PDA

View Full Version : section hiking

sagishira
05-04-2008, 07:49
my husband and i are planning on hiking for about 3 weeks at the end of may. the only limitation that we have is that we're leaving from NY and have to return there within the 3 weeks, so we'd rather hike part of the northern part of the trail. any suggestions?

Roland
05-04-2008, 07:56
That will be prime bug season in ME, NH and VT. It may also be very wet in places. I would consider Southern New England, or even NJ southward, for your time frame.

sagishira
05-04-2008, 08:13
does that meen mass. and con. or further south?

Roland
05-04-2008, 08:16
does that meen mass. and con. or further south?

Yes....

sasquatch2014
05-04-2008, 19:34
You can take a Metro North Trail up to Pawling NY and pick up the trail there. You can then hike north and grab a bus back down to NYC if need be.

gsingjane
05-04-2008, 19:57
End of May, I think I'd maybe start out in southern MA and head south. You can take a Metro North train to New Haven and then take a bus (will look for the name of the company, can also be found on the NY/NJ ATC site or I am sure somebody here will volunteer it) into one of the MA trail towns. Then you could hike south through CT, NY, NJ and either end at DWG, or see how far you get into PA. Have fun!

Jane in CT

Pootz
05-04-2008, 20:12
If you want to encounter thru hikers you should hike in PA, that is where they will be. If you start in New York and head north there are lots nice sections

LIhikers
05-05-2008, 15:00
End of May, I think I'd maybe start out in southern MA and head south. You can take a Metro North train to New Haven and then take a bus (will look for the name of the company, can also be found on the NY/NJ ATC site or I am sure somebody here will volunteer it) into one of the MA trail towns. Then you could hike south through CT, NY, NJ and either end at DWG, or see how far you get into PA. Have fun!

Jane in CT

He's the web page for public transportation in and near New York
http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/no-car.html
I guess if I didn't already have a trail name I'd be "someone" :)

sagishira
05-07-2008, 02:17
thanks everyone!!!

Rambler
05-07-2008, 09:13
You can find all the necessary numbers and info in the Thru-Hikers Handbook and the Handbook written by Attroll which so popular that it is hard to find! As you hike through NY/NJ you will be surprised at the thousands of acres of protected wilderness only 35 miles or so north of NYC. (Click on Appalachian Pages at the top corner of this page!!)