PDA

View Full Version : Raw/ uncooked eggs

CBSSTony
05-04-2008, 14:27
Whats the best way to pack raw/uncooked eggs, for a week long hike in warm weather?

minnesotasmith
05-04-2008, 14:32
FYI, I've never tried them myself.

http://www.fullbooks.com/The-Dollar-Hen4.html

Preserving Eggs Out of Cold Storage.

Occasional articles have been printed in agricultural papers calling
attention to the fact that the cold storage men were reaping vast
profits which rightfully belonged to the farmer. Such writers advise
the farmer to send his own eggs to the storage house or to preserve
them by other means.

As a matter of fact the business of storing eggs has not of late
years been particularly profitable, there being severe losses during
several seasons; Even were the profit of egg storing many times
greater than they are the above advice would still be unwise, for
the storing, removing and selling of a small quantity of eggs would
eat up all possible profit.

The only reliable methods of preserving eggs outside of cold storage
are as follows:

Liming: Make a saturated solution of lime, to which salt may be
added, let it settle, dip off the clear liquid, put the eggs in
while fresh, keep them submerged in the liquid and keep the liquid
as cold as the available location will permit.

Water glass: This is exactly the same as liming except that the
solution used is made by mixing ten per cent. of liquid water glass
or sodium silicate with water.

Liming eggs was formerly more popular than it is to-day. There are
still two large liming plants in this country and several in Canada.
In Europe both lime and water glass are used on a more extensive
scale.

All limed or water glassed eggs can be told at a glance by an
experienced candler. They pop open when boiled. When properly
preserved they are as well or better flavored than storage stock,
but the farmer or poultryman will make frequent mistakes and thus
throw lots of positively bad eggs on the market. These eggs must be
sold at a low price themselves, and by their presence cast suspicion
on all eggs, thus tending to suppress the price paid to the
producers. The farmers' efforts to preserve eggs has in this way
acted as a boomerang, and have in the long run caused more loss than
gain to the producers.
====================================

More info on liming eggs:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Qzp9TNc0FOgC&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=liming+eggs+-sludge+-daphnia&source=web&ots=guVU8r5QjA&sig=W0kKOrDNhfTdQqpt2wv_aEbhkKs&hl=en

weary
05-04-2008, 17:43
Whats the best way to pack raw/uncooked eggs, for a week long hike in warm weather?
Special plastic containers are available, but I just keep them in the original cartons and place them in a part of my pack where they are subject to minimal bumps and bangs. Nature produced eggs to withstand far more than a week of warm weather. They won't spoil. Just carry and eat.

When I was growing up, eggs were stacked unrefrigerated on store shelves. Fresh eggs will last for weeks without being refrigerated. Any egg you buy from a refrigerated case is good for a week or 10 days, at least, with no special preservation techniques. Most of the techniques you read about on White Blaze shorten storage, rather than lengthen it.

Weary

fiddlehead
05-04-2008, 17:56
Living in Thailand where the average daily temps usually hit 90, I've never seen eggs refrigerated in a store or a home. My wife will not put them in the refrigerator. She thinks i'm crazy for suggesting it.

Sleepy the Arab
05-04-2008, 20:28

Inside a chicken?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-04-2008, 20:32
What Weary said about spoilage and the plastic cartons work better than the ones from the store IME.

CBSSTony
05-05-2008, 09:24
Thanks for the input, my grandparents had a farm with chickens, and now that you mention it. I seem to remember they stored them in cartons out of the sun. I also thought about hiking with a chicken for fresh eggs then fresh chicken towards the end of the hike.

minnesotasmith
05-05-2008, 09:30
Or, the egg yolks, anyway, is on the insides of your arteries. They'll stay there, unchanged, for a lifetime. ;):-?

Lone Wolf
05-05-2008, 10:16

http://www.rei.com/product/696008

Grinder
05-05-2008, 11:29
Sailors coat eggs in lard and carry them for a month, unrefrigerated, while sailing across the atlantic in or near the tropics.

