PDA

View Full Version : Elmer's - Hot Springs

Former Admin
10-08-2002, 21:48
Comments, experiences, opinions, good or bad related to Elmer's.

chris
10-09-2002, 08:45
I stayed 2 nights in Hot Springs at Elmers and loved it. Breakfast one day was excellent, the other was so - so. Very friendly and lots of good books to read. The only downside was that the place was a bit too nice. After being grimy and grungy for a while, sleeping in a Victorian house in a four post bed with my own porch was a bit of an overload. I can't imagine not going to Elmers when I pass through Hot Springs again.

The Weasel
10-09-2002, 09:23
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

(If you've been there, you know. If you haven't you will. Everything in time.)

Jumpstart
10-09-2002, 22:13
We had Easter sunday breakfast here, and the place, the host, and the food were all top notch. One bit of advice is make your daily "reservation" EARLY, like EARLY EARLY, when we were there Hot Springs was FULL of thru-hikers and they were all fighting for the 5 open spots at Elmers.

chris
10-10-2002, 08:26
Elmers was less busy when I came through in mid May (~May 16)> Around 20 thru or section hikers were in town, but many were staying elsewhere, usually because of dogs. I was the first person
to Elmers, one of the last into Hot Springs, and that was around 1 pm. Perhaps a near-guarenteed spot at Elmers is a reason for starting a thru hiker later than usual?

smokymtnsteve
12-31-2002, 16:37
Elmer's is great..try to get the basement room..very private

Trail Dog
06-06-2003, 07:51
Elmer was rude, obnoxious and kicked out two hikers last min (45 min ontice after breakfast) so some non hikers could pay more for the room. Elmer says he's for the hikers but is only in it for himself. Many reports of his rude behavior in shelter logs north of Hot Springs back me up.

smokymtnsteve
06-07-2003, 20:34

steve hiker
08-18-2003, 00:36
In David Brill's book "As Far as the Eye Can See," written about his 1979 thru-hike, he tells of these guys Randell and Elmer who operated an organic farm near Hot Springs, NC. I assume this is the same Elmer.

Anyone know if Randell is still around and if he still owns an organic farm in the area? If so, does he take in thru-hikers or let them sleep in the barn? Maybe earn board by working in the fields for a day?

Moon Monster
08-19-2003, 21:08
I beleive Randall has passed on, but I'm not certain. The farm (more of a garden) is still there and Elmer will take those who do the work-for-stay out there to help out. A couple guys doing so this year were even treated to an evening in the hot springs by Elmer. His meals are quite good and those down blankets sleep wonderfully on a cold evening.

Remember, Elmer has been hosting hikers for decades at a significantly reduced charge in an Inn where regular guests subsidize the hikers. Inevitably over enough time, some hikers will get rubbed the wrong way as they do in almost every lodging place on the entire Trail. By and large, though, on any given day you can expect a very comfortable stay.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2003, 16:42
Randall is alive and well living about 5 miles out of Hot Springs on a smaller farm than the one Brill stayed at.

Jaybird
04-29-2004, 11:44
Comments, experiences, opinions, good or bad related to Elmer's.

Elmer's aka: "Sunnybank Inn"

will let you know May 9th ("Jigsaw" & I, along with the rest of the "Model-T crew" will be staying there May 8th @ end of our section-hike) :D

Footslogger
04-29-2004, 11:59
Stayed there last year. First place I came to when I dropped down into Hot Springs. They had a room available and I needed one. No great shakes but met my needs ...shower and a comfortable bed. Kinda felt like I was staying in an old mansion. I had no interaction with the owner. Didn't eat the breakfast. Walked across the street to the Diner.

'Slogger

orangebug
04-29-2004, 12:28
I stayed there in March '01 after a pretty big snowstorm in the Smokies. There were few other hikers, and one weekender who had driven up.

I had a hugely good time there with very good breakfast, and I think dinner also. It was clear that he runs a bit of an Eastern religious school, but no more intrusive than staying at the Blueberry Patch and less than the Friary. I visited with Elmer and staff, enjoyed touring the grounds, and enjoyed reading the books about the place's history in music and arts.

Be careful what you say there. I commented that I wished I could do a day trip SOBO into Hot Springs. Before I knew it, they had arranged a shuttle.

I'd recommend it highly.

Bill...

