PDA

View Full Version : Gear List Help Please

VeganPi
05-06-2008, 11:11
Hi, I decided I should look over all of my gear since I'm leaving for my thru (flip-flopping) in a week. I put everything (clothes and shoes included) except food and water in my pack and it is about 19 pounds...so I guess that is the skin-out weight. If I take out the minimum clothes I'll be wearing and take out my shoes, my pack is at 15/16 pounds without food and water. For what it's worth, I'm a 100 pound female. I'm okay with my pack weight, but am always happy to shed a bit more weight if I can! Thanks!

*Moonbow Gearskin pack
*pack cover (blaze orange for hunting areas, I have a grey one for everywhere else, I'll only carry one)
*North Face Cat's Meow women's bag
*Hennessy Hammack, A-Sym
*Thermarest RidgeRest Regular length with ~7 inches cut off (will cut it to 3/4 length once I'm sure I'll be warm enough)
*2 heavy duty garbage bags - contractor ones I think

*convertable pants
*long underwear bottoms (fleece to start then I'll trade to lighter ones)
*long sleeved top - medium weight
*short sleeved top
*3 pairs of socks
*2 pairs of sock liners
*2 pairs of underwear
*1 sportsbra
*fleece jacket (heavyweight to start, will trade for lightweight later)
*Marmot rain jacket - precip or whatever it is
**will look for a rain skirt as well, I don't think I want rain pants
*2 bandanas
*tilley hat

*Merrell trail runners
*Crocs
*REI ultralight trekking poles with rubber tips added

*Jetboil + fuel (I'm thinking 2 small cannisters, or maybe 1 sm+1 big)
*REI TiWare spoon
*little army-style can opener
*MSR HyperFlow pump (without the bottle adapter piece, just the pump and pre-filter)
*some sort of water carrier, those clear roll-up bladders and a gatorade bottle most likely
*Leatherman Squirt S4
*Suunto A-10 compass
*Petzl headlamp
*whistle
*photon light
*cell phone + iGo charger wall unit and battery unit
*2-4 AA batteries
*iPod??
*digital camera + charger

*Pro Tick Remedy tick remover doohicky
*insect repellent
*vitamins (1/2 a day for as many days as I need between mail drops)
*toothbrush + travelsized paste + floss
*pop-up hairbrush that has mirror on it
*first aid kit (bandaidsx10, butterflyx5, itch cream, neosporin, immodiumx3, ibuprofin-small bottle, needle that will fit floss)
* toilet paper + a few baby wipes
*soap, small Dr. Bronners probably
*tiny dropper of bleach and a couple of water treatment tablets

*Sea to Summit evacdrysack for food
*food for 4-6 days in ziplocks
*rope to bear bag (need to buy this still)

bigmac_in
05-06-2008, 11:21
Looks like a great list to me - if you are comfortable with it, that is the important part. You can drive yourself crazy trimming weight - carry what you feel you need, but ditch the unnecessary.

Personally, I leave a little more behind each time I go out, but there are things I won't go without.

Wags
05-06-2008, 11:42
i'd suggest a small keychain sized pepperspray.

i use a product called 'first aid creme' by, i think, johnson and johnson. it works well in place of neosporin and i put it on 'ichy stuff' like poison/bug bites as well. may lighten your load a few ounces if you can find a similar product that does the job of both

VeganPi
05-06-2008, 14:04
You can drive yourself crazy trimming weight - carry what you feel you need, but ditch the unnecessary.

Personally, I leave a little more behind each time I go out, but there are things I won't go without.

Thanks...I'm kinda going on that idea. I figure I can mail anything home as I realize it isn't being used.

i'd suggest a small keychain sized pepperspray.

i use a product called 'first aid creme' by, i think, johnson and johnson. it works well in place of neosporin and i put it on 'ichy stuff' like poison/bug bites as well. may lighten your load a few ounces if you can find a similar product that does the job of both

I've considered and reconsidered pepperspray. I decided that I'm not comfortable carrying it. My boyfriend is looking into getting a mini air horn for me to carry...it would make him feel better!

