PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder tenderness

Locutus
05-05-2008, 17:36
I just did my first backpack trip last weekend, and while the whole trip did not turn out well at all, my main concern in the pain I have in the front of my shoulders today. On each side, right above my armpit, it is sore to the touch. On the second day, I could certainly feel the area starting to become tender. My pack was about 35lbs. Is this something I just need to get "used to"? Or is there a problem with how my pack is adjusted? To be honest, my pack has about a million straps and I really have no idea how it is supposed to be adjusted, I just kind of tightened or loosened them until it seemed to feel ok.

Footslogger
05-05-2008, 17:42
Pretty hard to know without actually seeing your pack ON you ...but just from the sounds of things I 'd say that the shoulder straps were riding too far out on the shoulder AND may have been misadjusted or adjusted to tightly.

Another question would be ...do you use trekking poles ? Rigorous use of trekking poles on a fresh set of shoulders can result in strain/pain/tenderness.

Experiment with shoulder strap adjustment and don't hesitiate making changes as you are hiking. If you use a sternum strap, tighten it a little at certain times to pull the shoulder straps in and likewise, loosen the sternum strap to allow the shoulder straps to migrate outward.

'Slogger

sofaking
05-05-2008, 17:44
you need someone to show you how to adjust your pack...or make sure you have the right size pack to start with. sounds like you had your shoulder straps and load lifters too tight and not enough weight on your hips...don't get used to painful hiking, get comfortable and the miles become part of the joy, not a form of agony.

Locutus
05-05-2008, 17:54
Here a pic of me with my pack on from this past weekend:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/locutus2999/me.jpg

take-a-knee
First, if it isn't better in a week or so, see an ortho doc.

Second, do you have a resistance training routine? If not, why are you suprised that you are sore? Some part of my body is mildly sore nearly seven days a week, the alternative is weakness.

I'll take a wild stab in the dark, like all good internet ortho-wannabes do, and say your pain is anterior (front of body), near the juncture of the deltoid (shoulder) and pectoral (a man should know where they are) muscles, that is, right in the "rifle pocket". The deeper pectoralis minor muscles insert on a large process that protrudes anteriorly from the clavicle called the coracoid (crow's beak) process. You likely have a little tendonitis where those muscles attach. Advil and drink lots of water... and use your sternum strap.

Locutus
I use only one trekking pole.

Locutus
05-05-2008, 17:57
First, if it isn't better in a week or so, see an ortho doc.

Second, do you have a resistance training routine? If not, why are you suprised that you are sore? Some part of my body is mildly sore nearly seven days a week, the alternative is weakness.

I'll take a wild stab in the dark, like all good internet ortho-wannabes do, and say your pain is anterior (front of body), near the juncture of the deltoid (shoulder) and pectoral (a man should know where they are) muscles, that is, right in the "rifle pocket". The deeper pectoralis minor muscles insert on a large process that protrudes anteriorly from the clavicle called the coracoid (crow's beak) process. You likely have a little tendonitis where those muscles attach. Advil and drink lots of water... and use your sternum strap.

Thanks for the feedback, but maybe I wasn't clear. This is not muscle pain, it is more like bruising of the area, and I have no pain there unless I actually touch it.

sofaking
05-05-2008, 18:05
next time you put on a loaded pack, loosen your shoulder straps waaay looser than you need before donning the pack, get your hip belt situated and feel the majority of the weight centered on your hips- clip your sternum strap and adjust to comfort, then adjust the shoulder straps tight enough that you can still slide a finger under them easily. adjust your load lifters(on top of the shoulder straps) to take up a little more of the weight and see how it goes from there. if you have load straps on the sides of your hip belt you can mess around with those too, but i find that draws the load too close to my assatall- i don't have one, and makes my pack want to ride down my butt. after a few trips of fiddling around with your pack and different loads you'll get to where it's second nature. and don't forget to adjust throughout the day...

