PDA

View Full Version : How much fuel cannisters do I carry here in Maine?

glacier48
05-03-2008, 16:52
:sun
Hello everyone,
I leave for the AT here in Maine in four weeks. I am concerned that I will not have enough fuel for cooking, cleaning up on my trip. I am a slow hiker and here in Maine the first few hundred miles supply stops are sparse. I also worry about there being enough food for my dog. She will carry packs with her food but I wonder about her ability to carry 10 days worth of food. She is 30 pounds.

Any ideas if I should carry 1 or 2 fuel canisters? Or how to get around the dog food issues?

I am so thrilled for this trip. I have 3 months this summer that I can dedicate to this trip. Although it is not a thru trip, it is the biggest adventure of my life. Any advice would be appreciated.
Glacier (As in, moves like)

TJ aka Teej
05-03-2008, 17:24
Welcome, Glacier. Get a sharpie and a full canister. Cook, and make a mark on the can for each use. When your can is empty, you'll know what *your* fuel comsumption is.
You're southbound? Where are you planning to kennel your dog while you're inside Baxter? In that first few hundred miles, starting with Linda's Store at the start of the 100 mile, you have Whitehouse Landing, WB member Boarstone who does food drops, a campground store at JoMary lake to hitch out to, the Brownville Juction store to hitch out to, and a new hostel near the south end of the "wilderness". Then you have Monson, and then Caratunk - good resupply towns. And you can always eat the dog.

glacier48
05-03-2008, 18:53
I never thought of marking the fuel canister. Thank you. I am starting my hike at Abol Bridge in order to be able to hike with my dog. My husband is hiking with me until Monson and then I am on my own. Glad to hear of some resupply points.

I have joked about eating the dog if times get rough but I could only do one leg at a time in order to keep the meat fresh. That reallly only gives me 2 days. Just Kidding. I love her very much and can't wait to share this experience with her.

I know there is alot of controversy about hiking with a dog. I plan to be a responsible dog owner and I will try to do everything right. No impact, use a leash, no barking at people, camp in a tent so I will not interfere with others at lean-to's.

Keep me in your thoughts and pray that the blackflies will not fly away with me.

Glacier

mudhead
05-03-2008, 19:08
Talk to your vet about food. Calorie wise. I don't see your dog carrying it's food. Don't forget needle-nose pliers or hemostats for porker quills.

boarstone
05-04-2008, 14:30
Hi Glacier: If I can help on the fuel/dog food resupply, let me know, at [email protected] or call 207-965-8464. I resupply for dog owners/hikers/others thru this section. Much easier on the dog. This is how it works for resupply to me: package and send resupply via UPS/USPS, I repack into clean 5 gal bucket(s). I'd like to receive supply early enough so I can send e-mail back to you so you know your supply got here. I hold until needed and try not to drop any earlier than 2 days before you arrive at resupply point. I then e-mail directions to you on how to find it, which is easy. I resupply at Cooper Brook trail/road crossing. Maine Map#4. :welcome

boarstone
05-04-2008, 14:35
Hi Glacier: If I can help on the fuel/dog food resupply, let me know, at [email protected] or call 207-965-8464. I resupply for dog owners/hikers/others thru this section. Much easier on the dog. This is how it works for resupply to me: package and send resupply via UPS/USPS, I repack into clean 5 gal bucket(s). I'd like to receive supply early enough so I can send e-mail back to you so you know your supply got here. I hold until needed and try not to drop any earlier than 2 days before you arrive at resupply point. I then e-mail directions to you on how to find it, which is easy. I resupply at Cooper Brook trail/road crossing. Maine Map#4. :welcome
I e-mail directions to you as soon as I receive your resupply, NOT 2 days before I drop it!..Sorry, my cursor did it's own implant!:o

glacier48
05-04-2008, 17:54
Your offer sounds great. I will talk to my husband and see if this will work for us. What an awesome service. How much is the delivery?

Glacier

glacier48
05-07-2008, 09:03
Does anyone ever carry 2 fuel cannisters of fuel. 22 oz size?

Glacier:sun

sneezer
05-07-2008, 09:50
it would be difficult to extend the meat from your dog without dehydrating or smoking first. Par boiling him will remove much of the bitter fat and sinew. Do not forget to remove all the fur (maybe used as mittens or cap). By dividing up the meat into separate ziplock bags (labeled Monday/Tues. etc) you should have enough to cover the entire trip. bon apatite!

glacier48
05-07-2008, 10:03
I was hoping to use the dog for company and protection for awhile before I need to eat her so that leaves the chance for home dehydrating out. She will have to be consumed on an as needed basis. I am actually hoping that I won't be starving much so I can preserve her life. Actually who would carry her packs when she is gone?

