PDA

View Full Version : McAffee Knob sign missing.

Freeze
05-05-2008, 11:27
The sign at McAfee knob is missing. It looks like someone took it as a souvenir.

When you get to the top, you can still see the 4x4 chained to the pine tree (with lots of bark missing where the chain is). Please pass the word along to make a left turn there. I've gotten report that a lot of thru-hikers are missing the knob, and continue straight, thinking that the northern slab (facing the Roanoke airport) is the knob.

It's a shame to hike all that way and miss the knob.

Please pass the word along to all thru-hikers you see South of McAffe knob.

alauver
05-05-2008, 22:27
i noticed that too..i was there three weeks ago and noticed that..two days after hiking back to 311, i noticed someone had taken large rocks out of the path then dropped them another 50 feet down the trail..i counted about 5 rocks that were taken up and left a huge hole in the trail, another few hundred yards it looked like the also snapped a live tree that was right on the trail..me and a friend were pretty pissed although never found the person(s) in the parking lot

Freeze
05-07-2008, 09:30
I hiked up there yesterday after work and put up a temp sign. I also reported it to the Roanoke Appalachian Trail Club. I hope they replace the sight soon.

It's a shame. I think i have a photo of the old sign. I'll upload it if i find it. Looks like an old sign too.

Lilred
05-07-2008, 11:43
Thanks freeze. I'll be hiking there in a few weeks and I appreciate the heads up.

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 11:48
The section between Dragon Tooth and McAffee knob was the most populated section of my entire hike. The day I climbed McAffee knob I saw people camping where they were not supposed to, people leaving piles of trash and gear less than a mile from the road. It doesn't surprise me some of these same people took the sign - probably burned it for heat.

emerald
05-07-2008, 13:23
Don't some of these people realize more than just a few hikers these days are packing HEET?

Fat Man Walking
05-10-2008, 18:36
It would probably be a great service (and they may have already done this) to mark the trail at Dragon's Tooth as well.

A couple of years ago, when I went through there, I mistook what I was told was the Old AT for the AT and never actually passed by DT. And, at the point that I discovered that I had made a wrong turn, there was no way I was going to go back up to get to the trail. Late in the day after a very long day.

All turned out OK but, there is a hole in my section hikes now that I regret. Good news is that it will be there and maybe one day I can go back but for now, I'm headed North.

Freeze
05-11-2008, 10:30
I think they put up a laminated sign pointing the way at Dragon's tooth. Not a permanent one though. I hiked back up to McAfee Nnob yesterday, and my temp sign is still up. No sign replacement yesterday.

I suspect Virginia Tech students took the sign. Bunch of idiots. I caught one yesterday rolling big rocks down the mountain yesterday.

Freeze
05-11-2008, 10:33
I think I wrote "yesterday" way to many times there. Sorry. That's what happens when you try to do 3 things at a time. Where's the edit button anyhow?

Mocs123
05-12-2008, 11:26
It was still there when I did that section in mid April.

Hikerhead
07-06-2008, 12:50
The sign is back.

ed bell
07-06-2008, 13:00
Looks like the tree is being asked to do a job it probably could do without. That protects the signboard?:-?

Cherokee Bill
07-06-2008, 16:23
;) Sign was still there on Jul 2. The folks that are ruining it for everyone else need to remember "What goes around, comes around" ;) They will get their's.

Thanks for keeping an eye on such a treasure as the Knob :sun

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2008, 18:10
The sign is back.
How'd the tree get girdled? Can't see a chain doing that without some help.

Hikerhead
07-06-2008, 20:59
It looks like someone tried again to take the sign. Just a matter of time before it's gone.

Dholmblad
07-07-2008, 09:37
It was there in late may.

Cherokee Bill
07-07-2008, 16:14
:-? Last day off of our yearly plant closing for maintenance. So I drove the 60-miles and hiked up to the Knob :D The sign is still there ;)

The next person taking the sign should be shot :banana