Footslogger
05-05-2008, 18:07
Honestly, from your picture I don't see anything on the pack itself that would cause your bruising near the armpit. From the looks of things I have that same pack and from experience I would offer the observation that the shoulder harness does look a bit small for your "build".

Backpacking involves a lot of "repetitive motion" and that can lead to what it often referred to as a repetitive motion injury (RMI). That's about as far out on the limb as I am going to go with it.

As has already been suggested ...if the bruising/tenderness pesists - see an orthopedic/sports medicine doc.

'Slogger

Skidsteer
05-05-2008, 18:16
From your photo it doesn't look like your shoulder straps fit quite right but who knows?. The wide part with the padding should extend down a bit more, I'm thinking. The pack strikes me as too small for you.

Could be the pack design or it just doesn't fit right or it isn't adjusted right. It'd be best to visit a good outfitter to figure out the problem.

bigcranky
05-05-2008, 18:20
This is normal for a new backpacker. Some tenderness in the front of the shoulder and over the hips is to be expected. It'll go away in a few days, and after you've been hiking for awhile it won't happen anymore.

From the photo, you have your sternum strap way too tight, BTW. This may or may not contribute to the soreness.

Bulldawg
05-05-2008, 19:00
From your photo it doesn't look like your shoulder straps fit quite right but who knows?. The wide part with the padding should extend down a bit more, I'm thinking. The pack strikes me as too small for you.

Could be the pack design or it just doesn't fit right or it isn't adjusted right. It'd be best to visit a good outfitter to figure out the problem.

I noticed the same exact thing Skids. Looks like if he pulled up the load lifters a bit that perhaps some of the padding that could actually be behind his shoulders, the padding might move further down and around his chest and ribs. Just my opinion. Best to do as others here have suggested and visit a reputable outfitter and get some help with fitting.

orangebug
05-05-2008, 19:01
I think the shoulder straps and sternum strap are too tight. The sternum strap is not all that necessary. I think you are riding the pack a bit high on your pelvis, and have managed to compress your pecs and axilla with the way you have tightened the straps.

I'd loosen every thing, start with tightening the belt below belly button, catching the ridges of the pelvis under the belt and back. Now tighten the top straps so that it comes out around 90 off the pack, but not touching the top of your shoulder. You should be able to shrug your shoulders. Tighten the bottom strap after readjusting the belt a bit.

And I think the pack looks a bit small for your torso.

Bulldawg
05-05-2008, 19:02

I got that same trekking pole, but mine came in pairs. I know they aren't as light as some of the others, but at 90% cheaper, they get me through all of my hikes just fine.

sofaking
05-05-2008, 19:12
I got that same trekking pole, but mine came in pairs. I know they aren't as light as some of the others, but at 90% cheaper, they get me through all of my hikes just fine.
is that the swiss gear ones with the plastic handles? i use the ones with the fake cork handles, and for $20 bucks a pair they kick a$$...

Bulldawg
05-05-2008, 19:41
Those are indeed the new Wally World plastic handled Swiss Gears with a half a$$ compass in the top. They are currently 14.88 for the pair and at that price IMO you cannot beat them. Sure if I were going 2175 miles in one clip, I might splurge, but for my 1-25 miles in a clip, I love them. I have some cork handled, but have given them to the kids. In fact, when Wally World apparently decided to switch to selling the blue, plastic handled ones by the pair, they ran a closeout on the red cork handled ones. I bought 6 for $30. 2 each for the kids and the wife.

Two Speed
05-05-2008, 19:44
Now all ya gotta do is get the wife out for a backpacking trip and you're getting a return on investment.

I owed you that one for the shot you landed on me about the Pinhoti. Your turn.

Bulldawg
05-05-2008, 20:05
She goes hiking, just not overnight. If you can find me a trail with a shelter with full amenities (i.e. a motel really--'shower, electricity, heat, air, continental breakfast, etc.) and I bet ya $100 we can get her to go on an overnight hike!!!

