PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on Cable Gap

Mrs Baggins
05-06-2008, 16:02
Husband and I were planning on a quick 2 day hike from Stecoah Gap to Fontana this Friday/Saturday. Just read somewhere that Cable Gap is very old and can only sleep 4 people. Is that true????? :eek: We were hoping to leave the tents at home this time and stay in the shelter, but if it's that small we could find ourselves squeezed out. Don't like cowboy camping!

Tabasco
05-06-2008, 16:04
My son and I stayed there a few years ago. It is VERY old, although I think they have a new roof. You can fit 6 or 7 inside in a pinch if I recall correctly. Search the photo galleries, there will be several photos that you can see how big / small it is.

SGT Rock
05-06-2008, 16:10
Husband and I were planning on a quick 2 day hike from Stecoah Gap to Fontana this Friday/Saturday. Just read somewhere that Cable Gap is very old and can only sleep 4 people. Is that true????? :eek: We were hoping to leave the tents at home this time and stay in the shelter, but if it's that small we could find ourselves squeezed out. Don't like cowboy camping!
Bring a tarp. You never know when you may need a shelter - I went to a shelter on this trip, the end of a 20 mile day, and the shelter roof was gone. Stuff happens - be a little prepared.

Gray Blazer
05-06-2008, 16:13
be a little prepared.

Is that the new BSA motto?:D

SGT Rock
05-06-2008, 16:14
It's the ultralight motto.

Tabasco
here's a good head on photo
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1317&catid=searchresults&searchid=14880

Tabasco
let's try that again.....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1317&catid=searchresults&searchid=14880

Gray Blazer
05-06-2008, 16:15
:D:D Seems to be.

Mrs Baggins
05-06-2008, 16:33
Bring a tarp. You never know when you may need a shelter - I went to a shelter on this trip, the end of a 20 mile day, and the shelter roof was gone. Stuff happens - be a little prepared.

Yeah, I know. Just trying to cut the weight for once. Oh well. Just have to carry the tents. Hope the tent area is decent around the shelter.

Roots
05-06-2008, 16:35

Yes, it is very little. I have pics of it on trailjournals. It is very old. Of course, I don't do shelters. :) That is a beautiful section.

SGT Rock
05-06-2008, 16:42
Yeah, I know. Just trying to cut the weight for once. Oh well. Just have to carry the tents. Hope the tent area is decent around the shelter.
Wrll that is why I would reccomend a tarp. Chances are good you will get space, so instead of taking a whole tent and probably not using it, just take a tarp 'in case' and not worry while still having a back up.

Mrs Baggins
05-06-2008, 16:58
Wrll that is why I would reccomend a tarp. Chances are good you will get space, so instead of taking a whole tent and probably not using it, just take a tarp 'in case' and not worry while still having a back up.

Don't have any tarps - just Hubba tents. And don't have a decent outfitter for 120+ miles (Atlanta GA or Pineville NC). :mad: Cutting it too close for fast ship and wouldn't want to pay the big $$ for it anyway. A Hubba isn't heavy - but it was just one less thing to carry if it wasn't necessary. So Hubbas it is. If it's a nice night it is awfully sweet to put it up without the rain fly and enjoy the sky and the weather. :D

Tabasco
05-06-2008, 17:09
About 50-75 yards behind the shelter are some good tent spots

SGT Rock
05-06-2008, 17:14
Don't have any tarps - just Hubba tents. And don't have a decent outfitter for 120+ miles (Atlanta GA or Pineville NC). :mad: Cutting it too close for fast ship and wouldn't want to pay the big $$ for it anyway. A Hubba isn't heavy - but it was just one less thing to carry if it wasn't necessary. So Hubbas it is. If it's a nice night it is awfully sweet to put it up without the rain fly and enjoy the sky and the weather. :D
About 15 miles before you get to Stecoah Gap you will most likely go past the NOC. They got lots of good gear - just saying.

Mrs Baggins
05-06-2008, 18:36
About 15 miles before you get to Stecoah Gap you will most likely go past the NOC. They got lots of good gear - just saying.

Thanks. We could do that since we're driving up and leaving our car at Fontana. I'm just trying to make up a very small section that I bailed on a few weeks ago so that's why it's so short.

smokymtnsteve
05-06-2008, 18:58
why not just take along a sheet of plastic to use as a emergency tarp?

SGT Rock
05-06-2008, 19:39
Thanks. We could do that since we're driving up and leaving our car at Fontana. I'm just trying to make up a very small section that I bailed on a few weeks ago so that's why it's so short.
Its a good outfitter and a good place to eat before you get on the trail (while getting a show from kayakers). Even if you aren't buying anything it is worth a stop.

Tipi Walter
05-06-2008, 21:30
I've spent some nights camping in a tent around Cable Gap and have a fotog of my tent not far from the shelter. The problem is not finding room at the shelter, the problem is reaching the shelter from Stecoah Gap cuz there's a "bit of a hill" going up from Sweetweater Gap before reaching Brown Fork Gap shelter. You'll love it.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2008, 22:38

why do you want to sleep in a shelter? you'll never hike out west

Mrs Baggins
05-07-2008, 04:48
why do you want to sleep in a shelter? you'll never hike out west

Sorry, but I HAVE hiked out west. I'm from out west. We were just trying to save a little weight and having to take the tents - nothing more. I have slept in shelters but I've tented a WHOLE lot more. I spent my honeymoon in a tent in Yosemite - we've always been tenters. Since it's just one night on this hike we figured we'd just use the shelter.

And I know all about that hill before Brown Fork Gap. And I have stayed in the bunkhouses at NOC and eaten at the restaurant and climbed out of the NOC...........

BlackCloud
08-30-2009, 23:06
Any comments regarding the H2O situation @ this shelter?

Hikes in Rain
08-31-2009, 06:35
Nothing recent, but when I went through there it was a nicely flowing creek. With the rain that area of the country has been getting this week, it should be fine.

Morning Glory
09-12-2009, 08:41
Nothing recent, but when I went through there it was a nicely flowing creek. With the rain that area of the country has been getting this week, it should be fine.
I was just their on Sunday night it it is about as good of a water situation that you could hope for.

BlackCloud
10-18-2009, 23:54
As of 9-10-09, when I spent a fog shrouded night there, the creek was flowing well, though the use of filters is tricky given the shallowness.

Cabin was clean, but lacked a picnic table. Scared a bear out of the brush about .1 miles north....

BlackCloud
10-18-2009, 23:58
I meant 10-10-09