PDA

View Full Version : TRAIL SIGNS - What happens to them?

RITBlake
05-05-2008, 13:54
What happens to trail intersection signs when they are retired/replaced due to routing/distance corrections or weathering?

I imagine they go to the outing club who maintains that area. But are these ever sold or auctioned off.

I ask because I'd like to get my hands on one.

http://www.maine2georgia.com/Connecticut/slides/158.JPG

Mags
05-05-2008, 13:57
I know the AMC, in the past, auctioned off old signs.
http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/auction/index.cfm

Looks like the RMC, a smaller group, does the same as well.
http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/newsletters/winter2006-2007/article2.html

For other smaller groups, who knows. You may want to contact the trail club directly and see. There is a good chance they do something similar.

max patch
05-05-2008, 15:09
The AMC gets insane prices when they auction off old signs.

Five years or so ago I asked the GATC what they do with old signs and suggested an auction. I was told they didn't do anything special with them and that they probably just "ended up in the firewood pile."

I don't believe that, but thats what they said.

Dances with Mice
05-05-2008, 15:37
The AMC gets insane prices when they auction off old signs.

Five years or so ago I asked the GATC what they do with old signs and suggested an auction. I was told they didn't do anything special with them and that they probably just "ended up in the firewood pile."

I don't believe that, but thats what they said.Likely true. From the look of some signs still in use, if GATC replaces a sign then it really, really needed replacing.

But anybody with a router and a stick of lumber can their own copy and put their own bullet holes into it too.

RITBlake
05-05-2008, 15:40
Likely true. From the look of some signs still in use, if GATC replaces a sign then it really, really needed replacing.

But anybody with a router and a stick of lumber can their own copy and put their own bullet holes into it too.

True, but anybody can sew a number on to a shirt and call it an authentic baseball jersey. But its obvious that it's not.

Well if anyone hears of any signs up for grabs, or sign auction, please let me know.

Thanks

Dances with Mice
05-05-2008, 15:51
Well if anyone hears of any signs up for grabs, or sign auction, please let me know.Cool. Which ones would you like and how much are you willing to pay?

I'll even throw in a certificate of authentication that it's really a sign.

RITBlake
05-05-2008, 16:03
I'll even throw in a certificate of authentication that it's really a sign.

Thanks for being so helpful. :rolleyes:

Mags
05-05-2008, 16:14
I honestly think your best is just calling up the trail org. If it is a small group, some lucky volunteers probably end up with it. If you have a specific sign in mind, this route will esp. be useful.

Myself? I'm a cheap bastard and would rather just go to a wood shop and make my own sign. :)

RITBlake
05-05-2008, 16:15
There is a specific on in mind yes. In NY. It has a special meaning to me. I will call. Once again, thanks Mags

The Old Fhart
05-05-2008, 16:43
I did find a reference that said: "Weather-worn AMC trail signs were sold at eBay auction December, 2007 for $170 to $630 each."

Mags
05-05-2008, 17:09
I did find a reference that said: "Weather-worn AMC trail signs were sold at eBay auction December, 2007 for $170 to $630 each."

Considering how iconic some of those signs are, to a collector that ain't too bad a price.

RITBlake
05-05-2008, 17:12
Considering how iconic some of those signs are, to a collector that ain't too bad a price.

Wonder what the Katahdin sign might get on ebay if the auction was publicized amongst the AT community.

Mags
05-05-2008, 17:27
Wonder what the Katahdin sign might get on ebay if the auction was publicized amongst the AT community.

More money than I can afford. :O

emerald
05-05-2008, 17:48
What happens to trail intersection signs when they are retired/replaced due to routing/distance corrections or weathering?

I imagine they go to the outing club who maintains that area. But are these ever sold or auctioned off.

I ask because I'd like to get my hands on one.

http://www.maine2georgia.com/Connecticut/slides/158.JPG

I've often thought someone could make a few bucks by producing facsimiles. There should be no need to steal signs to have one to display.

