PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to WhiteBlaze.net

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

CrumbSnatcher
04-13-2011, 19:47
Greetings!

My footprints have only graced the Massachusetts, and New Hampshire sections of the AT, but I've become thoroughly obsessed over my eventual dream to hike mass amounts of the AT!

I greatly anticipate the veritable plethora of knowledge that I'll no doubt gain from being apart of this online community!

Cheers! :danceWELCOME to WB!

BuddyGus
04-18-2011, 01:49
Hello all.

I am beginning the planning and reality check of an AT thru-hike. I am planning on doing it after I retire from the military in about 5 years.

Needless to say that in the 15 years I have been in the Marine Corps I have done a fair share of hiking and camping outdoors. Funny, that I would choose to continue it after I retire.

Look forward to meeting good people, and picking their brains for tips and advice about hiking with regular equipment and tools.

oldnewfie
04-29-2011, 19:39
I'm planning for a thruhike 2012, when I will be 72, and kicking... Wonderful to be in the company of so many who share a love of the trail.
No trail name.

Shuckstack
05-03-2011, 20:36
Hello

It's nice to be a part of this community. I am planning a 3-4 day hike in the Smokies this July. I want to hike half of the AT across the smokies this year and the other half in 2012. I have found alot of great information on this site and am most grateful.

Treadup
05-09-2011, 14:17
Thank you to all who have submitted tips and info on this forum. I am really enjoying reading the tips on dirt bagging as well.
I am far from a LDH as of now, however, when time and space allow I'll be on my way.

Thanks and hope to see ya'll soon!

slims
05-10-2011, 18:35
Greetings to all.

I've recently been bit with the thru hike bug and I'm hoping to set off next year. I'm basically just trying to learn as much as possible as I begin my planning and I've been reading so many useful articles and posts on this site that I figure it's about time I sign up.

iwhitley
05-14-2011, 15:20
I just wanted to say Hello! My wife, myself and our Lab Wilbur will be starting to Section Hike parts of the Appalachian Trail this year.

It has always been a dream on my wifes to hike the Appalachian trail!

I grew up in Waynesboro so I did parts of the Virginia sections when I was younger.

We look forward to learning from this site and experiencing the trail section by section.

Thanks to everyone who has unknowingly helped us threw this site.

Ivan, Ruth and Wilbur

Burnt2Death
05-23-2011, 13:26
Just stopping in to say hi. New to the forum. Found it while searching around planning a new adventure. I am from Southeast PA and I have hiked the entire PA section but would like to start exploring new areas not in state. Anyway I am off to find my way around this forum and I am looking forward to learning and sharing some new things.

pixie91075
05-23-2011, 15:40
lol... even though I registered for an account here on the forum back in '09, apparently I never posted anything. I had totally forgotten I had until my husband suggested that I register and read the forums...

So this is my official hello. My name is Lesley, I live in VA, and I'm helping my husband get ready for his planned thru hike by... well, HIKING...

We just started getting serious about things in the last few weeks. We've been going out to SNP and doing short circuit hikes (7-10 miles) on the weekend. We're planning on doing an overnight trip in a few months (target September).

So you may see us out there...

long island bob
05-24-2011, 10:13
Hello and happy trails.

I've always dreamed of an AT thru-hike and now that my son is old enough to switch from camping to backpacking maybe one day that will happen.

I'm delighted that this forum exists and I look forward to interacting with you all in the future.

ciphoto
05-24-2011, 14:54
I'm a noob here and I'm sure I'll ask soem things that have been ask before, even as I read and search the forum.

I've always wanted to hike the AT and now and moving forward with a plan to section hike it most likely.

But I wanted to say thinks for those that are sharing their experiences with us noob's and the patience....

If this forum is halve as friendly and useful as the hammockforums I know it will be a positive resource I come to again and again....

peace

ktfitzgerald
05-26-2011, 11:13
Hi! I just decided to start planning my first section hike this fall. I'm so excited to have found this site! Looking forward to learning a lot here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed!!!!

flyguync
06-09-2011, 21:52
Hello from eastern NC. I accompanied my son's scout troop on the Virginia Creeper Trail over the weekend of Trail Daze in Damascus and was overcome with a desire to hike at least a small section of the AT. I've certainly found a great source of info here that I hope will help prepare me and my 14 yr old son for a section hike in the very near future.

MapMaker
06-10-2011, 10:21
Hello all! This appears to be a great site for gathering info. As my name states i make maps (more or less) for a living. I work as the GIS technician for Bedford County VA. Most of our counties northern border runs along the AT. I grew up in this area and always dreamed about knocking out the 2k beginning to end. After hurting my back in the Army I'm realistic that it'll be section hiking for me, but that's life. Now to get ready, I need to loose some of the weight I've found since med boarding in '03 I thought a good way would be to start out was to provide some trail magic to the folks kicking butt! I'm close to several shelters (short hikes) and not far from the Jennings creek crossing and James River crossing (Snowden). If anyone's coming thru drop a email and we can see what can be done!

utostar
06-16-2011, 04:30
Hello all this seems to be a pretty good info site, Just signed in and wanted to say HI to all :)

mxh5210
06-25-2011, 01:34
thanks a lot

Dick Dynamo
06-30-2011, 11:01
Hello And The BIGGIST Thankyou:) To all who contribute to this 'Holy Grail' of the www. :) Ive been gathering knoledge, Supplies, and Carple Tunnel from being on tis websight ALOT! What everyone has done is a nice thing and even just joining i feel welcome and have ton of questions. I look foward to everyone answering them and correcting my horrable spelling:) hehhe. Good day and Great hiking:)

gillyfish
06-30-2011, 19:00
Hi! I'm new :)
I dreamed of hiking the AT after high school, but other things got in the way. I've dusted off my dreams once again and plan to start next summer, 2-3 weeks at a time, starting at Katahdin and working my way south. Pretty psyched!!

charmstr
07-08-2011, 00:23
Hi all. I woke up one day a couple weeks ago and thought, "How great would it be if my dog Jack and I started hiking?" The answer to that question is, of course, "pretty great." At that point I knew absolutely nothing about hiking, nothing about hiking with a dog, and nothing about the Appalachian Trail. Here it is a couple of weeks later and while I still don't know much, I do know a couple of things: my dog doesn't want to go on any hikes that last for more than about 40 minutes; and walking along bike paths in flat flat flat South Jersey probably isn't preparing me for hiking on the Appalachian Trail.

I'm so glad I found this forum. Thanks!

Feral Nature
07-11-2011, 02:52
Well Howdy!

I stayed up last night late reading on this forum so just went ahead and joined. I have dreams of thruhiking the AT but am so new. There has always been a whispering, a nudging, a tugging to do something so grand and I am finding in life that if you want to do something, you better do it. I have set out on many adventures, the journey being the most fulfilling part, of course, be it going back to college, or leaving the comforts and culture of the big city for a homestead with primative conditions, hopping a Greyhound bus for a spontaneous trip or heck, taking off with a backpack with high hopes of adventure on the trail. I am a mother and grandmother and a retired nurse so am able to think on my feet and push myself even when I really, really don't feel like it. I am so happy to have found this site! I have much reading to do and many questions to ask. In my perfect world, I would hike NOBO beginning Mid-March. Glad to be here :)

Texas Phlox

BarnRat
07-15-2011, 22:00
Hello all. It's been 20 years since I was hiking. The last trip at was at 17 to Baxter state park and 50 miler on the Alagash water way in the scouts. Back then it was just about nothing but external frame packs and pretty heavy tents. I stopped by REI the other day and was floored at much more comfortable I'm gonna be when I set of for Maine in march 2013. I went fishing with my kids on Fathers day and suddenly realized I had been away for the last 20 years. Where have I been and what have I been thinking. So back to the woods I'm going. I was surprised that my wife thinks it's a good idea that I'll be gone for 6 or 7 months.....hmmm. Anyway I have a lot to learn and am so glad I have found a place to connect with other hikers that have put the miles on all this awesome new gear. I'm here to pick your brains!!!!

Happy trails

BarnRat

HF-TrailAngel
07-19-2011, 16:15
Hello,

We just wanted to let our presence be known to the world of AT. My father and I have recently decided to start showing our love and compassion to the many hikers and wanderers out there, by announcing we are your Trail Angel of Harper's Ferry, West Virginia.

Harper's Ferry is a wonderful town, in which we have resided here for several months now, but we have noticed there isn't much in the department of transportation, well there are buses and such, but not a sure way to get to the local Walmart and such to restock, or get some food. We are here to fill that gap.

We are offering our nice, large, cozy Suburban (seating for 9+) to transport you around town. Need to get to the laundry mat? Just give us a ring, and we will take you and bring you back to where you would like to be dropped off at. We aren't asking anything for our service. Nice local short runs :) though ask us and we can work with you on what you would need.

We would like to get in contact with other T.A's, to help get the word out, that Harper's Ferry is open for some trail magic.
Our email address is:

[email protected]

So if you know a T.A, or are one yourself, and we would love to get into connect with you and help out.

Thanks,

David
-HF.TA-

Katsal
07-26-2011, 14:18
I just wanted to say 'hi'. I enjoy hiking and always make sure I include some when I travel. This will be my first visit to the US (slightly daunting) and I am planning (or at least trying to plan) a section hike in the Autumn (starting mid-Oct) from Harpers Ferry to Damascus. No idea of what to do first when it comes to the planning (but know I need to and soon!) and I am hoping that I will put the information on these forums to good use.

Adarack
07-27-2011, 03:32
Hey WB,

I'm coming over here from HammockForums.net sister site. I'm getting back into hiking and backpacking after many years of being lazy and or busy. Living in Massachusetts and looking to section hike the AT in New England and any other trails I come across.

Anyway excited to be here...

Rusty Nail
08-06-2011, 18:20
After taking 15 years off from any serious hiking... I am back. My gear is 3 times heavier than current models, but if I could carry it as a teen in Philmont, NM , I am sure I can carry it now. Although I have been slowly upgrading it lately. I have lived less than 10 min from the AT for almost 30 years and spend a lot of time around the trail just not much ON it. Life has got in the way of the long time goal of GAME but next April I will be sectioning GA-VA.

jansom
08-07-2011, 21:16
Hello everyone. I'm planning what I call a thru hike but will probably end up being a section hike starting in Georgia on May 4th, 2012. I used to hike and backpack alot when I was younger, scouts and family stuff. I stopped when I left home and then did some dayhiking and car camping from 07-09. I'm back in school and have some time to take it up again. It has been mindblowing seeing the equipment changes that have come out since the early 90's and I hope to get some input for my trip as this site has already been a tremendous resource.

