PDA

View Full Version : REI "sale"

daibutsu
05-06-2008, 15:33
Just a heads-up. Just got back from my local REI where there is a pretty good sale going on through May 11. Just be advised that if they run out at that store, there is no 'raincheck,' or transfer from another store. It is as the Mgr. said "limited to stock on hand." So out of the three items I was looking for all were gone, we used to call that "bait and switch."

deeddawg
05-06-2008, 15:43
Why not just order the items REI.com and select "ship-to-store" for free shipping?

daibutsu
05-06-2008, 16:23
What I needed primarily were sandals and a Steripen. Generally I like to by shoes and clothes by trying them on, but I really like just to go get what I buy. I still wonder why REI would spend so much money on mailing rather expensine snailmail ads when they really don't stock their stores. Why not just say, "online only"? What do I know, I'm just a consumer! Anyhow, someone responded RE: SteriPen and said the solar charger option in BS anyhow. You have to remove two button batteries and put them in the little solar charger each time, and they really don't charge well. I guess that's why they're so cheap now. Now I just don't like making unnecessary trips.

Summit
05-06-2008, 17:09
I provided a heads up on this sale a week ago here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36319

All sales anywhere are first come, first served. If you want the savings, order online if the store is out. Then if it doesn't fit, take it to the store (wait until they restock) and you can exchange an online purchase in-store for same item, different size. Lots of options! ;) :)

envirodiver
05-06-2008, 17:30
Just a heads-up. Just got back from my local REI where there is a pretty good sale going on through May 11. Just be advised that if they run out at that store, there is no 'raincheck,' or transfer from another store. It is as the Mgr. said "limited to stock on hand." So out of the three items I was looking for all were gone, we used to call that "bait and switch."

No, not bait and switch. That is when people advertise something with no intent to have it on hand to be able to sell you something else. Most reasonable people understand that when there is a huge sale that certain items sell very quickly and run out regardless of how many they have on hand initially. They may partially restock during the sale also. It's called limited stock on hand and order from the distribution center. You can order it at the sale price and have it shipped to the store at no additional cost.

REI and hardly anyone else does rainchecks anymore.

daibutsu
05-06-2008, 17:45
I guess I'm just a dinosaur: Why not just limit it to ordering the items online? I'm seeing on a biking site the same question. I really don't think they had much of anything in their stores. If you order it online and it gets sent to the store why can't they just order it when you're actually there for you and then you return? It's two trips; the first for the customer to have to look at their other merchandise. That in this consumerosaurous vernacular is "bait and switch."

Summit
05-06-2008, 17:54
I think you're being completely unrealistic about the whole thing . . . expecting REI to have "crystal ball" guessed how many units of "xyz" that you wanted needed to be on hand when the sale started, so as to have one of each left when you showed up mid-week of a huge sale! Get real! :) :p

envirodiver
05-06-2008, 17:58
I guess I'm just a dinosaur: Why not just limit it to ordering the items online? I'm seeing on a biking site the same question. I really don't think they had much of anything in their stores. If you order it online and it gets sent to the store why can't they just order it when you're actually there for you and then you return? It's two trips; the first for the customer to have to look at their other merchandise. That in this consumerosaurous vernacular is "bait and switch."

daibutsu you are wrong and do not know what you are talking about. There was more merchandise in the stores prior to this sale, than I have ever seen. There was no room for anything else in the TN store. This has been the biggest sale ever and set record sales numbers Saturday. So for you to wait until the sale is 5 days old and go in expecting the store to have everything that is in the brochure in ample quantities, in your size, is ridiculous. You can always pick up the phone and call ahead to see if what you want is there. That way you can't possibly be enticed into buying something you didn't go for.

Order on-line and have it shipped to the store. when you go pick it up, if you don't like it return it immediately for a refund. You are aware that REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. That way you only have to be in the store one time, can put blinders on and run back to customer service to pick up your package.