A bad egg stinks, no chance of missing it. (hence, the term "rotten egg" for a bad thing)
miles of smiles
Tom

max patch
05-05-2008, 12:17
Personally, I wouldn't carry raw eggs on a backpacking trip.

But if for some reason I had to, I believe I'd crack em at home and carry them in a nalgene.

weary
05-05-2008, 12:43

But if for some reason I had to, I believe I'd crack em at home and carry them in a nalgene.
That avoids the possibility of messy spills in your pack, but hastens spoilage of the eggs. The unbroken shell is nature's natural egg preservative.

Weary

CBSSTony
05-05-2008, 13:49
I have tried the nalgene bottle for over night trips. I just didn't like to drink out of it after I cleaned it well. I could have boiled water I suppose, but it was a no stove hike. We cooked over an open flame. I thought about wrapping bubble wrap around them with duct tape. My chicken was reading over my shoulder and read the post about me taking my chicken. Now she won't come with me even if its foul weather.

Alligator
05-05-2008, 13:55

But if for some reason I had to, I believe I'd crack em at home and carry them in a nalgene.You could whip up a BPA omelette;).

KnowledgeEngine
05-05-2008, 14:13
I think there is a post here on wb or over on HF on the shelf life of eggs at room temperture. I recall the longest lasting eggs (over 45 days) were treated in the water glass. For shorter term storage IE 14 days, people seemed to have decent success rubbing petrolatum over the eggs (vaseline). Basically the eggshell is a permeable membrane, and the waterglass or the vaseline blocks the pores in the eggshell.

weary
05-05-2008, 16:35
An egg needs to be incubated for 21 days to produce a chick. A mother hen typically produces 9-12 eggs before starting incubation. That means eggs evolved to stay viable for at least 33 days in order to produce chicks.

That means you can carry fresh eggs at least between two and three weeks without the eggs spoiling. In the real world you can probable double that time span, but no sensible backpacker needs to keep eggs fresh more than a week.

Back when I was raising three kids on a marginal salary, I would commonly buy 10 dozen eggs when they were on a bargain sale and keep them on a shelf in a 65 degree back hall way. I never once had an egg spoil on me.

Weary

ToyYoda
05-05-2008, 17:35
Special plastic containers are available, but I just keep them in the original cartons and place them in a part of my pack where they are subject to minimal bumps and bangs. Nature produced eggs to withstand far more than a week of warm weather. They won't spoil. Just carry and eat.

When I was growing up, eggs were stacked unrefrigerated on store shelves. Fresh eggs will last for weeks without being refrigerated. Any egg you buy from a refrigerated case is good for a week or 10 days, at least, with no special preservation techniques. Most of the techniques you read about on White Blaze shorten storage, rather than lengthen it.

Weary
Yep.

If you have a local farmers market, or amish market you can find some really good fresh eggs there. Do not fridge them. They will last for a week just fine.

Rain Man
05-05-2008, 20:40

I dip them in boiling water for 3-to-5 seconds. It "cooks" a thin layer of the insides up against the shell, sealing all the tiny cracks and air holes.

It's the same theory as the Vaseline, just not as messy. They're supposed to last up to 21 days, if I recall.

I take them on section hikes and have fresh eggs for a real breakfast. Much better than instant oatmeal.

Have yet to have one crack in my pack, too.

Rain:sunMan

Bulldawg
05-05-2008, 20:54
OK folks, just like others said, farm fresh eggs will not spoil in average tmeps for a long long time. I raise laying chickens here at home. Thing is a farm fresh egg has a coating on the outside of the egg that basically seals the inside of the egg from the atmosphere for quite a long time. So long as you do not wash them, I have seen eggs last 60 days and still be good; UNREFRIGERATED! Now, you cannot do that with store bought eggs mind you because they have been washed and nature's coating removed.