I'm definitely going to look for the 'first aid creme'...a double use product is a plus.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am taking ID/credit card/insurance card and maps/pages from the trail guide. I cut my maps down a lot and am only taking the pages I need from the guide. I'll mail drop them as needed. Also I'll have a small 3"x5" notebook to journal in.

clured
05-06-2008, 17:13
Hi, I decided I should look over all of my gear since I'm leaving for my thru (flip-flopping) in a week. I put everything (clothes and shoes included) except food and water in my pack and it is about 19 pounds...so I guess that is the skin-out weight. If I take out the minimum clothes I'll be wearing and take out my shoes, my pack is at 15/16 pounds without food and water. For what it's worth, I'm a 100 pound female. I'm okay with my pack weight, but am always happy to shed a bit more weight if I can! Thanks!

*Moonbow Gearskin pack
*pack cover (blaze orange for hunting areas, I have a grey one for everywhere else, I'll only carry one)
*North Face Cat's Meow women's bag
*Hennessy Hammack, A-Sym
*Thermarest RidgeRest Regular length with ~7 inches cut off (will cut it to 3/4 length once I'm sure I'll be warm enough)
*2 heavy duty garbage bags - contractor ones I think

*convertable pants
*long underwear bottoms (fleece to start then I'll trade to lighter ones)
*long sleeved top - medium weight
*short sleeved top
*3 pairs of socks
*2 pairs of sock liners
*2 pairs of underwear
*1 sportsbra
*fleece jacket (heavyweight to start, will trade for lightweight later)
*Marmot rain jacket - precip or whatever it is
**will look for a rain skirt as well, I don't think I want rain pants
*2 bandanas
*tilley hat

*Merrell trail runners
*Crocs
*REI ultralight trekking poles with rubber tips added

*Jetboil + fuel (I'm thinking 2 small cannisters, or maybe 1 sm+1 big)
*REI TiWare spoon
*little army-style can opener
*MSR HyperFlow pump (without the bottle adapter piece, just the pump and pre-filter)
*some sort of water carrier, those clear roll-up bladders and a gatorade bottle most likely
*Leatherman Squirt S4
*Suunto A-10 compass
*Petzl headlamp
*whistle
*photon light
*cell phone + iGo charger wall unit and battery unit
*2-4 AA batteries
*iPod??
*digital camera + charger

*Pro Tick Remedy tick remover doohicky
*insect repellent
*vitamins (1/2 a day for as many days as I need between mail drops)
*toothbrush + travelsized paste + floss
*pop-up hairbrush that has mirror on it
*first aid kit (bandaidsx10, butterflyx5, itch cream, neosporin, immodiumx3, ibuprofin-small bottle, needle that will fit floss)
* toilet paper + a few baby wipes
*soap, small Dr. Bronners probably
*tiny dropper of bleach and a couple of water treatment tablets

*Sea to Summit evacdrysack for food
*food for 4-6 days in ziplocks
*rope to bear bag (need to buy this still)

Looks good. If you want to cut, start with what's bolded.

Blissful
05-06-2008, 17:45
Weight is in ounces that leads to Lbs - Can leave home if you want can opener, batteries (can get in towns), sock liners (don't need with trail runners), photon light, only need one garbage bag, don't need rubber tips for poles
If you are plannng drops, use a bounce box for all the chargers. If your electronic runs on batteries, leave the other chargers at home, or if you plan to charge batteries, bounce it.
Sunscreen
One large can of fuel should be fine - not sure where you are starting, you can also mail fuel canisters.

Keep alert in your surroundings and go by your instincts is really your best defense.

Christopher Robin
05-06-2008, 18:00
No cap or pot,glovers or liners, need light cap. Keep the compass & you need 4 bandaids, 1-2 steirod pads, bandanas, vitamins, water pump, tweesers instead of tick kit, 2 AA's, most of the time 1 small canister would last for 2 meals x 5 or 6 days if you are solo. Wish you Gog Speed & hope we meet on the trail, I'm starting SOBO the end of June.

mountain squid
05-06-2008, 18:40
List looks very good, very thorough. Some observations:

hand sanitizer
ear plugs
duct tape
writing utensil
does your water carrier have a drinking tube? it is nice to drink without stopping
consider an alcohol stove instead of the Jet Boil

See you on the trail,
mt squid

VeganPi
05-07-2008, 08:48
Thanks for the ideas.