FollowFowler
08-08-2011, 16:54
Hello all, introducing myself. Excited about eventually hiking the Appalachian Trail in it's entirety with two of my closest friends starting Sept 8, 2011 at Springer. Thanks for the great forum that will allow newbies like myself and my buddies to learn more about what we can expect on the trail and help us to prepare for a wonderful adventure.

hikerboy57
08-08-2011, 18:05
Hello all, introducing myself. Excited about eventually hiking the Appalachian Trail in it's entirety with two of my closest friends starting Sept 8, 2011 at Springer. Thanks for the great forum that will allow newbies like myself and my buddies to learn more about what we can expect on the trail and help us to prepare for a wonderful adventure.
welcome to WB. theres a lot of great information available to you here. I suggest you read some of the articles on the left side of the home page to help with your planning, and when you have a specific question, feel free to ask. I do want to suggest, however, either a different start date, as you would be hiking straight through the worst weather the mountains can provide. Or you might consider starting at Katahdin and hking south, keeping one step ahead of the cold.Most NOBOS stat march or april, and Baxter State Park closes on Oct 15th. doesnt reopen to hikers until May.

JeremieOwens
08-12-2011, 12:51
Just wanted to say hello! Looking forward to getting to know the community and learning from all the valuable resources on the site. Cheers!

Winterstar1
08-12-2011, 13:36
Greetings everyone! Took a round trip from Clingmans Dome to Silers Bald just yesterday, a balmy 58 degrees on return. A great hike once you leave the masses at the Dome.

civilsid
08-13-2011, 23:51
Greetings-

Wow, what a lot of info here. Also completely new, I recently watched the National Geographic show about the AT and it got me thinking about hiking. Did a fun little day hike this morning, just grabbed my water bottle and a walking stick and climbed Hualapai Peak in my own back yard. It was about 4 miles from road to peak and we were on the trail about 4 hours climbing from 6,600 feet to 8,020. The weather was perfect.

Anyways, I also hope to connect with others, come up with a game plan and hike some? all? of the AT next year. Pros and rookies alike, drop me a line and share what you have learned. I'm all ears.

Sid in Kingman, AZ

Virginia Archer
08-21-2011, 20:32
Hello all, just found your site doing some searching on the web. Recently saw a couple of documentary's on netflix on the AT and have gotten the itch to getting up there again. I'm from Central VA about 2 hours east. I've been up and done a few sections as a Scout and family outings. Kinda looking to possibly start doing some sections again by myself and maybe a few smaller ones with my daughter and Possibly the wifey too! Mainly figured I'd look to some more experienced hikers for some pointers.

Olddog
08-22-2011, 17:31
Hello, Been about a year getting back into hiking by way of the Hammock Forum. Though born and raised in Florida, after spending the last few summers in Maine, I'm not a fan of the heat and humidity here. Been spending the summer reworking my kit to lighten the load some before our season begins. Being retired I have lots of time and little money so thought this might be the best source of info for DIY and tips to lighten that load.

rimail
08-27-2011, 10:33
Hi all.
I come from France then my english is not very good, I hope it will be ok.
I did hikings in the world and one in USA (JMT, last year).
This year, in september, i will come back to USA in different place. I want to visit NYC and use 4 days to hike allong of the AT.

See You.
Rémi.

trailmix
08-28-2011, 17:54
Hello. New guy from NC. Have been lurking around for a few month and decided to join. It has always been a dream of mine to hike the whole AT and hopefully it will happen within the next few years. Hope to make a few friend and get some good info on the site

Berry Belle
08-31-2011, 02:00
Hi, I hiked HF to ME in 1992 and I've been pluggin' away at the southern half, week by week, ever since. Getting farther away from home, so I stopped by to see what I could find that might help me plan my next week on the AT.

SnakeSession
08-31-2011, 21:47
Hello! Looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here.

Another new guy here with plans on a solo thru hike in 2012. This spring I started hiking serious to help loose weight. So far I've lost 65 lbs and am hooked on hiking bigtime. I completed the Foothills trail in July and had so much fun that I started reading about the AT.

Learned a lot of need-to-know info already from this site and still have a LOT of planning to do before March/April.

Getting my gear figured out but still learn every night I camp. At first I had a army surplus pack full of junk but going ultralight and working on getting the weight down.

That's my quick intro. Thanks for the site, Jeff aka SnakeSession

KimberVa
09-07-2011, 10:22
Hello to all. I try to always post an intro in a forum I join as a thanks for letting me in the first place. I am lucky enough to live close enough to the AT to be able to hike it as many weekends as I can et off from my many jobs. Just wanted to say that I have read many of your articles and tips and were instrumental in getting me going on the right path early on in my hiking endeavours. Hope to be a contributing member of this forum an yet again thanks for all the work.

weirdshot
09-20-2011, 06:41
Hello, everyone. I'm new around here and just starting to check things out. This looks like an interesting place and there seem to be some pretty lively discussions going on.

OBXWaMi
09-20-2011, 17:48
Another newbie here. Hiking the AT has been on my bucket list for many years, but living less than 5 miles from the Atlantic ocean and rarely having 2 consecutive days off from work doesn't provide much opportunity. But I haven't stopped dreaming. Hubby and I drove the Blueridge Parkway from Waynesboro to Wytheville this past weekend for our 20th anniversary (which really happens to be today). I got to step on the AT (hubby teased that my bucket list now has another item marked off) and it only served to remind me that I'm not getting any younger and to renew my desire to get out there. I know that a thru-hike is many years away--if ever, but I would love to do some weekend hikes and work my way up to a week or two by the end of next summer. Hubby is disabled so I'm going to need hiking buddies. I'd love to hear from anyone willing to help me start the journey to crosssing this off my bucket list for real!

--Michelle

wwbriggs
09-26-2011, 08:17
Hello,

Glad to see this community and all the wealth of information for us aspiring thru-hikers.

Thank you,

Billie Blazes

Live_for_hiking
10-11-2011, 19:51
Hello everybody. Very interesting board here. Thanks to the staff that maintain it! After a decade of no-hiking ... I've found I have the bug again. Before I forgot what is important about hiking, I found myself all over the US doing small hikes. I’ve hiked portions of the AT in Virginia and PA. I’ve hiked the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota. I spent some time exploring the Cascades in Washington. I’ve even spent a weekend hiking the trail on Pine Mountain in Georgia! It feels good to move back to a place that is close to the AT and many other trails. The stories I’ve read on this site are fantastic encouragement. My decade old gear is dusted off and inspected. I’ve done a little shopping and discovered HOW MUCH has gear changed in the past 10 years. I am amazed at how light you can get a pack nowadays! I am pretty sure that if I substituted ultra-light alternatives, I’d only have about 12 lbs before food and water. But the $$$$ … I think my gear is still fine (Dana Design Bomber, Clip Flashlight, Pur Water Filter, etc). Although, I abused my 30 degree bag (stuff sack IN the backpack) so I may need to get a new one. Anyway, I’m typing out-loud.... The AT is still on my to-do list. I figure I’ll run it when I have a life transition or in about 4 years … whichever comes first! Until then, I will plan on doing PA portion of the AT (North to South direction) next summer in segments. I assume when I do the thru-hike, it will be from GA to ME. Trails look different going the opposite way. I’ll also take care of a couple of my other to-do hikes in the interim. Anyway, it is good to be here. If anybody ever wants to do a hike and doesn’t mind taking a guy with no-trail legs or endurance … send me a pm and we’ll have a chat. I'm not afraid to drive ... everything seems so close on the east coast. Safe travels.

Live_for_hiking
10-11-2011, 19:53
OK. It appears my multiple paragraphs turned into a wall of text. Sorry.

4eyedbuzzard
10-11-2011, 20:04
Welcome :welcome Before you toss the old bag, try reviving it by hanging it, fluffing it by hand, low heat in the dryer with tennis balls, and even washing it, etc. It may not regain all its original loft, but often a quality bag will come back to life 80 - 90% or so. If nothing else it can do as a loaner for friends, etc. And yeah, all this new lightweight stuff is nice - but pricey!

Live_for_hiking
10-11-2011, 20:26
Welcome :welcome Before you toss the old bag, try reviving it by hanging it, fluffing it by hand, low heat in the dryer with tennis balls, and even washing it, etc. It may not regain all its original loft, but often a quality bag will come back to life 80 - 90% or so. If nothing else it can do as a loaner for friends, etc. And yeah, all this new lightweight stuff is nice - but pricey!

Thank you for the welcome! The bag is hung and hand fluffed. That part I did immediately, along with a few choice words about my stupidity, when I unpacked it. I will give the cleaning and drying a go ... good idea.

Fireweed
10-13-2011, 15:20
My 40 year old Holubar winter bag is still great (admittedly I have kept it in the closet, not the bag) But I still bought a new lightweight for the AT. Love the new gear! Worth the price. Think about going SOBO You get in shape early and then the sourthern part is cake. Imagine cruising for months NOBO and hitting VT, NH & ME! I think it would break my heart. But, then, I've been sectioning SOBO.

DayHiker G
10-18-2011, 00:08
Hello whiteblazers!

I thought I would give everyone a shout before I get to involved with reading and posting on the forum. I’m DayHiker G. As my name suggests I’m a day hiker. I never did any overnight hikes (yet). I've always enjoyed hiking throughout my life. I live right by the Lehigh Gorge and the AT is on top of the mountain right outside my front door. I never knew this and for 11yrs. I would look up at the mountain and say "one day I’m going to hike up that mountain". 5yrs ago I finally decided to give it a go and when I got to the top I saw an AT stake in the ground and I was taken back a little. If I only knew the AT was so close I would have decided to hike the trails long ago. I’m currently reading "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" (fantastic book btw) and I’m getting the itch to get on the trail again. I haven't been able to hike for the past two years because Oct 31, 2009 I broke my ankle in three places and tore a majority of the ligaments. Two weeks after my ankle surgery I was laying on my death bed due to 11 blood clots lodged in my lungs. The doctor said if I didn’t go to the ER I would have never made it through the night. That experience opened my eyes and made me realize I had a lot more living to do and I had some goals to fulfill (a bucket list). I have recovered from the broken ankle only to be afflicted with heel problems on my other foot. I tried to get through this year without going to the doctor but I think it's inevitable because I'm having trouble walking for any amount of time. I’m looking forward to getting back on the trail. I think my dog is too! We both have gained a spare tire! LOL!

I’m glad I found this site while looking into hiking the AT (Thx to AWOL). What a great wealth of info this site has! I don't know if I will ever get the opportunity to hike the entire AT but I will sure enjoy the parts I do explore!

Sailing_Faith
10-18-2011, 10:31
Poor form on my part, I jumped in without the obligatory intro post! I shall accept the requisite 40 lashes with a wet ramen noodle... :eek:

As the name implies, I am a Sailor. Small boat sailing is complementary since you learn to appreciate that less is more and the idea of 'Hike your own hike' applies very well.

I am trying to sneak out to the trail right now. I have a delivery that is being set up to take a boat from Hawaii to San Francisco... but it is taking forever to get the details worked out.

