PDA

View Full Version : Days between resupply points?

SkunkleberryFinn
02-05-2004, 18:20
I was just wondering how many days on average are there between resupply points? Just planning my food and water things and wondering what a good amount to take would be?

Kerosene
02-05-2004, 19:13
Skunk: Check out Baltimore Jack's Resupply Advice article here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/articlesresupply.php), as well as the recent related thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3528) on the same topic.

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2004, 22:13
I'll be updating this article shortly, with changes from last year. I'm waiting to see the 2004 Thru-Hiker's Companion and Handbook first, which I've ordered, so I can check these out before I finish my new article. In any case, the 2004 article will be published here as soon as I'm done with it, hopefully within 2 weeks. This year, I'm also planning to add information on mileage/number of days between towns and resupply points as I think some folks will find this info useful for their planning. In the meantime, the info in the 2003 Article is still pretty much accurate, except for a few hostels (Gorham, etc.) that might not be open for hikers this year.

screwysquirrel
02-06-2004, 00:22
Got you give a good hand on your article there Jack, I used it last year and it came in very handy. It's really good of you to do this. :clap

Peaks
02-06-2004, 09:37
I was just wondering how many days on average are there between resupply points? Just planning my food and water things and wondering what a good amount to take would be?

Without going into specifics, the average is probably about 3 to 4 days. However, this all depends on the availablity of trail towns. Some times, you can hit them every day easily. Sometimes, you go a week between trail towns. How often you resupply also depends on how far off the trail, and how often you want to resupply. There are those who hitch into a town from almost every road crossing, which means that they resupply almost every day in some sections, and every other day in other sections.

But, in order to plan your hike, you need to do is to get into the details. To help with this, look for Baltimore Jacks suggestions, and use the ALDHA Companion or Wingfoot's Handbook.

SkunkleberryFinn
02-06-2004, 13:24
Thanks a lot. I the parts i have sectioned hiked follow through with the 3-4 days thing and I was just wondering if that held true for other parts of the trail..

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Skunkleberry Finn

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2004, 17:11
Skunk--

I think you'll discover that there are very few places on the AT where you'll need to carry more than 5 days worth of food, unless you CHOOSE to do so. In the vast majority of cases, you'll be carrying 2-5, as you'll discover that your re-supply options are very extensive. As others have suggested, you might want to get your hands on the 2004 edition of the Thru-Hikers Companion or the Thru-Hikers Handbook, both of which provide detailed information on re-supply options. (You can order the Companion at www.atconf.org; the address for the Handbook is www.trailplace.com). The 2003 edition of the Companion can be examined for free on-line at www.aldha.org if you want an idea of what this book looks like.