Two Speed
05-05-2008, 20:45
Like I said, a backpacking trip.

Locutus, could just be using muscles you haven't ever used before.

Bulldawg
05-05-2008, 20:58
I tried last week to get her to camp at Lowes Motor Speedway next weekend when we go. I mean, in the city, bath houses, electricity, etc. Her response was "get me a motel or find somebody else to go to the race with you."

Sorry to hi jack your thread Locutus. Good luck with the hiking!!

Blissful
05-05-2008, 21:09
I would say the pack isn't fitting right. Looks too small. And the weight you are carrying is pretty hefty. A lot on how the pack rides depends on how you pack it as well (if lots of stuff attached to the outside of the pack, for instance). Get fitted at an outfitter if you can. But some shoulder tenderness does happen on a hike if you arne't used to carrying a pack.

shoe
05-05-2008, 23:59
I usually get a little tenderness the first day or 2 that I am out after a several month hiatus. I figure my body used to not having a pack. After the 2nd day it doesn't bother me at all.

I agree with the others that your pack looks kind of small.

Locutus
05-06-2008, 17:28
Thanks for the advice. I think it might have had something to do with how I had it packed, because when I had less items in it, it seemed like the padded part of the shoulder straps went down further on my chest. I guess it possible it "bulging" in the middle of my back making the top of the pack further away from my back. In the picture, now that I think about it, I tightened the sternum strap so the straps would be off the area that was tender.

That is in fact the 2-pack wally world special trekking pole. :)

bloodmountainman
05-06-2008, 17:32
The pack looks too small.

RITBlake
05-06-2008, 17:37
The pack looks too small.

yup, sure does.

buff_jeff
05-06-2008, 22:47

First thing I'd do is loosen some of those straps up. They look too tight.

buff_jeff
05-06-2008, 22:50
yup, sure does.
I dig the avatar, man. My bro hasn't left the TV for the last week, though.:D

envirodiver
05-06-2008, 23:56
It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo but I tend to think the pack may be too small also. Do you know the size of the pack and did you have your torso measured? It looks like the shoulder straps wrap around your shoulder too much toward where they attach to the pack. Maybe you can go back to where you bought it and have them make the determination, if it's not the correct size, maybe they will swap it out.

Also, just noticed the bottom of your left strap appears to be twisted. That can't feel good and looks to be poking the area you describe as painfull.

Compass
05-07-2008, 00:24
Packs definitly to small. If it has load lifters they appear to be going down instead of up. The shoulder straps should just hold the pack against you and worst case if overloaded take 10% of the load till food bag weight drops.

Good luck! Gear adjustment seem to never end.

Time To Fly 97
05-07-2008, 09:31
I think I know:

Loosen the straps that connect the top of your shoulders("load adjustment straps?") to your pack. These are designed to pull the pack into your body. If these are too tight, they will basically bruise the front of your shoulders.

Here is the sequence for strap tightening:

Loosen all

Waist belt - rides on on and slightly above hip bones. Tighten so that all the weight of your pack is supported on your waist (for now). Pretty tight.

Shoulder straps - Tighten (with your shoulders slightly shrugged) so that if you are leaning forward slightly, the pack and your body seem to balance over your waist. If you stand straight up, you should be able to stand comfortably, with snug shoulder straps, without slouching your shoulders.

Sternum strap - tighten so that shoulder straps ride just inside of your shoulders

*** Load strap - tighten so that pack barely touches your back

You should feel about 80 - 85% of the weight on your waist, and the rest on the top of your shoulders. Your pack should not feel tight, yet be snug enough not to wobble around. You should be able to stand straight up and feel a slightly backwards pull of the pack - feels perfectly balanced if you are leaning forward slightly.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Cherokee Bill
05-07-2008, 18:39
I just did my first backpack trip last weekend, and while the whole trip did not turn out well at all, my main concern in the pain I have in the front of my shoulders today. On each side, right above my armpit, it is sore to the touch. On the second day, I could certainly feel the area starting to become tender. My pack was about 35lbs. Is this something I just need to get "used to"? Or is there a problem with how my pack is adjusted? To be honest, my pack has about a million straps and I really have no idea how it is supposed to be adjusted, I just kind of tightened or loosened them until it seemed to feel ok.

