PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the dog : (

Frick Frack
05-05-2008, 19:56
Question-If anyone has any suggestions for how to leave your dog back at home while tru-hiking I would love comments. My wife and I are planning a tru-hike and this is the biggest issue....what to do with a 15 year old Jack Russell : (

Blissful
05-05-2008, 21:13
We left our dog with my parents - but my hubby was only on the trail five weeks. Any relatives that could take him in?

Old Hillwalker
05-06-2008, 07:56
Here is my decision relative to the exact same quandry:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33697

Here it is 47 days until I'm supposed to depart and he is still alive and tail wagging.

glacier48
05-06-2008, 09:32
I have faced that same sort of issue. I am at a loss for an answer. Any relatives or friends that would like free rent to take care of your dog? Maybe at a university college. I is hard to leave someone behind in the unknown. I am trying to take my dog with me but it will be challenging. Can you take her?

Glacier

minnesotasmith
05-06-2008, 10:06
Question-If anyone has any suggestions for how to leave your dog back at home while tru-hiking I would love comments. My wife and I are planning a tru-hike and this is the biggest issue....what to do with a 15 year old Jack Russell : (

To bring up a truth as relevant as it is unpleasant, odds are that pooch doesn't have that much longer. If you're at wit's end with finding a solution for your dog's care that you can accept while away for 6+ months, why not just hold off on your thruhike until your dog passes on in the natural order of things?

Wise Old Owl
05-06-2008, 10:28
Because a Jack Russel can live to be 24!

mudhead
05-06-2008, 10:30
You mean torment you until it is 24.

minnesotasmith
05-06-2008, 10:36
Because a Jack Russel can live to be 24!
=========================================

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/jackrussellterrier.htm

"Life expectancy (of a JRT): about 15 or more years"
===========================================
http://www.ehow.com/how_9971_care-jack-russell.html

"Be prepared to enjoy a good 15 years with your Jack Russell, as this is the average life expectancy for a Jack Russell terrier"
======================================

Just because some men live past 110, doesn't mean that it's the way to bet. So it is with that (obviously loved and lovable) pooch making it 9 more years.

doggiebag
05-06-2008, 10:39
You mean torment you until it is 24.
24 is nothing cattledogs can live up to 27 ... I'll be pretty much have gone completely crazy by then. Another 20 years :D

Appalachian Tater
05-06-2008, 18:56
The average lifespan for a species doesn't really give you an accurate prediction of how long an individual will live.

The best solution is to get your wife to stay home with the dog and take your girlfriend on the hike.

Frick Frack
05-06-2008, 19:49
He knows something is up because he was "bouncing" around more than usual when I got home....making this much harder. Taking him would be difficult because he has one eye, not the best vision in that eye, and loss of hearing. He has not been on a hike in years (used to do 12+ miles and get home and want to play ball). Most relatives already have their hands full and friends have other dogs (Wiley doesn't care for other dogs). He is still full of energy but I do not think he could handle all that would be thrown at him. Hopefully a solution will surface....

Programbo
05-06-2008, 21:49
Since you are still planning a thru hike I shall assume you don`t mean this year...Perhaps one of the thousands of nice folks who come on this board lives near you and would be so kind as to take the little pooch in while you re gone...If you are planning for a year away that gives plenty of times for visits with the little critter so he can become use to the person you will leave him with and it wouldn`t be to sudden of a shock.

minnesotasmith
05-07-2008, 03:22
"He has not been on a hike in years (used to do 12+ miles and get home and want to play ball). Most relatives already have their hands full and friends have other dogs (Wiley doesn't care for other dogs)"

Back in the day when you took this dog hiking... If at the level of training you had in you to get your dog up to, he still had trouble dealing with other dogs he'd meet on the trail, what was your rationale in even bringing him onto marked trails (as opposed to bushwacking, where you could expect not to run into other people's dogs)?

JAK
05-07-2008, 06:31
I say take the dog. Take him someplace the three of you can hike safely, without bothering anyone. That's the right thing to do. If you had a better option, like a relative that knows the dog as well as you do, then you wouldn't be asking us. Do the right thing, or if you want to do the wrong thing, stop asking others to go along with it.

I have to ask you. Why should I care about you more than I care about your dog?

JAK
05-07-2008, 06:33
If he's really not up to any hiking at all, or if there is no suitable place, wait until he's gone.

doggiebag
05-07-2008, 07:06
IMHO I wouldn't abandon a dog that I've had for 15 years for a thru-hike. It's just a hike. But if I have to be typing this ... I feel sorry for this dog. At least I know my dog will never have to face being alone or getting abandoned when he get's old or I get a whim. If anything - if someone does decide that a thru-hike is more important than the dignified treatment of a companion of 15 years. Just don't leave it in the pound if a suitable home can't be found. The chances of adoption are low and the thing will be scared and lonely for the last of it's days. Do the right thing and put it down. Though it sickens me to have to write this. The sad thing is most folks are usually off the trail after a couple of weeks.

minnesotasmith
05-07-2008, 08:06
IMHO I wouldn't abandon a dog that I've had for 15 years for a thru-hike. It's just a hike. But if I have to be typing this ... I feel sorry for this dog. At least I know my dog will never have to face being alone or getting abandoned when he get's old or I get a whim. If anything - if someone does decide that a thru-hike is more important than the dignified treatment of a companion of 15 years. Just don't leave it in the pound if a suitable home can't be found. The chances of adoption are low and the thing will be scared and lonely for the last of it's days. Do the right thing and put it down. Though it sickens me to have to write this. The sad thing is most folks are usually off the trail after a couple of weeks.