Flash Hand
07-24-2004, 05:51
Last April, I decided to take a stay at Elmer Hall's Sunnybank Inn. I never regretted staying there. He gave me a great hospitality with respect. I told him I am deaf. He understood, and gave me a notebook for me to carry around and write with hearing people in Hot Springs. I told him I have trouble finding ATM in Hot SPrings to pay him for the night. ANd asked if I can pay him later.. he never have any problem with that... and welcomed me to his Inn. AND food he cooks, GREAT! taste real good. My stomach ballooned and finally I have to fingering in my mouth to throw up some food out... I didnt stop eating and eating because those food taste soooo GOOD!!!!

I had two great night sleep at Sunnybank Inn and will definiately sleep there again next year on my 2nd attempt to thru hike.

Flash Hand :jump

Tractor
08-08-2004, 21:47
I had the pleasure of staying at the Balladry a couple of months ago. Also had the pleasure of listening to some real pickers in the music room that evening. Dinner was most excelent but I, too, slipped over to the diner for a big greasy breakfast before my first 20 mile day..:)

smokymtnsteve
08-08-2004, 23:30
B'fast is great at Elmer's also, I Love staying at the sunnybank, It a grand ole palce ... I was lucky enough to get a bed there during Trail Fest this year.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=54242

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=50621

out-n-about
08-26-2005, 19:06
just left elmers today . my stay was great although i ate at diner across street.

bfitz
08-26-2005, 21:02
Rude guy, nice place.

Slimer
08-26-2005, 23:36
I had a fine time at Elmer's place. Fine hospitality and company. I don't recall ever seeing anything negative in the shelter registers about Elmer.

Lilred
08-26-2005, 23:51
I stayed at Elmer's this last summer and it will be one of those great memories that will keep me smiling long into my winter years. I spent two nights there and Elmer was anything but rude. The meals were excellent and if I could eat like that every night I'd have no trouble becoming a vegan. Elmer's will be a definate stop when I do my thru. I look forward to staying there again.

Walessp
08-27-2005, 08:14
I stayed with Elmer recently (Aug 24 and 25, 2005). He was a perfect gentleman and shuttled me twice in the local area. I didn't eat there since the staff was on vacation, but the diner across the street in excellent.

Sky Rider
(walessp)

Bassline
08-27-2005, 16:35
I stayed at Elmers this year. I spent 2 nights their, and I really enjoyed it. Elmer and I didnt click very well, but that didnt stop me from having a good experience with the place. I think for me, the highlight was sitting in his garden behind the house drinking beer with Cuppa Joe, Serenity, Touk, and Num Tum. Anywhere can be fun when you bring in a crazy bunch of hikers like us.

Spiritual Pillgrim
03-13-2006, 14:44
Every hostel has its own memories. Elmers will be that the Inn is on the National Historic Register of Places (or whatever). The Victorian style architecture, all the antique furniture, the books, the banjo and guitars, everything just gave it a real special atmosphere. Heard a hiker leaving this morning telling Elmer that this was his best hostel experience yet. What gets me the most is all this for only $15? Even without laundry service, he could charge much, much more.

MOWGLI
03-13-2006, 14:57
I'll be there the weekend of Trail Fest - April 21-23. Can't wait! I hope to see some of you Whiteblazers in town that weekend.

napster
03-13-2006, 15:01
I stayed at Elmers last year.There was some kind of payed group gatherin plan for the weekend where folks were taken on a short AT hike and showed edible wild plants and taught some yoga. He let me camp out in the greenhouse while all this took place.Nice folks ,nice place and good food.

Trail Dog
03-15-2006, 04:19
A little warning about Elmer.

He's a really nice guy untill he finds out you dont hate Bush, are a member of the United States Army and love red meat far more than Tofu and his organic garden.

The commie kicked me and another hiker out after he heard us making fun of his anti Bush posters and claimed he needed the room for full paying non hikers.

Even if he didnt do that for our differences of opinions he still booted out two hikers so he could cater to a non hiker higher paying group who just showed up.

bulldog49
03-15-2006, 11:10

He's a really nice guy untill he finds out you dont hate Bush, are a member of the United States Army and love red meat far more than Tofu and his organic garden.

The commie kicked me and another hiker out after he heard us making fun of his anti Bush posters and claimed he needed the room for full paying non hikers.