:mad: Have backpacked for 23-years with shoulder-pain. Finally found out it is a condition call "impengment syndrome". :( Keep promising myself that this winter I'll have the surgery, with the winter passing and a new backpacking season upon me :-? Go figure :confused:

Skidsteer
05-07-2008, 18:45
:mad: Have backpacked for 23-years with shoulder-pain. Finally found out it is a condition call "impengment syndrome". :( Keep promising myself that this winter I'll have the surgery, with the winter passing and a new backpacking season upon me :-? Go figure :confused:

Ouch. That sounds nasty:

Impingement syndrome. (http://www.medicinenet.com/impingement_syndrome/article.htm)

Wags
05-12-2008, 11:58
you may also have too much weight in the top of your pack. seems to me it's quite a distance off the back of your neck. i constant pulling like that could cause some bruising by your shoulder straps, which by the way, look tight to me as said by others. seems you squished your body around your pack straps instead of adjusting the straps around your body :D

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2008, 12:06
Sofaking's first suggestion is correct, the weight is to be on the hip belt loosen the sholders more and perhaps you need to work into it. I also agree the weight distribution needs to be addressed.

Uncle Tom
06-07-2008, 10:51
Should not be a problem carrying a pack. Some fit issue is present . Or you have the wrong pack. I had surgery for a supposed rotator cuff tear two months before my thru hike last year. Actually both my shoulders are really bad. The doc told me that hiking would be the best thing for my shoulders, and he was right. I had never felt so pain in my shoulders as wehen i was hiking, and I think poles helped me keep a good range of motion.
He said the issue would be sleeping on the ground on a relatively hard surface nightly. So our problem may not be with the pack, but with your pad. I did much better with a Big Agnes air core. and a hammock helped.
You need to see a good sports orthopedist, preferably someone who specializes in shoulders.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-07-2008, 11:01
Pack's too small sir. The hipbelt needs to wrap around your hips a bit more to carry the weight. I'd go to about where the carabiner holding your bota is hanging equally on both sides. You should be able to slide your fingers easily under the packstraps at the top of your shoulder and under your arm pit. Torso looks too short.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-07-2008, 11:06
This may help http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/articles.php?id=62&cat=3

take-a-knee
06-07-2008, 13:10
I tried last week to get her to camp at Lowes Motor Speedway next weekend when we go. I mean, in the city, bath houses, electricity, etc. Her response was "get me a motel or find somebody else to go to the race with you."

Sorry to hi jack your thread Locutus. Good luck with the hiking!!

Try to get her to slackpack out of the Hiker Hostel with you, she might get hooked. Then get her a hammock of course.

BitBucket
06-07-2008, 13:30
Locutus,

Drop by one of your local outfitters and have them show you several different packs and how to adjust the straps. It will make all the difference in the world once you get it properly adjusted.

It's extremely important to have the right sized pack for your needs and that it is adjusted properly. The wrong size pack, the wrong shoulder harness, having too much in it, etc. all will contribute to a bad hiking experience. A good pack needs to fit like a good pair of shoes...I had to go through a number of different manufacturers, sizes, etc before I found one that would really fit me well for the majority of my needs.

Here's a good resource from Gregory Packs that will help explain pack fit.

http://gregorypacks.com/index.php/Gregory/Pack-Fit/packfit.html

If the pain continues after getting the pack adjusted right, you may want to see a Dr. You might have some damage in the shoulder joint area that is causing you trouble (like a minor rotator cuff injury or labral tear). Best of luck!