1) It's an animal, NOT a person. When someone says "companion" when the word "pet" is more descriptive, it sounds like they are confusing a pet with a human friend. I enjoyed and did well by the dogs and birds I've owned, but would never have let one kept me from going to graduate school, beginning my career, becoming married -- or thruhiking the AT.

2) It sounds like you are overestimating how quickly aspiring thruhikers that quit bail. What, over 3/4 make it out of GA alone, and the majority through the Smokies. If someone is not going to make it the whole way, they may very well at least get into Virginia, over 450 miles into this thing.

Nomad94
05-07-2008, 08:18

Join a Jack Russell forum. Make friends.

mudhead
05-07-2008, 08:29

Agreed. I just could not find the words.

" the old dog barks without getting up, I remember when he was just a pup."

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 08:36
To bring up a truth as relevant as it is unpleasant, odds are that pooch doesn't have that much longer. If you're at wit's end with finding a solution for your dog's care that you can accept while away for 6+ months, why not just hold off on your thruhike until your dog passes on in the natural order of things?
FNA!!! the trail ain't going anywhere,dont do that to your dog.

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 08:43
He knows something is up because he was "bouncing" around more than usual when I got home....making this much harder. Taking him would be difficult because he has one eye, not the best vision in that eye, and loss of hearing. He has not been on a hike in years (used to do 12+ miles and get home and want to play ball). Most relatives already have their hands full and friends have other dogs (Wiley doesn't care for other dogs). He is still full of energy but I do not think he could handle all that would be thrown at him. Hopefully a solution will surface....
between the two of you you couldn't carry him once in awhile/often! its not like he's a great dane? doesn't he feel like your kid,would you unload you kid on someone else. don't answer that. in fact if you need another kid we have one. but i would never ditch my best friend, never! i love the appalachian trail but it ain't worth s*** compared to my DOG!

mudhead
05-07-2008, 08:50
doesn't he feel like your kid,would you unload you kid on someone else. don't answer that. in fact if you need another kid we have one. but i would never ditch my best friend, never! i love the appalachian trail but it ain't worth s*** compared to my DOG!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23486&c=

I get a charge out of dogs that sleep like this. Notice the lip/fang interaction.

doggiebag
05-07-2008, 08:52
between the two of you you couldn't carry him once in awhile/often! its not like he's a great dane? doesn't he feel like your kid,would you unload you kid on someone else. don't answer that. in fact if you need another kid we have one. but i would never ditch my best friend, never! i love the appalachian trail but it ain't worth s*** compared to my DOG!
You have a great point. It will add an extra challenge to the adventure. But it will be a special trip that can be looked back on with joy and pride. Taking the little guy on an adventure of a lifetime (probably his last). It's something to definitely consider. It's not a big dog. Some perceived problems can actually have simple happy solutions.

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 08:54
i agree with everything you said doggiebag except putting the dog down! your probably right too they'd be off the trail in a week or two. i would gladly take your dog in and give it a great home,but as much of a dog lover as i am,and your not! the dog would still be home sick and probably die anyway from a broken heart. i just lost my friend and was not ready for another yet. but get in your car and bring him to me. please before thinking/doing anymore stupid s***

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 08:57
I have faced that same sort of issue. I am at a loss for an answer. Any relatives or friends that would like free rent to take care of your dog? Maybe at a university college. I is hard to leave someone behind in the unknown. I am trying to take my dog with me but it will be challenging. Can you take her?

Glacier
are you and frickfrack related?

Lone Wolf
05-07-2008, 09:00
lotsa dogs coming through damascus this year. they all look tired. i hate it when hikers drag thier dogs to dot's and leave them outside on the hot pavement with no water while they're inside having beer and burgers. these folks should leave thier dogs home

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 09:03

I get a charge out of dogs that sleep like this. Notice the lip/fang interaction.
you just put a big smile on my face,thankyou! thats my beardog.

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 09:11
You have a great point. It will add an extra challenge to the adventure. But it will be a special trip that can be looked back on with joy and pride. Taking the little guy on an adventure of a lifetime (probably his last). It's something to definitely consider. It's not a big dog. Some perceived problems can actually have simple happy solutions.
yeah this ultra light bulls*** is getting carried away,how much could he actually weigh? in conn. in 03' bear got her paw stepped on in kent. didn't realize it til we were out on the trail,carried my 50 pd. pack and my 100pd. dog over my neck for a mile or so to the stewart hollow brook lean-to. and then carried her back to town the next day. a local paid for her vet bill (i paid back after the hike)and put her up for a few days while i threw in a few more miles so bear wouldn't have to. love will make you stronger!!!

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 09:17
lotsa dogs coming through damascus this year. they all look tired. i hate it when hikers drag thier dogs to dot's and leave them outside on the hot pavement with no water while they're inside having beer and burgers. these folks should leave thier dogs home
as usual wolf you are right. just because you own a dog does not mean you should take them hiking. you must go above and beyond if you take your friend. top priority at all times!!! night hike, slow down,give the dog days off at times,first aid kit, never let them bother others etc...my dog was my life!!! trail or no trail,i pampered her her whole life and only ever pushed her on the trail ONE day, ONE time.its sad but that one day keeps popping up in my thoughts now...

