PDA

View Full Version : Does General Delivery work for small envelopes?

TwoForty
05-06-2008, 12:42
I wanted to mail databook pages along the trail to post offices in an effort to not use a bounce box. Does General Delivery generally work with smaller envelopes?

emerald
05-06-2008, 14:36
It's likely no different now than it was years when I made use of it. I still have in my possession 2 letters sent to me general delivery by my grandmother when I hiked from Amicalola Falls to Katahdin.

Call your local post office and ask them. I asked friends or family to write "Please hold for AT hiker" on it. It might also be advisable to indicate an approximate arrival date.

emerald
05-06-2008, 14:43
A Data Book isn't heavy. I'd just carry it.

If you don't want to keep it as a memento filled with notes, tear out the pages and burn them in a safe manner. Burning your last pages could be part of the closing ceremonies upon completion of your hike.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2008, 14:45
I wanted to mail databook pages along the trail to post offices in an effort to not use a bounce box. Does General Delivery generally work with smaller envelopes?

yes it does

Blissful
05-06-2008, 17:51
Sure, people can mail you letters, cards, etc General Delivery, so it's the same thing. I got ours just fine.

Appalachian Tater
05-06-2008, 18:42
Yes, but be cautioned that post offices on trails other than the A.T. may not be familiar with the concept of "General Delivery" and may not even understand clear instructions about holding a package for pickup.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2008, 22:35
Yes, but be cautioned that post offices on trails other than the A.T. may not be familiar with the concept of "General Delivery" and may not even understand clear instructions about holding a package for pickup.

uh, yes ALL post offices are aware of what "general delivery" is. it's what they do :rolleyes:

Pirate
05-07-2008, 07:47

Suck up and carry the book you pansy. Mail drops don't work.

Lone Wolf
05-07-2008, 07:49
Suck up and carry the book you pansy. Mail drops don't work.

you mean bastard

Spokes
01-19-2012, 16:17
Yes it does BUT most Post Offices keep General Delivery packages and General Delivery envelopes in separate places so be sure to ask the clerk to look for an envelope!

I missed several envelopes family and friends sent me and only discovered this trick after a helpful postal clerk told me about it. They typically associate thru-hikers with packages/boxes not envelopes.