Even if he didnt do that for our differences of opinions he still booted out two hikers so he could cater to a non hiker higher paying group who just showed up.

Perfect example of what I've known all along, lefties are the most intolerant people of all.

MOWGLI
03-15-2006, 11:29
Perfect example of what I've known all along, lefties are the most intolerant people of all.

Enter my house and make fun of my decor or my lifestyle choices, and you'll find yourself on the curb faster than you can say ("fill in the blank"). :welcome

Mountain Maiden
03-15-2006, 12:48

Trail dog--My experiences with Elmer have been totally different. In the last 6 years, I have stayed at Sunnybank Inn 12-13 times. Elmer and I do not agree on politics, lifestyle choices or religion and have discussed our differences, openly. However, he has always been extremely hospitable, kind and accommodating.

Everytime I visit, he welcomes me with open arms. He treats me like a guest (after all, I am just that--a GUEST) in his home (after all, it is HIS HOME.)

If I did not love MEAT the way I do, I could become a vegetarian if Elmer would cook for me. DELISH! The salad dressing is my favorite. I was just thinking about his wonderful salad presentation yesterday--he puts the, now blooming, edible buds from the REDBUD trees in his salads--what a beautiful and tasty treat!

If you don't click with Elmer--don't stay there--there are plenty of other choices. For ambience, good food and nice people--I'd stay there at every opportunity!

OMGOSH--I have Springer Fever soooo bad!! Little Bear--if you go to TF--pls stop by and say Hello to Elmer for me! Thanks.

Sunrise

Cookerhiker
03-15-2006, 13:05
I stayed at Elmer's on a SOBO section hike Fall of '04. Being off-season and the fact that I didn't look too haggard yet (I had only started 2 days earlier at Allen Gap and was hiking to Rainbow Spring CG at Rt. 64), he grilled me gently to satisfy himself that I was a long-distant hiker. Unfortunately he wasn't serving his dinner. I found him to be friendly. Best of all, I met Miss Janet there that evening when she dropped in to visit after shuttling a hiker.

The next morning was raining steadily and I wanted an early start to hike 15+ miles uphill to Roaring Fork Shelter but I decided to stay for breakfast. Good choice - it was excellent.

I'm curious about one thing which I haven't seen discussed yet on WB (although I've been on the road for 2 weeks): the latest issue of Appalachian Journeys features a spot on Hot Springs and refers to several businesses and lodgings but no mention of Elmers. Anyone know why? Or did I miss it?

Lastly, I crafted a vegan homemade pumpkin soup recipe and sent to Elmer along with a thank you note. Never heard from him. Maybe he trashed it, maybe he's using it - I dunno. It features steaming the pumpkins in apple juice, keeping the juice as stock, pureeing the pumpkins, carrots, other vegetables, and spices and adding soy milk. Anyone want it?

Lilred
03-15-2006, 18:40
[QUOTE=Cookerhiker]I
The next morning was raining steadily and I wanted an early start to hike 15+ miles uphill to Roaring Fork Shelter but I decided to stay for breakfast. Good choice - it was excellent.

I'm curious about one thing which I haven't seen discussed yet on WB (although I've been on the road for 2 weeks): the latest issue of Appalachian Journeys features a spot on Hot Springs and refers to several businesses and lodgings but no mention of Elmers. Anyone know why? Or did I miss it?[QUOTE]

Yes, I noticed that too. I just assumed that Elmer didn't want to be in it. Some hostel owners don't want the publicity, he's not a hotel. I know he's had trouble in the past with people driving up and wanting to spend the night and that's not what he does, he's there for hikers and people on retreats, and that's it from what I understand of his place. My assumption isn't based on any kind of fact, but it's just one possibility.

Elmer and his home are, in a word, charming. Can't wait to stay there again.
Thanks for all you've done and continue to do Elmer.

eArThworm
06-10-2006, 13:08
I just saw a post on another forum that implied that Elmer had retired to his farm and sold the Balladry. Anyone know more about this?

The Alethiometrists
07-12-2006, 11:16
I just saw a post on another forum that implied that Elmer had retired to his farm and sold the Balladry. Anyone know more about this?

We're staying there later this month and getting a shuttle from Elmer - Your post moved me to call The Inn and check. The official word: Elmer is still running in The Inn. He has not retired.

I've stayed at The Inn on a number of occasions, going back to the late '80s - as always, I'm looking forward to it.

