PDA

View Full Version : Where to go on Northern Half of AT

Puppy
05-03-2008, 16:42
I am hiking near Catawba....heading to do Shenadoah Park next....then I want to hike several areas of the northern half of the AT.

Please let me know some of the best places to go. I want to have fun hiking and work my way up the trail hitting the est areas.

I will have my truck and dog - so any info on slackpacking and dog friendly is good too.

Thanks a million

DavidNH
05-03-2008, 17:18
Almost anywhere in New Hampshire and Maine is good. Depends largely on how much time you have.

David

Puppy
05-03-2008, 18:10
I have about 2 or 3 months....but want to spend it in the best places..

Pedaling Fool
05-03-2008, 19:34
Almost anywhere in New Hampshire and Maine is good. Depends largely on how much time you have.

David
I agree, but it also depends on the time your hiking. IMO, the best time to hike up there is August/September timeframe.

DavidNH
05-03-2008, 21:39

My first suggestion then is travel to Hanover, NH and hike to Mt Katahdin! You will hit the best most scenic sections of the whole AT.

Secondly..if you prefer shorter trips..

hike from Glencliff to Gorham. Then do eithe Mahoosic range or head up to Bigelows or even 100 mile wilderness.

checkout AMC white Mtn Guide for numerous short trips in the whites. AMC Maine Mountain guide for good hiking in Maine. Green Mountain Clubs Long Trail Guide for Vermont trips.

VT is nice too.. but not as spectacular.

David

DavidNH
05-03-2008, 21:40
don't go until July at earliest unless you want to deal with lots of mud and bugs.

warraghiyagey
05-03-2008, 21:43
Maine. New Hampshire. With 2 to 3 months you'll have plenty of time. After you've gone, you'll likely want to go back.:sun

Puppy
05-04-2008, 07:24
Are the bugs bad in New Hampshire/Vermont in June - or just in Maine ?

dessertrat
05-04-2008, 14:24
A lot of it depends on how a given year's weather has gone, but I would not count on black fly season being over in any part of New England in June.

peakbagger
05-05-2008, 13:05
Yes the bugs can be "bad" in NH/VT in June. The Mahhosucs for the last few years have had very bad mosquito problems until mid July. Bring a head net and Ultrathon (3M Deet blend) and hope that its a mild year (highly unlikely with the late snowpack)

jersey joe
05-05-2008, 14:26
I am certainly biased here, but you will enjoy the 20-30 miles in NJ just north out of the Deleware Water Gap. The whites are obvious. Kathadin is a must.

Askus3
05-06-2008, 00:48
Forget about Katahdin if you have a dog as dogs are not allowed! But from Glencliff, NH to just south of the Baxter Park boundary (Abol Bridge) is one heluva hike that I highly recommend. Truly spectacular.