PDA

View Full Version : Question for Big Agnes Bag owners.

Brooks2009
05-04-2008, 13:55
I'm about to buy a sleeping bag and so far the Big Agnes system really appeals to me. Really I'd just like to know how effective the system is. Are their temperature ratings accurate? Does the area where the bag meets the pad pocket let cold air in or is there enough insulation there to prevent that? Any other pros and cons you can think of as well. Thanks! :)

generoll
05-04-2008, 14:20
I've got one of their bags and like it a lot. It took me awhile to work things out with it as the zipper is to the bottom more then to the side. What I mean is that if you assume the bag is a circle, the uninsulated portion where the pad fits is probably around 100-120 degrees of the circle and the zipper is on that margin so I have to fiddle with it carefully to keep from snagging the lining. The bag is a snug fir for us full figured guys (5'11", 215#) but gets pretty cosy once you've got everything squared away. I use it in a hammock which took quite a bit of wrestling to get right, but once you're there you don't have to worry about the pad slipping away from you. I also use a nylon liner to keep the bag cleaner and just wash the liner after each outing. That also takes some slithering around before I can get settled in for the night.

Temp ratings are relative. Whether the rating reflects a comfort rating or a survival rating I guess depends on how you sleep and what you wear to sleep in. As far as temp ratings go, I believe in overkill.

The first night in my new BA bag I broke the zipper pull in the middle of the night on night one of a one week trip. Fortunately I saved the pieces as I had to hold them on the zipper to pull it up. It would unzip without the pull, but going up required me to put on my glasses, get my headlamp out, and then find the ziplock bag with the pieces to operate the zipper. Quite an operation when the wee hour stroll becomes urgent. Maybe it was unzipping, I don't remember now. Anyway, BA paid for the return shipping and repaired the zipper at no charge. I'd broken it by getting it stuck and then yanking on it in the middle of the night as I got colder and needed to zip up the bag.

I'll probably stay with this bag for quite awhile. It's served my purposes and I can stuff it and the deflated pad as a unit into the provided stuff sack. Saves a bit of time in the morning and makes inflating and setting up easier when space is limited.

EMAN
05-05-2008, 07:58
I've also used the BA stuff for a good while. A Horse Thief 35 degree and currently a Zirkel 20 degree. Both down bags. I found on a recent ice storm hike ending trip that I awoke cold some time during the night. And it lasted a while. Just couldn't seem to warm up. I'm not sure how cold it got through the night but it was 25 when we got up that morning. I had sort of wondered about this on a trip I made to Savage Gulf one winter. I noticed I was more chilled than I thought I should be.
I usually carry a liner and more clothing but I reckon on this last trip, I suffered from dumb a** syndrome and didn't take any of that. Paid the price.
As with Gene's gear (although my zipper broke on a expander piece) I broke a zipper the last day of another trip on the BMT but BA paid the postage and sent me a new one.
I've had 2 of their pads go bad but they have repaired or replaced both at their expense for the most part.
I definitely like this stuff however. Don't have to worry about rolling off the pad. And Iusually just deflate and cram the whole thing down inside my pack.
I recommend one of the Air Core Insulated pads. Thicker and warmer. Though I got cold the last trip, it wasn't from the ground up.

HikerRanky
05-05-2008, 10:14
I've got a Crystal 30, the Insulated Air Core pad, and a Horse Thief 35 bag as well... With the Crystal 30, the IAC pad, and my Hennessy Supershelter, I'm personally good down to about 10 degrees, and up to about 45 degrees (warm sleeper).

During the summer, I'll carry the Horse Thief as a quilt, and put the IAC in my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe hammock. Don't need the foam pad in the Supershelter

As the others have stated, the zippers can be a little bit of trouble...

Hope this helps.

Randy

rpenczek
05-05-2008, 13:32
I have two Big Agnes Bags, a 50 degree Lost Dog (Syn) and an 15 degree Lost Ranger (650 GD). Both are very accurate temp ratings (for me) with a 15 degree insulated Air Core pad. I can take the 50 degree bag down to 40 (did so last weekend) with the right cloths on (hat, fleece shirt and pants and socks). I have had the 15 degree down to 0 with nothing but a hat, t-shirt and boxers and been very comfortable.

The spot where the pad meets the bag has a baffle (just like a zipper baffle) so I don't really have any cold spots.

Also, the bags are roomy (more so than a typcial mummy or regtangular bag). I am 6' 3" and 300 Lbs and fit snugly. I sometimes use a weggie (bag expander) to add an additional 6" (I think) when the temp will be higher than the bags rating.

Both bags pack up small and are light (50 degree is about 1.5 lbs and the 15 degree is about 3.1 lbs). The air core pad is 1.7 lbs. (a little heavy, but really really really comfortable). I have about 30 nights (in the past 18 months) camping on my pad and have not had any problems (deflating or otherwise).

I really like the Big Agnes system. Prior to this system, I used a Marmot Sawtooth (15 degree) and a Prolite 4 pad. This Marmot bag is great, but my Big Agnes pad is much much much better than the Prolite.

envirodiver
05-05-2008, 13:42
I have a 15 deg Crater down BA bag. I bought mine on Steep & Cheap w/ Hinman pad for $150. Great deal and I'm very happy with the BA system. I like sliding the pad into the sleeve in the bottom of the bag. Keeps me ( I toss and Turn through the night) on my pad. The BA bag seems to have a bit more room in it also, so I can turn over without the bag turning with me.

Regarding rating, it seems to me that the rating is a bit optimistic. I got cool a few times in my bag at about 25 deg. But, I do not use the hood, and I expect that makes a big difference. Cause not only is my head exposed but, even with the draft collar, there is more chance for outside air to get in.

KnowledgeEngine
05-05-2008, 14:58
I have a crystal and a insulated air core pad, I use mine in a hammock too, have also used in tents.

This was my first "higher end" sleeping bag I have owned. I did my research before I invested the cash. I have been very happy with it. I do share the disappointment at the zipper conflagaration, mine hasn't broke, but it does get hung up on the baffles. On the flip side, never had a breeeze come through that zipper either. Temp ratings...I think my bag is rated for 30, it can sure do it too. If the weather is anything above 40 I have to strip down to boxers to sleep in the bag, which I like as a feature anyhow.

If I buy any more bags in the future for different temps, I plan on them being BA. A good thing to remember is a BA System will be cheaper than competing Systems because you only pay for the bottom of the bag (the pad) one time. With other bag companies you are buying a bottom for each temp. zone.

Reduces the possibility of alien abduction...they cannot easily enough operate the zipper, leave you alone in frustration.