Another bonus and thread hijack is this. Farm raised, free range, non caged brown eggs are by far 100 times better than the store bought eggs. And if ya really want to add some tastiness and nutrition to them, get ya a rooster and collect those fertile eggs to eat. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm!!

daibutsu
05-06-2008, 17:33
In the BSA we'd just coat the eggs in vaseline, it's amazing but we discovered air/oxygen ruined eggs. If we had no weight issues, and had a later use for a jar, we'd just break open alot of eggs and pour them on each other. When you pout them out the yolks pretty much stay with the albument. That's a big word for a 12 year old.

daibutsu
05-06-2008, 17:34
why can't I edit? Albumin!!! arrrrrrrgh

kayak karl
05-06-2008, 19:19
I dip them in boiling water for 3-to-5 seconds. It "cooks" a thin layer of the insides up against the shell, sealing all the tiny cracks and air holes.

It's the same theory as the Vaseline, just not as messy. They're supposed to last up to 21 days, if I recall.

I take them on section hikes and have fresh eggs for a real breakfast. Much better than instant oatmeal.

Have yet to have one crack in my pack, too.

Rain:sunMan

He.s right. Tinker agreed in past too! http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=540962#poststop

russb
05-06-2008, 20:55
I'll second what Bulldawg said about fresh free range eggs. Mann those are good. Thems chickens eat all kinds of protein and their yolks are almost orange in color. And they taste soooo goood. I have a friend at work who has free range chickens and I get my eggs from her. Once you do, you will never go to store bought again.

Bulldawg
05-06-2008, 21:18
Yeah russb, they are great. I get a premium for my leftovers after I give eggs to my family. Right now, I get about $4 a dozen. Not a "money maker" but it does help with the feed.

Appalachian Tater
05-06-2008, 21:57
I'll second what Bulldawg said about fresh free range eggs. Mann those are good. Thems chickens eat all kinds of protein and their yolks are almost orange in color. And they taste soooo goood. I have a friend at work who has free range chickens and I get my eggs from her. Once you do, you will never go to store bought again.
Pigment content

The color of the yolk is a reflection of its pigment content. In addition, the type of pigment in the egg and its concentration are directly influenced by the dietary concentration of any particular pigment.

Consumer preferences vary greatly on yolk color, even in the same country. Color is described on the basis of the Roche Color Fan (RCF). Yolk colors from 6 to 15 can be achieved by using only natural pigmenters obtained from natural raw materials. Natural sources can be from plants such as marigold, chili, or corn. The high protein blue-green algae known as Spirulina has also been shown to be a very efficient pigment source for poultry skin and egg yolk.

Recent research has shown that eggs may be beneficial in preventing macular degeneration, a major cause of blindness in the elderly. A recent study indicated that higher intake of carotenoids reduced the risk of age-related macular degeneration. The most effective carotenoids were lutein and zeaxanthin, which are commonly found in dark-green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and collard greens.

Most of the carotenoids in egg yolk are hydroxy compounds called xanthophylls. Lutein and zeaxanthin are two of the most common xanthophylls found in egg yolk. Lutein and zeaxanthin are high in pigmented feed ingredients such as yellow corn, alfalfa meal, corn gluten meal, dried algae meal, and marigold-petal meal. Fortunately, both lutein and zeaxanthin are efficiently transferred to the yolk when these various feed ingredients are fed to laying hens.

The egg processing industry has routinely produced highly pigmented yolks for use in bakery products, pasta and mayonnaise. Perhaps there would be a market for eggs having a higher level of lutein and zeaxanthin.

Unfortunately, American consumers prefer a lighter colored yolk and eggs from hens fed these xanthophylls will have more highly pigmented yolks. Perhaps the consumer can be educated to accept a darker yolk color. With a growing problem of macular degeneration in the elderly, the egg industry may want to seize this opportunity.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS048

Ender3D
12-02-2008, 01:41
WOW!
Thanks for the info guys/gals. You have jut turned my plans for breakfast from MEH to :-D.