The way to make that problem go away is to encourage people to buy them at a fair price. People who want AT signs might get even more out of it by learning how to make a sign and create it themselves.

A skilled sign maker may post or PM and offer to make you that sign or whatever else you or someone else may want. Others should be encouraged to post their requests too.

I have a few which were given to me by individuals authorized to make those decisions and I like displaying them.

Mags
05-05-2008, 17:57
http://www.trailsigns.net/proddetail_custS.php (http://trailsigns.net/)

Not quite what you suggest, but close.

RITBlake
05-05-2008, 23:43
I've often thought someone could make a few bucks by producing facsimiles. There should be no need to steal signs to have one to display.

The way to make that problem go away is to encourage people to buy them at a fair price. People who want AT signs might get even more out of it by learning how to make a sign and create it themselves.

A skilled sign maker may post or PM and offer to make you that sign or whatever else you or someone else may want. Others should be encouraged to post their requests too.

I have a few which were given to me by someone who was authorized to make that decision and I like displaying them.

Hmm good advice. The one I would really like to get is the large sign outside RPH Shelter. This might be corny to some, but I'd like to get a 'real' worn AT sign them something made brand new and shipped off to me. Feels more authentic I guess.

If anyone can help let me know. Happy to pay good $ for something cool

DiamondDoug
05-06-2008, 11:40
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=181&c=515

If you ask the right people, they give you the sign. Sometimes you have to be persistent.

Tennessee Viking
05-06-2008, 14:28
With my club, usually the maintainer of that particular section gets a keep sake. Others will go ATC museum

max patch
05-06-2008, 14:55
This might be corny to some, but I'd like to get a 'real' worn AT sign them something made brand new and shipped off to me. Feels more authentic I guess.

I understand exactly what you mean.

I'd love to have a "real" sign that was being replaced and would make a large contribution to obtain one. I wouldn't want a "fake" sign somebody made no matter how cheap it was.

gearfreak
05-06-2008, 15:25
At Plum Orchard Gap a couple of weeks ago I noticed the sign, like many in Georgia had been replaced. Just steps to the west near the side trail leading to the spring laid the old sign. Three pieces on the post, "Plum Orchard Gap, Elev 3050", "Shelter -->" and "<-- Water". Nice and weathered. I didn't feel it was my place to help myself to any portion of it. :cool:

RITBlake
05-06-2008, 15:30
I understand exactly what you mean.

I'd love to have a "real" sign that was being replaced and would make a large contribution to obtain one. I wouldn't want a "fake" sign somebody made no matter how cheap it was.

My thoughts exactly.

RITBlake
05-06-2008, 15:30
So if any trail crew heads are reading this, PM me, I'd be happy to make a nice contribution to your organization for a good trail sign.

emerald
05-06-2008, 15:31
How much would you donate for a trail head sign?

RITBlake
05-06-2008, 15:33
How much would you donate for for a trail head sign?

It would depend on the sign and the condition, as far as the donation, I'd prefer to discuss that privately

ki0eh
05-06-2008, 15:33
On PA Mid State Trail the old legend gets painted over and new legend routed on the back.

There are a few steps taken to enhance vandal resistivity as well. Once a wood post MST sign got chain sawed off at the base. Its replacement post looked exactly the same. However a hole was drilled down the axis of the post, a #4 rebar was inserted, and the resulting hole on top filled with putty before the post was painted and placed. That sign's still there, last I saw...

weary
05-06-2008, 16:17
MATC tries to destroy their old signs. They say that to sell them would create a market that would encourage the theft of working signs. I've burned quite a few in my wood stove over the years, though in the interest of full disclosure, I must say one that marked the trail I maintained for a quarter century hangs on the wall above my computer.

Thanks for reminding me. I must tell my wife and kids to be sure to burn it, when I'm gone.

Weary

RITBlake
05-06-2008, 16:23
Thanks for reminding me. I must tell my wife and kids to be sure to burn it, when I'm gone.