I had been training to hike the 101 miles of Shenandoah National Park (yes, I know it is a cop out to take the easy section first)... Not sure I will get to do the whole thing, but plan to get a couple days up there before the trip if I can. :)

I used to hike in the Santa Cruz mountains as a kid, and would hike up Mt. Tamalpias (Marin County, north of San Francisco) several times a year through the summers in high school. I have not done much hiking since then, but have been training since August and am doing fairly well... did a little less then 10 miles last night with a 38# load, which was a break through for me. :D

A couple years ago I left life and spent 9 months on a small sail boat with my wife and dog (http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,72.0.html). We enjoyed living simply, and might well still be 'out there' if the demands of social structure had not pulled us back. Maybe the 'common thread' is the appeal of living simply, and living deliberately....

I moderate/administer multiple sailing related sites and have to say that this is a really really well run forum. Of course, the 'staff' only get part of the credit for that... the people are what make a site worthwhile. Thank you to the many folks who contribute... I have learned a lot already from you, and look forward to contributing in whatever way I can.

MeadowMushroom
10-31-2011, 23:48
Hello. I am planning a thru hike in 2012. I need something amazing to accomplish. To boost my self esteem. I want to travel and meet friends who have similar interests, goals, and fun stories or advice to share. Nothing has ever seemed so clear then to be in the wilderness, hiking, seeing real beauty, breathing fresh air, getting away from mirrors, television, traffic, and the fast paced city life I've been in for almost 20 years. I look forward to reading stories of hikers and meeting new friends.

MM

jdizzle
11-05-2011, 13:36
Hello all, great site you have here. Im living in Florida and am planning a thru hike in '13 and this forum is exactly what I need, so thanks in advance for all the answers to the questions I will more than likely ask.

Bonnie86
11-13-2011, 13:06
Hey everyone!

I'm planning on doing a NOBO thru hike in 2013. I've read everything on the ATC site but as far as I'm concerned there's no better information than that, that comes from someone who has actually done it! So I'm here for any tips and/or advice anyone can give me, and I look forward to reading about everyone's experiences!

I've not had much experience hiking as such but I'm quite used to covering 8 miles in under 2 hours with 20 kg on my back (thanks to my job) and also living outside under a sheet with a healthy covering of snow on the ground! That being said, it's one thing doing it for a couple of weeks and whole other story for six months I'm sure!

ThomasOE
11-23-2011, 23:01
Hi I'm Tom. I work several jobs so I am currently a day hiker, geocacher, prepper, and tinker of all things outdoors. I'm working hard right now trying to get a website to take off so I can gather some money to eventually hike the AT. I think I may start vermicomposting and expanding as I make a few bucks from it. Not sure my wife is happy about the worm bin im installing soon. Hopefully the bench I plan on building for it will win her over.

Mike2012
11-24-2011, 21:01
Hi I'm Tom. I work several jobs so I am currently a day hiker, geocacher, prepper, and tinker of all things outdoors. I'm working hard right now trying to get a website to take off so I can gather some money to eventually hike the AT. I think I may start vermicomposting and expanding as I make a few bucks from it. Not sure my wife is happy about the worm bin im installing soon. Hopefully the bench I plan on building for it will win her over.

Used to having a compost pile right outside the door I was forced to throw it out when I moved to "a city". Wish I had had a wormbin but now that I am moving out glad I only have to deal with getting a sitter for my cat and not my thousands of worms.

Outback Mac
12-25-2011, 11:58
I am new to the forum. Planning my section hike April 9th. Looking for all the info I can get. Look forward to meeting up with all of you A.T hikers. Wish me LUCK!

Medic40
12-27-2011, 19:32
Newbie here! I am planning a thru hike starting March 15 2012. Hope to see y'all out there.

runt13
12-29-2011, 18:18
HI EVERYONE! Runt here, new to the forum, just saying hello.
been wandering around the northeastern woods since 1976! the AT has been a dream of mine for as long. my first ever walk in the woods was on the AT from rt 80 in NJ to sundfish pond, camped for the nite then down to the old copper mine in in del water gap. i was 9, my grandfather and i did it with just sleeping bags and sandwiches! not a long distence but when your 9, it felt like a different planet.
i have started my fall season every year since with a hike up to sunfish pond.
well just introducing myself

RUNT

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2011, 18:53
:welcomeHey runt. Greeting from a former Howell, Pt Pleasant, and Freehold resident - I escaped NJ in '95. Still have a few friends in Jackson, but it's a lot more built up and populated now than when I grew up around there in the 70's!

RORY CALHOUN
01-01-2012, 16:13
Newbie here! I am planning a thru hike starting March 15 2012. Hope to see y'all out there.

March 15, 2012 is the date i have penned in as a start also, so maybe that parking lot near Springer may be a "see ya" moment. With a title like Outback Mac either you are a "true" hiker or you like the Blooming Onion at the Outback Steakhouse, only you know that score....

Pathfinder1
01-01-2012, 16:23
I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

Hello, Whiteblazers...

This is a brand Noobie from New York State's lower Catskill Mountains, who just stumbled aboard.

Am not yet familiar with this site, but am nevertheless impressed.

Unless my physical luck changes for the better, I'll now be doing my trekking via UTE. Not too big of a deal, though, as I've got a lot of the same to look back upon.

IceAxe18
01-03-2012, 01:35
Hiking the Appalachian trail has been my dream sence in my 20's. I've been hiking and camping off and on sence I was a little kid. I've also been doing some basic mountaineering off and on sence 2003.

I'm sure I would be able to do a thru-hike on the Applachian trail, and finish it.

barks
01-03-2012, 19:18
Hello to everyone. New member here. I'm registered here as "barks" but a friend of mine dubbed me with the trail name "trailmix" because i'm more than a little bit addicted to the stuff.

Anywho, i'm currently planning to section-hike the AT because thru-hiking is out of the question for the time being. I'm not new to the outdoors and backpacking, but i am new to the AT. I hope to finish the AT (or at least be almost finished) within the next three years because i plan on doing a thru-hike of the PCT as soon as i'm out of the military. I'm also the geekiest jock you'll ever meet (or the jockiest geek?) and i love crunchy peanut butter.

And that's me in a nutshell. I look forward to perusing the forums and chatting with you folks.

- trailmix

Sal-XK
01-03-2012, 20:21
I'm glad I found this forum I've been digging threw all the information trying to find answers before I ask a bunch of questions. I promised my daughter we would do a section hike this summer so I'm starting my research. Looking forward learning and contributing to the forum. I've already started her training so I have no doubt she'll be ready by then. I have lots of experience with hiking rough terrain and long distances but never been to the AT and also never took my kid with me before either so I have no idea what to expect LOL.

felly
01-05-2012, 04:42
I am a newbie! Glad to become part of the forum.

george457d
01-06-2012, 19:02
Howdy ,
I wana go North to South ,so each step gets me closer to home ...

runt13
01-08-2012, 20:16
thanks for the warm welcome, 4eyedbuzzard. been in jackson 10+ years, originaly from edison. used to spend my summers in seaside, fishing, clamming, and crabbing. spent the winters [weekends] up in the delaware water gap and worthington forest, along with any state game lands my grandfather would take me. still pretty much the same program, but now i do it with my granddaughter.
RUNT

gunflint
01-12-2012, 14:18
Hello, all. Great site, I've spent a lot time reading on here. Lots of valuable info, some of less value as well. Thanks to everyone who makes this possible. Hope to see some of you out there.

surfnturk
01-12-2012, 15:03
Greetings everyone.My name is Dusty. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents..I did a small section of the AT (solo) around Thanksgiving time and really enjoyed.My wife had absolutly no problem with me being gone in the wilderness for 6 days.

kayakjax
01-15-2012, 20:34
I'm a creaky old-ish guy who got the fever reading Colin Fletcher about 1971, but let life intrude. I recently had a health scare, and realized that if I want to make dreams come true, I better be making them happen sooner, than later.

I'm glad to be here and really love learning from all the knowledgeable people here!

PalmettoGirl
01-15-2012, 20:42
Another newbie here... Tired of just lurking. Lots of great info on here. My AT hike is still years away, but I can live thru you guys until it gets here!

Dogger
01-29-2012, 00:12
Hello To EveryoneGreat forum you have here. Been lurking for a while time to say HI. Retired from work this past June. A lot of info here if you look for it. Got around 400 miles in this summer, the longest being 3 week in the U.P. on the North Country Trail. Have a room March 11 at Amicalola Lodge. Will take off on the 12th Should be a great summer.Dogger

Shovel
01-29-2012, 00:40
Howdy all. I'm fairly new to the site but have been hiking since my teens. Mainly the Cohutta Wilderness, A.T. and the Benton Mackaye. I'm 58 y.o. and retired. I live approx. 15 min. from Springer Mtn; therefore, I spend a great deal of time day hiking. This site is fantastic and a wealth of knowledge. Always learning something new. Glad I found it ! :-)

Squirrel22
02-08-2012, 10:15
Glad to have someone refer me to this site. I'm a newbie at backpacking. So new that I bought my first backpack only two weeks ago and gathering gear as I can. My immediate goal is local backpacking to get my body in shape. Luckily this is flat land around here, so I don't have to deal with any mountains yet!

X-Ray
02-22-2012, 20:17
Greetings folks, long time lurker, first time poster! I'm from Plymouth in the UK and have my NOBO thru hike penned for 2016.
I've previously section hiked the AT in PA only, and have experience hiking in the UK and Europe, including Santiago de Compostela.
I look forward to getting to know you all, learning from you, and helping if I can.

Red Trillium
02-24-2012, 14:01
Just saying HI! Getting back into hiking after a long time away, but going big. Planning to start a section hike on May 4th from Springer Mtn. I hope to make it to Gatlinburg before heading back to work, May 28th. Not planning on breaking any speed records so, if anyone is looking for a hiking buddy keep me in mind. Any and all advice is also welcome. My biggest concern is how to keep my pack weight down. Thanks and see you on the trail!

Guaranteed
02-24-2012, 22:27
Hello all,
Been reading for awhile, hiking for a bit longer and prepping for a SOBO this year. Looking forward to some doing serious reading and to meeting many of you out an the trail.
- Guaranteed

CrazyInside
02-27-2012, 18:08
Hello everybody. Been lurking here for quite a while.
I've been wanting to do a thru hike for 4 or 5 years now, and I'm getting older so I best be getting started. I'm planning on early spring 2013 nobo.
:)

Dawg
02-29-2012, 11:28
Hello everyone, new member here. I've been enjoying and learning from this site for awhile, so I thought I would jump in. I've been active all my life and as I get older I'm turning toward hiking (and mountain climbing). If all goes well I'll retire at the end of 2015 and do a thru in 2016. Until then, I'll be learning and doing shorter hikes as often as possible. Hope to meet many here on the trail!

trucker2015
03-03-2012, 10:18
Hey everyone,

Grate site. I'm new here but not to the trail. I had a failed attempt at a thru hike in 2002.Do to bad planing.
Now ten years later. I have started planing for a 2015 thru hike and I will make it this time.With three years to get ready. I live seven miles from the approach trail at Amicalola so I do spend a lot of time on the GA part of the trail and my wife and I plan to do some trail magic.So I see you on the trail.

saralyn
03-07-2012, 11:45
Hey everyone, been gaining information and researching a lot for a thru-hike next year. I'm so excited!
This is a great and informative community :)

the tick whisperer
03-11-2012, 19:54
Salutations, hikers!