Now to settle on a source for bacon (I've already read several post on this matter)

Rockhound
12-02-2008, 15:51
raw / uncooked eggs? as opposed to those raw fully cooked eggs?

minnesotasmith
12-02-2008, 16:38
Farm raised, free range, non caged brown eggs are by far 100 times better than the store bought eggs. And if ya really want to add some... nutrition to them, get ya a rooster and collect those fertile eggs to eat. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm!!

http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggFacts.htm

Fertile Eggs
"Eggs which can be incubated and developed into chicks. Fertile eggs are not more nutritious than nonfertile eggs, do not keep as well as nonfertile eggs and are more expensive to produce."

weary
12-03-2008, 00:02
OK folks, just like others said, farm fresh eggs will not spoil in average tmeps for a long long time. I raise laying chickens here at home. Thing is a farm fresh egg has a coating on the outside of the egg that basically seals the inside of the egg from the atmosphere for quite a long time. So long as you do not wash them, I have seen eggs last 60 days and still be good; UNREFRIGERATED! Now, you cannot do that with store bought eggs mind you because they have been washed and nature's coating removed.

Another bonus and thread hijack is this. Farm raised, free range, non caged brown eggs are by far 100 times better than the store bought eggs. And if ya really want to add some tastiness and nutrition to them, get ya a rooster and collect those fertile eggs to eat. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm!!
Those who read these forums with due diligence, know that BullDawg and I from time to time quibble over details.

But I can attest. Bulldawg knows his eggs. My grandmother raised laying hens, my Dad went broke raising laying hens. I raised laying hens for years.

Based on three generations of practice and observation, everything BullDawg says -- well about eggs anyway -- is abolutely true.

Weary

WalkingStick75
12-03-2008, 21:34
We raise our own chickens, fresh farm eggs will last easily a couple weeks even in warm weather. I just skimmed through the thread and somebody suggested that a bad egg will stink, very true. Another way to tell if a egg is going bad is put it in water if it floats then it is decomposing inside and producing gas which will make it float. Throw that one away!
Once you start eating farm fresh eggs you wont buy another pale white store egg. The color, flavor and taste is so much better.

weary
12-03-2008, 21:37
We raise our own chickens, fresh farm eggs will last easily a couple weeks even in warm weather. I just skimmed through the thread and somebody suggested that a bad egg will stink, very true. Another way to tell if a egg is going bad is put it in water if it floats then it is decomposing inside and producing gas which will make it float. Throw that one away!
Once you start eating farm fresh eggs you wont buy another pale white store egg. The color, flavor and taste is so much better.
Amazing. WalkingStick, knows almost as much as me and Bulldawg about eggs.

Weary

Bulldawg
12-03-2008, 21:41

Picked up 13 about half an hour ago. Nice happy hens lay beautiful brown and blue (yes blue) eggs that are absolutely fabulous scrambled, fried, or boiled just minutes out of the hen house.

Manwich
12-03-2008, 23:22
http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggFacts.htm

Fertile Eggs
"Eggs which can be incubated and developed into chicks. Fertile eggs are not more nutritious than nonfertile eggs, do not keep as well as nonfertile eggs and are more expensive to produce."

They do have slightly more protein in them.... from an infinitely more disgusting source.... rooster semen...

russb
12-04-2008, 06:53
Picked up 13 about half an hour ago. Nice happy hens lay beautiful brown and blue (yes blue) eggs that are absolutely fabulous scrambled, fried, or boiled just minutes out of the hen house.

My egg source also had blue eggs. Some shades were a greenish blue, others a soft turquoise. Not only were they beautiful, but they were the tastiest. Her "blue egg" hens are getting old now so she doesn't get many of these prized eggs anymore. Most of her henns lay the brown eggs, still wonderful. A few have some whitish speckles on the shell. they look cool but still aren't as good as the blues.

weary
12-04-2008, 13:27
I haven't had a good poached egg since the raccoons ate the last of my laying hens. As soon as I rebuild my hen house, I'm getting a new flock.

Eggs last a long time, as several of us have attested. But the best poached eggs are cooked in simmering hot water, within minutes of being taken warm from the nests.

