PDA

View Full Version : Smartwool socks

generoll
05-04-2008, 16:16
This is probably a redundant thread, but it might of interest to some of you. I'd always pictured Smartwool as being some quaint little knitting mill nestled in a picturesque valley with lots of Merino sheep on the hillside. Wrong. Smartwool socks are made in Cleveland, TN at Charleston Hosiery. They have an outlet store which sells Smartwool socks for $3.00 a pair. It's whatever they happen to have at the time in overruns or discontinued styles or colors, but the price is right. They also have a pretty good selection of diabetic socks, whatever those are. Their hours are 8-3, Mon-Fri and it's basically cash and carry. You are limited to one dozen pair. Apparently some entrepeneurs had been buying socks and selling them on EBay. Smartwool put a stop to that, but if you're in the area it's worth a trip if you like Smartwool socks.

Cuffs
05-04-2008, 16:19
Great Gene, give away allllll the secrets!

generoll
05-04-2008, 16:22
oops. Well, how many people even know where Cleveland, TN is?

mudhead
05-04-2008, 16:25
2nds or overruns nasty colors?

Who is going anytime soon and wants to be my hero?

Rain Man
05-04-2008, 16:28
Is this the place? I looked it up to MapQuest it, so I'd know where to go.

Thanks for the info on the outlet store. Sounds good! The next time I'm down that way, I'll look it up for sure.

Renfro Charleston Hoseiry
855 Raider Dr NW
Cleveland, TN , 37312-3725
Phone: 423-472-5095
FAX: 423-479-5522

I couldn't get that web site to load so far, so can't confirm anything.

Rain:sunMan

generoll
05-04-2008, 16:50
nope. Take exit 27 off I-75 and go about 4 miles or so and about that many lights to Michigan Av. There's an Italian restaurant katty corner. Turn left and go about 1 mile. It's a big steel building and the outlet store is on the left front corner. I can drive there, just not real sure about giving directions. I believe the web directions are either for the corporate offices or another mill.

generoll
05-04-2008, 16:51
2nds or overruns nasty colors?

Who is going anytime soon and wants to be my hero?

2nds if you can find them go for $1.50 a pair.

mudhead
05-04-2008, 17:11
1st quality for $3.00. I am jealous.

If anyone goes, let me know. I could use some.

88BlueGT
05-04-2008, 18:44
LoL me too! I'll even throw in some cash extra cash :)

Skidsteer
05-04-2008, 18:48

I do and you can bet I'll make it a point to stop by and buy socks the next time I'm through there. Thanks for the tip, Gene.

TOW
05-04-2008, 19:37
I have some Snapon Merino wools I will be selling in front of my house during TD's for $6.00 a pair.

Cuffs
05-04-2008, 20:14
I didnt make it during the right hours when I went thru there last week, but I could care less what color they are... they are on my feet and in my boots, who cares!

KnowledgeEngine
05-04-2008, 21:26
I Use Injinji (http://www.injinji.com/) socks. They are japaneese, and come in nuWool or Performax. I like them because they are toe socks, and prevent me from getting blisters between my toes.

Trillium
05-05-2008, 00:34
I love smartwool socks! I've bought some off steep and cheap; however, when I ordered my convertible pants and some Wright socks from REI, they sent 2 pair of free snowboarder smartwool socks as well! awesome for winter!

I'll be stopping at the Outlet store the next time I'm down that way as well.
Thanks Gene!

generoll
09-05-2008, 20:11
if any of you are headed to the GAF at the NOC, the hours at the outlet store are 8-3 EDT and they will most definitely be closed at 3:01pm.

JumpInTheLake
09-05-2008, 20:52

I do, I live in Chattanooga, and I drive through there to go camping at Greasy Creek and Chilhowie with the kids.

Thanks for the tip!

ChinMusic
09-05-2008, 21:02
Smartwool Adrenalines are pretty much all I wear on, AND OFF, the trail.

mkmangold
09-06-2008, 17:06
I do, and I'm a Yankee. Drove through on our way to Georgia. If I had known about the socks I would definitely have stopped. Love them!

adventurousmtnlvr
09-06-2008, 17:47
oh sure now you tell me after I spent $40 on 2 pair yesterday, lol. But wow is that close to us huh Gene!!!! Thanks ... I'm definitely going there!!!! only about 18 miles for me :)

Trillium
09-06-2008, 18:18
I do, I do, I do. We've stayed or eaten there several times on the way to/from Florida.

generoll
09-06-2008, 20:25
sorry about that Cathy. one of those woulda, shoulda, coulda moments I guess. Had I known.................

