PDA

View Full Version : North or south?

brickwoodjr
05-04-2008, 21:14
Im new to this site, just found it a couple days ago actualy, but have already developed an obsession with hiking the AT. I am in the military so it would be impossible for me to do a thru hike, so my plan is to start at harpers ferry and go for a walk for about 4 weeks. My question is, north or south, which is better?

vonfrick
05-04-2008, 22:18
depends on when you're starting, and your personal proclivities

Gray Blazer
05-04-2008, 22:24
We want you carpetbaggers to come on south. Ya hear?

boarstone
05-05-2008, 09:04
Welcome! :welcome

minnesotasmith
05-05-2008, 09:13
Welcome! :welcome

NOBO generally makes more sense IMO for anyone not BOTH a very experienced backpacker and in very good hiking shape. Many thruhikers that successfully hike NOBO would have been driven off the trail before finishing a single state, had they attempted starting in Northern Maine.

jersey joe
05-05-2008, 09:54
South would be my choice.

Lyle
05-05-2008, 10:00
Starting from Harpers Ferry, four weeks southbound will get you into some pretty nice country. Though many folks don't think highly of hiking in SNP, It is an area I have returned to several times, in various seasons. I find it a very enjoyable, relaxing hike. Plus, averaging just 100 miles per week (very doable for someone your age, in shape), you could make the Perisburg area if you wanted, thus hitting Tye River, Priest, etc. Some VERY NICE areas.

Heading north from Harpers Ferry will get you up into PA/NJ/NY, nice, but not as impressive as heading south (sorry MD, PA, NJ and NY folks - just a fact).

minnesotasmith
05-05-2008, 10:06
Didn't read the "starting from Harper's Ferry" part.

Sure, going south from there is a nice hike. Get the Shenandoah to break in easily, and NO E. PA rocks to make you hate the AT.

Lone Wolf
05-05-2008, 10:11
Im new to this site, just found it a couple days ago actualy, but have already developed an obsession with hiking the AT. I am in the military so it would be impossible for me to do a thru hike, so my plan is to start at harpers ferry and go for a walk for about 4 weeks. My question is, north or south, which is better?

south for sure

brickwoodjr
05-05-2008, 12:08
Looks like im headin south, thats kinda what i was leaning towards anyway. Plus i probably wont be able to do this until the fall so going north during that time of year would make me hate life. Thanks for all the advice.

Lyle
05-05-2008, 12:37
Be prepared for winter weather if you're going in late fall. One of the worst blizzards I've been out in was in SNP in November.

brickwoodjr
05-05-2008, 21:37
Starting from Harpers Ferry, four weeks southbound will get you into some pretty nice country. Though many folks don't think highly of hiking in SNP, It is an area I have returned to several times, in various seasons. I find it a very enjoyable, relaxing hike. Plus, averaging just 100 miles per week (very doable for someone your age, in shape), you could make the Perisburg area if you wanted, thus hitting Tye River, Priest, etc. Some VERY NICE areas.

Heading north from Harpers Ferry will get you up into PA/NJ/NY, nice, but not as impressive as heading south (sorry MD, PA, NJ and NY folks - just a fact).
Just for ****s and giggles, where is Perisburg at? I tried mapquesting it to no luck.

Lone Wolf
05-05-2008, 21:54
pEARisburg, Va. is in southwest virginia

Datto
05-05-2008, 22:06
go for a walk for about 4 weeks. My question is, north or south, which is better?

If, instead, you started south from US 30 near Gettysburg you'll be able to visit the Gettysburg battlefield and the Antietum battlefield. Both are a few miles off-trail from the Appalachian Trail. Those might make for interesting sidetrips for someone in the military. At Harper's Ferry you could take the train into Washington DC and back to Harper's Ferry if you haven't already seen the Nation's Capital. As I remember, the train drops you off just behind the Capital Building which is a great spot to start a visit of Washington, DC. The Smithsonian isn't too far from the Capital Building.

With that itinery the ending spot of your four-week hike would likely be at about Wanesboro, VA just on the south side of Shenandoah National Park, prior to starting into the more difficult terrain south of Waynesboro.

Those areas of the AT would behold spectacular autumn colors and mild temperatures depending upon when your started your trip.

Datto

George
05-05-2008, 22:27
I did that section in Jan this year. Harpers ferry to Pearisburg about 27 days,fall before the vendors in the park close would be a great time for it. Start out with nice trail and services finish with a more remote area, any ? feel free to contact me