I'm going to cut my first aid kit in half. I'm leaving the vitamins home and will take an Emergen-C pack or two a day instead. Maybe not less weight, but much easier on my stomach. I'll leave one garbage bag at home. I'll take the lighter long-underwear and get in my sleeping bag if they aren't warm enough at nite! I'm going to try my shoes without the sock liners and will decide whether to take/leave them. My feet sweat a lot and the liners seem to make a difference.

I'll add: earplugs and a warm hat and some thin gloves

I have and forgot to list: hand sanitizer, pencil, duct tape

How much duct tape should I take? I'll make a mini-tape roll with it off of our huge roll at home.

Time To Fly 97
05-07-2008, 10:12
Good list. I carried pepper spray and never even came close to using it. The mini-air horn idea is just....well, lol

Happy hiking!

TTF

shoe
05-21-2008, 18:48
Just curious as to where you are starting from?

skinny minnie
05-22-2008, 11:54
You could wrap the duct tape around your water bottle or trekking pole a few times (although it doesn't look like you are using poles)

No to the tick remover - your squirt has tweezers. No to the pepper spray and the air horn. (I'm your size and age and would opt against these. But then again, I would also opt to not sleep in shelters for the most part. I feel like shelters and trailhead areas are where you should be most vigilant, although you should be vigilant at all times.)

Moleskin would be a good first aid addition maybe, and also sunscreen. You could try just Aqua Mira/a filter instead of a pump. If you're bringing a head lamp, I'm not sure if there is a real need for a photon light as well. Or vice versa. Pick just one. I'd probably go with the headlamp since having your hands free is always nice.

I didn't see matches or a lighter on your list. You might want them just in case.

And can opener? Are you planning on packing canned food? Because it's typically heavier. I'd say no to that as well.

take-a-knee
05-22-2008, 14:19
Your bag/pad will give you fits in that hammock. To use a thermarest in a Hennessy hammock, you'll need a Segmented Pad extender from Speer Hammocks, the 2+2 model should fit you. A thermarest will quickly squirt out from under you with out it and you'll wake up freezing. A cat's meow will work as a quilt but there are better options, I use a Feathered Friends Rock Wren (it has a drawstring foot, so you can wear it around camp, and enter and exit the hammock with ease).

I should add that the JRB 3-season set, comprised of the No-Sniveler topquilt and the Nest underquilt is the gold standard for a hennessy hammock. A JRB hood or a Bozeman Mountain balaclava are essential for temps below 40 with any quilt in a hammock.

Check out www.hammockforums.com for hammock info

hopefulhiker
05-22-2008, 15:00
What Take a Knee said.. Hammocks can get cold.. They have those weather shields you can add a layer under the hammock,using clothes and stuff..to keep warm...Unless you planning to stay in shelters..
Otherwise it looks real good... Good luck!

deeddawg
05-22-2008, 15:19
Will a Ridgerest squirt out like the self-inflating pads do if you don't let them deflate a litte? Since my Z-lite stays put, I'd have thought the Ridgerest would be similar.

As for the 20" width, it isn't a problem for me, but I'm pretty thin. In truly cold weather I switch to a wider blue foamy I picked up at Target.

Squeamish
05-22-2008, 16:02
What about the tent?

take-a-knee
05-22-2008, 16:03
Will a Ridgerest squirt out like the self-inflating pads do if you don't let them deflate a litte? Since my Z-lite stays put, I'd have thought the Ridgerest would be similar.

As for the 20" width, it isn't a problem for me, but I'm pretty thin. In truly cold weather I switch to a wider blue foamy I picked up at Target.

I'm 5'8"/#170 and I need a pad at least 28" wide from shoulders to hips, this keeps your arms from compressing your bag and making a cold spot. So the pad gets trimmed in the shape of a coffin, 20" wide at the foot, up to 28" at the hips and trim the top corners. Ed Speer at Speer Hammocks sells an evazote pad 30"x72". Gossamer Gear and Oware sell 40x60" evazote pads. Nothing is lighter than evazote for equivalent warmth.

Having said all that, some people can't sleep directly on top of a pad with a top quilt, they wake up in a puddle of sweat, these folks have to use an underquilt. You have to try and find out for yourself. I can use a pad/quilt with no problem.