I just signed up and figured I ought to check in here before diving into the good stuff. My name is Sarah and I'm in the planning stages of a 2013 northbound AT thru-hike. It was *supposed* to be this year (March 20), but I'm sure you all know about best-laid plans. But hey, it's only one more year -- one extra year to save more money, to squeeze in some more backpacking trips, to plan my return to work, and to get my hands on some more gear. :banana

CowHead
03-14-2012, 20:46
Why doesn't the paypal button work for donations?

ifish4wildtrout
03-16-2012, 14:51
New member here, looks like an awesome forum. I am an avid fly fisherman, not so much an avid hiker. I do 3-5 backpacking trips a year, all centered around fly fishing. I mostly backpack in GSMNP, but have done trips in Pisgah National Forest and Jefferson National Forest.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-16-2012, 15:04
Well I have to say thank you all for this site, once I found you guyS with all the info that I have found here am now planing on a Thru hike of the AT (2013)

Angel_Kisses
04-23-2012, 02:46
I'm very new to hiking, so there's a lottt I dont know....& in less than a month i'll be hiking about 2 weeks in Virginia...
it's definately going to be a challenge, but im looking forward to it.
hopefully i can learn more about this site......i have so many questions.
& btw Nice to meet you all.

RETCW4
04-23-2012, 10:03
Welcome to the site Angel_Kisses. You;ll find tons of info and advice here. Remember to hike your own hike and as with any forum there will be smart and comediac remarks. Happy trails.

Tumbleweed

Angel_Kisses
04-23-2012, 10:32
Thanks Tumbleweed.
Good advice..& as far as this site let the good times roll :)

camperjames64
05-05-2012, 05:43
Thank you for this site! Found all answers to all queries!enjoy AT while still can!shakabra!

SomeGuy
05-21-2012, 20:16
Thanks for the awesome site guys and gals! I plan on through hiking with my dog in 2013 when I graduate. Came to this site to learn some extra tips and hopefully keep me focused on my goal.

OzJacko
05-28-2012, 09:35
I think it's time I started being more active here.
I hiked the Bibbulmun Track last year (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12824) and am pretty well certain I will be hiking the AT in 2013 with a late March start. Will be hiking with my 25yo son Daniel.
Cheers
Jacko

Heyoka
05-28-2012, 19:07
Hey Whiteblaze! Thanks for being here! I have the time and money for a thru hike but I'm not sure if I have the dedication or the knees, though! So...it's a maybe leaning towards a probable for taking a shot at a thru hike in 2013. You've already benefited me greatly by guiding me towards much more appropriate gear. Lurking at whiteblaze has also been fantastic for information on expectations of trail life and difficulties.

jvengineers
06-06-2012, 06:59
Hello whiteblaze, Thanks for making this helpfull forum which is giving chance to everybody that they could share and discuss about their views and query with others . :)

firesign
06-08-2012, 09:11
Hi to all on whiteblaze.

Been long distance thru-hiking for a few years. Will be completing the LEJOG (UK) walk in 2013 (1,150 miles)
Looking at thru-hiking the AT in 2014, so lots of time to plan.

I wish you all well.

Anacondan
06-08-2012, 10:58
My sincerest Thanks to all at whiteblaze for providing a very informative site! Although I live in Montana, I hope to visit sometime and hike your beautiful trail. I rode the Blood Mountain Cooler Run while stationed in Alabama a long time ago. I remember wishing I could have hiked the AT then. Although my life has had many twists and turns, I have never given up the dream. Thank you again!

dancingleaf
06-09-2012, 11:25
Hello to All!!
I am new to WhiteBlaze and happy that I have stumbled upon this site.
My pack has been in the closet for a while and I look forward to dusting it off early this fall to do some hiking on the AT.
I have recently moved back to the East from California where I was introduced to backpacking in Yosemite and was instantly hooked.
I am gearing up for a short trip sometime in the early fall... wish I could do a thru hike.
Looking forward to strapping my pack and boots on again!!:jump

meigancam01
06-26-2012, 15:38
Thanks for the post; it has blog to be exactly I needed. I appreciate the information, well thought for anybody. Thank you !<a href="http://holy-food.org">holy food</a>

q-tip
06-26-2012, 18:38
It would be great if there was a way to upload Excel Spreadsheets.

TechnoD
06-28-2012, 05:28
Well here goes, I'm new here at white blaze and just wanna see what I can learn here, maybe some things I didn't already know!:-?

TechnoD

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 05:41
Well howdy,and:welcome to you both,yes much here to read,thousands of years of combined experience,fo sho.

Hairbear
06-28-2012, 06:04
the name rocket socks hmmm didnt wil e coyote try that to catch a road runner (grin) must just eat up the miles for sure.thanks for being a possitive force for new hikers.

Llama Legs
06-28-2012, 08:12
first piece of advice:

TheBirdman
06-29-2012, 14:31
Longtime creeper, first time poster. Great work everyone.

tazzerboy
06-30-2012, 00:48
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking unofficially here for a while reading/studying everyone's input. I figure that I needed to go ahead and sign-up.

I hope learn some more and eventually hit the AT. I'm a recent transplant in Central Florida who moved from Georgia. So, I also hope to meet other Floridians who love the outdoors and the mountains.

nightfighter4d
07-05-2012, 23:09
I went and did finally and signed up.

hikerboy57
07-06-2012, 08:40
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking unofficially here for a while reading/studying everyone's input. I figure that I needed to go ahead and sign-up.

I hope learn some more and eventually hit the AT. I'm a recent transplant in Central Florida who moved from Georgia. So, I also hope to meet other Floridians who love the outdoors and the mountains.

Welcome to Whiteblaze.
Im not sure what could possibly be better than the mountains of florida, but if you head to springer mtn and start hiking north, youll find out!
theres a lot of great information you can find on the home page articles section. then if you have a specific question, fire away. weve got a bunch of expert knuckleheads here to help you find answers.

yanna
07-09-2012, 05:47
hello there :)

SunnyWalker
07-09-2012, 18:39
I've been reading and enjoying WB for at least two years now. Just finally made a contribution and happy to do so. It'll be an annual thing. Thanks for the GREAT site and all you do to promote backpacking and the AT.

OK: here is a question-what is a "troll?" I have seen and myself, been accoused of being a "troll" or "trolling". At the time i was on reading and enjoying and making comments. OK, thanks!

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 19:06
I've been reading and enjoying WB for at least two years now. Just finally made a contribution and happy to do so. It'll be an annual thing. Thanks for the GREAT site and all you do to promote backpacking and the AT.

OK: here is a question-what is a "troll?" I have seen and myself, been accoused of being a "troll" or "trolling". At the time i was on reading and enjoying and making comments. OK, thanks!
just ignore the troll comments.contribute when you have something to say.

bicelaw
07-12-2012, 04:52
Nice Site. I have added my name and hope to gain some valuable info for my Trail Angel work that I look forward to so much each spring and summer. Have been baking homemade cookies and handing them out to thru hikers for two years from a downtown Waynesboro,VA office location. Have met some of the most wonderful people! I wish I could drop everything and go along with them! Sadly my office is no longer downtown as I have changed jobs but I travel the Blue Ridge Parkway to work every day now and plan to visit with the hikers there. Hoping to get some sort of feast or fest going in Waynesboro too for this years hikers. Won't compare to Damacus but it should be fun. I'd love to hear hikers ideas on what would be appealing. Look me up as you pass through! I am on the Free Hiker Shuttle call list that you get at the Rockfuish Gap Visitors Center.

stubborn persistence
07-18-2012, 21:11
Hi,I'm planning a section hike on the AT in sept. from Mass.to W V. I want to know if there has been any significant changes in this section.I have the 2009 Thru-Hikers Handbook[McCaw} Thanks, Stubborn Persistence

mr.rainmaker
07-20-2012, 15:27
Hello All! I am new to whiteblazes and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a section hiker and just wanted to get some information and maybe give some out.

Cheers

rocketsocks
07-20-2012, 15:30
Hello All! I am new to whiteblazes and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a section hiker and just wanted to get some information and maybe give some out.

CheersWell then you get one of these and :welcometo white blaze

PS I have appointed myself to the sunshine committee :sunhappy hiking

Inbetween
07-21-2012, 21:03
Hi All,
I've lived close to to the AT for over 20 years. I've hiked in the Massanutten a few times never giving the AT much thought. This June me and my wife took a mini vacation at Black Bear Resort in Hampton and learned all about the AT. Now I am infatuated with the AT. Now all I want to do is hike. WB is a great web site full of info.

Inbetween
SNP out the back door Massanutten out the front door.

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 21:09
Hi All,
I've lived close to to the AT for over 20 years. I've hiked in the Massanutten a few times never giving the AT much thought. This June me and my wife took a mini vacation at Black Bear Resort in Hampton and learned all about the AT. Now I am infatuated with the AT. Now all I want to do is hike. WB is a great web site full of info.

Inbetween
SNP out the back door Massanutten out the front door.real nice Inbetween :welcometo White Blaze

RoyalCannon
08-21-2012, 15:07
Been creeping a lot and finally signed up.

Hiked two sections of the AT so far. In 2009 my firends and I hiked Hwy 91 to dennis cove road by watauga lake in TN. In 2011 we hiked from fontana dam to clingmans.

Im researchig on doing a 2012 thru hike

RoyalCannon
08-21-2012, 15:15
And... I meant to say a 2013 thru hike

Tacky Hiker
08-21-2012, 16:33
Hello everyone. New to this forum !

Tacky Hiker
08-21-2012, 16:35
I forgot to mention (cant edit post yet) I have browsed the forum for a few years but finally signed up.

I did Standing Indian Loop last year in Oct. !!

Maddog
08-21-2012, 16:44
:welcometo Whiteblaze! Maddog:D

SixFizzle
08-23-2012, 22:34
hey everybody! I suppose I should have posted here first before jumping in a few other threads. I am a longtime camper and day/weekend hiker and recently found this site upon a recommendation from a friend. I hike the AT almost daily as the trail is about a half mile from my front door. Last week I took some water down to Dick's Dome because the spring there is pretty well dried up. Anyway, I got to reading the register and was totally jealous of all the thru hikers and their adventures. I immediately started planning a backpacking trip from Harper's Ferry to home. I hope to learn lots from this site and maybe find a few hiking buddies!

novicewalker
09-03-2012, 20:06
I am new to WhiteBlaze. Thank you for the welcome.:rolleyes: I want to walk a Southern section (Early Spring 2013) of the AP and have a few questions before I get started.
How far can I walk in a day? Trying to determine where to start and where I will end up bey the end of my time on the trail.
When is the Southern section the busiest? The least busy?
Are there medical stations on the trail?
Is there a standard trail section you would recommend for a beginner?
I look forward to hearing thoughts.
Novicewalker

DReynolds
09-15-2012, 03:26
Hey everyone,

I'm Danny. I'm new to the forum, and i'm researching and planning a 2013 Nobo thru hike. I'm just looking to get information, and meet other people leaving around the same time as me.