4Him
10-08-2009, 20:42
Elmer rude? Maybe if you were rude first. He was most gracious and it was obvious he lived for AT thru hikers. I stayed @ Elmer's back in '89 and still remember the great food & fellowship (and the sweet taste of civilization after 200 miles) like it was yesterday. Driving 3 hours each way this weekend to pick up where I bailed 20 years ago, hoping it won't be as rainy now as it was then. :)

Lilred
10-08-2009, 21:58
Elmer rude? Maybe if you were rude first. He was most gracious and it was obvious he lived for AT thru hikers. I stayed @ Elmer's back in '89 and still remember the great food & fellowship (and the sweet taste of civilization after 200 miles) like it was yesterday. Driving 3 hours each way this weekend to pick up where I bailed 20 years ago, hoping it won't be as rainy now as it was then. :)

Have fun, and don't worry, it will be...

Stayed at Elmer's in '05 and the great food and fellowship were still alive and well. One of my fondest memories of the AT.

Dogwood
10-09-2009, 01:23
Hot Springs, NC is a wonderful trail town, but it just wouldn't have been the same if I had not thoroughly enjoyed two days in the charming victorian SunnyBank Inn, with agreeable disagreeing Elmer, all that delicious freshly and painstakingly prepared belly filling vegetarian food, tall ceilings, antique wall paper, four poster bed, abundant book collections, history, upstairs balcony, gardens, kitchen, and music room, at the ridiculously reasonable price of $15, in 2006.

'Remember, Elmer has been hosting hikers for decades at a significantly reduced charge in an Inn where regular guests subsidize the hikers.'

I don't think Elmer does a great deal of work-for-stays, but I remember he did this for two hikers. He didn't have to!

It was the best vegetarian food I had on my entire AT thru-hike that year. The vegetarian desserts, three to choose from, were some of the best I've ever had. The food prices were even very affordable. Since you mentioned it Mountain Maiden, I too now recall those delish salad dressings, several to choose from, and the fresh flowers from the garden that made it into the salad.

Yes, I too had some difference of opinions with Elmer, but we were both respectful of each other. Damn, that's often how we learn and grow - when we meet up with new or differing information and can at least consider it!

'Inevitably over enough time, some hikers will get rubbed the wrong way as they do in almost every lodging place on the entire Trail.'

I even recall Elmer coming to the upstairs bedroom above his downstairs bedroom and chiding three other hikers and myself because we were playing one of the guitars found in the music room too loudly after 11 p.m. He regretably, but understandably, took the guitar from us and reminded us it was after "quiet hours."

'By and large, though, on any given day you can expect a very comfortable stay.'

I agree and I would absolutely enjoy staying there again!

Bearpaw
10-09-2009, 09:20
I stayed there during a section hike in July 2005. Elmer was great, though his assistant was notably rude to me during the dinner time conversation. At the dinner, there was an Elmer enforced round of questions like "If you could get rid of one thing in the world, what would it be?" To me, this was a contrived mechanism to stir up debate which was bound to lean toward politics. At one point, the question was how to make a difference in the world. I mentioned that I was happy to have had the chance to serve in Bosnia where NATO is making a real difference. His assistant, who might have been 19 and clearly had not ever been to Bosnia, replied "Well I completely disagree" and then cut me off with "but that's neither here nor there." If the point was discussion, his point was simply to kill any talk he disagreed with. Elmer said nothing either way.

The food was good, the Inn was comfortable. But I'll stay at the campground or the Alpine Court next time rather than be grilled over dinner.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-20-2009, 07:26
Elmer was rude, obnoxious and kicked out two hikers last min (45 min ontice after breakfast) so some non hikers could pay more for the room. Elmer says he's for the hikers but is only in it for himself. Many reports of his rude behavior in shelter logs north of Hot Springs back me up.
Elmer is a former Presbyterian minister - and although he does come across as a bit of a grump sometimes (who doesn't?) I think his heart is definetely in it for the thru-hikers. He still adventures on through them vicariously - and is a father like figure to many. He never expected to run the Sunnybank Inn as long as he has. It seems that since the place is an AT institution (first thru-hiker Earl Schaeffer stayed here)- when the place was going to close - Elmer stepped in to continue running it. He was a hiker that thought it was a crime to not have the Inn around for hikers - so he literally ended up committing his life top keeping it up. So keep an open mind re the cool side of the man! Don't get me wrong though - I know the grumpy side too - and have been treated as such (we aren't buddies and he probably wouldn't remember me)! One day I'll tell you the funny story of how "Shamrock" my hiking buddy was treated when he filled up Elmer's (otherwise vegetarian) fridge with a bunch of burgers that he over-ordered form the Smoky Mt. Diner for across the street in Hot Springs!

