PDA

View Full Version : Under Armour

TronBlaster
02-05-2004, 02:49
Any thoughts on using Under Armour for a thru-hike? The way they hype this stuff, it sounds like you could use it for everything but rain gear.

So-No 4/1/04

tribes
02-05-2004, 07:33
I think this once again a largely personal issue although I did witness two of my hiker friends experience really bad chafing from wearing under armor bottoms as underwear. They were bought to prevent bad chafing but they had the exact opposite effect causing some of the worst chafing I have ever seen. I think they sent them home in Cheshire. This is just what I have witnessed and your results may differ.

Blue Jay
02-05-2004, 08:32
Any thoughts on using Under Armour for a thru-hike? The way they hype this stuff, it sounds like you could use it for everything but rain gear.

So-No 4/1/04

This is very quality material. Is it better than cheaper clothing, I don't think so, unless you count how soon it wears out and then it is slightly better. I also don't think it had anything to do with the chafing of Tribes friends. Chafing comes from heat, sweat and friction. Synthetics can help prevent them from coming together but they can't stop it. Only the wearer can.

Brushy Sage
02-05-2004, 09:51
What is it?

Kerosene
02-05-2004, 15:23
Under Armour was originally developed for professional football players. The stretchy, tight-fitting polyester garments are touted for muscle compression and fast wicking (aren't they all?), which is supposed to translate to improved performance. They maintain a cool, Flash-based site at http://www.underarmour.com. They have extended their product line in a variety of ways and are penetrating other sports and the casual market.

As a soccer player, I use their "bicycle" shorts and T-shirt under my gear. They do seem to make a difference wrt heat build-up. I even purchased several pairs of their well-made soccer socks!

I've considered backpacking with one of their light, tight T-shirts or muscle shirts. The men's medium muscle shirt is only 3 ounces, but you really have to have the build to wear it by itself and I'm fighting with middle age here. I prefer the fit and performance of the Duofold CoolMax Alta shirts.

snuffleupagus
02-05-2004, 15:41
I use to wear something similar to body armour when I played football. In cold weather it is a great base layer but as for the breathability I'm not so sure I would hike in it. I have thought about it for the lightweightedness as maybe a base layer for sleeping but for the price I could buy silk or capalene just the same. After a good workout in the armour you almost, in regard to hygene, need a shower as it doesn't truly wick as well as other materials and you get a nasty film of sweat and waxy grime in certain areas of the body (like the chest underarms and groin). It is comfortable to wear otherwise though.

laxpla13
02-12-2004, 18:16
I use under armour as a base shirt everytime is do anything outdoors like hiking, it dries quick and prevents chafing. I say its great and use it.

Jimbo0104
02-12-2004, 20:09
I really can't tell you how well underarmor would hold up on a thru hike but I have used both the heat gear and the cold gear and find both are amazing. I do a lot of cycling and have worn the same underarmor shirt for over 1000 miles. It always smells unique. Not exactly like sweat but rather its own scent. Both materials wick well and prevent sweat buildup. You never feel gooey. I would try it out hiking short hikes first. It bought my warm weather shirt for around 25 bucks and the cold weather one was about 30. You can't beat the price and the stuff works.

geckobunny
02-12-2004, 21:35
I plan on using the Cold Gear as a base layer for camp. I tested it at 15* this winter. It kept me warm enough that I only needed a 40* sleeping bag...and I sleep cold.

beatbox
03-08-2004, 04:56
I wear Under Armor to work out at the gym, and the loose gear weighs about 4.5 ounces for a medium T. The loose gear has serveed me well in my test hikes and I will be wearing it in the summer on my thru hike. It wicks moisture away just as well as my capilene or rei base materials and I already own it (25 a shirt). My only complaint is that the seam on teh shoulder rises and can cause mild discomfort by teh end of a long hike. On the whole I think it is a very good brand/material though.

Jaybird
03-08-2004, 09:53
Any thoughts on using Under Armour for a thru-hike?............So-No 4/1/04

i've used it before...good stuff...but, like SNUFFLEUPAGUS...i found it left a slight film in "certain areas" which felt a bit "grimy"...needing a thorough scrubbing in the shower....i'll stay with the Capilene/Coolmax variety.

see ya'll UP the trail! :D

Saluki Dave
05-31-2004, 12:13
I have a significant chafing problem on the inner/upper thigh area owing to some large thighs from my years as a weightlifter. I tried Underarmour Heatgear compression shorts on a hike over Memorial Day, and had absolutely NO problems with chafing, which is unheard of for me. I won't go hiking again without it.

On a side note; as I was making the short trudge back from the trailhead to the parking area at the Fontana Dam Visitor Center, I was suddenly struck with the overwhelming urge to "get these slimy, sweaty rain pants offa me!" Thanks to Underarmour I was able to walk up to the parking lot with at least some of my dignity intact. :D

attroll
05-31-2004, 12:35
Saluki Dave

I have the same problem. I do not have big thighs but I still have the same issues. I have not seen and of this Under Armor around my area yet. What store did you get yours in?

Saluki Dave
05-31-2004, 12:39
Hey troll,

I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods, a chain down here in the south, but I suspect you could find it at Sportsmart/Sports Authority or any major sporting goods outlet. It's usually in with the high performance sportswear. Great stuff.

VAMTNHIKER
05-31-2004, 14:53
My son has been wearing UnderArmor for baseball; I may have to check into it! He is planning on wearing it this July at Philmont. I was planning on just wearing my various Cool-Max and Duo-Fold loose t-shirts.

Here in Virginia Beach they are available at both Dick's and Sports Authority; wouldn't be surprised if it is at the Galyans that just opened here. :-?

Toolshed
06-01-2004, 13:26
IMMHO, I tried the underarmour bottoms that I got at Dicks last year. Only problem I had was in the heat of the summer, (and in trying to say this in the nicest kind of way) the bottoms are pretty snug really kinda hold your buttcheeks tightly together which traps sweat and causes severe butt rash.

I'll never wear them again for more than a couple of hours.

Tim Rich
06-01-2004, 13:48
It's also available at Galyan's and Olympia Sports. It has helped me to be an ultralight hiker by lightening my wallet when I bought it for my two older boys to wear for football. It's pricey, for sure.

Peep
06-01-2004, 14:12
It sounds like most (if not all) of the replies are from men regarding the Under Armour brand. So from a female's perspective I love the looks, stretch and feel of the material (almost feels like a massaging quality). I find it holds its shape much better than the Cool-Max/Duofold, it wicks well, dries quickly, is lightweight and keeps odors minimal. I've used the tops (short and long-sleeved) and will be trying the bottoms soon. It worked excellent for a section hike - can't see why it wouldn't work well for a thru-hike. Ya gotta try these thingys out, and then decide.