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

Peace

T-Rx
09-15-2012, 08:17
Hello Danny and welcome to WB. A great place to start your learning is to check out the links on the home page. You will find a lot of good info there compiled by people with a vast amount of backpacking experience. Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have but be aware there are a lot of varying ideas on the "right way" to do things. Learn, do your homework, and then decide what is right for you and go with it. HYOH. Welcome!:welcome

HikerMom58
09-15-2012, 09:32
HI Danny....Welcome!!

Canadian_Hiker
09-16-2012, 10:16
Hello from eastern Canada!

The name is Carl and I am new to the forum, just wanted to say!

trailcandy
09-20-2012, 03:55
Newbie to the site. West Texas planted in the Tri-Cities area with Roan Mountain in my backyard! Nice to meet everyone!

HikerMom58
09-20-2012, 10:09
:welcome Carl and trailcandy!! Welcome to WB!! So nice to have Roan Mountain in ur backyard...LUCKY!! Nice to meet both of you.

Maddog
09-20-2012, 10:20
Welcome to WB! Maddog:D

BumperMcV
10-05-2012, 19:16
Greetings, I'm a newbie from Florida. I've had my feet on a few sections of the AT, but only on day hikes. I'm hoping to start sectioning next week and see how it goes. Bringing a couple friends to Springer and see where we end up after three days (I actually have a plan but will play it by ear or is it by foot ??)

HikerMom58
10-05-2012, 21:38
Haha!! Welcome BumperMcV!

moytoy
10-06-2012, 06:37
Greetings, I'm a newbie from Florida. I've had my feet on a few sections of the AT, but only on day hikes. I'm hoping to start sectioning next week and see how it goes. Bringing a couple friends to Springer and see where we end up after three days (I actually have a plan but will play it by ear or is it by foot ??)

Welcome.....Springer is a good place to start:)

Lone Wolf
10-06-2012, 07:12
Hey everyone,

I'm Danny. I'm new to the forum, and i'm researching and planning a 2013 Nobo thru hike. I'm just looking to get information, and meet other people leaving around the same time as me.

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

Peaceadvice? start around april 15th, have about $4000 in the bank, do very few mail drops for food if none at all and throw out any itinerary once you start walkin'

cdngrl
10-08-2012, 13:35
Hi! I'm new here. I've done a couple of day AT hikes, but my husband and I plan on section-hiking the Georgia section in the fall of 2013. I'm hoping to do a thru-hike in 2016 in my 40th year :) Love learning more about the trail and preparing for my upcoming hikes.

HikerMom58
10-08-2012, 19:41
Hi! I'm new here. I've done a couple of day AT hikes, but my husband and I plan on section-hiking the Georgia section in the fall of 2013. I'm hoping to do a thru-hike in 2016 in my 40th year :) Love learning more about the trail and preparing for my upcoming hikes.

Welcome cdngrl! Hope u find helpful info that you need here.... :)

Dr.B
10-11-2012, 06:10
Hello everyone,
My name is Banner.I'm a newbie here and feeling glad to be a part of this great community.Hope you guys will enjoy my company. :)

S'more
10-12-2012, 18:32
Hi all! New here. I have done many day hikes, but planning to section hike for a couple, then a thru- hike in the next few years.

HikerMom58
10-12-2012, 21:15
Hi S'more...........

DugK
10-15-2012, 09:20
Hi All,
I have been reading and watching this forum for a little while, figured I would introduce myself.
Thanks to all who contribute their knowledge of this forum. I enjoy reading it then applying it.
Doug.

Thad
10-18-2012, 14:26
Hi folks,
I Just joined. My son and I did a very short two day hike this Summer in the Smokies. First day to Charlie's Bunion and back and the next day to Clingman's Dome. We just got our feet wet so to speak, but we're both psyched. I've been reading about the At and fantasizing about it for years and finally got the chance to hike a very short portion. I'm now completely hooked. For the next few years I'll have to section hike, starting next year at Springer Mountain. I plan to attempt a thru hike when I retire in about four years. Thanks everyone for the forum.

A_Body_In_Motion
10-19-2012, 11:01
Hello everyone,

Thank you to all of those who make this website possible, and those who make all those great trails out there great to hike on.
From Roanoke, VA, and while growing up, spent a lot of time deeper into S.W. VA. Currently on year five of a six year Navy Enlistment as a Hospital Corpsman. I live in the City of San Diego, CA. 33 years old
1. Intentions are to solo hike along the AT 2014. Tentatively looking at a Jan start, and being inserted around Springer Mountain. 10-20 mile pace/daily. Goal would be NOVA finish, without a time line issue. I hope to have the logistics planned out for continued hike. Interested in a flip flop, with flight to Maine to walk southbound.
Hopefully, I want get banned because I intend to blue blaze. Reasons for AT: Social hike, good trail markers, and great logistical support (granted that will be greatly reduced with a Jan start).
2. Hiker background. Limited. Walked around Mount Rogers for a few hours (MAR2009). Hiked Virginia Creeper Trail (White Top to Abingdon in 34 miles in 12 hours) SEP2010. Was destroyed with 10 miles to go, but after my last 30 minute rest, I Frankensteind my way for three hours before getting up to top speed. Would have called in for an extraction, but had no phone, so had to keep ruckin. Had some trail magic with some concerned folks as I got closer to Abingdon. Recently did a good 12 mile hike in the Grand Canyon. Did a good amount of hiking with Marines from 2/8 and 3/2 while with the 2nd MarDiv.
Asset to community: Could possibly help with logistics for a Pacific Crest Trail Insert into Campo, San Diego. Between now and SEP 2013.
Back in VA, could be of support for AT Hikers on Catawba Mountain VA route 311. I’m thinking “The Home Place" resturant. Most likely can help with this after the fall of 2013.
Health: Good joints, and strong back, but struggles with possible planter fasciitis that comes and goes in feet depending on how much I jog/walk around.
Interested in getting involved with AT club in Damascus or Roanoke Are; or the Breaks Interstate Park.
Current Conditioning for hike: Cross fit, biking to work (4.3 miles) and incline treadmill 3 miles (slowly work my way up to 15%+ grade near the end of the three miles). Will later do some hiking in Dickenson County, VA, the fall of 2013 to get into peak condition.
Books read: Hike Your Own Hike. Read a couple of books on the P.C.T. and the C.D.T.
Interested in the G.E.T., but logistical support does not compare to the AT. Sure, G.E.T. is less populated, but if the weather is mild in the new year of 2014 on the A.T., I should beat the big March Push out of Springer Mountain.

Have a good'n.

HiT
10-19-2012, 23:14
Hello everyone,

New to the site and haven't had a chance to look around yet. I just moved to Florida from Washington State about a week ago and decided I would like to start planning the AT in sections. I was a very avid hiker and climber in Washington. Looks like I will start kayaking now that I am in Florida. :-?

Anyhoo... just wanted to say hi and thanks to the powers to be for having such a forum. I am sure I will gather much information for my journeys! :)

BumperMcV
10-19-2012, 23:22
Greetings Hit,

Where in Florida are you. I did a bit of kayaking around the Tampa area. Just finished 3 days going from Springer to Woody Gap.

HiT
10-19-2012, 23:38
Greetings Hit,

Where in Florida are you. I did a bit of kayaking around the Tampa area. Just finished 3 days going from Springer to Woody Gap.

I am in Destin. I am sure it will be at least a year or two before I start my journey. Planning on starting in Georgia of course.

Nicb0069
10-27-2012, 22:31
Well its about time that I finally registered an account and introduced myself. My name is Nick and I'm planning a 2014 thru hike. Grew up hiking the mid-atlantic and new england sections and can't wait to experience the whole thing. Thanks to the creators and members for such amazing and helpful information sharing.

THE DANGLER
10-28-2012, 00:21
Hello all,
I hope it's not frowned upon that I have never have been on the AT trail and honestly I'm not sure if I'll ever get the chance. I am a member of hammockforums.net and I've heard this forum referenced a bunch of times there. So I figured I'd check you guys out. I'm really liking the site you guys have here. Lots of great information that isn't necessarily AT specific. While I don't have any insights into that particular part of the country, I think that there is a lot of crossover when talking about camping in any part of the country. I have a lot of interest in diy projects and have done a few myself, so hopefully I can contribute something to your community here. I primarily camp/hang in the sierras as well as the CA coast and coastal mountains/foothills out here. Thanks to you all for the great site and forum you have going here.

HikerMom58
10-28-2012, 11:56
Hello all,
I hope it's not frowned upon that I have never have been on the AT trail and honestly I'm not sure if I'll ever get the chance. I am a member of hammockforums.net and I've heard this forum referenced a bunch of times there. So I figured I'd check you guys out. I'm really liking the site you guys have here. Lots of great information that isn't necessarily AT specific. While I don't have any insights into that particular part of the country, I think that there is a lot of crossover when talking about camping in any part of the country. I have a lot of interest in diy projects and have done a few myself, so hopefully I can contribute something to your community here. I primarily camp/hang in the sierras as well as the CA coast and coastal mountains/foothills out here. Thanks to you all for the great site and forum you have going here.

Welcome to Whiteblaze. I like ur username.. perfect for the hammock hanger. :) Maybe you can make it to the east coast someday. In the meantime, it will be interesting to hear of ur hikes on the west coast.

1peanut
10-29-2012, 23:43
If your hiking around Pearisburg VA and need a shuttle Don Raines is your man. He not only shuttled us (at a very resonable price) but he let us know he was there if we needed him, and we did. He was AWESOME.

pschlacter01
11-01-2012, 15:36
welcome for all

ajames
11-02-2012, 09:37
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I know that forums are a good place to learn and interact with other people , so that People can share their experience with each other.

NaturalHiker
11-03-2012, 13:50
Good day everybody. I grew up hiking around Southern Indiana, but now reside in Southern California. Im planning a 2013 thru-hike but have never done a long distance hike so i have many questions to come! I have about half my gear now, but still have many more questions on the rest of the gear i still need to acquire. I've been going out and bagging as many peaks as i can within the area and plan on doing a few small sections of the PCT to get me in the rhythm before i head east in the spring. Spent 6 year's landscaping as the head laborer of the crew and my free time has always been spent being active skateboarding, hiking, traveling, slacklining, surfing, riding bikes, climbing trees, going to music festivals, being a free spirit and just loving life. I've been looking forward to doing this hike for a really long time. I could ramble on forever but for now i want to go climb Cuyamaca Peak (6512 ft.) in the Cuyamaca mountain range and enjoy the beautiful sunny day. Happy Trails!

