PDA

View Full Version : Golite Adrenaline 20F Bag?

earlylight
05-04-2008, 07:43
Has anyone had good/bad experiences with the Golite adrenaline sleeping bag series?

I'm thinking about buying a Golite Adrenaline 20 (http://golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=SS7551&s=1) for use in a Hennessey Hammock section hiking the Long Trail this summer. I really like the zipper on top of the chest and the bag specs look great.

Thx,

Roland
05-04-2008, 08:05
I've never used a Golite bag, but that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. :D

I believe that hammock users prefer quilts, or bags that can be fully unzipped. I'm not familiar with this bag, but from the link you posted, it appears to have a 1/2 zip.

Also, Golite prides themselves in making "lite" gear. Often, that means slimming the dimensions of their products. I didn't see the girth of this bag listed in their specs. You might want to investigate that before ordering. Better yet, find a dealer who has one in stock, and try it on for size.

earlylight
05-04-2008, 08:25
I believe that hammock users prefer quilts, or bags that can be fully unzipped. I'm not familiar with this bag, but from the link you posted, it appears to have a 1/2 zip.

Fair point, I should probably qualify and say that this bag would be for dual use - hammock and tents - I'm just focused on use in a hammock for the summer. And I sleep COLD.

Roland
05-04-2008, 08:46
There are lots of folks here who know way more about hammocks, than I ever will. You might also post your question at the WB sister-site www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)

earlylight
05-04-2008, 10:48
There are lots of folks here who know way more about hammocks, than I ever will. You might also post your question at the WB sister-site www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)

Good tip. But I know lots about Hammocks already - I am mainly interested in people's experience with this particular sleeping bag.

A-Train
05-04-2008, 14:59
If you're ready to drop 325 bucks on a Golite back, check out the Western Mountaineering Ultralite. 20 degree bag, made in the US, 3 oz less than the GOlite and a couple bucks more.

I've never used the Golite back, but they've got a reputation for making light gear that doens't stand the rigors of trail use like other companies do. I wouldn't imagine it would be as warm as competitors like WM.

Just my 2cents

earlylight
05-04-2008, 17:06
If you're ready to drop 325 bucks on a Golite back, check out the Western Mountaineering Ultralite. 20 degree bag, made in the US, 3 oz less than the GOlite and a couple bucks more.

Just my 2cents

I can get the golite at a 30% discount, but not a WM, which would be $400+. So biggest question in my mind is how warm is the golite? I can always return it if it doesn't fit, and longevity is less important to me as long as I get 2 years out of it.

Mags
05-05-2008, 01:59
I'm a big fan of Feathered Friends/WM bags. I had to retire my Hummingbird after X amount of miles. :(

At full price for a GoLite bag, it costs as much as FF/WM.

BUT, like you, I bought a Golite Adrenaline at substantial discount. (Warehouse sale..).

SO far, so good. Very warm, very light. It appears the rating is "true". I am NOT a warm sleeper.

In terms of fit, I have the regular bag. For personal size, I am on the short side (5'6"), but not thin side (I was once compared to my ex-girlfriend's pitbull-mix: We are both short, stocky and barrel chested. He is sweet and a bit dopey, too. :D) and found the bag to fit quite well.

I have not used it on a long hike yet, but have quite a few bag nights in it.

Soo...if you can spend $300+, get a WM of FF. If you are lucky enough to get a deep discount, the Golite bag seems pretty good.

earlylight
05-06-2008, 22:51

I've never used the Golite back, but they've got a reputation for making light gear that doens't stand the rigors of trail use like other companies do. I wouldn't imagine it would be as warm as competitors like WM.

Just my 2cents

A-train,

I have come to my senses and agree that the WM Ultralite 20 is a far better bag. I am going to save up for it and get one instead of the Golite. In a hammock, it is nice to be able to vent the entire bag or use it as a quilt when it is warm. In addition, If you read the specs closely the WM has 1 inch more loft than the Golite and is consisently rated as being a warm bag. Plus it is lighter.

Thx all for feedback.

A-Train
05-06-2008, 22:57
A-train,

I have come to my senses and agree that the WM Ultralite 20 is a far better bag. I am going to save up for it and get one instead of the Golite. In a hammock, it is nice to be able to vent the entire bag or use it as a quilt when it is warm. In addition, If you read the specs closely the WM has 1 inch more loft than the Golite and is consisently rated as being a warm bag. Plus it is lighter.

Thx all for feedback.

I must admit I'm happy to hear this.:) Not because I like to be "right", but I really really stand behind WM. When I worked retail I loved nothing more than talking people into buying Westies.

My bags got about 5000 miles on, has seen most of 2 thru-hikes, and although admittedly won't keep me warm at 20 degrees any longer, is still ticking. I'd say I got my money's worth. I'm confident you will too, ER!