PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to WhiteBlaze.net

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

steveroads
04-01-2014, 02:20
Thanks for your suggestion tsgosnell.I will follow your blog.Also i found a nice blog www.hikings.net which is informative and helpful.

MeatTrapper
04-04-2014, 13:01
I'm new here and just wanted to say that there is a tremendous amount of information here. I am really learning a lot and hope to be able to contribute back.

HikerMom58
04-04-2014, 20:14
Welcome MeatTrapper! :)

big deal
04-05-2014, 06:12
New member here, I've lurked for about 3 months. My daughter and myself will be section hiking Roan Mt. to Damascus the second week end of April. I hope to see some of you thru hikers on the trail.

theatiger
04-05-2014, 06:15
Hello all,been scanning a few weeks now,getting tons of info for my thru hike next year.thanks to everyone here!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Jukeshoe
04-08-2014, 18:33
Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of the site on the recommendation of a past thru-hiker of the AT. I just got into backpacking, and while I don't have any definitive plans to hike the AT anytime soon, I've very much enjoyed the vast array of knowledge that is shared on this forum.

I'll probably post very infrequently...my eyes and ears, however, are open. :)

HikerMom58
04-08-2014, 20:25
Nice to have you here Jukeshoe! :)

leatherwheels
04-14-2014, 15:52
Hi All, been lurking for a while reading and learning a lot from all of you. Some background, did a fair amount of backpacking a long time ago in the Scouts and for a couple years after then kind of strayed away. Getting back into it. Did a short 5 day ( 35 miles in 2 half days, three full days) in western MA on the AT last summer from Sheffield to Washington MA and realized I was carrying WAY too much weight. A lot of my gear is still older gear (20 + years) so I am slowly reducing my weight - don't have much of a budget to work with so it's hard to justify some expenses if it still works, but I've replaced a couple items such as pack and stove. Also, trying to outfit my 12 yr old son at the same time, so his needs come before mine. Anyway, don't know that I will ever do a thru or even long section hike but love the time I do get out and for now plan on keeping it somewhat local to CT, MA, VT and NH. Would like to do North Carolina and Virginia, and possibly Maine at some point. Thanks again for letting me lurk and learn and hope to meet some of you someday. Good luck to all those currently on the trail or with plans to hike it, I am envious.

pablo081002
04-15-2014, 22:59
Mornin' y'all...going for a walk in June...good info here, thought I'd join up. Looks great!

-Pablo

CreekSide
04-16-2014, 03:15
Stopping by to say hello. I've hiked a little of the AT, but if the old body holds out my real chance will be after I can finally retire. Thanks for the site and all the great info.

CreekSide

HikerMom58
04-16-2014, 08:44
Welcome one and all! :sun

highlife
04-30-2014, 01:54
Hey everyone. I've casually lurked for years, but decided to pony up and register (and post). Never hiked the AT, but hope to someday. Thanks for all the great information, encouragement, and community. Seems like good people reside here.

Thanks

Shakespeare 1990
05-06-2014, 12:15
Like so many AT hikers who in old times would enjoy disappearing into the woods for days or weeks at a time, I am now just another slave to the mobile phone. I use Tapatalk for a couple of forums that I frequent. This past week I was looking for an AT community forum, but could not find one via Tapatalk's less-than-adequate search function. I turned to Google and discovered whiteblaze.net, and found that it was available through Tapatalk. So, as I would always begin every shelter journal post back in the '90s:

Shakespeare here!

Isn't it a glorious day for a hike!?

Shakes

hermantherugger
05-12-2014, 20:54
Just signed up...been trolling for quite a while looking at gear and reviews, time to take the plunge!

hermantherugger
05-12-2014, 20:58
Need to get my post count up to start a new thread...

Eleganz
05-12-2014, 22:44
Hi everyone!

I suppose I'm fairly new to hiking, I've been hiking with my boyfriend for about a year now, and we love to hike in western NJ or upstate NY. Lately our trips have taken us to sections of the AT, and we've been building up to longer day hikes all this season. Just this weekend we did a 10-mile loop up in Blairstown, NJ, which took us by a camp store not too far off the trail. We're hoping to do a 15-mile day hike in a couple of weeks ... the question is, can I one day do 15 miles, and then instead of getting in my car and going home to a nice stir-fry, getting my arse up the next morning and doing it all over again? :P

I've been getting really excited about one day thru-hiking the AT, and I really wanted to be in a community with other people who love and know about hiking. So, howdy.

gypsyheart
05-18-2014, 19:16
Hi, y'all! I have NEVER hiked but recently read a book about hiking the AT and now I am simply OBSESSED! I am 57 years young who is now prepping for my first hike. I am reading all I can get, found a local club to join for day hikes and short 3 day ones. I am working on the treadmill to lose some pounds and get off all my medications in prep for a through hike. I have Fibromyalgia and I am Type 2 Diabetic so I am going to work closely with my doc to make this happen. I used to be on insulin but was able to lose 30 pounds two years ago and have been off insulin since! Now to lose another 30 and perhaps get off my pills. Do you all know of any other diabetics that have done a through hike? I've learned to deal with the pain of Fibro since I've had it for 15 years. I can either choose to hurt and sit and feel sorry for myself, or I can choose to hurt and get out and live! Either way, I hurt, so basically I've learned to pace myself and live life although I do have to crash and rest every few days but from what I've read, that is very doable even when hiking a through hike.