HikerMom58
11-03-2012, 14:09
Welcome A James and NaturalHiker :welcome

Stalking Tortoise
11-03-2012, 22:28
Howdy folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've probably met a few of you out on the trail over the past 10 years as my hiking partner Smoking Sox and I have been completing various sections. We're looking at hiking from Pearisburg to Catawba in the spring then starting into New Hampshire over the summer and fall.

I got my trail name on my first section hike in 2003. In the first 30 minutes of the hike, I passed another hiker (RestStep), recognized him from his on-line journal, and greeted him by name. My friends called me a trail stalker and eventually softened it to Stalking Tortoise since I was always the last one into the shelter.

See y'all out on the trail!

T-Rx
11-03-2012, 22:36
Welcome to WB Tortoise! :welcome

pschlacter01
11-05-2012, 19:54
welcome for all

ringz
11-08-2012, 17:46
Hello new to the forum from South Jersey.

FarmerChef
11-08-2012, 18:03
Welcome to Whiteblaze ringz! :welcome

Nicknack
11-12-2012, 16:30
Hi everyone!

My name is Nick and I currently am attending Virginia Tech. I got into backpacking a year ago and have hiked along the AT and in Philmont with the Boy Scouts. I hope to learn some more about backpacking and about any cool hikes you guys can recommend!

RBrauerei
11-15-2012, 22:29
This is about as good as an intro as you could hope to find.

Written in 2007 and 3 pages into the 33 page "Welcome thread"... Sort of like digging into an old latrine pit and finding a silver dollar. :cool:

RBrauerei
11-15-2012, 22:32
You want tips? Here they are. They are useless unless you have (a) a mind and (b) the willingness to use it. If you lack either, you shouldn't be in either this Forum or on the AT, so consider this good training:

1) No one here is your Mommy, even if your Mommy is here. No one is a tin dictator. You can say and do anything you want, within the limits of the rarely-implemented User Agreement, except for disagreeing with me. You don't want to do that, since if you do, you'll get about 400 wild rants posted by me about how you're the one that's wrong, but I can't delete your posts or throw you out. Only ATTroll, Dixicritter or Sgt. Rock can do that.

2) This is a bunch of friends and people who tolerate each other (which is not always the same thing). There are no self-appointed experts who you must genuflect before when they utter their opinion, even if they have been around as long as me. Ignore opinions you don't like, or, unless they are mine (see above) disagree all you want. You may have 13 minutes of experience in backpacking, and be correct, while someone who has thru hiked the AT multiple times (and, unlike some people on other sites who remind you about it every day or two) like Jack Tarlin may be wrong (actually, Jack is wrong about almost everything, since he mostly posts about politics, and he's a Republican, which is amazing since he's a pretty nice guy, too, but when he says something about the Trail, he's not blowing smoke. Usually, anyhow). So don't be deferential to anyone (other than me, see above).

3) There are very few obsessive-compulsive neat freaks involved in this site. Forums are created for no particular good reason other than Troll, Dixi, or Rock (who spent huge time running much of this place while trying to keep the peace in beautiful downtown Baghdad and other such pleasure spots) felt like it. Thread drift is rampant, and flame wars (often started by irresponsible dolts who disagreed with me, see above) run on for days, weeks, years (don't believe me? look at the dog threads). No one really minds.

4) If you want information, it is findable but you may need to look for it. "Search" has good advanced features, but best is to create a thread and ask for help. It's provided. People here may disagree with each other, but they also help each other. Consider it a preview for what you will see, or have seen (yeah, that's not a preview, go to hell) on the Trail. Not once will you be let down if you ask for help about a topic or anything else.

5) If you want to debate/discuss/read about things other than the trail, go to the "sensitive" and/or Non Trail forums. Things get very vicious there, depending on the topics. Don't waste your time if you don't care about such things and/or if you have a thin skin.

6) Use the "new posts" button to stay current, if you don't subscribe. It will show you what is topical. It is very Zen doing that. After a while, it's all you need. Zen, that is.

7) Enjoy the Trail, as well as WhiteBlaze. WhiteBlaze is for people who are individualistic, cooperative, have opinions, a lot of skills (trail and otherwise), and dreams and hopes and fears. It's a crappy place for people who need to be told how to think and how to act and how to behave and how kiss someone else's thruhiking heinie. Here, HYOH is what matters, and you don't have to HDBH. It's like being on the trail itself. As such, it is a real trail place.

Start walking.

The Weasel
Good luck.

See above; still have to learn the navigation buttons. And I've been registered since 2009 and have now made my 4th post! :D

HikerMom58
11-15-2012, 22:39
welcome for all

:welcome pschlascter01

HikerMom58
11-15-2012, 22:41
See above; still have to learn the navigation buttons. And I've been registered since 2009 and have now made my 4th post! :D

Welcome... That's about the same thing that happened to me!! Congrats on your 4th post!!:D

RBrauerei
11-15-2012, 22:43
I think that some of us who've been here awhile and visit just about every day tend to forget that this doesn't describe everyone here.......there are lots of new folks, in fact there are probably new folks every single day.

Just wanted to welcome you all, and encourage you to take part. If you're looking for information on hiking on the A.T., especially if you're looking for information on planning and preparing for a long trip, you've come to the best place on the web.

And we're very happy to have you all here!

Interesting point. I've started going through this "Welcome thread" from Page 1 and am on about Page 5. I've already been struck by the number of people with less than 100 posts (from the year 2007/08) and the few number of posts from "old timers" with 1000s of posts. Just an observation. Probably means nothing. And I've joined in 2009 and lurked for 1 year. Then went dormant for 2 years. I guess the moral of the story is you gotta play to win. ;)

HikerMom58
11-15-2012, 22:43
I am ready to go backpacking. Never tried this before but I think this will be fun.

Jean Thomas
chicshave.com

Hey there jeanthomas welcome to WB... nice to have you here!!

Hi everyone!

My name is Nick and I currently am attending Virginia Tech. I got into backpacking a year ago and have hiked along the AT and in Philmont with the Boy Scouts. I hope to learn some more about backpacking and about any cool hikes you guys can recommend!

Hey Nick.. you aren't too far down the road from me. :welcome to WB.

RBrauerei
11-15-2012, 23:00
"If you ever travel back in time, don't step on anything because even the tiniest change can alter the future in ways you can't imagine." - Abe Simpson

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:0R5TlJbufuBrhM:http://lessimpson.allmyblog.com/images/lessimpson/lessimpson_20060417_193939.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://lessimpson.allmyblog.com/images/lessimpson/lessimpson_20060417_193939.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php%3Faz%3Dview_all%26address%3D132x462957 6&usg=__6070YShWH1HFju-ARVXMjon0Pfc=&h=420&w=347&sz=25&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=0R5TlJbufuBrhM:&tbnh=125&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dabe%2Bsimpson%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff% 26sa%3DG%26um%3D1)

Finally, the warning I've been waiting for! :D Stop reading the old welcome posts and get on with the future!

trailwobbles
11-25-2012, 16:08
Hi all, been trolling for a while but I thought I'd introduce myself. My husband and I are planning a 200 mile trek in June, and we are just getting started in our planning. He has experience completing a 2 week long hut to hut in NE, but I am a backpacking novice. Done lots of car camping and day hikes but am SEVERELY green when it comes to the overnight stuff.

I'm interested in finding people in MD doing day hikes in the area. I know there are a couple of clubs around but I haven't contact anyone yet.

Anyways I hope to talk to some of you soon!

HikerMom58
11-25-2012, 16:27
Welcome :) trailwobbles!!

RETCW4
11-25-2012, 21:39
18211 This is why I hike overnight. So I can wake up to this.

Welcome, trailwobbles.

Tumbleweed

Hi all, been trolling for a while but I thought I'd introduce myself. My husband and I are planning a 200 mile trek in June, and we are just getting started in our planning. He has experience completing a 2 week long hut to hut in NE, but I am a backpacking novice. Done lots of car camping and day hikes but am SEVERELY green when it comes to the overnight stuff.

I'm interested in finding people in MD doing day hikes in the area. I know there are a couple of clubs around but I haven't contact anyone yet.

Anyways I hope to talk to some of you soon!

hopsnhawks
11-27-2012, 16:37
howdy folks

midwest/west coaster who has decided that hiking the entire AT in small chunks is the proper thing to do

will hopefully be using this forum to plan out strategies as they arise

appreciate any help you all can give me

hikerboy57
11-27-2012, 19:13
well its not the proper thing to do, but a lot of us do it that way anyway.:)
welcome to whiteblaze.we're very passionate about our trail
theres a lot of great articles on the home page, and a lot of great people here to give you whatever help you need.
shoes.you need good shoes

Son Driven
12-15-2012, 23:20
This forum is going to make it difficult, to keep my vow to leave the electronics behind. Planning on hitting the Springer Mountain early March, 2013.

Son Driven - Minneapolis

HikerMom58
12-15-2012, 23:41
Just embrace it... welcome to WB!:sun

FMC
12-17-2012, 22:08
hi to all. I am new to forums and am thrilled to have found WB. The info I have gathered has already made a big difference in planning my 2013 thru this coming March (GAME). Many thanks to all the contributors.

walknrow
12-18-2012, 11:20
Welcome FMC (and others)! Good Luck with planning your hike/s! :)

RETCW4
12-18-2012, 13:16
Welcome to WhieBaze, FMC. I too will be attempting a thru hike in 2013. Good luck on your hike and hope to see you on the trail.

drknight
12-22-2012, 13:00
welcome....

Trucky308
12-28-2012, 16:36
Hello to all. New into the world of hiking, so please be patient if I ask a dumb question. Happy Holidays and I look forward to talking with you.

The Wanna Bs
01-08-2013, 13:48
Bob and I are registered as one. We plan to hike the trail after I retire. This will make me 66 and Bob 70. We will need that much time to learn, get into shape, find gear we can afford, and make other preps as necessary any way. I am determined to hike the AT. The desire is consuming. I am reading all I find. It may take me until 2018 to read all on this forum and the hammock forum, which I also love. Hammocking gave us hope that we could actually do this trip in our old age. Any advice offered to us older folks will be appreciated. I am also an avid reader of the trailjournals site.

Zeus Velasquez
01-09-2013, 23:33
Hey huys ! I am new here, I joined this week .

RETCW4
01-10-2013, 11:03
Welcome to Whiteblaze, Zeus.

MoonStomper
01-18-2013, 02:43
Hi everyone! Greetings from Austin, TX. Just joined up. So much good info on here. Recently began getting back into recreational hiking w/ a goal of attempting the AT in a yr or two. My main hiking xp is in TX growing up & later in the Army ..(after a long day on the trail, pitching a tent is much more enjoyable than digging a fighting position). Really looking forward to getting to know some folks on here and picking up some much needed tips. Thanks.

