PDA

View Full Version : arrowhead hunting along the trail

cody taylor
05-03-2008, 21:40
I enjoy some good arrowhead hunting and was wondering if anyone out there has ever found any along the trail. If so, do you know of any good hiker friendly spots to look? Thanks alot!

STEVEM
05-03-2008, 22:06
I found a broken flint arrowhead right on the trail while dayhiking between Rt 94 and Waywayanda in Vernon NJ. I happened to meet a dad hiking with his young son, and gave it to the boy. He was thrilled.

I found my first arrowhead when I was about 5 years old. I still have it and remember exactly where I found it and how excited I was.

cody taylor
05-03-2008, 22:37
That's awesome! Who would think you'd find one right on the trail, wonder how many time it had been stepped over! I live in central Indiana, it's always good for artifacts. Found my first point when I was about 10 or so. It's amazing to think about how each point ended up where it did, the great mystery. Thanks for the post!

emerald
05-03-2008, 22:38
I would think in general the probability of finding projectile points would be much better where those who produced them lived and hunted. In the area where I live, these people spent most of their time along water courses, rather than on nearby heights of land.

I believe there are places where removing such objects would be prohibited, but I am unable to provide a comprehensive reference for you which would specify where. Perhaps someone else can. I don't know whether or not ATC addresses this issue on their website.

emerald
05-03-2008, 22:41
When I was younger, I enjoyed hunting projectile points too. A great uncle of mine had a beautiful collection of native American artifacts he found near where he lived and I live still.

Mother Nature
05-03-2008, 23:21
The AT in Georgia used to go by Hickory Flats church property.

While dayhiking on the AT a friend was walking with Smokestack and I along the freshed graded road on that church property. As we passed the freshly turned dirt I spotted a single white stone in the brown topsoil and it crossed my mind it could be an arrowhead but I kept walking. My friend strolled over and plucked an arrowhead out of the dirt. Perfect condition.

Flush2wice
05-03-2008, 23:36
Most artifacts are along river valleys, not mountain tops and ridges.

River Runner
05-04-2008, 02:50
I found a white arrowhead coming off of Blue Mountain into Unicoi Gap, laying right in the trail.

Pokey2006
05-04-2008, 03:09
The trail doesn't just go over mountaintops -- it passes through river valleys, too.

Ramble~On
05-04-2008, 03:48
There have been a number of arrowheads found on Springer Mountain.
3 that I know of this year. 2 were in perfect condition and the 3rd was chipped.
1 of those is currently on its way to Katahdin.
Some might argue that it is wrong to remove artifacts and I understand that arguement and admit to having a small collection of arrowheads I found in a number of states.:rolleyes: It is illegal in many places to remove artifacts, plants and minerals such as gold, ginseng and galax.

elray
05-04-2008, 08:52
I encountered a Thru Hiker a few years ago in SNP who was carrying quite a nice little collection of points that he had collected along the way, his name now escapes me. Since that time I've found three of them myself on section hikes and always keep an eye on the erosion washes along the path. The AT wouldn't be my first choice for a place to hunt artifacts but it's an interesting part of the outdoor experience that reinforces the lore of the mountains.

canoehead
05-04-2008, 08:59
I was caving in NY and found an amazing fossil right there in a gravel parking lot, then I thought LNT. then I thought 2 tons of car driving over it. So I decided to pick it up and now proudly share my fossil for all to see, instead of it turning into groud up parking lot, its an educational tool to show what the cave was formed from.

Pedaling Fool
05-04-2008, 09:13
...then I thought LNT. then I thought 2 tons of car driving over it...
Good thinking!

Pedaling Fool
05-04-2008, 09:25
I would think there are some interesting artifacts on Blood Mnt waiting to be discovered, unless archeologists have already combed the area.

emerald
05-04-2008, 10:26
People interested in facts as opposed to uninformed opinions regarding what's permitted would be well advised to inform themselves by contacting Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests regarding artifacts there or see this page (http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/rules.htm) for general information.

Grampie
05-04-2008, 11:02
Jeff Hoch who owns the Hike Inn nead Fontand Dam has one of the best collections of arrowheads around. He has found most of them around the trail.

emerald
05-04-2008, 11:25
When I was much younger, I observed some quartz crystals when the light happened to be just right to illuminate them beneath a boulder field. Years later, when I revisited that same location, I saw a huge scar where the quartz crystals once were.

Someone or more likely more than 1 person apparently thought their desire to possess them trumped the rights of the lawful owner which happened to be the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and everyone else who would never enjoy the pleasure of finding them as I once did.

The thieves no doubt labored for quite some time with pry bars, sledge hammers and chisels, busted up the boulders, extracted the crystals, no doubt likely ruining them in the process, and left behind a mess to remind everyone who visited afterwards of their theft.

What did they gain? Such crystals could be bought by anyone who needed to possess some, but that site will never be the same again and could not be restored at any price.

Picking up a projectile point might viewed differently by authorities and recreational visitors, but what I described above may not be so different in many ways upon closer examination.

River Runner
05-04-2008, 12:08
Picking up a projectile point might viewed differently by authorities and recreational visitors, but what I described above may not be so different in many ways upon closer examination.