Anyway, I look forward to reading this forum and learning all I can from you all!

Deer Hunter
05-18-2014, 19:50
Hi, y'all! I have NEVER hiked but recently read a book about hiking the AT and now I am simply OBSESSED! I am 57 years young who is now prepping for my first hike. I am reading all I can get, found a local club to join for day hikes and short 3 day ones. I am working on the treadmill to lose some pounds and get off all my medications in prep for a through hike. I have Fibromyalgia and I am Type 2 Diabetic so I am going to work closely with my doc to make this happen. I used to be on insulin but was able to lose 30 pounds two years ago and have been off insulin since! Now to lose another 30 and perhaps get off my pills. Do you all know of any other diabetics that have done a through hike? I've learned to deal with the pain of Fibro since I've had it for 15 years. I can either choose to hurt and sit and feel sorry for myself, or I can choose to hurt and get out and live! Either way, I hurt, so basically I've learned to pace myself and live life although I do have to crash and rest every few days but from what I've read, that is very doable even when hiking a through hike.

Anyway, I look forward to reading this forum and learning all I can from you all!

Thats great! Hope you can lose the other 30 and get off all your pills. :)

magneto
05-18-2014, 19:59
Well - sounds like you are on the right track - just don't try to run a marathon your first time out.

Lots of people hike with all sorts of problems. Hiking and climbing is painful at time no matter what you do.

Just go out and enjoy learning about your new passion. You will find all sorts of people who share it with you.

Let me just say this. I was once like you with aviation. A friend of mine took me for a short flight in his single-engine plane and I was hooked and completely obsessed with aviation.

I worked my way up and about 6 years later I had earned all my ratings and held an Airline Transport Pilot license with a multi engine endorsement. I owned a total of 5 airplanes - starting with a Piper Saratoga II HP and ending with a King Air B200 Turbo Prop.

I enjoyed every minute of my training and flying. I accumulated over 2000 hours of flight time, with several trans Atlantic crossings.

I distinctly remember those first hours of training when I wanted to know it all - and now! You can go from newbie to expert at any pace you like - just take the time to enjoy it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gypsyheart
05-19-2014, 13:14
Thanks for the encouraging words!

zatoichi
05-27-2014, 20:08
I am not sure I can do this trek, but I think I can someday. Perhaps when I retire, this can happen.

lswindell4
05-29-2014, 23:08
Hi all! I am new to the forum and new to kiking the A.T. but not new to humping a ruck. I am a 100% disabled veteran (57 years old) living in Eastern North Carolina. I am disabled from combat tours with the 82nd ABN DIV. I spent most of my time at Ft.Bragg with 3rd Bde but also spent time at Ft. Jackson as a drill sergeant and at Ft Sherman in Panama with the J.W.T.C. back in the 80's. Spent some time at Ft benning as well. I have had several surgeries and now feel capable, with the proper training, to do some hiking along the trail with the goal of a thru hike. (bucket list item!) I have been collecting gear, have started humping again, and have begun to spend time on some local trails. Great for my peace of mind!! I look forward to learning from the members here! Thanks! Lew

Teacher & Snacktime
05-30-2014, 00:07
Have fun here...and even more on the trail!

Kona
06-29-2014, 08:40
Kona- AT '95.

I remember a stock broker on the trail back then screaming into his cell phone, "sell, sell!!"

I guess everyone is wired now a days. Different times. I'm back into hiking now that I have adopted a son. Instead of putting him in front of a TV we go into the woods. We are going out for a week long hike over Greylock in the end of August- can't wait!!

Ender
06-29-2014, 14:44
Welcome to WB.

I love the Greylock section of the trail. The pond and cabin 3/4 of the way up the south side of the mountain is really neat. And from that point north you really begin to feel like you're in the northern woods.

Kona- AT '95.

I remember a stock broker on the trail back then screaming into his cell phone, "sell, sell!!"

I guess everyone is wired now a days. Different times. I'm back into hiking now that I have adopted a son. Instead of putting him in front of a TV we go into the woods. We are going out for a week long hike over Greylock in the end of August- can't wait!!

Kona
06-29-2014, 20:59
Apologize I hike in '94- the year of OJ Simpson white Bronco Fiasco!

Deer Hunter
06-30-2014, 01:49
Great to see all the new people here posting. :)

Roanmtnman
07-31-2014, 21:31
Great community, newbie here, lived in the mtns all my life and loved walking in the woods but just recently started hiking trails. Loving it so far!!! Im in the Roan Mountain Tn area. Hope to see you all on the trail!

Deer Hunter
08-01-2014, 14:37
Great community, newbie here, lived in the mtns all my life and loved walking in the woods but just recently started hiking trails. Loving it so far!!! Im in the Roan Mountain Tn area. Hope to see you all on the trail!

I doubt that feeling will go away. It will only grow. :)

William Chambers
08-16-2014, 15:59
roller coaster here, from southwest VA. Section hikes from springer to Daleville thus far. I was scoutmaster for 9 years and took my boys backpacking over 100 miles in our area on the AT. also hiked over 200 miles of the AT with them. I have helped maintain the AT with Mount Rodgers AT club, and do trail magic in the Bland, Tazewell areas. I hope to see you on the trail !