Harry D. Stumpf
01-18-2013, 21:39
White Blaze,

Planning to start my through hike at Springer Mt. in March. Anyone in the Atlanta area, where I'm getting ready, who would like to talk about preparations and the hike, please get back to me at 770-473-4253, or [email protected].

Harry

Cosmo95
01-28-2013, 15:30
Hello. It's GREAT to jump into this nifty cool "Whiteblaze" forum--nearly 17 years since completing my 2 year thru-hike of the A.T. Look forward to interacting with y'all, veterans and prospectives alike!
--Cosmo '95-'96

tjmeir67
01-28-2013, 18:50
Ok this all new to me. I am fascinated with AT since my husband's cousin hiked in 2010 (I think). Anyway, we went down to get an introduction into hiking the AT by Blaze in the end of Oct 12 and yes we were introduced to Super Storm Sandy. She hindered our hike and altered our plans, but I am happy for what she did for us. Although we did not stay on the trail over night like I had hoped, we did two day hikes that I totally loved. Right now my favorite places on the AT are Dragon's Tooth and McAfee Knob. I am planning on coming back, just not sure when. I am hoping towards the end of May, but I don't know where to start my hike. I will only have 1-2 weeks time. Got any suggestions?

tjmeir67
01-28-2013, 19:04
I am considering including the Grayson Highlands in the hike, but I also want to experience being around some thru-hikers, as if I ever am unemployed or when I retire I do want to thru hike. And I think it would be a great benefit to hike and visit with some long distance hikers.

dunmare1
01-29-2013, 18:59
Hi all.....I have been lurking for sometime now! My husband and I are planning on hiking 300 miles of the AT in 2013 and the rest of it 2014! We are looking forward to this amazing adventure that is ahead of us! Thank you in advance for all your priceless info you will share with us!

Piske41
02-12-2013, 11:56
Good Morning WB!

I am migrating from /r/AppalachianTrail over on Reddit. I am in the early planning stages for a 2015 NOBO Thru. I've never done long-distance hiking, but that will be changing! I have no gear (as of yet) and have only done day hikes & a bit of camping. My plan is to acquire some cheaper used gear in 2013 and get my outdoor "legs" under me through all-day hikes, weekend trips, and maybe a week long hike at some point in the Fall.

Then in 2014, I'll be starting to acquire newer gear - find what works for me and what doesn't. Also, more hiking of course! All in preparation for setting out in early March '15 from Springer :)

- Michael

Ewok11
02-14-2013, 15:00
I've been lurking here for a while, so I decided maybe I should finally join. I have future plans to thru hike one day but it will be a few years in the future before possible due to family, current jobs and debt. Thank you for creating a place for this mass of information.

Survivalen
02-18-2013, 13:19
Welcome from NC!

Cosmo95
02-18-2013, 14:55
Hey there, Michael. I can hear the enthusiasm bursting forth from your post. Nice! Definitely keep pursuing this dream. But why do you have to put it off til 2015? Still in school? I'm only asking because sometimes when we put things off TOO far into the future, the needling little distractions of life have a way of bumping off a dream without you hardly even noticing it.

Definitely, one doesn't need two years to train and prepare and gather gear for a thru hike. A year is good, for sure. You don't want to sprain an ankle, get stress fractures etc. And certainly you don't want to run out of money (this happened to me during my thru hike in 1995...aaaaugh! ), but if there's nothing stopping you (e.g., school, weddings etc.) I exhort you to try for spring of 2014...

blessings,
Cosmo95

Cosmo95
02-18-2013, 14:56
Grayson Highlands is DIVINE. You'll love the pygmy ponies the most...:)

Cosmo95
02-18-2013, 15:00
Better to ask lots of dumb questions now--before your hike; saves you from having to recount lists of dumb mistakes you made later on!
Trust me--I know!

So ask away!

Crusinsusan
02-24-2013, 01:51
Helllllooooo there all! Thank you so very much for this forum,....I've learned so much reading here, as I gear-up for 2014 (maybe,....possibly.....we'll see). I had so many questions...and found most of the answers here. So, I finally registered,...so look out....I'm going to go ask things!

rulf
03-10-2013, 05:55
Hello everybody,

Im new to the forums and I'm excited to check out all the content.

Wish you all the best.

FatHead64
03-12-2013, 18:17
Hello everybody,

Im new to the forums and I'm excited to check out all the content.

Wish you all the best.

Welcome! :cool:

TwoSpirits
03-13-2013, 07:02
Hello,

I too have been lurking and reading thru various threads -- excited to find out there are so many people so similar to myself, intrigued by all the people with so much experience, and happy to see so many sharing their experiences and insights. This looks like a great forum, and I'm looking forward to learning more. I am a young 50-something who enjoys getting out hiking and camping as often as possible...although I haven't yet combined those two activities into one: backpacking. I've done a fair amount of canoe camping in the past, but my camping experience in the last several years has been car camping. I don't knock that -- I've enjoyed every minute (especially since I go in the "off seasons" to avoid the crowds) -- but I'm interested in expanding my horizons a bit and trying some backpacking. Maybe I'll never do any part of the AT, but I can't think of a better aspiration...and I can't think of a better place to start than here.

Looking forward to learning more. Thanks.

hikerboy57
03-13-2013, 07:33
welcome to whiteblaze.theres a lot of great information here. if you havent already done so, check out the articles on the home page. if you have a specific question, just go ahead and ask.there are a lot of really good people here . remember though, there is no one "right"way to hike, so you may get conflicting opinions from time to time, but in the end, its all good

Silent Bob
03-14-2013, 06:01
Hi all, I been lurking for sometime and finally decided to sign up.I can't retire for another ten years so I' m just a section hiker. I love the trail, it's one of the only places where I feel like I belong. I'm hoping to make some new friends and learn how to make my pack a weeee bit lighter.
Dude

rocketsocks
03-14-2013, 06:17
Hi all, I been lurking for sometime and finally decided to sign up.I can't retire for another ten years so I' m just a section hiker. I love the trail, it's one of the only places where I feel like I belong. I'm hoping to make some new friends and learn how to make my pack a weeee bit lighter.
Dude:welcomeyou came to the right place, lots of good info here.

hikerboy57
03-14-2013, 06:21
Dude
just?
just a section hiker?
section hiking is a noble class of hiker. most section hikers will hike way more miles over the course of their lives than most thrus.not to mention the logistics of section hiking can be somewhat more difficult.
welcome to whiteblaze.

Silent Bob
03-14-2013, 07:59
just?
just a section hiker?
section hiking is a noble class of hiker. most section hikers will hike way more miles over the course of their lives than most thrus.not to mention the logistics of section hiking can be somewhat more difficult.
welcome to whiteblaze.

HB, I agree with you 100 percent. I like to stay in shape so at any given time I can go out and do a section. The reason I said just is because one day before I check out I would like to attempt a thru hike.
Thanks for the welcome ... Dude :)

Silent Bob
03-14-2013, 08:00
:welcomeyou came to the right place, lots of good info here.

Thanks for the welcome one sock.... Dude

barberino
04-03-2013, 18:49
Very impressed with some of the content on the forum.

College kid, last summer, going to play good and spend the summer on the trail. Won't have a place to call home anyway as my lease will be up, roommates moving out, and parents are relocating. Goin' low budget. Got gear, Eagle scout, not my first rodeo, but always seeking improvement. We'll see how far I go, starting second week of May, ending third week of August. Will have to leave temporarily in the middle of July for a sister's wedding. It's getting better all the time!

camron
04-13-2013, 09:02
Hello and welcome to all new and existing forum members, As I am also new and have just joined the white-blaze forum. So that would be some nice place to have some chat with other forum members as there are some very nice topics and discussion.
Thanks. . .

Wandering Deer
04-21-2013, 09:45
Hello! I've been here before, but figured I would say hello, and greet you all once more! I've thru-hiked the MMM Trail, which is now a majority of the NET, three times, Vermont's "Long Trail" once, and I've also done the entire MA portion of the AT. Happy hiking!

Melissa Meadow
04-22-2013, 11:32
Hi, I am new and am in love with the AT. Hoping to make new friends with hikers! And I have some questions to ask. Nice to meet you guys.

icdaywee
04-23-2013, 14:11
Hey!

I am a complete gearhead and that is what first brought me to Whiteblaze, but as I browsed through the forums the idea of completing a Thru Hike on the AT just keeps on resonating with me and I think Thoreau says it best, "We cannot see anything until we are possesed with the idea of it, take it into our heads, and then we can hardly see anything else." I am tired of sitting in front of a computer at a desk job and am looking to get out.

I am hoping to be a part of the 2014 class and will be planning and preparing over the next year and I know this forum will be a great asset. Thanks for all the information that I have obtained so far and Thanks in advance for all the extra knowledge I will gain here!

bright
04-25-2013, 04:11
I'm here just to say hello to everyone. I'm a newbie at this forum, I looked through some threads and found them very interesting that' why I joined this forum.

TrustMeImNice
04-25-2013, 05:37
hello everyone! I am new to this forum.. :jumpI've been checking posts here and decided to join the community...

Nytro
04-30-2013, 21:31
I have hiked the AT only in New Jersey, im going to school for an ABSN of nursing. In a year I would like to begin sectionally hiking the whole AT. Very excited!

tolowo80
01-12-2014, 18:14
Hello AT forum. I'm really glad to that a fellow hiker suggested I check this site out. I'm seeing tons of great knowledge and info sharing. I live neer Harpers Ferry and Annapolis rock section of the trail. I've hiked / trail run these sections for a few years. Hoping one day to do a thru hike. Jopw to see ya on the trail... T

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Deer Hunter
01-12-2014, 18:19
Welcome tolowo!

HikerMom58
01-13-2014, 10:00
Welcome tolowo!

Nice find, DH... welcome tolowo80!

Wow.. I'm lovin the TrustMeImNice username... that ROCKS!

Damn Yankee
01-17-2014, 11:25
I am happy to have found this sight and thank you for allowing me to contribute. The AT has been calling me for many years and now that I have the time, I hope to get out and enjoy it. I am originally from Mass. but have transplanted myself in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley in VA. I am 51 years old and a 23 year vet of the Army and have lots of experience in living outdoors. I have spent many months in the Sonoma desert working on the Border Patrol, Have hiked up Mt. Washington in summer and winter and have spent many days in the woods here in VA. hunting the native Brook Trout. During my tour in Iraq in 08-09 I injured my back and pretty much was laid up for a long time. That being said, I am overweight and out of shape but, working on getting in better shape by walking and backpacking. My hope is that by the last week in April to May 16-18 I will be able to hike from Harpers Ferry to Damascus for Trail Days. I am slowly building on my gear as my limited income allows but still need to gather a few things. I hope to catch you on the trail.

