certainly hope not! That first dealer may only have Yugo's (are they even still out there?). Your first dealer may be Hummers... I cant afford an H3 (yet). And when you do find a car you like, do you actually pay sticker price? Again, I certainly hope not. There is nothing wrong with shopping around to find the best deal.

Hooch
05-06-2008, 11:58
That first dealer may only have Yugo's (are they even still out there?)......Si, Senorita (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-YUGO_W0QQitemZ220231451319QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 220231451319&).

taildragger
05-06-2008, 12:07
I can compare gear shopping to car shopping. Do you just walk in to the first dealer you run across, plunk down the sticker price and leave with a new vehicle? I certainly hope not! That first dealer may only have Yugo's (are they even still out there?). Your first dealer may be Hummers... I cant afford an H3 (yet). And when you do find a car you like, do you actually pay sticker price? Again, I certainly hope not. There is nothing wrong with shopping around to find the best deal.

Nope, usually look around for a used car thats right, then buy it online :D

I'd say buy it local unless they are taking you to the cleaners. The local shop here is full of doofs for the most part (I think I saw one of them worshipping a Ray Jardine statue) who really lack a lot of experience when it comes to most merchandise.

OTOH, they're prices on smaller items is the same as most online places. So I go there if I need something like a balaclava, or aqua mira

sofaking
05-06-2008, 12:23

I know I'm tilting at windmills though. Today's society is all about what's in it for me today with little thought about the future or anyone who might come after me.

of course! in the 'new republic consumer law book primer' it outlines a citizens' duties to consume and/or purchase durable goods only in the pre-approved corporate fashion...every good consumer/citizen got the memo, right? don't let the i.r.s. or the retail police find out if you're being a scofflaw and shirking your capitalist/ nationalist responsibilities...the consequences may be dire!:eek:

it's not tilting at windmills- it's having some unfounded ridiculous idea that there is an 'approved and responsible' way to shop, and that , is just plain silly.:-?

Red Hat
05-06-2008, 12:37
Cuffs, I have had the same problems... started with an inexpensive REI internal back in 2003, moved to a Mountainsmith Chimera in 04 cause it was lots lighter, but ended up being wrong size (needed small, not medium). Then went for a Golite in 05, but it hurt when I carried more than 25 lbs... So I ended up with the Osprey Atmos 50. I love it, but probably need the 65 for my winter gear... oh well... Starting at Katahdin with the 50...

deeddawg
05-06-2008, 14:03
I see it differently... like the philosophy of HYOH... Shop your own way... to each his own.

That unfortunate then, since your analogy fails in that HYOH assumes that your hike is not adversely affecting others.

When someones uses the time and energy of sales staff without any compensation to them or the outfitter, they're just being being selfish and in some small part contributing to the demise of local outfitters.

Too bad you can't see that. Of course if you're comfortable in your own opinion then you shouldn't have any concern as to what I think, right?

Cuffs
05-25-2008, 22:09
Right.....

4eyedbuzzard
05-25-2008, 22:32
That unfortunate then, since your analogy fails in that HYOH assumes that your hike is not adversely affecting others.

When someones uses the time and energy of sales staff without any compensation to them or the outfitter, they're just being being selfish and in some small part contributing to the demise of local outfitters.

Too bad you can't see that. Of course if you're comfortable in your own opinion then you shouldn't have any concern as to what I think, right?

As to the time spent by store people, the last time I was in EMS my daughter was shopping for a new pack. They basically ignored us. I loaded the various packs with test weights, adjusted the suspensions, etc. Even as they saw us looking for the test weight bags they couldn't have been bothered, and when I asked questions on gear they didn't know the answers. I didn't see any loyalty owed and as a result they got none. I wound up shopping online and purchased the pack for almost 50% off their price. Now, I always comparison shop, but if the local outfitter is only 10% more or so I'll usually buy from them. If there's a bigger difference, I'll ask if they'll give me a competitive discount of some sort. Doesn't have to be a price match, just make it close with shipping factored in. Sometimes they can and do, other times they can't. I wind up buying a lot of smaller items from the outfitter, as they often can't compete with bigger online retailers on major purchases. Oh well, they seem to have lots of other customers who are willing to pay full ticket. Just not this one.

IceAge
05-29-2008, 15:56
...Well, the Golite Galaxy did too, but it did not have the hip belt pockets and I really like the pockets on the hip belt for snacks, lighter and TP....

That's my pack, and I agree on the hipbelt pockets, so I got a couple of lightweight aftermarket pockets that go on the Galaxy's hipbelt strap. Too bad you sold it at a yard sale!

Speaking of that, how come I never find good gear like that at yard sales?!?!:confused:

Wags
05-30-2008, 00:26
if i find any product i like i continue to give that product my business until it sucks. same goes for the stores that carry those products :D

Dakota_
06-08-2008, 20:30
Lately, I've found several items I at a local outfitters for much less than the same item was on-line.

Also, once the "Shipping and Handling" Fees are added to an on-line purchase, the price difference often disappears.

It's hard to beat a good sale at a brick and mortar store.

Roots
06-08-2008, 21:07
Lately, I've found several items I at a local outfitters for much less than the same item was on-line.

Also, once the "Shipping and Handling" Fees are added to an on-line purchase, the price difference often disappears.

It's hard to beat a good sale at a brick and mortar store.

Very true! I have been looking on line for the pack I want to go on sale somewhere. My local outfitter had a 20% off everything in the store sale yesterday so I was able to get my pack there. HOORAY to the local guys!:)

EMAN
06-10-2008, 13:06
Cuffs-
That extry weight in your pack was NOT your food. It was half my stuff....had to lighten my own load somehow......

Cuffs
06-10-2008, 13:43
Its that what that was? Shame on you!