Tryonis
09-26-2014, 11:08
Long time lurker, Hiked and camped a few sections here in GA over the years. Actually taking the kids to Amicalola this weekend. This site is incredible with all of the knowledge and advice you could ever want. Hike on.

WALKINGWILBUR
09-28-2014, 19:17
Long time lurker, Hiked and camped a few sections here in GA over the years. Actually taking the kids to Amicalola this weekend. This site is incredible with all of the knowledge and advice you could ever want. Hike on.

The Wilderness and some other sections of the N.E. AT are rated by some hikers as tough, hand over hand type climbing. I wonder if anyone has ever hiked these sections with a prosthetic arm? Just liked to know what I'm getting into. I plan to thru hike the entire trail soon and nothing much has caught my attention until I read recently about a couple of thru hiker experiences in the NE I have an A/E prosthetic left arm & am a very active hiker but as Clint Eastwood would say "A mans got to know his limitations.":cool:

Gram Weenie
10-13-2014, 23:42
Im new to WhiteBlaze.net,and im so glad I found the forum.I love it

wvbackpacker
10-27-2014, 13:42
Hello from Baltimore, MD... I've been hiking on the AT for over 30 years, and hope to see a white blaze every year until I croak!

schwabat
10-28-2014, 20:21
Really grateful for all the helpful info this site has; found it yesterday.
Going to college in Boston, Mass, originally from CT.

In the midst of planning a 600 mile hike for next summer, and taking advantage of your past experiences/suggestions. Keep on trekin'

Mike2012
11-02-2014, 18:42
The Wilderness and some other sections of the N.E. AT are rated by some hikers as tough, hand over hand type climbing. I wonder if anyone has ever hiked these sections with a prosthetic arm? Just liked to know what I'm getting into. I plan to thru hike the entire trail soon and nothing much has caught my attention until I read recently about a couple of thru hiker experiences in the NE I have an A/E prosthetic left arm & am a very active hiker but as Clint Eastwood would say "A mans got to know his limitations.":cool:

I am sure you will rise above any obstacles. Just ask for help if you need it.

strido
11-07-2014, 16:07
Well, I guess it's a better midlife crisis than buying a useless car!

I'm a noob to long distance hiking, and by "long distance" I mean further than from my car to the office door. Apparently I've had this idea before as I joined this forum in 2009 (?).

The plan is to use the time between now and September to get in shape to only do the Massachuestts portion of the AT. That's really all I can take time off to do, and quite frankly about 90 miles longer than I've ever hiked before. With a bad back and a beer gut to die for (or from!), I've certainly got my work cut out.

Got the AT offcial trail guide yesterday, and now to spend the weekend reading it and trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into.

Wish me luck!

quackquackcolorado
11-13-2014, 00:24
Hey, everybody!

I'm fairly new to long-distance hiking and transitioning over from peak bagging to chase that Triple Crown dream. I had thought the AT would be my first big one, but things have changed. Instead, I'm leaving for the TeA/TA in a few weeks to get some of that international flavor. I have tentative dates in mind for the PCT and AT, but I like to think about one adventure at a time.

This forum seems to be the best one in terms of resources, and I hope to be a helpful contributor to this community.

TwistingInTheWind
11-16-2014, 23:12
Thank you for all the info and help I've received as a lurker.. I like the way everyone wants people to succeed in whatever it is they are doing. From advice on scouting locations from those who've been there already to DIY projects there are people who want you to achieve your goals.

I've found lots of help/instruction for my DIY projects already and hope to add to the round table.

I have been a skilled tradesman (welder) in a steel mill for almost 20 years now, and as I get older and more broken down I am having to re-examine how I hike with things like lightening my gear and what I am looking for out of the experience.

Thank you for welcoming me into your circle.
:welcome

Kevin108
11-17-2014, 13:21
I've been a longtime day hiker. I've gotten more into camping over the last 5 years of having my Jeep. It's great to drive out to the middle of nowhere, push a vehicle and driver to their limits, then throw out a tent and enjoy the evening. In support of that effort, I've been collecting gear. I found myself watching some Outdoor Gear Review videos and now I'm planning my first overnight hike. I've been here reading up on gear, good, and planning methods. Lots to learn here!

I'm a carpenter by trade, so I've spent most days outside for the last 15 years or so. I've always had 4x4s and had an ATV for the last 10 years. Needless to say, I'm an outside person. I also collect and repair Coleman lanterns and stoves.

It'll definitely be interesting to slow down and take in the sights on foot rather than through a windshield or over the handlebars.

spidey
11-19-2014, 11:36
New to the forums from AZ ...thanks all

Chopper Hoek
11-24-2014, 19:52
Glad to be here. Finding TONS of great info and funny stories. Shooting for 2016 NOBO. Looking forward to meeting some good folks on WB!

Peace

Torrish
11-25-2014, 06:28
I heard about the AT years ago and would like to walk it one day. Mountain country and wilderness have always drawn me. I am looking to learn what would be involved in making my dream come true.

Giles

76k5grrl
12-01-2014, 22:17
Thanks for welcoming me into the community. Have hiked short portions of the AT in CT, ME, and NH- years ago with girl scouts and family. Just got back from a drive from TX to CT, saw a lot of the trail in the distance and was inspired. At this point, I'm looking about 4-6 years out before a thru hike- I have 2 dogs that I can't bring and 6 months is a long time to board them. In the meantime, I'm going to be soaking up info, gathering gear, and trying to get as many short sections in as I can. Looking forward to the journey.

damnhawk
12-04-2014, 21:59
should've likely done this already... but here we go.

