PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Baltoro?

Neurosis
05-06-2008, 12:10
Simple question, would this work for a thru-hike or should I think about upgrading?

http://www.rei.com/product/757777

jersey joe
05-06-2008, 12:14
Simple question, would this work for a thru-hike or should I think about upgrading?

http://www.rei.com/product/757777

At 5lbs 9oz it's on the heavy side, but I hiked with heavier and at times you will be happy to have the added padding/space. All depends on personal preference. Sure you can hike with this...

...and the tag line that REI provides makes it sound sooooo good...
Backpacker April '08 says the Gregory Baltoro pack ''...makes 50 pounds feel downright feathery.''

Egads
05-06-2008, 12:25
Don't think of it as upgrading...Think of it as a metamorphosis and a change of philosophy. Go light.

I have the 5lb-9oz Gregory Baltoro and it can carry a trunk load and the kitchen sink too all day w/o discomfort. But that does not make it the right pack for you.

You have to determine your hiking style. By hiking style; do you want to hike comfortably or camp comfortably? Buy all your other gear including bag, pad, stove & then get the pack. I can pack <12 lbs skin out and still be safe & comfortable, My Baltoro hangs in the closet while I use either a Gossamer Gear G4 or ULA Catalyst.

Not only is the comfortable weight important, so is volume. I like a relatively large pack so my down doesn't get over compressed.

Try them on with your gear before deciding.

Use the search engine on the tool bar to search Whiteblaze threads on packs.

Also follow this link to the backpack comparison chart.

Egads
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8179

fiddlehead
05-06-2008, 23:48
there are no rules! BUT, the heavier the load you are carrying, the less chance you have of making it without injury to achieve your goals. (i'm talking about a thru-hike, not weekending it)
Most hikers who quit due to injury, get injured from the knees down, so having a pack that fits you comfortably still wears and tears on those joints below your waist whether your shoulders are feeling great or not.

You are 21 years old. It'll probably be fine. I carried 40 lbs on my thru back when i was 27. Had a little discomfort and sore ankles and bones and feet but got over it ok.
Now that i'm older, i take all the weight out that i can (except my guitar of course, but that only weighs 2 lbs)
I would guess that if you buy this pack and use it for a thru-hike, whether you make it or not, you would probably go out and buy a different pack on your next thru.

karoberts
05-06-2008, 23:52
I have one. It's good for many hikes but too heavy for an AT thru-hike.

SweetAss03
05-07-2008, 00:21
I third/fourth whatever it is, it is a good pack from a good company. BUT it is way to heavy. Look for something in the 2-3 pound range. Understand however that you need to have gear that is light in order for a lighter pack to work.

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a smaller pack for my thru. I didn't know. Now I would do my hike with a pack in the 2200-2400 cube range.

Good luck, there are lots of ideas out there these are just ours!

SweetAss

rpenczek
05-07-2008, 11:58
I just down sized from a Gregory Whitney to a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridain. I orderd the Nimbus Meridian with a belt from Granite Gear's next level of pack (heavier capacity). This was a $12 upgrade and adds a little weight, but not much. The belt is much more substantial than the one that comes with the Meridian and has an exoskelaton.

I have not had it on the trail yet (next weekend maybe), but am sure it is big enough (3600 CI up to 4200) and will carry the bulk and weight I generally carry.

My Whitney (same suspension at the Baltoro) is very very comfortable, but I am looking forward to a 4 pound decrease in weight, we will see if the Meridian is as comfortable and up to the task.

Squeamish
05-12-2008, 17:50
(Personal note here) Hey mr. penczek!! Can you guess who it is?

Anyway:
tried on the baltoro and did not like it. Go with the GG Nimbus Meridian, I hiked with it a couple of weekends ago and it felt great after fiddiling around with the straps a bit.

taildragger
05-12-2008, 19:18
My Whitney (same suspension at the Baltoro) is very very comfortable, but I am looking forward to a 4 pound decrease in weight, we will see if the Meridian is as comfortable and up to the task.

I have a whitney as well, and the poundage increase moving up to it wasn't noticed (then again, I have recently slashed weight everywhere else).