Anumber1
12-20-2009, 22:49
When I was in hot springs Elmer's was fully booked for an edible plants and wildflower group, but he set me up with a bed anyway. Nice guy.

In the Thru-Hiker handbook it mentions there is a music room... nothing but a couple of old acoustic guitars and a piano, so dont get your hopes up.

Amazing collection of books though.

bfitz
12-23-2009, 19:50
I had a fine time at Elmer's place. Fine hospitality and company. I don't recall ever seeing anything negative in the shelter registers about Elmer.Try walking in during dinner time. The camp ground is cheaper and more fun and the people there are nicer.

Pete Moss
06-29-2010, 09:04
Anyone have the contact info(Phone Number, Etc.) for Elmer's??

Jeff
06-29-2010, 09:18
Call 828-622-7206

Pete Moss
06-29-2010, 11:10
Thanks Jeff...Unfortuately elmer was booked for the weekend. Good for Elmer, not so good for me:datz

RockDoc
06-29-2010, 12:20
He quoted me a price for the night and then in the morning asked if I was a thru hiker. I said no, but I have 1,600 miles invested in section hikes.

He added $20 to my bill on the spot and I left feeling a bit screwed.:(

If you are anything other than a thru hiker, Elmer doesn't have much use for you. Well, sorry but not everybody has 6 months to spend hiking. Three weeks at a time is a major sacrifice for me since I own a small business. I still make the sacrifice and hike regularly on the AT even though I live 3000 miles away.

I don't recall ever seeing anything negative in the shelter registers about Elmer.

Luddite
06-29-2010, 12:33
Stayed there once a few years ago in summer. Nice place. I think he makes all vegetarian/vegan food which was nice because I'm a vegetarian. He has a ton of books and a banjo and guitar. My friend and I got our own porch. I think they have a dinner bell there, which I thought was kind of weird but whatever.

I'll definitely stay there again on my thru-hike next year.

Luddite
06-29-2010, 12:37
Enter my house and make fun of my decor or my lifestyle choices, and you'll find yourself on the curb faster than you can say ("fill in the blank"). :welcome

Yeah I would have probably kicked them out too.

D-wreck
06-30-2010, 00:07
I was lucky enough to spend Thanksgiving at Elmers on my AT adventure. Great food, great people, and a great rest from the trail. One of the better memories from my hike.

One regret however is not asking for prices up front, but this is entirely my own fault. The meals ended up costing more than I thought, and although not at all unreasonable, it was unexpected.

Lesson learned - at any hostel discuss all pricing up front (don't forget work-for-stay as well).

Shooting Star
06-30-2010, 00:18
I stayed at Elmer's Sunnybank Inn last fall at the start of
a trip. I liked it and hope to be back some time.

Erin
07-01-2010, 00:28
Our section hiker group stayed there in 2007 and would so and will again. We were not thrus and obviously so and Elmer and Sunny were kind and we did get prices up front and reservations way up front and they were reasonable. Really fair. I chose the place because we had two vegetarians on our trip and I thought it would be cool for them and the place is incredibly interesting. I will take that home over an impersonal hotel any day. I am a meat eater and the vegetarian fare was excellent. It appeard they also employed work for hire and had some hiker sleeping in the yard also. Yes, that is the best salad dressing I have ever had in my life. We were lucky enough to be there with some hikers who were talented amateur musicians also. A great stay at both ends of our hike and a wonderful memory of our trip. I did not discuss politics and really the only pictures I perused were the many sent by hikers who had summited Katadin with well wishes to Elmer,Sunny and the Sunnbank staff.

rambunny
07-01-2010, 11:20
Guys be kind, Elmer has lived his life for hikers. Hostel owners are people too-especially if you are being housed in their home.You don't know what happened yesterday that effects attitude today. Walking in at dinner time with no notice, making fun of beliefs,home,ect. Lets go to your house and see how long it would fly.