Names Eric and have acquired the trail name of "Gone" on my AT section hike for disappearing rather quickly down the trail and leaving my group quite some distance behind.

I Live in Florida, roughly 30-45 mins from the florida trail. Im a 30 year old Eagle Scout that just really realized how awesome backpacking really is. I've hiked the Ocean to Lake spur trail on the Florida trail, most of the big cypress swamp, and the AT approach trail up to Neel's gap.

I'm in the Lightweight camp for gear, fully loaded out for 4 days (food and 3.5L water) im at 38 pounds, dry im in the 18-20 pound range (i think... not really a gram weenie) and looking to get lighter. (who really needs a pack cover anyhow?)

I'm looking to section hike various parts of the AT each year and have a great time doing so. I look forward to using the knowledge base here to support getting out and enjoying this country.

kushtakaa
12-09-2014, 14:05
Hi all!

Sectioned from Springer to to around Troutdale, VA in '92 or so (can't remember exactly :p) under the name Friar Tuck. Worked in a small mom & pop outfitter store in H'burg, VA (straight down Hwy 33 to the west of the SNP) for about 10 years before moving back home to the Midwest (where I've been working as Director of a small public library). Not much hiking in Iowa (just did a 10 mile circuit around a local lake yesterday).

Wife & I are quitting our jobs in the spring and heading back east to jump on the trail. Hoping to do a "head-start" thru...beginning in the SNP/VA about mid-April (still have some family & friends in the H'burg area, so should be able to do a large portion of the SNP as day-hike/slack-pack to ease into some semblance of trail form). Barring injury, will head north to Katahdin then hitch or bus back to VA to head south for a late-October/November finish. Neither of us will have a reason to rush...just going to take it as it goes. :-)

Hope to see some of you out there!

Dochartaigh
12-09-2014, 14:24
Here's the welcome thread! I couldn't find it so this is my 7th post or something like that...

Long time outdoor person. Started in the Indian Guides, then Webelos, then Boy Scouts, and been doing stuff outdoors every since. I mostly like to do multi-day kayak trips, and just got into white water kayaking on the Lehigh Gorge, and now have a new group of friends who like to hike...so that brings me here. I did the NJ portion of the Appalachian Trail probably 20 years ago, but not many multi-day hikes since then (unless you count portaging a 65 pound kayak during those trips ;)

I'm planning on getting into some better shape this winter (I can paddle all day long and then some, but walk up/down steep mountains not so much), and fine-tuning my UL pack (currently at 9.57 pounds – granted my GG Gorilla in the mail right now will fit me comfortably). Then I'll be ready to hit the trail again!

July
12-15-2014, 06:19
Forget the gear, and Just Walk.....an Breathe.

SYates
12-18-2014, 06:12
Hi Everybody!

I came across this forum whilst researching the AT and I am glad I found it! I am tentatively planning for 2016, so I have enough time to bother you all with questions. I have done some long distance hikes here in Europe, but never elsewhere. SY

garyfromboston
01-03-2015, 16:38
I'm so glad to have found your site and the great information it has to offer. I'll be making a donation.

JenS187
01-09-2015, 18:28
Hi Everyone, just stumbled upon this site. Would love to hike the AT someday. Im a police officer in Massachusetts so will most likely do this after retirement. Looking forward to reading everyones stories and learning a lot from this site.

Nhan
01-12-2015, 20:38
Hello all, I've been thinking about hiking the AT for a few years now, and plan to start the NoBo in late Feb/early March. Any tips or bits of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

oldgofaster
01-19-2015, 08:55
Hello. I am an old guy from Ohio. Not a hiker..yet.
Love to kayak and do overnighters in the woods.
Good gear interests me, and thats how I found you all.
Great site and lots of info.
Thanks for this wonderful resource.

jcvd01
01-24-2015, 22:52
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a little while here soaking everything up on this board. I haven't been on the AT officially yet but plan to take about a week in March to go from Penmar at the PA/MD line SOBO, but have not worked out the end point yet. I'm really looking forward to getting out there as this has been something I've been thinking about for a long time. Thanks all for the information being shared here.

YeastLord
01-25-2015, 07:51
Whats up been section hiking the AT for a long time. Just saying whats up new to white blaze.

puppypaws0123
01-29-2015, 21:01
Hi, I'm new to the thread and looking forward to learning some helpful

I hope to really enjoy being a part of this forum

sympathetic joy
01-29-2015, 21:02
Hi, I'm new to the thread and looking forward to learning some helpful

I hope to really enjoy being a part of this forum

Welcome. Noticed your from Mayfield Hts. Hope you're enjoying the snow. I recently left the Cleveland area. One too many Lake Erie snow machine winters under my belt.

Grinch
02-06-2015, 22:06
Hello! New here to the forum. I will be doing a 2 month AT trip, leaving from springer around March 7. Very excited as this will be the first long hike that I have been able to do. I am going to use a hammock as I don't sleep well on ground. Just got my EE Revolt elite, a Terra Nova laser 600 and a Eno housefly! Super stoked!
I am a lamp worker of 15 years. Look forward to hearing from fellow trail nuts!

bendback
02-15-2015, 06:39
Thanks, glad to be here

Mikel Olivares
02-16-2015, 05:39
Hello everyone
I'm Spaniard and I'm recently retired. Now I hope to make the dream of my life. The Appalachians Trail.
I'll go walk it in mid-March next year.
I hope this forum guide me about all the things I need to know to make enjoying it
Many Thanks.

