PDA

View Full Version : CT Sages Ravine section

canoehead
05-03-2008, 06:36
I was just in there over this past week leading a group of 6th graders for 3 days and we had a great time. Snow flurries on the first day and rain the next with freezing temps, (good stuff). It's amazing what we take for granted and the students got to experience life from a tent, learned a bit about what it takes to be sucessful and see a piece of the trail that gets lots of public use because of it's location. good times :banana.
Oh yeah and they learned that stone steps and water bars really don't just grow like that! I wish all schools would bring in experiential learning like this, it doesn't get much better than real / hands on. This kind of program is what helps to create future Thrus and steweards for tomorrow.

sasquatch2014
05-03-2008, 07:05
My Kids School is taking the kids out for a Natures Classroom type of experience next week along the AT. The 5th grade will start at one section and overnight half way through come out the next day get picked up and then the 6th grade class will head in. I agree its great to get the kids out on the trail. who knows they may even get to hear Bigfoot coming into their camp near lights out time.

Cosmo
05-03-2008, 17:33
Check out:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.2724217/k.864C/Trail_to_Every_Classroom.htm

NPS and ATC got a sizable chunk of funding to continue to expand this program.

Cosmo