PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hiking SOBO starting early June 2008?

glacier48
05-04-2008, 12:20
Hey there,

My name is Glacier. My husband and I plus 2 dogs are leaving on June 4th for the appalachian trail. We are starting at Abol Bridge in Maine. My husband will hike with me 100 miles until we reach Monson. From there I will hike 3 months on my own. I am going to college in the fall.

I just thought it would be nice to connect with people who are also hiking southbound this summer. It would enjoy looking for familiar names in the AT journals in the shelters.

The excitement, anticipation and fear is more than I can stand at times. This
is the biggest adventure of my life and I look forward to the growth of courage and strength that I will attain.

I am sure that I will face alot of my fears this summer.

Looking forward to hearing from you, may trail magic find you and the kindship of the trail give you new family.

Glacier

chip B
05-04-2008, 19:19
:welcome hi there trail name chipmonk.. leaving abol bridge may 27 south have done katahdin already.. i go very slow so you might catch up.. last time i started the hundred mile wilderness most of it was under water in 06 had to get off at whites landing.. good luck chip

glacier48
05-05-2008, 18:50
I also am a slow hiker. Isn't it thrilling to be heading to the trail so soon? I am thrilled. My dog hurt her paw today so I am not sure if I will have my hiking buddy or not.

Four weeks and I leave. I hope to run into you, cross paths, or read your entries in the registers. Good luck with your journal, may your days be sunny.

Glacier

glacier48
05-05-2008, 19:02
When you say you are a slow hiker just how slow are you? I am very slow also but have yet to meet someone slower than myself.
:confused:
Glacier

Frick Frack
05-05-2008, 20:10
My wife and I just moved to Asheville, NC and things have not gone so well as far as employment...one of us has been over worked and the other is having trouble finding work so while we have no bills we are planning a last minute tru-hike...something we have all along wanted to do. We have section hiked north to Mt. Rogers headquarters (and got married on Springer) so we know what we are getting into. If I can find someone to take care of my best furry friend we should be off first week of June...last minute crunch time.

glacier48
05-06-2008, 09:39
I wish you all the luck in the world. Perhaps we will cross paths. The last minute excitement and preparations are killing me. I am worried that I will be carrying to much. I am a 48 year old, overweight, slow hiking woman so the going will be tough at times but I am up for the challenge.

:sun Glacier

TJ aka Teej
05-06-2008, 09:53
I'm driving two MEGAs up from Portland on June 3rd, we'll pull into KSC around 5PM or so.
By mid-June, if the trend holds, there'll be 80 or so southbound from Baxter.
Don't forget to check the WhiteBlaze Southbounder's forum!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422

surefoot
05-06-2008, 19:31
My son and I are arriving in Baxter State Park on June 6th. Hopefully Katahdan will be open so we can hit it on the 7th then start the 100 mile wilderness on the 8th. He is planning a thru but I have to be back at work on July 29th. We tend to be fast hikers so we may see you but won’t be together long.

glacier48
05-07-2008, 08:08
That would be awesome to run into you. I will be easy to recognize at that time. My husband will be with me (Cow Patty), my terrier mix (Gray Dog Red Pack) and my black Pomeranian that weighs 6 pounds (Flea). They will be with me for the 100 mile wilderness and then it will just be me and Gray Dog Red Pack.

Nothing like bringing the whole damn family. Couldn't find good doggie day care. Oh well, they both love to hike.

Take care Surefoot and I am sure Katadin will be open then although there may be snow. 200 inches of snow up north this winter, they are still digging out.
:sun
Glacier

surefoot
05-07-2008, 18:02
We'll be looking for you Glacier. We will be in Katahdin Stream campground if I remember right. Look for two big guys, 6'2" and 5'11", both around 200 pounds with southern accents. We both have Osprey back packs, his is green and mine is blue. Take care and good hiking.

chip B
05-07-2008, 18:56
hi glacier.. i usually avg about 1 mile an hour. i am in no hurry. there to enjoy the trip its getting close.. hope the water goes down some

orangebug
05-07-2008, 19:00
Almost There and I are sectioning from Mt K beginning 6/10. We fly into Portland, rented a car to Bangor and will take the bus on up to Millinockit. The hostel will pick us up and in the AM we will start. I hope the mountain is open by then but if not, might opt for an Abol Bridge start and just go a bit further south and save Mt K for later.

glacier48
05-08-2008, 08:23
I am starting at Abol and the new date of departure is June 4. I am run across some of you. That is so exciting. Good luck to all of us with our big adventure and dreams.

Glacier

naturejunkie
05-08-2008, 08:34
I will be hiking Katahdin on the 15th and heading South on the 16th. Good Luck and have a great hike!

rcli4
05-08-2008, 09:00
I am starting June 4th. I'll see ya out there.

Clyde

dironstarr
05-10-2008, 18:53
My sister and I are planning on starting our "rest-of-our-lives section hike" (a week a year til we die or finish) June 2nd from Roaring Brook Campground in Baxter. Crossing our fingers right now that it will be open.

Hope to see you all out there.

Hope the next 3 weeks are warm up north.....