Mikel Olivares
02-16-2015, 05:42
Hello everyone
I'm Spaniard and I'm recently retired. Now I hope to make the dream of my life. The Appalachians Trail.
I hope this forum guide me about all the things I need to know to make enjoying it
Many Thanks.

rickb
02-16-2015, 11:10
Hello everyone
Many Thanks.

It will be great. In addition to getting your own questions answered here on Whiteblaze, I hope you will share your own perspectives and expertise.

You you may know this already, but a Spaniard was responsible for naming these Mountains-- at least that is what Wikipedia says:

After the de Soto expedition (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernando_de_Soto_(explorer)) in 1540, Spanish cartographers began to apply the name of the tribe to the mountains themselves. The first cartographic appearance of Apalchen is on Diego Gutierrez (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Guti%C3%A9rrez_(cartographer))'s map of 1562; the first use for the mountain range is the map of Jacques le Moyne de Morgues (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_le_Moyne_de_Morgues) in 1565.[1 (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains#cite_note-12)

Mikel Olivares
02-17-2015, 07:04
Hola Rick.
Gracias por la bienvenida. Sé muy bien la historia de los españoles en América, incluyendo el área que hoy es EE.UU.. Me encanta la historia.
Me encanta caminar por las montañas de los Pirineos, también se han hecho tres veces el Camino de Santiago, la última vez en la Navidad.
Creo que estoy bien preparado física y mentalmente para hacerlo sin problemas si Dios quiere.
Buen Camino.

Mikel Olivares
02-17-2015, 07:08
Hi Rick.
Thanks for the welcome. I know very well the history of the Spaniards in America, including the area that today is USA. I love history.
I love walking through the Pyrenees Mountains, also have made three times the Camino de Santiago, the last time in Christmas.
I think, I'm well prepared physically and mentally to do it smoothly God willing.
Buen Camino.

MisterQ
02-17-2015, 07:18
Good morning all. I'll be making my first section hike in May, north from Pen Mar to Duncannon. I am soaking up lots of good information from the site, it is much appreciated. My wife thinks I am insane and she may be correct.

naturlred
02-24-2015, 20:23
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading for days on this sight and finally decided to join.

A big hike has been a dream of mine for a few years now and the older I get the more pressure I feel to start. I just don't know which big trail to begin. Although, I know for a fact section hiking is how I will have accomplish this goal because of job requirements, but I am ok with that.

I think this AP may be the trail to do, but where to start, what part is the most scenic, what area is best for beginners, etc.
I will continue reading but if you have any information you care to share directly, please share. I am listening:)

Hiking4Hearts
03-03-2015, 08:37
Good Morning all...

My name is Bonny, I am new here and relatively new to hiking. I hike around my state (Connecticut) quite a bit, but backpacking and trekking is fairly new to me. I've always "lurked" here but last night I decided to join because a friend had mentioned I should. I am the founder of hiking4hearts, what is that? Well, I have a rare form of heart disease called Left Ventricular Noncompaction Cardiomyopathy. Its a new disease and very rare so I have decided to hike 500 miles of the AT to raise money and awareness, as well as show others newly diagnosed that we are not a diagnosis and we can still do whatever we want. You know, I may only make it a few miles, who knows. But I do know that I will give it my all :) I have a few corporate sponsors so far, KEEN, Darn Tough, Petzl are all donating some items... I still need the big things (ie tent, pack, etc). Ill be perusing the gear for sale boards a lot! Thanks for everyone making me feel so welcome :)

Oh and anyone can visit the cause or follow my blog of epic crankiness on the trail lol at hiking4hearts.org

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-03-2015, 08:46
After the de Soto expedition (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernando_de_Soto_(explorer)) in 1540, Spanish cartographers began to apply the name of the tribe to the mountains themselves. The first cartographic appearance of Apalchen is on Diego Gutierrez (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Guti%C3%A9rrez_(cartographer))'s map of 1562; the first use for the mountain range is the map of Jacques le Moyne de Morgues (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_le_Moyne_de_Morgues) in 1565.[1 (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains#cite_note-12)

I did not know this. Nice factoid rickb. Thank you for sharing!

Gadget Girl
03-17-2015, 16:24
Hello Everyone -
I am seeking advice on stoves for my upcoming thru hike on the AT starting April 10th.
Most of my food is dehydrated, but would like to occasionally fry or pan bake.
Having a hard time deciding also which is the best stove to take - alcohol or cannister?
Appreciate everyone's insights.

NomadicTaylors
03-18-2015, 15:55
Hello everyone! We are a nomadic couple who is hiking the AT starting next month!
Nice to meet everyone here :)

Joeppy
03-27-2015, 20:42
Thanks for the forum!

gollwoods
03-28-2015, 12:56
alrighty then

Beanz
03-29-2015, 23:20
Greetings! My first hike ever was many many years ago when my Mom lived in Anchorage, AK. The Resurrection Pass Trail in the Chugach National Forest....loved it!
Fast forward 30 plus years to where my brother finally talked me into joining him on a hike in Harriman State Park, NY. Since then we have been on several hikes with our children there as well as Hunter Mountain. We've been off the trails for a bit with the kids involved with various school sports and I've been side lined lately with a Rotator Cuff injury. Looking ahead to get back into hiking shape and researching the NJ/NY portions of the AT for a big future hike. See ya on the trails, Beanz.

