PDA

View Full Version : How to be informed of a sensitive subject

ofthearth
05-05-2008, 16:52
A question for SGT Rock and other mods. How do I/we/people keep informed of the bad/sensitive things happening on the trail if I/we/people don't want to deal with the rantings in some of the forms. When something happens as it recently did on the trail I think it is important that people are aware of the situation. And since I was one of the people 'complaining' about the ranting in the general forum, I'm not trying to sugguest that it be left 'wide open'. And I can understand that you can't go and move/delete all of the inappropiate comments. Any middle ground? Can a mod. post updates?

Thanks
ofthearth

emerald
05-05-2008, 17:00
You didn't ask me, but I just wanted to say I'd like to know the answer to your question too and I'll be reading. You ask an important question. I've found myself on both sides, wanting more openness sometimes and less other times.

SGT Rock
05-05-2008, 17:00
It could happen. The problem we find is none of us Administrators sits here 24/7 to clean up the adults. The reason I say that is that one poster reccomended we only police up the bad comments - well the problem with that is we generally come back to a thread that is 100 pages long and all tore up by the time we get to it - or the other option is to move a thread that starts to go that way off to sensitive topics like we had to do today.

The real solution is for adults to remember to act like adults. I know people get pissed off about it or have strong opinions about things - but if someone is that sort of person, then they have a responsibility to remain civil in public or take their less comments to the sensitive areas of the board.

ofthearth
05-05-2008, 17:06
I think what I was suggesting is that a mod or someone have ability to update a locked/closed something forum that they or others/someone what ever can update as necssary. I realize that a person can not keep up with a hot topic; or even a slow one that wanders off topic.

SGT Rock
05-05-2008, 17:10
So what you mean is like post the original topic back in the open forum but keep it locked so people can post it. Then just bump it occasionally. Am I getting your meaning correctly?

ofthearth
05-05-2008, 17:27
No, easier than that. A mod or someone can post to a locked page with just relevent info. ie what happened, what news is available (it apparently happened before) and it was VERY good to here that the person is continuing their hike. I might add that I have children and I get up set when I here this kind of thing happening and I can understand that some may have even more reason to be upset. Stil, it is important to be informed in order to make the necessary choices on the trail.

SGT Rock
05-05-2008, 17:30
That is a solution I haven't thought of and I like it. I'll do something like that.

Great suggestion.

ofthearth
05-05-2008, 17:34
And another question? How come you do show up as being on line :-? I know form past experience SGT's had a way of being not seen but ..........:eek:

Raining got to go

ofthearth
05-05-2008, 17:34
typing to fast "you do NOT show up"

SGT Rock
05-05-2008, 17:35
I don't know. I generally set myself to invisible mode.

SGT Rock
05-05-2008, 17:35
Oh, now I get what you are asking - there is a setting in the user CP for invisibility mode. Then only admins and moderators know when you are on. We see everything.

Skidsteer
05-05-2008, 17:38
And another question? How come you do show up as being on line :-? I know form past experience SGT's had a way of being not seen but ..........:eek:

Raining got to go

The option to be visible or invisible while online is found in the User cp and is an option for everybody.

TOW
05-05-2008, 17:41
Oh, now I get what you are asking - there is a setting in the user CP for invisibility mode. Then only admins and moderators know when you are on. We see everything.
I knew it! You guys are gods! I bet your even spying on me and Sally here at the house, I knew I was being watched......

doggiebag
05-05-2008, 17:43
Realllly ... what finger am I holding up? :D

sofaking
05-05-2008, 17:53
don't believe all that crap about the 'invisibility' setting...sgt. rock is a black ops- a man without insignia, a modern day ninja...

SGT Rock
05-05-2008, 18:26
Your typing finger...

don't believe all that crap about the 'invisibility' setting...sgt. rock is a black ops- a man without insignia, a modern day ninja...
The first rule of black ops, is you do not talk about black ops.

WhiteBlaze is already a partner in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzoXQKumgCw

mudhead
05-05-2008, 18:31

This one. http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2004/m_monkey_smell-p1.php

TIDE-HSV
05-05-2008, 18:39
Being an admin on another site using the same software, I can say that I always opt for the "visible" mode. Also, I use Firefox, with tabbed browsing, rather than IE. As long as I have a tab open for that site, the software will show me as being "online."

doggiebag
05-05-2008, 18:45
This one. http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2004/m_monkey_smell-p1.php

:eek::eek::eek:!

mudhead
05-05-2008, 19:17
Well, hell. Aldo sniffs, eh?

If you can't laugh at that, something is wrong with you.

doggiebag
05-05-2008, 19:21
Well, hell. Aldo sniffs, eh?

If you can't laugh at that, something is wrong with you.

It's funny. :D
and there's still something wrong with me.