PDA

View Full Version : Snow at the Stake, Mount Mansfield, VT

NorthCountryWoods
05-03-2008, 19:13
For those of you thinking of starting early....you might wanna check this first-

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=depths.php

There was a dumping of snow up there just the other day. All the ridges above 2000 feet got a taste of it and there's still 51 inches at the stake today.

Scaper
05-03-2008, 21:10
In the last 3 weeks Mt. K has lost a great deal of snow. That snow the other day won't make a big difference. Most of the snow will be gone by the first week in June unless we get any more large snow storms . The trail will still be very wet and muddy in places and the streams will still be very high but I don't snow will still be a big issue by early June.

NorthCountryWoods
05-05-2008, 10:29
In the last 3 weeks Mt. K has lost a great deal of snow. That snow the other day won't make a big difference. Most of the snow will be gone by the first week in June unless we get any more large snow storms . The trail will still be very wet and muddy in places and the streams will still be very high but I don't snow will still be a big issue by early June.

:confused: Mt. K = Killington or Katahdin? Are we talking about the same trail?

My post was referring to those wanting to start before the official opening Memorial weekend. It was actually 18" of heavy wet snow last week and I've been watching more new snow hit Big Jay and Mansfield for the last week. Add that on top of a near record snowfall year and this is going to be a muddier than usual season with more lingering snow.

Post-holing in 2 feet of slush can slow your miles and screw up the best laid plans.

Skyline
05-05-2008, 10:34
Post-holing in 2 feet of slush can slow your miles and screw up the best laid plans.

Once that slush melts and turns to mud, it's not real great for the trail if you hike on it, either.

Scaper
05-06-2008, 00:27
I Thought Mt Katahdin got about 2 inches of rain the other day which changed to snow about 4 to 8 inches . I didn't here anything about 18 inches of snow on Mt. Katahdin with that last snow.

grizzlyadam
05-06-2008, 01:10
hey scraper...

check your forum headings. he's talking about the long trail.