TREX1
04-08-2015, 11:16
very little and only a little of the AT.

Looking forward to getting opinions on gear etc.

Just got my first hammock and tarp after having a tent for years.

eeggensp
04-16-2015, 09:05
New to this site. My sister and I are going to be hiking the Maryland section in the near future (May). First time on the AT and would love to hear from anyone who might have some words of wisdom for us. We are backpackers, but have never taken on this type of challenge. Love the site, by the way, and have gained so much knowledge in just the few days that I've been a registered user. Thanks for any feedback!

jjonesn502
04-20-2015, 21:49
Hello whiteblaze, just hiked amicalola falls to horse gap in ga. Loving it. Weather was hell. Can't wait to go back. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/20/0a413c50536023b80c69972518d2b236.jpg

attroll
04-23-2015, 18:01
Hello whiteblaze, just hiked amicalola falls to horse gap in ga. Loving it. Weather was hell. Can't wait to go back. .
Sweet. How was hiking all those stairs?

jjonesn502
04-23-2015, 20:10
EFF' those stairs.

Lifetime
05-01-2015, 13:41
It is a great forum with all kinds of useful information about the trail. By the way, I just spoke with the new owner of The Barn Hostel in Gorham, New Hampshire and they are open and planning on continuing the operations as usual. There are no plans to close or change anything about the Barn. That's good news!

Katywoo
05-26-2015, 05:00
Newbie here - I'm considering this my first tentative step in my plans to hike the AT.

If those plans come together, the earliest I can start would be 2017. I do have the added complexity of travelling from the UK so my knowledge of US suppliers and vendors is limited.

Anyway, whether or not it happens I'll research every aspect, and if there are any others who travelled from outside the US I'd appreciate their points of view.

Vegan Packer
05-26-2015, 23:55
Although I made some overnighters many years ago, I stopped hiking for many years. Over the past few years, I got the chance to make some day hikes in the western part of North Carolina, and to make some hikes and do some paddling in New Hampshire. I enjoyed myself so much, and realized how much I have missed it, that I just got all new gear, and I am planning two trips for this summer. I'll be heading back to North Carolina for five days, and then I'll head out to Washington to hike North Cascades, Olympic and Mount Rainier, for about three weeks.

I am completely vegan, and I have an interest in enjoying healthy meals that taste great while on the trail. To that end, I bought a dehydrator, and I am going to cook and dehydrate most of my meals and snacks for the trail, supplemented by some store bought items that fit the bill. Also, since I avoid products made from or tested on animals, I have put together a first aid kit that is vegan and cruelty free.

Looking forward to learning a lot here, and to enjoying the next chapter of my life by spending a good part of it on the trail!

gonegonzo
05-27-2015, 15:24
Thank you for accepting my registration . I once was an avid backpacker ( 20 years ago ) but due to everyday hoop - law , I've been inactive . Now that I'm retired I am hiking once more but with a handicap . I have neuropathy making my feet and lower legs numb . I work thru the pain to be able to enjoy old passions . I would like to plan a 2016 hike on the AT . Of course I'm not sure if I can squeeze a Thru Trip out of it as of my having to take my time and be more careful of the path in front of me . If I bomb out , I'll finish in 2017 . There has been many changes in backpacking since my last involvement . I'm looking to this web page as my tutor as I'm sure I'll learn a lot here . Regards >>> Gonzo

moytoy
05-27-2015, 17:48
Thank you for accepting my registration . I once was an avid backpacker ( 20 years ago ) but due to everyday hoop - law , I've been inactive . Now that I'm retired I am hiking once more but with a handicap . I have neuropathy making my feet and lower legs numb . I work thru the pain to be able to enjoy old passions . I would like to plan a 2016 hike on the AT . Of course I'm not sure if I can squeeze a Thru Trip out of it as of my having to take my time and be more careful of the path in front of me . If I bomb out , I'll finish in 2017 . There has been many changes in backpacking since my last involvement . I'm looking to this web page as my tutor as I'm sure I'll learn a lot here . Regards >>> Gonzo

With that name you must check out Gonzo's Journal (circa 1983). http://www.2000milehike.com/
Hope to see you on the trail someday.

AT Lupie
06-13-2015, 20:32
Hi I am back on the forum after a very long time away! The Lupus prevented me from a thru hike and even caused encephalopathy in Oct 2014! However, I am trying to section hike again and I feel fully alive! I am hiking the smokies for 4 days and hope and pray it will go well! God bless all of you who are thru hiking! Lupie

attroll
06-13-2015, 21:59
Hi I am back on the forum after a very long time away! The Lupus prevented me from a thru hike and even caused encephalopathy in Oct 2014! However, I am trying to section hike again and I feel fully alive! I am hiking the smokies for 4 days and hope and pray it will go well! God bless all of you who are thru hiking! Lupie
Welcome back. Glad to see you didn't give up.

paule
06-23-2015, 18:27
Thank You for the forum,,,,and the welcome

JimBlue
07-21-2015, 11:08
I haven't hiked much... but I have done some short walks, 5-15 miles, with a pack. California, Texas, Mississippi and Maryland. All in the Boy Scouts. So I had to carry extra gear I would otherwise have never taken.

