PDA

View Full Version : Adding a handle to the old grease pot

hiker5
02-05-2004, 19:41
Has anyone successfully added a handle to a Walmart grease pot? My attempt at adding a wire handle (much like a bucket handle) had limited success. Thanks for your suggestions!!

I know I can simply pick up the pot with a bandana, towel, etc., but I think if i have a reasonably good handle I'll be much less likely to dumpt a pot of boiling water (or worse yet, my dinner!)

papa john
02-05-2004, 20:58
I've never tried this but it might get you going. How about using a pop rivet tool to attach some type of aluminum handle to the pot?

Or maybe even a plate where you could then hook a folding wire handle?

jlb2012
02-05-2004, 22:00
once I figured out the technique of picking the grease pot up with a bandanna I never felt in danger of dropping the pot - make an inch wide strap out of the folded bandana and pick the pot up with the two index fingers and two thumbs pressing the strap against the pot

bluelight
02-05-2004, 23:58
Why add a handle to your pot. It would just stick out and get in the way. Buy a lightweight pot gripper and you will not have to worry about spilling the contents of the pot. They only weigh an oz. or so.

hiker5
02-06-2004, 02:39
A pop rivet gun would make it easy to attach some sort of handle (perhaps even one that could be folded flush to the sides of the pot), but I would be concerned about creating leaks in the sides. I'm not sure how well the rivets actually seal. I suppose you could simply keep the rivet placement near the top of the pot, but that would likely depend on the design of the handle.

I do realize that the whole handle idea may be unnecessary, but it seemed like it could be quite convenient as long as it does not stick out and get in the way as bluelight pointed out.

Thanks for the replies!

papa john
02-06-2004, 09:18
I thought about that as well. But if you kept the rivets up high and maybe used JBweld to help seal the holes maybe? I haven't tried this at all. I don't want to sacrifice my greasepot!