HikerMom58
01-17-2014, 12:09
Hey... I'm just around the corner from you. I'm a Damn Yankee too! ;) I love living in the South!

Nice to have you here!

Damn Yankee
01-17-2014, 13:17
Nice. I read your post about hiking alone on the AT and would love to join you sometime. Where are you from originally?

HikerMom58
01-18-2014, 10:41
I'm from New Hampshire. How about you?

Yeah, I don't hike alone... just with my daughter. :)

skintchicken
01-26-2014, 23:52
hello everyone. i'm new to long distance hiking, but i have hiked lots of day trails in various state and national parks. i also enjoy camping. i hiked a very small portion of the AT in GSMNP several years ago. i recently decided i want to thru hike the AT and have started saving money. i'm planning on a spring 2016 nobo trip. this is an awesome resource for newcomers and it seems like a great place to connect to other AT people in general.

HikerMom58
01-27-2014, 00:07
Welcome to WB skintchicken!! Jump right in and make yourself at home!

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2014, 13:33
HM....Damn Yankee is going to join us on our Snickers Gap to Keyes Gap hike on the way to your place.....and who knows what else. DY....are you up for James River w/ HM, DeerHunter, Furlough, JohnnyBGood and a cast of thousands? April 26....check out the Spring Trip 2014 group on my profile page.

Deer Hunter
01-27-2014, 13:39
HM....Damn Yankee is going to join us on our Snickers Gap to Keyes Gap hike on the way to your place.....and who knows what else. DY....are you up for James River w/ HM, DeerHunter, Furlough, JohnnyBGood and a cast of thousands? April 25....check out the Spring Trip 2014 group on my profile page.

Glad he's going to join ya, Teach. DY is already in the group. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2014, 13:47
Shows how well I keep track, DH.....I've got to get organized! This year's trip is a month-long odyssey that I'm hoping will rival a Cecil B DeMille movie in terms of the cast of hikers we meet! All I have to do for now is try to keep track of when we're hiking and with whom!

Deer Hunter
01-27-2014, 14:40
Shows how well I keep track, DH.....I've got to get organized! This year's trip is a month-long odyssey that I'm hoping will rival a Cecil B DeMille movie in terms of the cast of hikers we meet! All I have to do for now is try to keep track of when we're hiking and with whom!

No problem, I understand. Lots of planning going on for you.

One Brown Mouse
01-30-2014, 10:33
Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself.

I've been lurking in these forums without an account for several months but Ill be starting the long walk this April so I thought I'd make a few posts before I set off!

Deer Hunter
01-30-2014, 11:53
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

2014flipper
02-06-2014, 16:44
Hi all! Thanks for the wealth of information from you wise and experienced hikers. As my user ID suggests, (it is not a trail name... don't have that yet) I am planning a flip-flop hike this year. The plan is to go from Harper's Ferry to Springer first, then return to Harper's Ferry to head north to Katahdin. Looking forward to meeting you on the trail!

aficion
02-06-2014, 17:49
Hi all! Thanks for the wealth of information from you wise and experienced hikers. As my user ID suggests, (it is not a trail name... don't have that yet) I am planning a flip-flop hike this year. The plan is to go from Harper's Ferry to Springer first, then return to Harper's Ferry to head north to Katahdin. Looking forward to meeting you on the trail!

Likewise thanks for the wealth of information, support, humor, and just plain old puttin' up with one another that
we enjoy here.
My current plan for a non conventional thru is to walk home twice. Beginning at Katahdin in Mid July and then flippin' to Springer to walk back here through the fall. Hope to do it in the next couple of years. I will keep you posted.
Thanks ATTroll for the welcome, and more especially for the wonderful Website. Don't know where we would be without it.:)

Drybones
02-06-2014, 18:37
HM....Damn Yankee is going to join us on our Snickers Gap to Keyes Gap hike on the way to your place.....and who knows what else. DY....are you up for James River w/ HM, DeerHunter, Furlough, JohnnyBGood and a cast of thousands? April 25....check out the Spring Trip 2014 group on my profile page.

How many miles and days is this hike you have planned?

Teacher & Snacktime
02-06-2014, 19:42
How many miles and days is this hike you have planned?

Pick a hike, any hike....... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/group.php?groupid=37

aficion
02-06-2014, 19:55

Had that down for the 26th. Looks like I'm gonna need a new secretary.

max patch
02-06-2014, 20:01

What is your start date and what are you trying to accomplish by doing this?

Teacher & Snacktime
02-06-2014, 20:02
Had that down for the 26th. Looks like I'm gonna need a new secretary.

IT IS THE 26TH !!!! Whichever day is the Saturday.....I keep screwing it up, sorry.

HikerMom58
02-07-2014, 00:48
Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself.

I've been lurking in these forums without an account for several months but Ill be starting the long walk this April so I thought I'd make a few posts before I set off!

Hi One Brown Mouse! :)

Kraken Skullz
02-21-2014, 11:55
Newest of the noobs. Figured this would be a good place for my first post on the forum. Looking forward to helping and being helped by this great community of people.

Valerie
02-23-2014, 19:14
First post and thought this would be a good place to start. My husband and I are planning an 18 day section hike in mid September. I am totally new to hiking and have a lot to do to get in shape but I'm very excited. We are planning to go southbound from Atkins VA to Erwin TN. Does this sound doable for 18 days?

HikerMom58
02-23-2014, 20:42
Nice section, Valerie! Welcome to WB! :)

Your mileage capabilities starting out as a newbie hiker is hard to predict. You can plan to start hiking and hopefully end at your planned ending point but you never know what might come up to prevent that.

Again,nice to have you here! :)

Valerie
02-23-2014, 21:05
Nice section, Valerie! Welcome to WB! :)

Your mileage capabilities starting out as a newbie hiker is hard to predict. You can plan to start hiking and hopefully end at your planned ending point but you never know what might come up to prevent that.

Again,nice to have you here! :)

I do have a couple zero days built in - we want to stay somewhere in Damascus one night and at Kincora Hostel. We are gonna do some weekend hikes over the summer so that I can try things out before heading out for a long hike. I haven't ever even slept in a tent before so I'm truly a beginner!

mtmanva2
02-24-2014, 18:06
:) First time to post. Hope to do a few section miles this summer. Get out in southwest va. and eastern tnn. do sometrail magic give out sodas and make some hotdogs

HikerMom58
02-24-2014, 20:16
I do have a couple zero days built in - we want to stay somewhere in Damascus one night and at Kincora Hostel. We are gonna do some weekend hikes over the summer so that I can try things out before heading out for a long hike. I haven't ever even slept in a tent before so I'm truly a beginner!

You should be fine with the days you have planned then. :) You will love staying at the Kincora. I've heard good things about that place. Crazy Larry's Hostel in Damascus might be a good place for you to stay. Don't be put off by the name. He's the nicest guy ever! :>)

It's so exciting to meet someone that is so new to the backpacking world. You'll love it! My first night in a tent was while car camping. Then, I went from there....

I remember my first night out near Tinker Cliffs in VA. Coyotes howled at midnight, then sounding much closer at 3:00 AM.:eek: I had my trekking poles, at the ready. Our cook pots were close by for making noise to scare them away. They never came close.

We had our Cairn Terriers with us in our tents. They were standing on our chests listening to the coyotes howl. It's funny to think back on that now.

I loved spending the night in the woods, in anticipation of doing more hiking again the next day. :D

You are going to love it Valerie! The next time I went out, it was a 112 mile section hike! :0) I'm hooked!

HikerMom58
02-24-2014, 20:18
:) First time to post. Hope to do a few section miles this summer. Get out in southwest va. and eastern tnn. do sometrail magic give out sodas and make some hotdogs

Hey mtmanva2... Welcome in! :) Trail magic is always welcome too. Nice to have you here!

Valerie
02-25-2014, 23:30
You should be fine with the days you have planned then. :) You will love staying at the Kincora. I've heard good things about that place. Crazy Larry's Hostel in Damascus might be a good place for you to stay. Don't be put off by the name. He's the nicest guy ever! :>)

It's so exciting to meet someone that is so new to the backpacking world. You'll love it! My first night in a tent was while car camping. Then, I went from there....

I remember my first night out near Tinker Cliffs in VA. Coyotes howled at midnight, then sounding much closer at 3:00 AM.:eek: I had my trekking poles, at the ready. Our cook pots were close by for making noise to scare them away. They never came close.

We had our Cairn Terriers with us in our tents. They were standing on our chests listening to the coyotes howl. It's funny to think back on that now.

I loved spending the night in the woods, in anticipation of doing more hiking again the next day. :D

You are going to love it Valerie! The next time I went out, it was a 112 mile section hike! :0) I'm hooked!

Thanks for the encouragement! I was looking at Crazy Larry's and thought that might be a good place to stay.

HikerMom58
02-26-2014, 22:58
Thanks for the encouragement! I was looking at Crazy Larry's and thought that might be a good place to stay.

You won't be disappointed with Larry! :)

Teacher & Snacktime
02-26-2014, 23:22
Crazy Larry's is the BEST place to stay! The best shower in all of Damascus....and more food than you can handle....and the sweetest, kindest host you could imagine.

Wilson2016
03-08-2014, 03:58
hello everyone, I am planning to walk in 2016. I love reading everything. I hope to be there. I hope you all get where you"re going.

Wilson2016
03-08-2014, 04:03
I pray you all get to go where you're going. I 've been here long enough to know

HikerMom58
03-09-2014, 00:34
hello everyone, I am planning to walk in 2016. I love reading everything. I hope to be there. I hope you all get where you"re going.

WELCOME rockever!

YesRushGen
03-13-2014, 15:31
Hi everybody!

I've been lurking here off and on for a few years. I finally signed up for an account last month after I got serious about planning a thru-hike.

My plan is for 2015, northbound, starting March 12th. (Starting info posted over in the Class of 2015 Registry thread)

Also, I just went live with my blog last night:

http://wanderingjourneys.net/at2015/

Kelly

Harfang
03-19-2014, 20:00
Thanks for the warm welcome...much appreciated.

Socalhiker87
03-19-2014, 20:18
I wish I had connected with this hike when I did a section of the AT last year. Looks like I will find some great information. Thanks for the forum.

HikerMom58
03-19-2014, 20:28
Hey...Welcome in y'all! :>)

steveroads
03-27-2014, 06:43
hello folks, I am totally new here.Never go for hikings because of my scarring.Now i inspired one of my friend.I am totally prepared as new and ready to do some backpacking for hiking!!!

tsgosnell
03-27-2014, 14:53
Like the blog so far!
Hi everybody!

I've been lurking here off and on for a few years. I finally signed up for an account last month after I got serious about planning a thru-hike.

My plan is for 2015, northbound, starting March 12th. (Starting info posted over in the Class of 2015 Registry thread)

Also, I just went live with my blog last night:

http://wanderingjourneys.net/at2015/

Kelly