Lone Wolf
05-07-2008, 09:18
as usual wolf you are right. just because you own a dog does not mean you should take them hiking. you must go above and beyond if you take your friend. top priority at all times!!! night hike, slow down,give the dog days off at times,first aid kit,etc...my dog was my life!!! trail or no trail,i pampered her her whole life and only ever pushed her on the trail ONE day, ONE time.its sad but that one day keeps popping up in my thoughts now...

you are an exception. most aren't like you. wish they were.

doggiebag
05-07-2008, 09:29
yeah this ultra light bulls*** is getting carried away,how much could he actually weigh? in conn. in 03' bear got her paw stepped on in kent. didn't realize it til we were out on the trail,carried my 50 pd. pack and my 100pd. dog over my neck for a mile or so to the stewart hollow brook lean-to. and then carried her back to town the next day. a local paid for her vet bill (i paid back after the hike)and put her up for a few days while i threw in a few more miles so bear wouldn't have to. love will make you stronger!!!
You are one in a million dude. Aldo and I went through our share of adventures last year both scary and exhillerating at times. I can honestly say that it was all worth the effort. People should remember that real adventures still exist for regular folks. Doing a long-distance hike is not an easy thing and adding a dog to the equation definitely adds a lot responsibility. Great adventures and memories are based on overcoming challenges. In this case leaving behind a potential hiking companion because it's just inconvenient is pretty lame.

Frick Frack
05-07-2008, 13:28
WOW! And I thought this was a Q & A forum? I would never just abandon my dog...I'm just looking for solutions to a problem. I thought surely someone would have encountered the same problem and may have a solution that I have over looked. We have an opportunity to hike the AT and we want to take it. I love my dog more than most people love their kids but I have to agree with minnesotasmith on this one. The rationale I see here is that a thru-hiker with a family at home should be doing the hike with the whole family, holding hands & singing Kum Ba Yah, complete with all pets....including tropical fish marching down the trail. I would never leave my dog with just anyone and would absolutely NEVER send him to the pound (and putting him to sleep just because of this is unthinkable!). It is romantic to think of him hiking with us but totally unrealistic...that would probably be the most unfair thing I could do to him (I agree with Lone Wolf). Trust me, I will make sure he is more than well taken care of if we find someone who can help out.

As far as bailing I agree with Minnesotasmith again. We section-hiked from Springer to Mt. Rogers Headquarters and have encountered a week of rain, sudden snow, draught, etc. and never thought anything but how awesome it is to be on the trail and hike to the places it takes you. We are mentally tough and in above average shape...bailing will only be because of a very good reason.

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 15:19
[quote=Frick Frack;616671]I would never just abandon my dog...I'm just looking for solutions to a problem.
your problem is how to ditch the dog? i hope this turns out ok? doesn't look to good. have a great hike...

doggiebag
05-07-2008, 15:36
Have a great hike. I hope your dog finds a nice home.

nchikergirl
05-07-2008, 16:02
So, I guess if one of your family members doesn't want to hike with you, you should not hike until they kick the bucket? Or this only applies to dogs? How about cats? I imagine this logic applies to friends, too.

Oh wait, you probably don't have any.

leeki pole
05-07-2008, 16:07
1) It's an animal, NOT a person. When someone says "companion" when the word "pet" is more descriptive, it sounds like they are confusing a pet with a human friend. I enjoyed and did well by the dogs and birds I've owned, but would never have let one kept me from going to graduate school, beginning my career, becoming married -- or thruhiking the AT.

2) It sounds like you are overestimating how quickly aspiring thruhikers that quit bail. What, over 3/4 make it out of GA alone, and the majority through the Smokies. If someone is not going to make it the whole way, they may very well at least get into Virginia, over 450 miles into this thing.
Well, it's pretty obvious you've never had a true companion, sadly. When it's all about me rather than us, you've missed out on quite a bit, my friend.

Smitty, please think before you speak about true human/canine relationships. Thank you.

minnesotasmith
05-07-2008, 16:11
Smitty, please think before you speak about true human/canine relationships.

I did. That's where item #1 came from. Too many animal owners have mental processes akin to those adults with small children as dependents who rush into a burning building to save an ordinary dog or cat they've owned for a while.

doggiebag
05-07-2008, 16:27
So, I guess if one of your family members doesn't want to hike with you, you should not hike until they kick the bucket? Or this only applies to dogs? How about cats? I imagine this logic applies to friends, too.

Hey welcome to WhiteBlaze genius!
:welcome

leeki pole
05-07-2008, 16:33
I did. That's where item #1 came from. Too many animal owners have mental processes akin to those adults with small children as dependents who rush into a burning building to save an ordinary dog or cat they've owned for a while.
I understand your perspective. Given that, why can't a hiker give a companion one last trip (think Bucket List) of a lifetime? Sure, I'd save my wife and children first if my companion Labs hadn't already pulled them out, which they probably would and give up their life in the process.

I'm that confident in the training I've given them. It's love and dedication.

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 17:11

how do you know the dog doesn't want to go,what are you the dog whisperer or something? and yes it applies differently between dogs and relatives/humans! getting a pet is a lifetime commitment. I probably have more friends by accident than you'll ever have on purpose! thanks for asking though...

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 17:23
Real quick - a minor move, but I am going to put this into the dog forum. Nothing should be affected by that.