I made her homemade dog biscuits for the trail. They contain garlic, wheat flour, bacon and other yummy ingredients. I am sure she will share them with me if needed.

envirodiver
05-07-2008, 10:38
Does anyone ever carry 2 fuel cannisters of fuel. 22 oz size?

Do you cook or just boil water? This makes a big difference in the life of the canister. If you use pre-packaged meals (like Mountain House or others) or if you freezer bag cook, with your own pre-packeged meals it extends the life of your canister by a bunch. I used a canister for a week boiling water in the AM for grits and coffee and each night for dinner and tea(about 3-4 cups)
there was still about 1/4-1/3 of a canister left using a pocket rocket on about 1/2 full open.

If you are cooking for 2 people it will vary considerably. You can also weigh the canister on your warm-up trips and dtermine usage. A full MSR canister has a total weight of 12 0z.. An empty canister weighs 4 oz., so there is 8 oz of fuel. Just keep upi with how much you use it then weigh and do the math and you'll get a good idea.

You could also carry a 4 oz. canister for back-up if you feel the need.

johnny quest
05-07-2008, 11:10
ok, humor an idiot. are you saying the cannister will show a fine enough line of condensation that you can mark it with a sharpie to show how much was used each time?

mudhead
05-07-2008, 11:13
I took it to mean number of boils.

The condensation line is weather dependent I think.

johnny quest
05-07-2008, 11:16
ok. i didnt think that would work. ive tried averaging how many "boils" i could get out of a cannister and have found the temp diff and meal prep diffs made that almost unusable for me.

mudhead
05-07-2008, 11:19
It will give you an idea of how long they will last you. Shake them. That works too.

glacier48
05-07-2008, 11:22
I will be using fuel to heat up water for tea, oatmeal in the mornings and to cook supper for 2 people at night. I know usage varies but I am just looking for an estimate of what I might use up in 14-20 days.

Any ideas?

Glacier

envirodiver
05-07-2008, 11:23
The condensation line is weather dependent I think.

I think so too, and also dependent on the amount of fuel actually left in the canister. The line is caused by the temperature drop created as the gas pressure decreases and the gas expands. So the line may not be as defined when the canister is getting closer to empty, since the pressure drop is much less.

I think I'll check this out by running a canister, marking the line and weighing to see the correlation.

envirodiver
05-07-2008, 11:27
I will be using fuel to heat up water for tea, oatmeal in the mornings and to cook supper for 2 people at night. I know usage varies but I am just looking for an estimate of what I might use up in 14-20 days.

Any ideas?

Glacier

If you have a scale...weigh the canister at home and prepare the same type of meal that you will on the trail (outside in the yard). weigh it again. Use that as a rule of thumb, stick a fudge factor in to acount for variables.

Get a wind screen of some sort and this will go a long way in improving efficiency. What kind of stove do you have? Look up the stove specs and it will give you and idea of number of min. per canister. Read carefully cause their number may be running it wide open, which you don't really want to do, because the efficiency is not as good on full blast.

mudhead
05-07-2008, 11:34
That would be the technical way.

The easy way would be to lug two MSR cartridges, and pick one up in Monson.

You are going to stash a box there?

envirodiver
05-07-2008, 11:36
That would be the technical way.

The easy way would be to lug two MSR cartridges, and pick one up in Monson.

You are going to stash a box there?

Well there's that, yet not nearly as much fun for us gear nerds.

mudhead
05-07-2008, 11:40
You science types make me all warm.

I would be glad if I could keep track of the number of boils.

envirodiver
05-07-2008, 11:42
You science types make me all warm.

I would be glad if I could keep track of the number of boils.

OK you asked for it...I don't think it's the number of boils as much as the number of minutes.

mudhead
05-07-2008, 11:48
Agreed.

Tell the boss you need to check, and toast a cartridge for me. BTU output is yours to determine.

Too many variables for me to function with. My left eye starts to spin.

envirodiver
05-07-2008, 11:50
Agreed.

Tell the boss you need to check, and toast a cartridge for me. BTU output is yours to determine.

Too many variables for me to function with. My left eye starts to spin.