Roland
05-06-2008, 18:07
daibutsu you are wrong and do not know what you are talking about. ~

Daibutsu voiced his opinion.
You disagree with his opinion.
In the first sentence of your rebuttal, you essentially called Daibutsu a moron.

Do you think you swayed his opinion?

daibutsu
05-06-2008, 18:08
Maybe, so i drive there needlessly, return home, go online, order it, go back, and hope they have it? Why not just admit we don't really stock this item so just order it online and save a trip? Or if they like 'good faith' and repeat business, just order one for me and I still have to return. They still made me come out there look at all their stuff they show the initiative and simply order the three items and I still have to return.

-----------------------
My avatar and closing don't profess any link to divine guidance or intrepretation: I'm just a simple person making simple money, buying simplethings, involved in simple sports.

daibutsu
05-06-2008, 18:11
Actually, I am a low moron. With meds. I function as a high moron

envirodiver
05-06-2008, 18:12
[quote=Roland;615826]Daibutsu voiced his opinion.
You disagree with his opinion.
In the first sentence of your rebuttal, you essentially called Daibutsu a moron.
quote]

His was not an opinion it was an accusation of wrong doing. I don't care if I swayed his opinion or not. It is a matter of setting the record straight regarding the intent of REI. He did not know what he was talking about with respect to trying to baiut and switch.

Hey if the shoe fits...

Roland
05-06-2008, 18:13
Actually, I am a low moron. With meds. I function as a high moron

.....but with a sense of humor. That's a good thing.

daibutsu
05-06-2008, 18:22
WAIT a minute!!! Your store in TN was well stocked, the guy here in Rockville told me 'we had a meeting about what to say this weekend when we don't have anything, we ran out last Saturday, Sunday already people were pissed." That is not a real quote, that is a paraphrasion. I'm not complaining anymore, nor entertaining your dissention!! Let's see if i'm alone in this. I'm tired of corporate crap. God speed, blur skies, good luck!!!

envirodiver
05-06-2008, 18:24
Maybe, so i drive there needlessly, return home, go online, order it, go back, and hope they have it? Why not just admit we don't really stock this item so just order it online and save a trip? Or if they like 'good faith' and repeat business, just order one for me and I still have to return. They still made me come out there look at all their stuff they show the initiative and simply order the three items and I still have to return. My avatar and closing don't profess any link to divine guidance or intrepretation: I'm just a simple person making simple money, buying simplethings, involved in simple sports.

Now I have no idea what you are saying. They have computer kiosks there in the store where you can order it, or the people in customer service would be most happy to order it for you, and have it delivered to the store, you pay $0 shipping fee that way.

I assure you that REI stocks every item in that sale brouchure. Your continued contintion that they do not, and advertise items at reduced prices just to get folks in the store is ridiculous. They will not admit doing that because your assertion that they do is totally false. Again I state that you do not know what you are talking about.

Jeez if they are so bad about bait and switch, just order it at home and pick it up at the store when it comes in. Try it on while still in the store...if it doesn't fit return it get a refund and leave. If it fits go home happy. Sounds like 1 trip to me.

I've found working in retail that there are some people that are so special that everything must be catered exactly to them, and some people that are rude and you can not please them regardless of what you do. My guess is that you fall into one of these catagories.

-----------------------

envirodiver
05-06-2008, 18:28
WAIT a minute!!! Your store in TN was well stocked, the guy here in Rockville told me 'we had a meeting about what to say this weekend when we don't have anything, we ran out last Saturday, Sunday already people were pissed." That is not a real quote, that is a paraphrasion. I'm not complaining anymore, nor entertaining your dissention!! Let's see if i'm alone in this. I'm tired of corporate crap. God speed, blur skies, good luck!!!

Mine is not dissention, that is your catagory. If you are tired of corporate crap then support your Mom and Pop outfitter. You'll pay more in most cases, but you don't have to put up with corporate crap. No you won't do that cause to support them you won't save a dollar, so would rather bitch about it.

Ewker
05-06-2008, 18:34
Hey envirodiver, do you still have the Prodigy 10 in stock?