From about 35 to 80 pounds in those packs. Not conducive to doing much but striving to get to the camp site.

Back in the 1970s I had a nice brown cordura nylon pack, 5000 cubic inches about, that was good. I liked it. I had purchased it from REI. Gave it away, and now cannot find another one like it.

So I bought an Alps Mountaineering 3900 cu. n. external frame pack. I was able to adjust it to fit me fairly well. Hiking with it will likely let me know what I misadjusted...

I recently drove over to Cheaha State Park... and realized what I had forgottn and what I had missed all these years. Its been about 1975 since I went camping... I hope to soon change that.

So howdee from an old Texan ! We sometimes smell funny, but its not stand up comedy.

myATguide
08-04-2015, 09:26
Planning August 10th SOBO. Look forward to interacting with White Blaze Forum. "Granddaddy"

Kontiki
08-29-2015, 23:35
Hello everyone! I plan on starting the first week of April 2016!

Jordy91
09-09-2015, 20:35
I have just recently made to the plan to hike the AT. I'm not planning on going for about two years. I have never attempted a hike like this before and was hoping to get some advice on how to start conditioning my body, equipment, as well as any other advice I can get. I've been learning a lot through this site and I can't wait till I finally get to go.

shawnlakenorman
09-17-2015, 14:51
I am going to as well. I am trying to get advice but my time line is shorter. Like in a week or two. I am heading north when I start

shawnlakenorman
09-17-2015, 14:53
I have been reading up and planning for a year, I hope I can do it

donthaveoneyet
09-24-2015, 15:32
It looks like this is the place to introduce oneself?

OK. Due to the insanity currently known as the Internet, I kinda like to say anonymous. However, I am from NC, I live north of New York City, I am in my 50's, and I am a male, married with two children. In my Younger Days, I backpacked a lot. In college I was often in Pisgah, the Nantahala forest, SMNP or some other area on the Southern Appalachians, hiking and camping (that was my weekend/break activity). I did parts of the AT, in Georgia, New Hampshire, NY and NJ (not the full sections, but substantial parts). I also traveled out West a fair amount, and backpacked in Roosevelt NF, and in the Jasper and Banff areas, etc. Then I made the mistake of going to law school. Years in The Grind kept me from much (any) hiking. I got involved in sea kayaking, and did that for some years. About five years ago, I started hiking and backpacking again. It has been a gradual process of getting back into it, learning the new gear (amazing), and trying to get myself physically fit enough for some longer distances.

So, that's me, basically. I have lurked on this forum off an on for years. Decided to finally register, as I have some questions (and occasionally an answer or two).

Thanks.

DHOY

JudithLynn
11-08-2015, 15:59
:)sounds like you are very active and busy enjoying the outdoor life. Keep it up.

JudithLynn
11-08-2015, 16:02
I am going to as well. I am trying to get advice but my time line is shorter. Like in a week or two. I am heading north when I start

:) Keep up the hiking

Viper2016
11-12-2015, 15:23
Having glanced through this thread I presume l this the introduction venue. Like someb before me I'd like to remain relatively anonymous. Due to retire in about 6 weeks. Have done a lot of hiking, backpacking, but nothing really recent. Been around the site, and other forums, checking the latest, greatest in gear and technique. Wow. Bucket list has always included the AT. Planning that hike now, departing May 2016. Learning something new every day. Today's lesson: there's a big difference between a backpacker and a long distance hiker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Bob's Dairyland
12-17-2015, 13:14
Hello all,
I'm just a local hiker on the AT and other area trails, but I own a restaurant in Roan Mountain, TN and we serve a large number of hikers each year. A guy recently told me about this site, and suggested I register, so here I am. Bob's Dairyland has tried to cultivate a great relationship with you folks, and I want to extend a thank you to all of you.

Aside from food, we will gladly provide you with any possible assistance you may need when you are near us. 423-772-3641, 8361 Hwy 19E, Roan Mountain, TN, 37687

Thanks!
Joe

GabeN
12-17-2015, 19:42
Hello everyone. I'm an 18 year old from Missouri, who is currently "figuring things out" career and education wise. I would say that I'm not new to hiking per say, as I have been doing half-day and day hikes since I was a very young child, however I have taken more of an interest in longer outings, and I have found this forum to be a good resource for learning some of the essentials of longer-term hiking that my day hikes have not taught me.

Other than hiking I enjoy reading, pretending that I can write, playing guitar, and traveling(just completed my first solo trip to Europe where I spent three months).

I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing what I can to the forums as I gain more knowledge!

kimbur96
12-18-2015, 20:56
Hello all,
I am a registered nurse down in Florida who wants to hike at least part of the At next year. While the thought of a thru hike would be an epic bucket list item. I just don't see myself at a point in my life where I can abandon everything (job, home) and spend 6 months on the trail. So for now i will have to settle with hoping to get 10-14 days on a souther section the trail next year. I am a runner with many half marathons, a few marathons and a single ultra marathon under my belt. I love nature and a challenge. Looking forward to learning all I can to make next years trip a success.