Weary

Manwich
12-04-2008, 13:32
Last edited by Bulldawg; Yesterday at 22:26.

I am not offended but I am saddened :( lol

TD55
12-04-2008, 13:41
Is there a way to get double yokers through diet. I had a flock of Rhode Island Reds that seemed to produce alot of those when I had them on straight corn. Was it a fluke or did the corn diet have something to do with it?

Bulldawg
12-04-2008, 13:45
I am not offended but I am saddened :( lol

I hated to do it too, but I just knew some of the really offendable type people were gonna say something, better to head it off at the pass.

WalkingStick75
12-04-2008, 14:42
Yeah russb, they are great. I get a premium for my leftovers after I give eggs to my family. Right now, I get about $4 a dozen. Not a "money maker" but it does help with the feed.

We only get $1.50 dozen here in Michigan :mad:

Bulldawg
12-04-2008, 14:45
We only get $1.50 dozen here in Michigan :mad:

Caged, store bought medium sized white eggs are bringing right at $2 here. When I start selling again, mine will be $4 still.

WalkingStick75
12-04-2008, 18:25
Caged, store bought medium sized white eggs are bringing right at $2 here. When I start selling again, mine will be $4 still.

Too many people selling cheaper then store prices here. More of a hobby for us.

daibutsu
12-04-2008, 18:48
In topic, ( but great diversion ) rub the egg itself with vasoline (petroleum jelly); its the oxygen that gets them in the short term, like three weeks. Alternatively, get a mason jar, or similar, and crack them open and carefully slip/pour them on top of one another. when you need them just pour them out in little gloppy cells, it works!! Keep the jar well sealed and clean.

Bulldawg
12-05-2008, 17:30
In topic, ( but great diversion ) rub the egg itself with vasoline (petroleum jelly); its the oxygen that gets them in the short term, like three weeks. Alternatively, get a mason jar, or similar, and crack them open and carefully slip/pour them on top of one another. when you need them just pour them out in little gloppy cells, it works!! Keep the jar well sealed and clean.

3 weeks for store bought eggs maybe, but more like 5 or 6 weeks on farm fresh, never washed eggs. The store boughts have nature's coating washed off of them.

weary
12-06-2008, 00:55
why can't I edit? Albumin!!! arrrrrrrgh
Send White Blaze $10 and you can edit all you want. Someone has to pay for this site. Why not those of us who can only write by trial and error. I mean, come on. This is my fourth edit on what began as an 11 word post. I once even got moderated for a week because I forgot to edit. (this latter comment was edit #5!)

The Mechanical Man
12-06-2008, 01:41
Send White Blaze $10 and you can edit all you want. Someone has to pay for this site. Why not those of us who can only write by trial and error. I mean, come on. This is my fourth edit on what began as an 11 word post. I once even got moderated for a week because I forgot to edit. (this latter comment was edit #5!)

Why send money to whiteblaze? :-?

The website administrators probably all use jets, intead of cars to get to all hiking business adventures. :D

Wise Old Owl
12-09-2008, 23:49

The website administrators probably all use jets, intead of cars to get to all hiking business adventures. :D

Unfortunate thread swerve noted.

Seriously - software is leased, website server is leased - requires small donation on your part.

Wise Old Owl
12-09-2008, 23:58
3 weeks for store bought eggs maybe, but more like 5 or 6 weeks on farm fresh, never washed eggs. The store boughts have nature's coating washed off of them.

Uhh BD - the chicken crap has been washed off them. The shell is naturally a little porus. Microscopic holes that allow a little oxegen to the inner membrane. Hense the earlier post of ancient "glassing" and petroleum jelly will make your fresh eggs last longer by sealing the holes. You are on target. Weeks.

Getting back on topic and to cover an earlier post on a different thread, Someone mentioned taking the outer container from a Crystal Light and some cotton to transport large eggs. Better than coglans!

Otherwise hardboil and tape salt packs to the side.