JAK
05-07-2008, 20:30
how do you know the dog doesn't want to go,what are you the dog whisperer or something? and yes it applies differently between dogs and relatives/humans! getting a pet is a lifetime commitment. I probably have more friends by accident than you'll ever have on purpose! thanks for asking though...Getting a dog is a serious lifelong commitment. Getting a cat, aaah... not so much. It's usually a little more layed back, like marriage. ;)

warraghiyagey
05-07-2008, 20:39
Boy, those Canadians sure know how to party.:p

JAK
05-07-2008, 21:12
Boy, those Canadians sure know how to party.:pReminds me off that old joke. Can't remember how it went but the punchline goes something like this...

"WOW, so it worked then", said the doctor rather impressed.
"No like I said, same old same old, just like any other day.
Her afternoon bridge party sure got a kick out of it though."

:banana

JAK
05-07-2008, 21:14
By the way, does anybody know where I can get some cat handcuffs?

JAK
05-07-2008, 21:26
When I first read this thread I thought it was a euphemism for abstaining one of the more lewd forms of procrastination.

JAK
05-07-2008, 21:29
Try that one again.

When I first read the thread title I thought it was a euphemism
for abstaining from one of the more lewd forms of procrastination.

Programbo
05-07-2008, 22:26

I guess the same place you buy those fake arrow-thru-the-head things

desdemona
05-07-2008, 23:51
Is your dog well?
If so I would go on. My cat is now 20, I have thought that he was going on to the cat hunting grounds anytime now (that was 2 years ago).

My sister and I had to find a place for my mom's dog for a few months. We looked on Craig's list. There was a neat lady that took in dogs for a certain no. of weeks, months. My mom's dog had a great time at "summer camp" with other dogs, outside, etc. Lost some weight (needed) and I don't think even missed anybody.

You might look around for such a person, if you can afford this.

If your dog is ailing or has a condition that is potentially terminal (diabetes) then I would wait. The trail will be there.
But there is something kind of morbid about waiting around for your (healthy) dog to die. 15 years is only an average, and there are many smaller dogs, esp., that live very long lives, esp. these days.

Put the dog down?? I hope someone was joking. Sick joke but I hope so.

--des

desdemona
05-07-2008, 23:53
Oh yeah, and I wouldn't take an older dog on a long long hike. A day hike or shorter overnights, something like that yes.

--des

Frick Frack
05-08-2008, 08:25
Desdemona thanks for your reply. I had no idea I would get so may irrational replys from a simple question. You have helped me pursue a another direction I had not thought of. I can not believe some of these people would think I'm "diching" my dog! Especially when I look at their picture gallerys and see their children/family members...I guess they "ditched" them too! Looks like the dog was more important than the family....My dog can barely make it around the block now in his old age, has one eye with very little vision, can barely hear, and developing arthritis but otherwise very healthy. He has lived his life as a indoor dog and exposing him to the elements for 5 months with those few conditions would surely finish him off. Sure he used to hike when he was younger but even the shortest walk/day hike makes him sleep for days. Taking him would be outragious! This is a temporary situation while my wife and I pursue a dream. Upon arriving home life would be the same as before. Thanks again for sticking to the point and providing me with some new info.

CrumbSnatcher
05-08-2008, 09:52
Desdemona thanks for your reply. I had no idea I would get so may irrational replys from a simple question. You have helped me pursue a another direction I had not thought of. I can not believe some of these people would think I'm "diching" my dog! Especially when I look at their picture gallerys and see their children/family members...I guess they "ditched" them too! Looks like the dog was more important than the family....My dog can barely make it around the block now in his old age, has one eye with very little vision, can barely hear, and developing arthritis but otherwise very healthy. He has lived his life as a indoor dog and exposing him to the elements for 5 months with those few conditions would surely finish him off. Sure he used to hike when he was younger but even the shortest walk/day hike makes him sleep for days. Taking him would be outragious! This is a temporary situation while my wife and I pursue a dream. Upon arriving home life would be the same as before. Thanks again for sticking to the point and providing me with some new info.
nobodys trying to be irrational,just alot of people concerned for you and your dogs well being. your dogs health could turn for the worse while your gone, simply from a broken heart. not understanding where you went? or he might understand. my dog knew what was what when she saw me pick up the back pack. i truely wish you the best on this...

Frick Frack
05-08-2008, 10:02
Thanks CrumbSnatcher. If any family member/friend or my dog had problems that required us return home we would not think twice about it. We would rather take advantage of an opportunity with the risk of having to return than look back and regret not trying.

CrumbSnatcher
05-08-2008, 10:06
Thanks CrumbSnatcher. If any family member/friend or my dog had problems that required us return home we would not think twice about it. We would rather take advantage of an opportunity with the risk of having to return than look back and regret not trying.
good enough,my home is still your dogs home if you need .but a family member the dog knows would be best..

CrumbSnatcher
05-08-2008, 10:12
frick frack,by the way are you thruing this year? sobo or nobo.

Frick Frack
05-08-2008, 10:59
Last minute sobo...sounds crazy, right? My wife and I are going to continue section-hiking north with my brother-in-law in the future but have always wanted to do a thru-hike southbound. We have just moved, have the equity from the house earning money, enought cash set aside and looking for career changes so this seems to be the best timing. We are aiming for 2nd week of June at the latest. We may be able to do our section with my brother-in-law this year as we hopefully reach that point in VA. My wife and I (esp my wife) work long hours so Wiley would appreciate someone who might be home more often (which is what I'm looking for). If this all pulls together this will benefit all involved & if not we will put things on hold and hope another opportunity arises in the future.

desdemona
05-08-2008, 23:21
nobodys trying to be irrational,just alot of people concerned for you and your dogs well being. your dogs health could turn for the worse while your gone, simply from a broken heart. not understanding where you went? or he might understand. my dog knew what was what when she saw me pick up the back pack. i truely wish you the best on this...

