PDA

View Full Version : Winding stair gap

padlnrun
05-06-2008, 14:02
Could someone tell me if it would be safe to leave a car overnight at winding stair gap or wayah crest either one?

thanks

Hikes in Rain
05-06-2008, 14:06
I did, at Winding Stair, several years ago. Didn't have any issues then. Have to admit, though, it made me a bit nervous. That area does seem remote and exposed.

Newb
05-06-2008, 14:50
Just get a shuttle from town.

steve43
05-06-2008, 14:58
i've left a vehicle there numerous times and never had a problem, but i have heard of cases of vandalism reported there. fifo

bloodmountainman
05-06-2008, 15:51
Put your car at Rock Gap. Good parking spot... On the way to Standing Indian Campground. Forest Service Enforcement patrol there. Pick up trail there and it's less than a mile to Winding Stair.

Summit
05-06-2008, 17:20
Put your car at Rock Gap. Good parking spot... On the way to Standing Indian Campground. Forest Service Enforcement patrol there. Pick up trail there and it's less than a mile to Winding Stair.I agree, except it's less than a mile to Wallace Gap, 4 miles south of Winding Stair Gap, and much less traffic. There is a lot of traffic across Winding Stair Gap (US 64) and vandalism prevention is an odds game - less people who eyeball your vehicle, the less chances of someone deciding to vandalize it.

bloodmountainman
05-06-2008, 17:30
Summit, are you refering to road miles as 4? Trail miles seem to be a lot less.

Summit
05-06-2008, 17:46
Summit, are you refering to road miles as 4? Trail miles seem to be a lot less."Appalachian Pages" has Rock Gap at 103.8 and Winding Stair Gap at 107.6 or 3.8 miles. Wallace Gap (Old 64, Old Murphy Rd) is .8 miles beyond Rock Gap. ;) Six years in a row I spent a week camping at Standing Indian Campground when my son was very little. I know that area pretty well, having done all the loop hikes in, out, and around there many times.

bloodmountainman
05-06-2008, 18:06
"Appalachian Pages" has Rock Gap at 103.8 and Winding Stair Gap at 107.6 or 3.8 miles. Wallace Gap (Old 64, Old Murphy Rd) is .8 miles beyond Rock Gap. ;) Six years in a row I spent a week camping at Standing Indian Campground when my son was very little. I know that area pretty well, having done all the loop hikes in, out, and around there many times.
You are right sir! I had Wallace Gap and Winding Stair confused! It's been awhile since I was there. The last time I parked at Rock Gap and headed south around the loop.

stumpy
05-06-2008, 18:32
Those 4 miles are a pretty easy walk. I would park at Rock Gap, or park in town and get a shuttle. (Ron Haven maybe):D

Summit
05-06-2008, 18:37
You are right sir! I had Wallace Gap and Winding Stair confused! It's been awhile since I was there. The last time I parked at Rock Gap and headed south around the loop.I used to do that until I discovered the little secret of Long Branch Trail. Next time try it. Drive on down beyond Standing Indian Campground. Park in the Backcountry Parking lot (even safer than Rock Gap) where the pavement ends, and directly across the FS road is the trailhead of Long Branch Trail. It's a beautiful 2 mile stretch of trail along Long Branch Creek - hits the AT at Glassmine Gap. You lose a couple of miles of hiking (vs. doing the Rock Gap thing), but it's a very dull stretch between Glassmine and Rock Gaps.

Less than half a mile before you come to the AT on Long Branch Trail, you pop out into a beautiful cleared field. Great for camping on a full moon night. There is good ol' Long Branch Creek right along the tree line of the field for water. Or if you prefer, just go a few hundred more yards and you'll come to another excellent campsite on Long Branch Creek in the woods, just a few hundred yards below the AT. It's a very easy uphill grade to that point, and then the last couple hundred yards up to the AT at Glassmine Gap are steep. I love this side trail and campsites! Then head south around the loop, down Kimsey Creek, pass through the campground and you're back at your car, without having to hike back up the paved road to Rock Gap! ;)