There is a definite case for leaving things where you find them, but there is also the case for removing them from an environment where they are likely to be damaged such as canoehead's situation. Of course, the important thing there is to check the applicable laws and the best case would be to turn the artifact in to the appropriate agency which could see that it it displayed where many could benefit from seeing it.

I do think there is a huge difference in the quartz destruction and picking up an arrowhead though. The difference being vandalism and leaving a scar on the land. While a missing arrowhead could be construed as a 'change', no one passing by later is likely to notice it.

naturejunkie
05-04-2008, 13:28
Take a methodological approach. Look up towns/counties along the trail. Many will have links to local-history websites. Often small locally maintained websites will have the best information. Some of those will detail areas of Native American settlement. Also reference historical websites specifically about the east coast tribes and settlements. Keep your eyes peeled when you are in areas that once had dense Native American Settlements and you just may get lucky.

There are also many "arrowhead" hunting websites that may help, although I think that the overwhelming majority deal with the West and Mid-West.

I have used this method in Maryland and Virginia along the Potomac and Chesapeake and come up with some amazing finds. I'm not sure how it will translate to the AT, but you never know.

Good luck!

Ramble~On
05-04-2008, 15:16
People interested in facts as opposed to uninformed opinions regarding what's permitted would be well advised to inform themselves by contacting Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests regarding artifacts there or see this page (http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/rules.htm) for general information.

Not wanting to sound "snooty" I'd like to point out that you could also look into the regulations for your local area. :D Perhaps I'll post more about this later.

Finding arrowheads in the east could bring about some interesting research...especially if you were to take your find to someone conducting research.
http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2008/aug/lowery080807.html

:-? Seems historians may have "uniformed opinions"

Digger'02
05-05-2008, 12:59
Just a friendly reminder that the AT is a National Park and it's illegal to....oh for instance....remove a artifact.

Although, i got my trail name from screwing around in the dirt at gaps, especially those with nearby water and finding artifacts.

DesertMTB
05-05-2008, 13:07
People who take artificats such as these suck (and may be committing a crime in some areas). Leave them on the ground.

sofaking
05-05-2008, 13:11
i don't hesitate to put rocks in my pack...

emerald
05-05-2008, 14:03
I'd like to point out that you could also look into the regulations for your local area.

When I looked for arrowheads, I did so most often behind a plow on farmland owned by my father in the course of gathering night-crawlers for legal trout fishing near where I lived. Sometimes, I'd walk over the freshly plowed field after a rain, once I consulted with my neighbor who rented it. Sometimes, I hunted them elsewhere under similar conditions, meaning I asked and received permission.

If a hiker on the AT finds an arrowhead, the right thing to do is to call it to the attention of authorities. People should not be collecting without proper permits, but if someone stumbles upon something, it's not difficult to call it to the attention of the land owner, since most land where the AT's located is publicly owned.

Finding arrowheads in the east could bring about some interesting research...especially if you were to take your find to someone conducting research.

Reread the thread carefully as well as WhiteBlaze's terms of service (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement). Some of what's been posted walks right up to and may cross the line. I think what some have referred to may be called stealing.

The point of regulating collecting and not encouraging it here is to protect resources and to assure what might be stumbled upon is not damaged and is seen by someone who understands its full value.

ki0eh
05-05-2008, 15:48
I understand that archeology is highly dependent on not only retrieving the artifacts themselves but also the context - the three dimensional placement relative to other artifacts.

I heard that years ago, during the construction of the Clarks Ferry bridge that carries the A.T. over the Susquehanna (just north of Duncannon) that there was quite a "night shift" of artifact hunters while the bridge approaches were being excavated.

Now, of course, Federal law requires that such investigations be conducted professionally before such intrusive, Federally funded construction. That will ensure that the next road job will uncover the prehistoric equivalent of the Doyle. ;)

emerald
05-05-2008, 16:18
What you referred to at Clark's Ferry may have been a gray area and the Commonwealth may have looked the other way or may have even indirectly encouraged it since the site would be destroyed and something of value might be found. I expect the legally required investigations had already been conducted and the project was already approved at the point you mentioned.

I would add, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania published a book at one time which may or may not be out of print that pointed out road cuts where fossils might be found. I heard collecting is no longer permitted at one site listed which is why people should pick up their telephone and call first to get current information.

Tankerhoosen
05-05-2008, 22:10
Whats the difference between an artifact and garbage? a few hundred years.

ki0eh
05-05-2008, 22:17
Fifty, or sometimes less, years, actually: http://www.nps.gov/nr/listing.htm

Wise Old Owl
05-05-2008, 22:44
This started out as a great thread - and quickly soured like Milk

Seize the day, when you can take the pebble....

I can absolutely understand folks out west who need to figure out the past and need this vital information. Here in the east we cannot change the past, The folk here drove the Indians to the brink of genocide, and have no memory of it. No apologies - collect your rocks. There needs to be an atonement or an apology, not worrying about what the government is going to do.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-06-2008, 05:15
Collecting artifacts on NPS and USFS property is illegal. This thread is being closed because it promotes an illegal activity.

From the WB Terms of Service:
4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.