Jason of the Woods
09-06-2008, 20:34
I Use Injinji (http://www.injinji.com/) socks. They are japaneese, and come in nuWool or Performax. I like them because they are toe socks, and prevent me from getting blisters between my toes.
I have the toe socks for camp on chilly eves. In my humble opinion you can't beat Smart Wool!

adventurousmtnlvr
09-06-2008, 22:34
sorry about that Cathy. one of those woulda, shoulda, coulda moments I guess. Had I known.................lol, we still love you for finally mentioning it :) ... great info thanks :) I never would have found that otherwise, lol. and now we know ...

wanashunkaha
09-07-2008, 09:46
Doesn't the AT go right by that store? :confused:

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :rolleyes:

Wags
09-07-2008, 09:57
jason wouldn't toe socks be colder than normal socks? same principle as gloves - more surface area exposed

Happy Feet
09-07-2008, 10:21
I work just up the road (a mile or so?) and our UPS driver told me about this place. I plan to run up there and check it out. If possible, I'll buy as many as I can and bring them to the Gathering in a few weeks. I'm guessing that Medium and Large would be the most in demand? I've heard their selection is limited to what they happen to have at the outlet at the time, so no promises...

weary
09-07-2008, 11:05
In the interest of full disclosure, another popular hiking sock, Thorlos, are made in Statesville, NC. The factory store is located in a shopping mall just off a four lane express road. (I-80 or I-81. I forget which.)

I've used both SmartWool and Thorlos and prefer the latter, though lately I've been wearing mostly Smartwool because they are sold nearby. The nearest Thorlo store is a 70 mile round trip away.

Weary

papa john
09-07-2008, 13:09
In the interest of full disclosure, another popular hiking sock, Thorlos, are made in Statesville, NC. The factory store is located in a shopping mall just off a four lane express road. (I-80 or I-81. I forget which.)

I've used both SmartWool and Thorlos and prefer the latter, though lately I've been wearing mostly Smartwool because they are sold nearby. The nearest Thorlo store is a 70 mile round trip away.

Weary

Exit 49B off I77. Go east to Folger Dr. and then north.

1525 Cinema Dr. #b
Statesville, NC 28625
704-873-8243

weary
09-07-2008, 15:00
Exit 49B off I77. Go east to Folger Dr. and then north.

1525 Cinema Dr. #b
Statesville, NC 28625
704-873-8243
Thanks for the correction. We used to drive south a couple of times a year when my wife's parents lived in Salisbury, NC. Both died a decade ago, so we rarely have an excuse to make the trip anymore.

My wife occasionally suggests another trip south. But with $4 gas, we'd have to clean out the factory store to make a profit.

Weary

generoll
09-07-2008, 18:49
I might have already mentioned this, but let me repeat. Smartwool threatened to take their contract away from Charleston Hosiery if they didn't restrict their sales. Seems some folks were buying Smartwools at the outlet and then reselling them on EBay. So, you are now limited to 12 pair and will be requested to sign a book with your name when you purchase Smartwool socks. The socks are marked with a stencil saying "not for resale" on the arch. I still consider this a good deal for hikers needing socks, but if you're looking to make a buck this might not be your best option. You buy what they happen to have in stock at the moment as overruns or discontinued colors etc. If you don't like the selection then have a nice day. (NY for FU) They also have some other proprietary socks such as John Deere and what they term diabetic socks. This is a true factory outlet and most of the building is taken up by the warehouse. The staff are friendly and courteous and truly don't give a **** if you don't like the selection.

Reid
08-26-2009, 23:29
Anybody going thru that are and wants to pick me up some I'll reimburse you greatly. Will buy yours and shipping to me and whatever else youd like monatary wise. Nothing outrageous just really wanting to buy a bunch of them and get a good deal.

JoshStover
08-26-2009, 23:45
I work just up the road (a mile or so?) and our UPS driver told me about this place. I plan to run up there and check it out. If possible, I'll buy as many as I can and bring them to the Gathering in a few weeks. I'm guessing that Medium and Large would be the most in demand? I've heard their selection is limited to what they happen to have at the outlet at the time, so no promises...

Happy Feet, I will be at the Gathering for sure and I would LOVE to get as many pairs of these socks as possible. I will pay you $6.00 a pair and give you $20 for picking them up for me. If you can't do it I totally understand but if you can you will be my hero and I will be in debt to you for the rest of my time here on Earth...

Reid
08-26-2009, 23:52
I'm trying to get talk to that UPS drive. I am a hub supervisor.

brooklynkayak
08-26-2009, 23:59
How could any socks made down south be any good?
I'm a yankee and thought that all the good socks came from up north:-)

Anyway, I can't make it down there, so I have to settle on the occasional internet sale.
I saw em for less than $10 on Sierra whatever and bought 15 pair cuz I love em so much.

Marino wool is the ***** when it comes to socks, at least for me anyway

Dogwood
08-27-2009, 00:06
I can picture it now. A small bus pulls up outside the Smartwool Outlet in Cleveland TN. AT hikers shuffle into the place and each mosey right on out with a dozen pairs each of Smartwool socks. The bus with many smiling faces heads out of town to the nearest trail to test their new firesale priced socks.