Weary

Really? We're not talking about the holy grail here. You wouldn't want someone else to enjoy it as you did?

RITBlake
05-09-2008, 12:11
one final bump.

weary
05-09-2008, 14:29
For those who may want to make their own, the trick is to print the sign in large type on your computer, glue it lightly to a piece of wood with some easily removed spray on glue, and rout through the paper into the wood. Then wash off the paper and glue

I've never made an Maine AT sign, but this is how the our sign maker says he does it for MATC.

I use his technique for the trails on our town land trust lands. AMC gets big bucks for it's used signs and some, maybe most, are not even routed. Just painted. The paint protects the wood from decay, so the letters end up being raised above the surface of the wood, rather than recessed.

Weary

RITBlake
06-15-2010, 21:54
Just checking back on this... would LOVE to get my hands on a trail sign and happy to make a nice donation to get it!

Graywolf
06-15-2010, 23:55
Just a suggestion,

Ifyou want to help one of the section clubs, if you know of a sign that needs to be replaced, instead of waiting, go home, make a new sign, take the old one down and replace it your self. You get an old sign, the section club gets a new sign. Sounds like a fair trade to me..

Just a suggestion

Graywolf

RITBlake
06-16-2010, 13:57
Just a suggestion,

Ifyou want to help one of the section clubs, if you know of a sign that needs to be replaced, instead of waiting, go home, make a new sign, take the old one down and replace it your self. You get an old sign, the section club gets a new sign. Sounds like a fair trade to me..

Just a suggestion

Graywolf

I'd be very keen on this except I live in an apartment building in White Plains and have neither the knowledge or the tools to make a train sign. Anyone want to help?

max patch
06-16-2010, 14:02
Just a suggestion,

Just a suggestion

Graywolf

Thats a horrible idea; you can't just tear down and steal a sign just because you want it even if you replace it.

weary
06-16-2010, 17:47
The policy of MATC is to destroy the signs that are replaced by new versions. Our argument is that we don't want signs to be items for collectors and thus encourage theft.

When I was overseer of 60 miles of the "100-mile-wilderness" I burned a few signs and have one or two kicking around still waiting for the energy to saw them up and split them into kindling for my 1918 kitchen range.

I suppose I should confess to having one old MATC sign hanging on my wall. It has directions for reaching the trail I maintained for 30 years or so. I've told my kids to be sure to burn it once I'm gone. I think of it as slightly delayed destruction.

Weary

Speer Carrier
06-16-2010, 21:21
The GATC auctioned off about 10 old signs at the last annual meeting. I think the top bids for each sign was about $30.00.

max patch
06-16-2010, 21:32
The GATC auctioned off about 10 old signs at the last annual meeting. I think the top bids for each sign was about $30.00.

If you want to keep the signs within the GATC membership thats fine, but if the objective is to raise money you would have taken in much much more if this auction had been publicized.

Cabin Fever
06-16-2010, 22:13
With my club, usually the maintainer of that particular section gets a keep sake. Others will go ATC museum

I refurbished a hug old Iron Mountain Gap sign that is now in the AT Museum in Pennsylvania. I do have a couple of keepsakes of my own though. Prizes for being a maintainer.

Graywolf
06-16-2010, 22:14
Thats a horrible idea; you can't just tear down and steal a sign just because you want it even if you replace it.

It aint stealing, its called giving back...Or hepling out, or Giving a hand, or, well, you get the picture..

Ok everyone, not a good idea. Dont give any help. I thought it was a good idea though...

Graywolf

max patch
06-17-2010, 09:59
It aint stealing, its called giving back...Or hepling out, or Giving a hand, or, well, you get the picture..

Ok everyone, not a good idea. Dont give any help. I thought it was a good idea though...

Graywolf

I'm sure you mean well, but if you think about it for a minute you'll see thats its not a good idea at all.