Lilred
05-06-2008, 18:39
This is not bait and switch. I wanted a skirt I saw online. I called the REI in Nashville and they said they didn't have it, but if I ordered it, I could ship it to the store for free and return it immediately for a full refund if it didn't fit or for whatever reason. There is no bait and switch whatsoever. If you can order it online and ship it to the store for free, and have 100% satisfaction gaurantee, where is the bait, and what exactly was switched????

ToyYoda
05-06-2008, 18:39
I got everything I went to REI to get... plus some. Mine was stocked well I guess. I went several days after the sale started, and was there on a weekend late in the afternoon. I think you just had bad luck dude.

Summit
05-06-2008, 18:49
Not taking sides but it is possible :-? the Rockville REI is poorly managed and their inventory was not what it should have been. But since you, daibutsu, seem to be the only serious complainer about this gigantic REI sale, the burden of proof is on you to prove that. I would say your complaint has taken a "called strike three on the outside corner of the plate" here though! :eek: :p

ToyYoda
05-06-2008, 19:35
Should have headed over to College Park, lines were bumping but they were knocking them out quickly and had plenty of everything I wanted. I'm heading up there this weekend to use the members only 20% coupon on some asolo fugitives.

f8lranger4x4
05-06-2008, 20:30
Just ordered a couple things off their ended up saving $50.

Bearpaw
05-06-2008, 21:13
The REI where I work had more stock than I have seen in the 7 previous Anniversary Sales. I was astounded by how little room we had in our footwear warehouse. We have several hundred pairs of shoes upstairs in the bike hold area. And we still have an expected shipment of more stock coming in this week. Still, we were seeing a handful of the most common sizes running short late on Saturday evening (like women size 8's for example).

We were getting 5 or 6 pairs of each sale shoe in that size. On a normal basis, we'd have 1 or 2 pairs of any given shoe in our warehouse because that's all our warehouse can reasonably hold. The company went out of its way to stock us for the sale. And the crowds were still the heaviest I have seen in 7 years of working there.

To call this "bait and switch" is grossly unfair to the co-op and the people who have been busting their rear ends to take care of its members.

chuckbuster
05-06-2008, 23:35
I was at the REI in Rockville the day the sale started and the place was packed. The associates there said they had never seen the store so full of people. If you waited five days into the sale, then you can pretty much expect to find nothing but leftovers. I found everything I went for except a pair of running shoes in the right size and have since ordered them online as instructed by the associates at the store. Very helpful on a very busy day!

envirodiver
05-06-2008, 23:37
Hey envirodiver, do you still have the Prodigy 10 in stock?

I worked Monday night and I think there were several in the store that night. Best bet to call and check, but I would think there were still some there.

StepChld
05-07-2008, 02:52
It's odd that the Steri-pen was mentioned...Saturday evening my wife and I were at our local REI (got myself a new pair of Keen's, saved $30:banana). Anyway, I just happened to walk past an endcap of about 20-30 Steri-pens(maybe more) on sale.I wasn't in the market for such but I do know that is the most I've ever seen at my REI. Had to stop back by REI tonight for something I forgot to get Saturday. Just so happens I walked by the same endcap and every single Steri-pen was sold out. Asked the sales associate about it being that an empty end cap is very noticable. She commented that they sold the final one Sunday...they went like hot cakes. Go figure...something wanted by consumers actually sold out. Didn't we learn this lesson with Cabbage Patch Dolls?;)

Ewker
05-09-2008, 08:44
I finally made it down to REI last night. I looked for Envirodiver and Bearpaw but couldn't find them. Guess they were hiding since the store was packed :rolleyes:
Shelves and displays were still pretty full.

I ended up walking out with my new kayak :banana

envirodiver
05-09-2008, 10:23
I finally made it down to REI last night. I looked for Envirodiver and Bearpaw but couldn't find them. Guess they were hiding since the store was packed :rolleyes:
Shelves and displays were still pretty full.