Dogs live a lot more in the moment. It certainly seems that if I go away for 2 weeks or come home from work, my dog greets me exactly the same way. I think that the dog will NOT understand. But that doesn't mean things would turn out terribly either. The dog will likely NOT die of heartsickness, as long as things are happy for him/her. As long as there is someone to love them, walk them, feed them, they are going to be ok.

My mother's dog had no problem with the arrangement. In fact, lived with people in her house as she was in a assisted living home. She got used to everybody; got used to my sister comign and going; and the little stay at these great people's little farm. She also adjusted to moving to live with my sister. The dog is not a puppy, something like 10 or a bit older.

OF course, if you weren't careful things could work out not so well.

If you want help with this or just to talk it over, you can PM me. I have no idea why this is so contentious either.

My mom's dog did very well with a similar sort of situation. Several months, had arthritis, etc. (BTW, you should get shots in order, most people who would take dogs have some of their own. Perhaps quite a few.)
This situation would not work for a dog which was not good with other dogs.

--des

desdemona
05-08-2008, 23:37
Oh boy this forum needs an edit function. But I wanted to say there is a difference between liking other dogs and being able to tolerate them. You are probably not going to find a temporary situation if the dog is dog aggressive. Most people who would take a dog in will have other dogs. They are nuts about them and just want more and more around. So your dog does need to tolerate dogs for this to work out. If there are teeth, that won't work. I'm gathering not, since he has been on the trail in the past.

--des

yappy
05-09-2008, 00:33
I agree. Don't go and leave a 15 yr old dog to pine over you. As for the asinine comment about he is only a " pet "... you have got to be kidding right ? they are part of your family... and a dirt trail doesn't even come into the equation...last I checked a wild, beating heart far out weighs a long and winding piece of ground.

superman
05-09-2008, 09:20

You'll find the cat handcuffs in the cathouse.:welcome

plydem
05-09-2008, 16:41

You know, it's amazing. I can not be on this site for months and come back and see this guy is still just a heartless bastard. We already know you don't care about animals so why not just take that old advice and if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything?

However, I do agree with some of the comments made on this thread about trying to find a "temporary" place for the dog. You won't find a person who does doggie summer camps takiing in a dog aggressive dog (typical for JRT's) for four to six months. The way I see it, you have three choices:
1) Find a friend/family member/neighbor who doesn't have any other animals but likes your dog to take him in while you are away or who will come to your house three or four times a day to feed him/get him out, give him attention and make sure he is ok.
2) Look into long-term boarding. He probably won't like it but if you find a good one, they might give him extra attention. It will cost you but if it's long-term they might give you a discounted rate since it's almost guaranteed business.
3) Wait.

I don't really see any other choices unless you can find someoone on a JRT site that might be able to help. Good luck!

leeki pole
05-09-2008, 17:30
I agree. Don't go and leave a 15 yr old dog to pine over you. As for the asinine comment about he is only a " pet "... you have got to be kidding right ? they are part of your family... and a dirt trail doesn't even come into the equation...last I checked a wild, beating heart far out weighs a long and winding piece of ground.
This is one profound quote. Thanks Yappy, spot on.

CrumbSnatcher
05-09-2008, 20:20
i'm with you on this one yappy! well said.

desdemona
05-10-2008, 01:16
You know, it's amazing. I can not be on this site for months and come back and see this guy is still just a heartless bastard. We already know you don't care about animals so why not just take that old advice and if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything?

However, I do agree with some of the comments made on this thread about trying to find a "temporary" place for the dog. You won't find a person who does doggie summer camps takiing in a dog aggressive dog (typical for JRT's) for four to six months. The way I see it, you have three choices:
1) Find a friend/family member/neighbor who doesn't have any other animals but likes your dog to take him in while you are away or who will come to your house three or four times a day to feed him/get him out, give him attention and make sure he is ok.
2) Look into long-term boarding. He probably won't like it but if you find a good one, they might give him extra attention. It will cost you but if it's long-term they might give you a discounted rate since it's almost guaranteed business.
3) Wait.

I don't really see any other choices unless you can find someoone on a JRT site that might be able to help. Good luck!

Good points!
You probably know more about JKTs than I do. I am pretty used to a very gregarious dog that does love other dogs. (Although she might prefer herding them :rolleyes:). My mom's dog wasn't quite as sociable but still got along fine. I doubt a dog would be happy in the "summer camp" type setting, unless he is happy with other dogs, or at least happy enough to let them alone. It might be a nice option for some though.

I think you have the options pretty clearly outlined.

I personally wouldn't leave my dog (if elderly) but life is so uncertain. I could go away for two weeks and my cat could die. I might feel sad that I never said "good bye". I think you might have to think of this as well, but there are so many uncertainities you could go away for six months and everything is fine. And then go off for a couple days and the dog dies. I read something about how we chose to share our lives with creatures with such limited life spans... Just rambling with a few thoughts that might help you weigh things.

I don't take back any previous comments though.