Bulldawg
12-10-2008, 00:17
Uhh BD - the chicken crap has been washed off them. The shell is naturally a little porus. Microscopic holes that allow a little oxegen to the inner membrane. Hense the earlier post of ancient "glassing" and petroleum jelly will make your fresh eggs last longer by sealing the holes. You are on target. Weeks.

Getting back on topic and to cover an earlier post on a different thread, Someone mentioned taking the outer container from a Crystal Light and some cotton to transport large eggs. Better than coglans!

Otherwise hardboil and tape salt packs to the side.

Exactly how long this is depends on many things. The density and thickness of the shell is a factor. So too is the temperature. If the egg has a crack or imperfection that can greatly shorten the life of the egg. Fecal matter stains can shorten an eggs usability (the old farmer eats those right away). The general cleanliness and healthfulness of the chicken's environment is also a factor.

Eggs are laid with a natural antibiotic coating that is washed off when you clean it. This coating serves to protect the egg from disease. Commercial washing removes it and so raises the permeability of the shell. This shortens the time an egg can sit at room temperature. Condensation from being cold in the refrigerator, then being exposed to moist warm air, can be reabsorbed by the egg. This might not be that great if the egg were not clean. This creates a paradox. To clean...or not to clean...

But yeah, you can still eat unrefrigerated fresh eggs. It wasn't so abnormal in bygone times, but most people play it safe nowadays. After a few weeks time takes its toll. Even before the egg falls prey to infection, it starts to lose water. A small air sack begins to enlarge inside the egg. An egg that floats has lost enough water to effect negative bouyancy. Floaters are to be consumed immediately or discarded, its up to you. Cracked eggs are trash.

Wise Old Owl
12-10-2008, 00:37
Exactly how long this is depends on many things. The density and thickness of the shell is a factor. So too is the temperature. If the egg has a crack or imperfection that can greatly shorten the life of the egg. Fecal matter stains can shorten an eggs usability (the old farmer eats those right away). The general cleanliness and healthfulness of the chicken's environment is also a factor.

Eggs are laid with a natural antibiotic coating that is washed off when you clean it. This coating serves to protect the egg from disease. Commercial washing removes it and so raises the permeability of the shell. This shortens the time an egg can sit at room temperature. Condensation from being cold in the refrigerator, then being exposed to moist warm air, can be reabsorbed by the egg. This might not be that great if the egg were not clean. This creates a paradox. To clean...or not to clean...

But yeah, you can still eat unrefrigerated fresh eggs. It wasn't so abnormal in bygone times, but most people play it safe nowadays. After a few weeks time takes its toll. Even before the egg falls prey to infection, it starts to lose water. A small air sack begins to enlarge inside the egg. An egg that floats has lost enough water to effect negative bouyancy. Floaters are to be consumed immediately or discarded, its up to you. Cracked eggs are trash.

Ok you have me - I raised 30 hens when I was a kid and never heard of this before, where can I find something that would support what you are talking about. I am looking and I just found this ::::

How Does Salmonella Infect Eggs?

Bacteria can be on the outside of a shell egg. That's because the egg exits the hen's body through the same
passageway as feces is excreted. That's why eggs are washed and sanitized at the processing plant. Bacteria can be
inside an uncracked, whole egg. Contamination of eggs may be due to bacteria within the hen's ovary or oviduct
before the shell forms around the yolk and white. SE doesn't make the hen sick. It is also possible for eggs to
become infected by Salmonella Enteritidis fecal contamination through the pores of the shells after they're laid.

Here is where I found it.

http://www.fmi.org/newsletters/uploads/FSC//Shell_Eggs_from_Farm_to_Table_2.doc_3_18_08__2.pdf

Grinder
12-10-2008, 09:30
I second the idea of vaseline coating.

Sailors who cross the atlantic by sail coat the eggs with either grease or parafin wax. Those eggs last a month in the hold in the tropics with only a few random failures.

