PDA

View Full Version : Time and info from SNP to HP?

BobbyNoel
05-04-2008, 10:27
What would I expect for time from SNP to HP? Any other observations about this section and moving thru the roller coaster? Places to stay in HP?

Rob

doggiebag
05-04-2008, 11:12
That's a distance of around 160 miles. A conditioned hiker will find it to be a pleasant section with lots of options for resupply. I'm talking about a "conditioned hiker" 20 + mile days. North of the Shenandoahs (Front Royal Va) Resupply options get a little thin until you get past the Roller Coaster and into the Bears Den Hostel. Once you make it to the Bears Den - you're within 19 or so miles to Harpers Ferry. In short your longest stretch without a decent place to resupply is the 30 miles between Front Royal, VA to Bluemont, VA (Bears Den Hostel) - though there is a country store about a third of a mile west at Deals Gap. The section going through WV in that area is a little rocky. The roller coaster can be frustrating to some ... but with the right attitude you can enjoy the stretch. Overall - I personally find that section relatively easy in good weather. A couple of days of rain can make the roller coaster a royal pain. It all boils down to conditioning - if you're in shape it's no big thing. If you're not in shape - that's a 160 mile section that could easily turn hellish.