I ended up walking out with my new kayak :banana

Sweet purchase Ewker and a great deal. I didn't work last night. I'll be there Fri, Sat, Sun. That schedule is not conducive to my hiking needs, but every now and then gotta take one for the team.

envirodiver
05-09-2008, 10:25
It's odd that the Steri-pen was mentioned...Saturday evening my wife and I were at our local REI (got myself a new pair of Keen's, saved $30:banana). Anyway, I just happened to walk past an endcap of about 20-30 Steri-pens(maybe more) on sale.I wasn't in the market for such but I do know that is the most I've ever seen at my REI. Had to stop back by REI tonight for something I forgot to get Saturday. Just so happens I walked by the same endcap and every single Steri-pen was sold out. Asked the sales associate about it being that an empty end cap is very noticable. She commented that they sold the final one Sunday...they went like hot cakes. Go figure...something wanted by consumers actually sold out. Didn't we learn this lesson with Cabbage Patch Dolls?;)

You think that Steri-pens are the next beanie babies or Tickle Me Elmo?:D

Summit
05-09-2008, 11:44
You think that Steri-pens are the next beanie babies or Tickle Me Elmo?:DIn my now grown son's era it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! I'll never forget driving over 100 miles (after calling around to Toys-R-Us') to get the last "Sewer City" for his Christmas present! :) :sun

Fiddleback
05-09-2008, 11:55
A few posts ago, the REI handling of the anniversay sale was referred to as 'corporate crap.' Given that REI is a co-op, with us members getting dividends, summarized financial statements and such, I found the reference amusing.

As I type, I can't think of any 'store' that has a more convenient, more liberal shopping and return policy. Lower prices, perhaps, but just really easy shopping. As for this sale, My Lady and I didn't even bother to visit the store...she just directly ordered online. We'll visit the store next week at our convenience and schedule to pick up the discounted item...when the sale is over and the crowds are gone.

I don't shop at REI much but when I do I really enjoy, and appreciate, the experience.

FB

daibutsu
05-09-2008, 18:00
I could of ordered online without going there to find the items were out of stock half way into the sale? I could of made one trip to get the items, after ordering it online? If I could simplify this why not just order the items on line and not have to peruse all the stuff they want to sell? And why is shipping it to my home so bad? It seems much more efficient that two trips, one dedicated to look at REI's inventory.

As an aside: I'm actually a small businessman that often seeks out patronizing the "mom and pops." ALL my office supplies I purchase from a small co. that unfortunately cannot compete with office despot and staples. It does cost me about 20 percent more. But their kids get good grades. So when overpriced REI has a decent sale I expect to get and get out not having to look at what I don't need. Save me the cheap argumentum adhominem.

Secondly, REI Cooperative? Dividends and reports? The same reason there are no camping 'mom and pops' is why you are suckered into this feel good "partnership." It's a corporation, nothing wrong with that, but don't delude yourself. Throwing you a discount is great, but it is still built into the same cost/profit ratios that we all work within. It all good, just don't ram REI patriotism down my throat when I go there in good faith to get stuff that just isn't there.

Fiddleback
05-09-2008, 19:30
For many, purchases are all about getting a good price, for others it's the shopping experience. Some glady pay extra for an altruistic motive, e.g., 'green' products or support for the local merchant against the big box store. Perhaps for most, shopping is a combination of factors and it's clear some like REI and some don't. Very little of my own camping purchases are done there because of their prices but I like the store none the less. On the other hand, My Lady hates to shop (partially explaining her online order) and also likes to 'get and get out.' That's why, when she has a particular item in mind, she uses the phone to determine its availability...if she's not in the mood to pay for shipping of online orders. Otherwise, she, like me, revels in online shopping. In her car, a round trip to REI costs about a gallon and a half of gasoline but when blending that trip with weekly grocery shopping REI's 'free-to-store' shipment looks pretty...

Who knew 'out of stock' could stimulate such a great discussion and fine argumentative writing! :D

FB

Foyt20
05-09-2008, 23:27
My fiancee is not a "rei shopper" but she gladly spent 2 hours there while i tried on packs :D