--des

yappy
05-10-2008, 11:07
I have taken my dog and I have left her. I missed her terribly when I did. But, she can't do the miles anymore. I would be heartbroken if she died while I was gone. I just LOVE her so freaking much. I try to imagine my life without lulu and my mind stumbles...what a bleak thought. Crumb I know you lost you dog recently and, believe me, I understand.

superman
05-10-2008, 12:37

3) Wait.

I see a couple more options. Given the age and size of the dog the probability of the dog completing the AT is between slim and none...unless he carries it. My guess is that it wouldn't make it to Damascus. When it gives out he could save a re-supply by having a barbecue.
I hesitate to mention the other option because it's not as socially acceptable.:)

desdemona
05-10-2008, 23:29
I see a couple more options. Given the age and size of the dog the probability of the dog completing the AT is between slim and none...unless he carries it. My guess is that it wouldn't make it to Damascus. When it gives out he could save a re-supply by having a barbecue.
I hesitate to mention the other option because it's not as socially acceptable.:)

The only acceptable alternate food source is Soylent Green!!
:)

--des

superman
05-11-2008, 07:31
The only acceptable alternate food source is Soylent Green!!
:)

--des
That would be if he gives out before the dog.:D

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2009, 17:40

thats a beautiful dog!

leeki pole
08-04-2009, 18:36
I lost my Mom last November and my Dad lives by himself 320 miles from me. His dog is on his last legs. If something happens to his dog, I offered to give him my best Labrador. Mind you, I'm not hiking any time soon. Maybe you could arrange something like that, leaving a companion with a family member where therapy could be done as well as care giving. It would be very hard for me to give my companion up, but if it would benefit someone, I'd do it. And it would give me a reason to visit my Dad more often.

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2009, 19:40
sorry for your loss leeki pole. lost my dad when i was 15

SawnieRobertson
08-05-2009, 20:12
In 2003 I took my brown Standard Poodle, Claire, with me on the trail. This was not a thruhike, but it was a continuous living out there for four or more months, hiking as often as was feasible. (You will remember the 2003 rains, I'm sure.) Well, Claire started out loving me but objecting to any backpacker she saw. (Objecting loudly.) That's why we dropped onto the trail in New Jersey in April, few backpackers.) One day, when we were trying to hitch into a town, I quietly explained to her that people would like her better if she did not bark at them. She got it. She also took to heart my need for her to follow me down steep inclines instead of pulling my arm off as I tried to hold my balance. She had not got to stay home with my family because no one wanted to keep her although they did take beautiful care of my white Standard Poodle. What we got out of this was a much deeper, well developed relationship, and she has retained the lessons she learned--no more barking at people she sees off in the distance, following me up and down the stairs, obviously caring deeply for me. She is the essence of dignity. I worried about her the whole time we were out though. I never had that time to think that I do when I hike alone hour upon hour. That is, to me, the greatest value of long distance hiking. I plan to make a thru attempt in 2010. This time there will be no Claire. Neither will my silver Standard be along. I have found a great situation for them. Their groomer loves them, especially Claire. She and her husband will keep them in their house, love them, play with them for the entire time I am out. I will provide the food and any vet care that should develop. When I went to New Mexico for my knee surgery in January, we did this. All enjoyed it, and I did not feel bad because I knew that the situation could not be better. Win-Win.--Kinnickinic

Wise Old Owl
08-05-2009, 20:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotasmith http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=616333#post616333)

Flog the unbeliver! Castration isn't good enough.

Petr
08-05-2009, 20:51
Crossing a rickety wood-and-rope Indiana-Jones-style bridge are a repeat-offender child molester and a yellow Labrador leader dog for the blind (that the child molester stole from the blind person and intends to molest as soon as the bridge is crossed) when, suddenly, the rickety old bridge gives out. The child molester manages to grab hold of a withered, old plank and the dog clenches his jaw on the frayed rope that used to hold the now destroyed bridge together. You come upon this scene and have but the time and strength to save one. Do you reach for Lester's hand or for Rex's collar?

Ridiculous example, I know. But I know I feel that there are "pets" that are more than animal, and people who are less than human.

Petr
08-05-2009, 22:14
My first example may be a bit extreme, but I'm interested in WB'ers opinions on where the line is drawn on the relative value of animals/pets versus humans. At this point I'm pretty much hijacking the thread, so my apologies to the OP. I do, however, in my defense, hope to elicit an insightful discussion.

True life story #1: Chronologically after "true life story #2," below, I realized that I wanted for a pet a ridiculously large dog that was totally friendly, so I got myself a Newfie. My "gentle giant" is pretty dumb, dumbfoundingly hairy and slobbery, and as innocent as a newborn. One afternoon, I was walking him down the street and a blood-thirsty pit-bull came tearing (literally) through a screen door and promptly sinks his teeth into my unsuspecting dog's neck. I panic and yank on my leash and successfully disentangle the dogs, but the pit bull just latches back on. I hear a squealing of wheels and look towards the street, and, miraculously, a guy jumps out of his car with an F'in hammer, and runs up and starts pounding on the pit. The pit lets go of my dog, and the hammer guy screams at us to get the F out of the area, and I abide. Hammer guy jumps in his car and takes off. Police are called by the neighbors, a bunch of stuff happens, but the short version is that the owner of the dog is basically an unapologetic white-trash @ss-hole. The question: What punishment is more deserved, the euthanization of the poorly socialized, possibly purposefully-trained-to-be-aggressive pit, or the fining/incarceration of the dickhead owner? Neither happened by the way.