RITBlake
06-17-2010, 14:13
I never thought paying for a marked up, weather beaten piece of wood could possibly be this difficult. Why won't anyone take my money??

weary
06-17-2010, 14:34
I never thought paying for a marked up, weather beaten piece of wood could possibly be this difficult. Why won't anyone take my money??
I've told you why the Maine Appalachian Trail Club won't. Long ago, club leaders worried that selling old signs would create a market for "marked up, weather beaten piece(s) of wood" and lead to thefts of good signs.

Since making signs is a labor intensive, and expensive process, we decided not to sell them. I don't necessarily defend our policy, but that is what the policy is.

AMC has a different policy. They sell their signs by public auction. But AMC signs are less complex than MATC signs. AMC signs are mostly just letters painted on a board. MATC signs are routed into a plank and given four coats of paint.

Weary

RITBlake
06-17-2010, 15:09
Thank you for explaining your point of view.....again. You've made it very clear. I will continue the search.

I've told you why the Maine Appalachian Trail Club won't. Long ago, club leaders worried that selling old signs would create a market for "marked up, weather beaten piece(s) of wood" and lead to thefts of good signs.

Since making signs is a labor intensive, and expensive process, we decided not to sell them. I don't necessarily defend our policy, but that is what the policy is.

AMC has a different policy. They sell their signs by public auction. But AMC signs are less complex than MATC signs. AMC signs are mostly just letters painted on a board. MATC signs are routed into a plank and given four coats of paint.

Weary

Alligator
06-17-2010, 15:14
Maybe try contacting a couple of clubs? Clubs that don't destroy them might be inclined to replace an old sign knowing they have a willing buyer.

Alligator
06-17-2010, 15:16
Or perhaps if they are auctioned they would let you know when they do so.

Speer Carrier
06-17-2010, 17:08
If you want to keep the signs within the GATC membership thats fine, but if the objective is to raise money you would have taken in much much more if this auction had been publicized.

As I recall, the signs were auctioned along with gear that was found at shelters by the ridge runner. It was all silent auction with the best bid at cut off getting the item. I don't believe the club had or has any interest in using the signs as a big money maker. It was more of just a fun thing to at a meeting that can be pretty dry with all the various committees reporting on the year's activities.

And yes, many if not most overseers probably have a least one souvenir sign from their sections.

Mother Natures Son
06-18-2010, 19:41
This tread reminds me about a guy on one of the lists who was selling AT signs for a large sum of money. The only problem is, they were never "real" AT signs. He made them all up in his workshop. Fooled a lot of folks, untill he got a nasty letter from lawer telling him to stop making them or else! I would hate to be the one who bought one of his signs only to find out it wasn't the real thing.

RITBlake
01-11-2014, 23:19
I started this thread roughly 5 years ago. My quest for a real, authentic AT trail sign continues. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great (sign pun).

Son Driven
01-11-2014, 23:22
Yes, the AMC knows how to tap into the New England cake eaters.

Slo-go'en
01-12-2014, 00:35
The Randolph Mountain club has a yearly auction of retired trail signs, which just ended around Christmas. They brought in a surpisingly large amount of money. These are mostly of value to people who live in town or spend a lot of time hiking in this area. Signs which have been weathered above tree line are especially sought after. RMC signs also have letters routed into a plank. The background is white and the letters painted black.

The RMC might have a sign indicating the Gluf side trail, which is part of the AT. Getting that sign when and if it goes for auction would be a score. The Katahdin summit sign is replaced about every 5 years. Getting one of those would be a real score :)

Dogwood
01-12-2014, 02:37
Someone in China or in a garage in Tennessee is making knock off designer trail signs right now to sell on Ebay or removing one from the trail where it's possibly needed right now as a result of reading this thread. :eek:

RITBlake
01-12-2014, 14:10
Supply and Demand

Dogwood
01-12-2014, 14:46
Got it. It's as simple as that. Right? You might like to know I have a demand for money and you have a supply of stuff I could sell to make money. You don't own a firearm do ya? ;)

max patch
01-12-2014, 15:09
I started this thread roughly 5 years ago. My quest for a real, authentic AT trail sign continues. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great (sign pun).