Grinder

still heavy though

weary
12-10-2008, 11:49
So you can edit, among other reasons.

mkmangold
12-10-2008, 14:37
This article is based on experiments by "Mother Earth News." Their advice is to NOT clean the chicken poop (really the "bloom") off of the eggs first: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Can-You-Really-Store-Fresh-Eggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx

weary
12-10-2008, 17:42
This article is based on experiments by "Mother Earth News." Their advice is to NOT clean the chicken poop (really the "bloom") off of the eggs first: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Can-You-Really-Store-Fresh-Eggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx
I'm not a fan of Mother Earth News. (I haven't regularly read it for several decades, ever since I read that the publisher lived in an all electric house with an in ground swimming pool.)

But the article coincides with my limited experiments over the years, so I may start reading the magazine again. I saw nothing in the article that surprised me -- which of course, is another reason I'm not a subscriber. Very little in the magazine ever did.

Weary

Wise Old Owl
12-10-2008, 19:04
Yes but that was the support for what Buldawg said - thank you for finding it.

[1] Unwashed, fertile homestead eggs seem to store much better than washed, unfertile agribiz eggs. Why? Probably for the simple reason that they're unwashed ... and not because they're fertile. Hen fruit, as it comes from the chicken, is coated with a light layer of a natural sealing agent called "bloom". And, while a good wash may make a batch of eggs look more attractive, it also removes this natural protective coating ... leaving the eggs more subject to aging and attack by the air and bacteria in the air.

Ramble~On
12-10-2008, 21:30

:-? Great informative thread.

Now, back to the original post and question.

I carry mine inside an empty Pringles can packed with popcorn.
Yes, you can eat the popcorn too and it's light. ~ Works Great.

Instructions: Put some popcorn in can, add an egg. Place more popcorn around and over egg, add another egg ~ repeat process until you have filled container or have enough eggs for your week long hike in warm weather.

:D

Now, What came first ? Chicken or egg ?:cool:

weary
12-10-2008, 21:38
:-? Great informative thread.

Now, back to the original post and question.

Instructions: Put some popcorn in can, add an egg. Place more popcorn around and over egg, add another egg ~ repeat process until you have filled container or have enough eggs for your week long hike in warm weather.

A brilliant suggestion for using a pringle container -- the best I've seen since I met a flipflopper at the Pleasant Pond Mountain shelter in 1991, who kept a garter snake in his.

Weary

Bulldawg
12-10-2008, 23:22
Yes but that was the support for what Buldawg said - thank you for finding it.

[1] Unwashed, fertile homestead eggs seem to store much better than washed, unfertile agribiz eggs. Why? Probably for the simple reason that they're unwashed ... and not because they're fertile. Hen fruit, as it comes from the chicken, is coated with a light layer of a natural sealing agent called "bloom". And, while a good wash may make a batch of eggs look more attractive, it also removes this natural protective coating ... leaving the eggs more subject to aging and attack by the air and bacteria in the air.

Wow, didn't I say all this months ago on this thread?

Thanks Mark!

Bulldawg
12-10-2008, 23:24

Genius!! Great idea.

I haven't really carried eggs except on short hikes with enough eggs to cook the first morning. Not because I'm afraid of them ruining, but because I'm afraid of breaking them.

mkmangold
12-10-2008, 23:24
Wow, didn't I say all this months ago on this thread?

Thanks Mark!

Mike

Surplusman
03-21-2009, 18:18

Ed Garvey in his Appalachian Hiker books details keeping eggs fresh this way. Personally, I've never tried it, but he apparently had great success with it.

Bulldawg
03-21-2009, 18:22
Ed Garvey in his Appalachian Hiker books details keeping eggs fresh this way. Personally, I've never tried it, but he apparently had great success with it.

Yeah, it works pretty well.

hootyhoo
03-25-2009, 20:03
I agree with that. I used to trade trout from for fresh eggs. Those eggs were awsome - but the egg lady bitched too much about getting the cartons back and I got bored with it. But those were some good eggs. Bet she mises those trout as much as I miss her eggs.