True life story #2: My ex and I adopted a one-year-old Neapolitan Mastiff from a family. I loved him to death and named him Special Agent Dale Cooper (just "Coop" on a daily basis). I didn't realize it at the time, but the family was abusive to the dog and he was, as they say, damaged goods. He had issues with men, especially tall men, and extra-especially with tall men who showed fear around him. There were several incidents of him being "benignly" aggressive towards men. And then he bit my brother's thigh on Christmas Eve without provocation. After we tried to rehabilitate him under the advice of vets and trainers, a few more incidents of "benign" bad behavior happened, which culminated with him aggressively cornering me when I tried to climb into bed with my ex. We -me, my ex, and my vet- decided that the only responsible course of action was to "put him down." It still keeps me up at night. Was it Coop's fault? The original owner's fault? My fault? All three? I don't know. People damaged him and he paid the price.

Ugghh. Don't like to think about it. I do believe that it's not ridiculous to consider the "feelings"/rights of animals and wonder whether or not we as humans are living up to the responsibility with which self-awareness/consciousness has burdened us. Pets are, after all, bred and kept voluntarily by us.

As a side note, I, also, recently posted a thread searching for solutions for caring for my pet while I abandon him to thru-hike; so I'm not trying to attack the OP. I mostly posted because MS's opinions seemed to bring up some interesting questions about the relative value of pets and I thought it was interesting.

Petr

CrumbSnatcher
08-05-2009, 22:27
i'll make it easy,i would of saved my dogs life first over anybody and everybody!!! just hang in there and i will get to you too.

Phreak
08-05-2009, 22:44
ill make it easy,i would of saved my dog life first over anybody and everybody!!! just hang in there and i will get to you too.
Agreed....

Nean
08-06-2009, 00:00
Crossing a rickety wood-and-rope Indiana-Jones-style bridge are a repeat-offender child molester and a yellow Labrador leader dog for the blind (that the child molester stole from the blind person and intends to molest as soon as the bridge is crossed) when, suddenly, the rickety old bridge gives out. The child molester manages to grab hold of a withered, old plank and the dog clenches his jaw on the frayed rope that used to hold the now destroyed bridge together. You come upon this scene and have but the time and strength to save one. Do you reach for Lester's hand or for Rex's collar?

Ridiculous example, I know. But I know I feel that there are "pets" that are more than animal, and people who are less than human.

You save the dog first,;) then you light the rope on fire :eek:-- in case you can't knock the molester loose w/ rocks.:banana Win , win. Too easy, next!:D

Frick Frack
08-06-2009, 08:27
Funny this post has returned. Guess what? We hiked for 5 months and the dog was totally fine. The dog in question that started this whole thread is in my lap right now and had a great time with Aunt Debbie at her Park A Pet in Blairsville, GA (which I found out about through another WB member). She took him into her house as her own and I owe her greatly. My wife and I had one of the trips of a lifetime and he was just fine back at home because he would have never made it and who knows when we might have had the opportunity to thru hike again. He is totally blind now and has lost probably 85-90% of his hearing but is still very healthy.

superman
08-06-2009, 10:12
As Winter aged, she stayed agile and powerful until the last few years. When we did a section of the Long Trail, I noticed that she was having a little more trouble on the climbs. She got through the section and still seemed to enjoy it but I took it as a heads up and from then on had her do easier and easier day hikes. She'd developed arthritis in her right rear leg and began taking Rimadyl. Even though if we touched her pack, on the dining room chair next to her bed, she was excited to go hike. I walked her twice almost every day and last fall I noticed something else going on. The first vet visit the problem wasn't seen and it was assumed that it was the arthritis. On the next visit, it was obvious and after some tests it was concluded that it was a brain tumor pressing on the part of the brain that controls balance and coordination. As the problem progressed she and I adjusted and compensated for her problem. I had set criteria for when I would call the Vet. It was simply when she lost her mobility and/or became incontinent. She didn't get worse in a continuous progression...it was more like her condition was declining as if going down stairs. On July 22 she was able to do the whole walk and then go up to her place by the flagpole in the front yard. On July 23rd she fell twice doing our morning walk. We got home and I lifted her down from my SUV. She tried to walk up to place by the flagpole but she couldn't keep her balance as she walked across the slanted driveway. She fell down and rolled down to the road. She was confused by what had happened. I picked her up and carried her to the flagpole but she wanted to go inside. I carried her in and she had all she could do to lay down on her bed. I made the call. I buried her in her favorite place by the flagpole.
Winter improved my life by a lot. "Just a pet" I don't ****en think so.

Blue Jay
08-06-2009, 11:13
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] As Winter aged, she stayed agile and powerful until the last few years. When we did a section of the Long Trail, I noticed that she was having a little more trouble on the climbs. She got trough the section and still seemed to enjoy it but I took it as a heads up and from then on had her do easier and easier day hikes. She'd developed arthritis in her right rear leg and began taking Rimadyl. Even though if we touched her pack, on the dining room chair next to her bed, she was excited to go hike.

I really really hope I'm reading this wrong? You did not continue to put a pack on her?

mudhead
08-06-2009, 12:42
I really really hope I'm reading this wrong? You did not continue to put a pack on her?

Have you ever had a dog? Not being sarcastic, but curious.