Okey Dokey:D

glacier48
05-07-2008, 12:08
Actually I can get more fuel in Monson. We plan to leave our car in Monson with a resupply box for me. (my husband is heading home.) Part of the problem you see is that I am a very slow hiker 5-7 miles a day. Facing the 100 mile wilderness leaves a fuel problem for me. I know there is the White House Landing but last time I was there the owner was very rude and only money oriented. I don't want this attitude to taint my trip.

I was thinking that perhaps my husband could carry one canister of fuel and me the other. I have a whisperlite with a heat reflective base and a wind screen. I need to learn how to use this before leaving in 3 weeks. Last time I attempted one I burned off my eyebrows and bangs. Not a great look for a woman.

An overloaded backpack in a really bad burden for me because I am 80 pounds overweight and needless to say very out of shape. I am hoping that this trip will help my weight and health situation. That is why I am concerned with carrying more weight that absolutely necessary.

I am limited in my hiking experiences although I have hiked alone before. I have a pacemaker and a lung disease but have been Dr. cleared. I appreciate all the help you all have been with advice. This trip means the world to me because my life expectancy is not good and this trip could turned it around for me. I have a 60% chance of passing away in 4 years because of a worn out heart. More exercise and less stress would do me a world of good. I would rather have something happen to me on the trail than in the recliner in front of the TV. Does anyone appreciate what I mean?

Glacier

envirodiver
05-07-2008, 12:15
Actually I can get more fuel in Monson. We plan to leave our car in Monson with a resupply box for me. (my husband is heading home.) Part of the problem you see is that I am a very slow hiker 5-7 miles a day. Facing the 100 mile wilderness leaves a fuel problem for me. I know there is the White House Landing but last time I was there the owner was very rude and only money oriented. I don't want this attitude to taint my trip.

I was thinking that perhaps my husband could carry one canister of fuel and me the other. I have a whisperlite with a heat reflective base and a wind screen. I need to learn how to use this before leaving in 3 weeks. Last time I attempted one I burned off my eyebrows and bangs. Not a great look for a woman.

An overloaded backpack in a really bad burden for me because I am 80 pounds overweight and needless to say very out of shape. I am hoping that this trip will help my weight and health situation. That is why I am concerned with carrying more weight that absolutely necessary.

I am limited in my hiking experiences although I have hiked alone before. I have a pacemaker and a lung disease but have been Dr. cleared. I appreciate all the help you all have been with advice. This trip means the world to me because my life expectancy is not good and this trip could turned it around for me. I have a 60% chance of passing away in 4 years because of a worn out heart. More exercise and less stress would do me a world of good. I would rather have something happen to me on the trail than in the recliner in front of the TV. Does anyone appreciate what I mean?

Glacier

I do appreciate what you mean. When I have issues that are boggin me down or feeling like I am in a rut that is never ending, or need to really think things out. The woods is where I know that I need to go to.

We have been talking about different things here I think. Unless there have been some changes that I'm not aware of, the wisperlite stove is white gas and not a canister (propane gas mix) stove. So the things we have been telling you are all wrong. You will be carrying a bottle with liquid fuel in it. I recommend that you spend some time with that stove at home and get a feel for using it and the fuel needed.

Enjoy your hike.:sun

glacier48
05-07-2008, 12:24
Yes you are right. I was not sure what the term was for the container holding the fuel. Sorry for the mix up. I guess that I will just have to take 2 containers full of fuel along. It is better than going hungry. I do need to get more experience with the stove before I burn all the hair off my head.

Thanks Envirodiver for you time and energy.

Glacier

gearfreak
05-07-2008, 12:35
A typical 8oz. canister will give you about 80 minutes of burn (figure 10 min./oz. and you can plan for any size canister). This has been my experience, anyhow (type of stove and weather conditions could affect this). I've put stickers on my canisters counting off 5 minute increments (80 75 70 ... etc.) that I can cross off as I go. I know it takes me about three minutes to boil water in the morning for coffee and oatmeal then 3-12 minutes to cook a Knorr's Lipton Side or just boil water for a Mountain House at dinner. I use about 6-15 minutes each day and cross off approximately what I've used as I go. A quick glance will give me a good idea of what remains. This also helps me to keep track of what canister I used last and I can bring an extra if necessary. :cool:

glacier48
05-07-2008, 12:40
Your ideas and marking practices have made my day. I like your methods. Thanks for the advice. It will help me decide the number of meals to cook and those to eat cold.

Much appreciation.