PDA

View Full Version : PA- High Point

jgeise01
05-04-2008, 18:39
Hey all,

I'm a graduating college senior (from Villanova) and just finished up my finals. I am planning on heading out for just a bit of camping while everyone else finishes up with theirs. I spent a week on the trail this summer and am looking for a place on the trail in Pennsylvania with some altitude where I might be able to get some good sunrise or sunset pictures. I plan on writing poems for some close friends and including them with these pictures. Any advice you would have as to where I might find a great view would be greatly appreciated. Something in the Poconos where I could camp would be ideal! Thanks again for the help!

Julien

Pootz
05-04-2008, 20:32
This is not the answer you are looking for but good trivia. The PA High Point is Mt. Davis, around 3200 feet. Not sure of the hiking in that area.

ki0eh
05-05-2008, 07:49
Try Indian Wells Overlook on the PA Mid State Trail just south of State College. It's in State Forest - camp right near there. http://www.pahikes.com/trails/midstateSC_overview.asp

Wags
05-06-2008, 01:34
rickett's glen

kayak karl
05-06-2008, 06:51
Hey all,

I'm a graduating college senior (from Villanova) and just finished up my finals. I am planning on heading out for just a bit of camping while everyone else finishes up with theirs. I spent a week on the trail this summer and am looking for a place on the trail in Pennsylvania with some altitude where I might be able to get some good sunrise or sunset pictures. I plan on writing poems for some close friends and including them with these pictures. Any advice you would have as to where I might find a great view would be greatly appreciated. Something in the Poconos where I could camp would be ideal! Thanks again for the help!

Julien

Mt Tamanny, NJ or Mt. Minnci, Pa both at the Delaware Water Gap. You could camp at Worthington St Forest campground, if they didnt close it yet:mad:

My favorite is Pinnacle Peak, Hamburg Pennsylvania (270 degree view)

sly dog
05-06-2008, 09:39
rickett's glen

I am not too sure there are mountain top vistas, lots of waterfalls but not really great views......I could be wrong cuz i havent been there in over a decade.

Green Bean
05-06-2008, 10:26
the pinnacle is nice

Time To Fly 97
05-06-2008, 15:15
Pinnacle is beautiful and cool cave underneath. Blue Rocks Campground is a 1100' below Pinnacle - good campground (tent sites with trees, small store, yes - RVs too). Hawk Mountain is nearby a little off the AT (kinda commercial, but lot of info on raptor scoping.) Mount Minsi and Tamany have great overlooks (opposite sides of Delaware Water Gap with a town and Route 80 bridge in between). Pretty rocky terrain - bring good boots.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Jim Adams
05-06-2008, 16:15
This is not the answer you are looking for but good trivia. The PA High Point is Mt. Davis, around 3200 feet. Not sure of the hiking in that area.
Mt. Davis has some short hiking trails around it but not alot. It is covered with growth but you do have a good view if you climb the observation tower.
The Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail is only about 10 miles away and basically runs the ridge with abundant good views.
If you are just driving to a site near where you will backpack check out Sugarloaf Mt. / Fire Tower Rd. just outside of Ohiopyle,Pa. It is only about 15 miles in a straight line from Mt. Davis and is only a few feet lower but far better view.:sun

geek

X-LinkedHiker
08-19-2008, 22:53
I was always a fan of the Blue Mountain Section as well. Bake Oven knob, Bear Rocks, Nice Edge, etc.. 5 great vistas all within a days hike.