I can see wiggling the pack, or even letting it be worn, just to see the old dog smile, but I will let Sman answer that part.

superman
08-06-2009, 13:25

You're consistantly wrong.BJ

chief
08-06-2009, 15:57
As Winter aged....
Superman, thanks for sharing with us. I am very saddened to hear of Winter's passing. I have great memories of Winter and you from 2000. You two were a team as anyone could see.

chief

leeki pole
08-06-2009, 16:47
Yep and what really ticks me off is when somebody says, "it's just a dog."

They don't get it and they never will. You too, Smitty. You don't cuss a dog, if you steal a guy's wife, okay, but don't cuss a dog.

It is what it is.

CrumbSnatcher
08-06-2009, 16:57
I Know I'd Hike With Superman,leki,phreak,nean And A Few Others Anyday! Nothing Better Than Your Best Friend Along! Don't Get Me Wrong There Are Some Bad Dog Owners Out On The Trail! Its Not Hard To Spot Them. Feel Sorry For Alot Of The Dogs Out There! Its Not Just A Dog! If You Don't Know the difference- You Never will. thats really sad!

CrumbSnatcher
08-06-2009, 17:33
--------------------------------

yappy
08-06-2009, 23:57
" just a pet ".. Jesus. I don't much try to explain IT to folks that think like that. They won't get it EVER. I think they don't have the ability to see , really see. ya know ? Thier lives are spent chasing after things they can feel and touch. The elusive beauty of life goes right over their head. I just wish they didn't own an animal. Up here, in Alaska, dillweeds with dogs are a dime a dozen. People with compassion for animals not so much. But, I have pretty much surrounded myself these days with the cool folks who give a damn. Thank God.

DrRichardCranium
08-07-2009, 10:01
Sorry, haven't read the whole thread, but why not get a house sitter?

Thanks to the Internet, you can get house-sitting done for free. I'm just learning about this. I am also looking for a house sitter to take care of my house & 2 cats. I've gotten some good lead at Housecarers.com.

leeki pole
08-07-2009, 10:32
" just a pet ".. Jesus. I don't much try to explain IT to folks that think like that. They won't get it EVER. I think they don't have the ability to see , really see. ya know ? Thier lives are spent chasing after things they can feel and touch. The elusive beauty of life goes right over their head. I just wish they didn't own an animal. Up here, in Alaska, dillweeds with dogs are a dime a dozen. People with compassion for animals not so much. But, I have pretty much surrounded myself these days with the cool folks who give a damn. Thank God.
You know, when that Lab drops her head on your chest at 5am and gives you a big lick saying "it's time to walk," there ain't nothing better. I wake up with a smile every single morning.

mudhead
08-07-2009, 10:39
I had a 20lber that would stab me in the eye with a cold snotty nose if it was desperate. Broke it of that and it would put both little hooves on my chest and push down.

Creatures of habit, and don't you dare oversleep.

yappy
08-10-2009, 16:03
I agree leeki pole..:) my life is far richer becuz of my animals. in fact, lulu is the love of my life in many ways. I would fight a bear for her and probably die for that... hope I never gets tested. There are folks up here who let their dogs starve to death in their boxes... happens ALL the time. Alot of " mushers " up here never run the dogs. They languish on chains. I hear the lonely howls of frustration and boredom. it makes me want to go over there and chain them up... see how they like it.

Jan LiteShoe
08-18-2009, 21:01
As Winter aged, she stayed agile and powerful until the last few years. When we did a section of the Long Trail, I noticed that she was having a little more trouble on the climbs. She got through the section and still seemed to enjoy it but I took it as a heads up and from then on had her do easier and easier day hikes. She'd developed arthritis in her right rear leg and began taking Rimadyl. Even though if we touched her pack, on the dining room chair next to her bed, she was excited to go hike. I walked her twice almost every day and last fall I noticed something else going on. The first vet visit the problem wasn't seen and it was assumed that it was the arthritis. On the next visit, it was obvious and after some tests it was concluded that it was a brain tumor pressing on the part of the brain that controls balance and coordination. As the problem progressed she and I adjusted and compensated for her problem. I had set criteria for when I would call the Vet. It was simply when she lost her mobility and/or became incontinent. She didn't get worse in a continuous progression...it was more like her condition was declining as if going down stairs. On July 22 she was able to do the whole walk and then go up to her place by the flagpole in the front yard. On July 23rd she fell twice doing our morning walk. We got home and I lifted her down from my SUV. She tried to walk up to place by the flagpole but she couldn't keep her balance as she walked across the slanted driveway. She fell down and rolled down to the road. She was confused by what had happened. I picked her up and carried her to the flagpole but she wanted to go inside. I carried her in and she had all she could do to lay down on her bed. I made the call. I buried her in her favorite place by the flagpole.
Winter improved my life by a lot. "Just a pet" I don't ****en think so.

Oh Superman, I am sorry to hear this, although I know our time will come to us all. You two were such an inseparable team.
I haven't been on here regularly through the summer, so I just read this. I am so sorry to hear about your white shepherd friend. I am glad I had a chance to meet Winter, on one of my very first multi-day backpacks. I think it was the road crossing near Shady valley, on the way north into damascus. You guys were sitting at the picnic table there, and you gave her a drink from a square-bottomed Zip-lock bag.

She was a fine gal, lean, friendly, every inch a lady. I know how hard it must be to say good-bye to such a fine companion, and thru-hiker dogs are a very special breed. The bonding that must come from such an intense trek together would be hard to duplicate.

I'm glad you told your story. I'm sorry you've lost her.