The AMC has an annual auction of trail signs that are replaced. Here is a listing and explanation of last years auction. I read on another forum that the Huntington sign went for $2,000.

http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/auction/

max patch
01-12-2014, 15:44
I also want a sign. The VERY FIRST time I went to Ebay years ago somebody had salvaged 2 signs from the burn pile at SNP and had them up for auction. I didn't have an account, didn't have any money on deposit, so I took no action. I left thinking that getting a sign would be easy. Haven't seen one there since. IIRC the price at the time was less than $50.

Cosmo
01-12-2014, 16:35
We (in Mass) take ours to the ATC Biennial Conference and they go into an auction to benefit the AT Museum. We had spate of replacements a couple of years ago, now we are down to one or two a year. Wait another 20 years or so and we'll have another batch... The ones that Randolph and AMC auction live in a much harsher environment and probably get replaced more often.

Cosmo

Son Driven
01-12-2014, 17:48
It seems to me the best way to protect the actual signage on the AT, is to simply allow anyone to make replicas. Once the market gets flooded with fakes, the value of the real signs would be diminished.

Slo-go'en
01-12-2014, 21:22
It seems to me the best way to protect the actual signage on the AT, is to simply allow anyone to make replicas. Once the market gets flooded with fakes, the value of the real signs would be diminished.

Theft of trail signs isn't a real problem, at least not that I ever saw or heard of. Inconsiderate people defaceing them is however a problem. How much would you bid on a sign which had someone elses name scratched into it?

Anyone can make replica signs, just don't pass them off as real or you could get into trouble.

forrest!
01-14-2014, 08:34

Here's my sign - got it at the GATC silent auction that was mentioned earlier in this discussion. Since I maintain the Hawk Mt section that starts (or ends) at Hightower Gap this particular sign means something to me...

Forrest

RITBlake
01-14-2014, 11:42
Anyone can make replica signs, just don't pass them off as real or you could get into trouble.

With the sign police?

perrymk
01-14-2014, 13:15
I realize its not exactly what you're looking for, but here is a nice, reasonably priced replica trail marker from the ATC

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=143&compid=1

RITBlake
03-20-2016, 22:31
Been away for a while. Good to revisit WhiteBlaze. Still looking for a trail sign... :cool:

egilbe
03-21-2016, 08:32
There is a store that's halfway between Millinocket and Baxter that sells BSP signs to tourists. The Katahdin sign was north of $500, if I remember correctly. According to Weary, the old Katahdin sign that was just replaced last week is probably warming someone's home right now.

Water Rat
03-21-2016, 08:54
There is a store that's halfway between Millinocket and Baxter that sells BSP signs to tourists. The Katahdin sign was north of $500, if I remember correctly. According to Weary, the old Katahdin sign that was just replaced last week is probably warming someone's home right now.

I think North Woods Trading Post (store between Millinocket and BSP) gets their replica signs from Maine Wooden Sign (http://mainewoodensign.com/). While not an "official" sign, it could still be a nice gift for that AT fanatic in your life.

Bronk
03-21-2016, 11:14
Around here they've been replacing the wooden National Forest signs with plastic ones (similar to this: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5274357.jpg )...I stopped in at the forest service office and asked what they were doing with the old wooden ones and they said they were putting them into storage. I was hoping I could have one or buy one if they were just throwing them away. She said they would be saved for historical purposes and might some day be put on display.

Slo-go'en
03-21-2016, 11:26
The Randolph Mountain club raised something like $2700 auctioning off 7 trail signs this winter.

dudeijuststarted
03-21-2016, 11:57
I'm willing to bid on the "Big Horse (P*n*s) Gap" sign that was just outside of Woods Hole in '14. The vandalized version, of course.