That being said, go with the pack that fits your needs. If I were to do it again, I'd probly get something like the ULA conduit, should be able to fit all my gear in there.

johnarthur39
05-13-2008, 19:19
I just picked up a 2008 Baltoro and like it alot. It is not the lightest pack on the market but it is not the heaviest either. I am always interested to read the recommendations on pack size. Many go with much smaller, lighter, and less structured packs than I do. One of the issues to look at is where they are hiking. I have seen a posts discuss packs for winter loads only to realize that the posters are in places like Alabama or Florida. What passes for a winter load there is not the same as in New Hampshire or Maine. This is a long way of saying that I like the pack and I value the comfort and stability. As long as I am careful with the rest of my load, I don't think the weight of this pack is a problem.

joshua5878
12-12-2008, 18:25
Just came from a local outfitter here in Gainesville FL, test drove a Baltoro 70 loaded w/ 45 pounds. Didn't want to take it off. I am 6'3". I mean it was cushy! Felt great! I went there to buy an Opsrey.

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 18:38
Just came from a local outfitter here in Gainesville FL, test drove a Baltoro 70 loaded w/ 45 pounds. Didn't want to take it off. I am 6'3". I mean it was cushy! Felt great! I went there to buy an Opsrey.45lbs I would want to take off any pack.

karoberts
12-13-2008, 13:36
I have one. I would not take it on the AT. Too heavy.

Jack Tarlin
12-13-2008, 14:31
I was at an Outdoor trade show in Utah this past August, where I had the chance to examine this backpack.

I also had the chance to get professionally fitted into the pack.

The guy who did the fitting, and who spent more than an hour with me doing this, was Wayne Gregory.

He is an extraordinary gentleman, and in my opinion, this is a great backpack.

Is it heavier than what most people take on the A.T.?

Yup, absolutely.

Is it a better-made, and more comfortable pack than most people take on the A.T.?

I've never thru-hiked in a Gregory, but if I were to go again, I think I'd be very happy with the Baltoro.

Great company, great backpack.

Yup, absolutely.

A-Train
12-13-2008, 16:48
I was at an Outdoor trade show in Utah this past August, where I had the chance to examine this backpack.

I also had the chance to get professionally fitted into the pack.

The guy who did the fitting, and who spent more than an hour with me doing this, was Wayne Gregory.

He is an extraordinary gentleman, and in my opinion, this is a great backpack.

Is it heavier than what most people take on the A.T.?

Yup, absolutely.

Is it a better-made, and more comfortable pack than most people take on the A.T.?

I've never thru-hiked in a Gregory, but if I were to go again, I think I'd be very happy with the Baltoro.

Great company, great backpack.

Yup, absolutely.

I believe he moved the company HQ from Temecula to SLC.

Anyway, yes I highly recommend this pack! I probably sold more of these than any other pack. If interested in this model, one might also wanna check out the Triconi, which I believe is a bit smaller.

I would never thru-hike a long trail with a pack this big and heavy, but if you require the support, it is a hell of a pack.

buz
12-13-2008, 19:53
i agree on the fit of this pack. Great. I almost bought one, but the weight penalty swayed me. I am sure it would be fine, but 2-4 pounds is, ....... well 2-4 pounds lol. If for some reason your haul weight is in the 30+ pounds, this pack is bomber.

Jack Tarlin
12-14-2008, 19:11
Wow, what's up with the "extraordinary Mormon gentleman" remark?

What on earth does someone's faith have to do with anything here?

Would you describe someone as a "fine Jewish businessman" or "an exemplary Methodist manufacturer"?

Um, no, you wouldn't. And no, you shouldn't.

Mr. Gregory is a fine gentleman, period, and I really don't think his religion is anyone's business.

NCYankee
12-16-2008, 14:40
I picked up a Baltoro and it weighs in on the high side of 5lbs. I actually consider this to be quite a light pack but I am also coming from a mid 90's Dana Design Terraplane (pre buyout era).
There are a lot of things that you can do to save poundage and I am no ultralight mavon but I do like to save weight. For me saving the three pounds over my Dana while still having something that is comfortable works well. My Dana would haul 80lb loads with no problem in relative comfort for me. My Gregory rides nicely... it's not Dana but it wasn't in the $400 range that the Danas were back in the day either.
I think it is a good move... If you're not an ultralight purist you can save the weight in other places... hopefully.

Yukon
12-16-2008, 15:05
I love my Baltoro 70, I tried on a lot of different packs before I decided to buy this one. It's extremely durable, rides like no other pack I have carried, and the pocket layout is great. I would recommend this pack to anyone. I regularly carry around 40+ pounds so this pack was what I wanted. But I'm also bigger than the average male at 6'-6" tall, 230 pounds, and only 30 years old. So carrying 40 pounds is rather easy to me, even on long days.