Chris0617
12-21-2015, 11:52
Hey everyone! New to the site and getting back into hiking after many, many years. I am currently living in Western NY and going back to school to finish my degree. It has always been my dream to thru hike the AT and I am hoping to do that the summer of 2018 when I graduate (as a graduation gift to myself). I am currently not very in shape and have a lot of work to do to get there. I also have a back injury which limits the amount of weight I can carry. I look at all this not as roadblocks, but as challenges to work through and overcome. I would welcome any and all advice and help. Looking forward to getting back into shape and getting out on the trails!

double d
12-21-2015, 15:04
Hello Chris017: I would suggest you do some "shake down" hikes and see how your body reacts to hiking. All good and good luck!

Hey everyone! New to the site and getting back into hiking after many, many years. I am currently living in Western NY and going back to school to finish my degree. It has always been my dream to thru hike the AT and I am hoping to do that the summer of 2018 when I graduate (as a graduation gift to myself). I am currently not very in shape and have a lot of work to do to get there. I also have a back injury which limits the amount of weight I can carry. I look at all this not as roadblocks, but as challenges to work through and overcome. I would welcome any and all advice and help. Looking forward to getting back into shape and getting out on the trails!

Ibsteve
12-29-2015, 17:20
Hi everyone! I'm Steve 43 from virginia, I haven't hiked anything longer than a day hike in almost 20 years! I am in the process of planning 5-7 day hike to reset myself. Looking for any advice for the plan or what i may need to be prepared. My plan as of now is to Start in Harpers Ferry and hike back to Shenandoah County Va area. Plan on doing this in late June early July. Any info would be helpful and thank you in advance.

Post split to new thread here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/115928-Planning-advice-for-returning-hiker).

Rastapoodle
01-01-2016, 14:40
New to White Blaze. I'm 59 and just decided to thru-hike the AT. Plan is 2018 w/2 others in their mid-40's. I used to dream of the hike (30+ years ago) and did lots of backpacking as a way to travel and get into nature cheaply. Life seemed to take me in other directions and as I stared to make money I got farther away from tents and trails. I'm looking for encouragement and tips on food ( I don't eat meat or peanut butter ), equipment, what I need to pack and what I won't need. Most likely, I'll have logistical help from my husband. I've been retired for 5 years so I've got time to plan and get back in the woods. I know I can do this, although I'll be slower than most. I hope my knees, ankles and back hold up. I'm already so excited about 6 months in the woods, snakes, ticks and all.

I grew up in NC. Been living in MD at sea level for close to 30 years.

at.sportster883
01-03-2016, 15:04
Hello together!
I am new to White Blaze, but interested in AT for about 3-4 years, but now it is almost in reachable distance. I am 53, live in Austria (Europe - just to be sure!) and started hiking a few years ago. But mostly day-hikes and a least one 4-5 day hikes with tent per year. Usually in flat terrain, but we have mountains up to 6000 ft near and even these are fun to go.
I am planning a thru-hike, but right now I can't tell when - I stll have 8 years of work before retirement. Maybe I can get some time off before. My wife has at least a little bit of understanding for my plans too - so maybe I can make it sooner...
Most of the time I will be just a lurker, but I will try to add some comments on items, where I think, my opionion may be of interest.
Regards (and please excuse my bad english...)
Alfred

ChrisB
01-04-2016, 23:55
Just joined and cannot figure out how to start a thread. I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing it. Help! Thanks in advance.

Chris B.

bob7
01-05-2016, 09:56
Hello Everybody! Long time lurker and finally signed up. My wife and I will be hiking the AT mid March 2017. We have just started practicing in the Shenandoah stretch of the trail. We are both overwhelmed by all the gear choices. Our goal is to go as light as possible with a big enough tent to "ease" camp tensions that might arise.

Thanks for the site.

Studlintsean
01-05-2016, 15:00
Just joined and cannot figure out how to start a thread. I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing it. Help! Thanks in advance.

Chris B.

Click Forum Up top, select the forum where you want to start a new thread, then click "Post New Thread" (top left).

Isa23
01-06-2016, 16:49
Hey everyone. I joined WhiteBlaze back in May of last year but haven't made myself present yet. I suppose it's time for introductions!

The idea of hiking the AT became an interest some years back but came back again in full force early 2015. Now, I'm firmly set on making a thru-hike a reality. I'm 28 from Georgia and my plans are to attempt my thru-hike in 2018. That start year will allow me to be debt-free, have a cushion of savings for my return from the trail and will allow me to save all the money I'll need for the AT itself. Coincidentally, I'll be 30 when I start so I figure a long-distance hike will be a nice way to celebrate my 30s instead of dreading it :) Getting myself to drop everything for a multi-month hike will also hopefully push me to propel my career when I get back instead of staying in the rut I'm in now.

I'm specifically planning for a February 2018 start date just so I can get ahead of the bubble and also allow myself the longest amount of time possible to hike the trail without having to rush through any part of it. I want to soak up all the trail has to offer at a calm pace and even take in plenty of blue blazes (while still being a purist lol) without having to worry too much about timelines. Not to mention the fact that I am currently very out-of-shape, have no experience backpacking, have only "hiked" some dirt-bike trails for a few hours, and even my camping experience is limited to group overnights with cars full of amenities and food nearby. I guess you could call me a n00b :)

I hope to use the two years leading up to my hike to drop weight, get in shape, take a couple of practice hikes, buy and try out my ultralight gear and glean all the knowledge I can to give me the best chances of finishing in Maine. Hoping to become more active on here as I attempt all of that!

mikenmoh
01-09-2016, 11:38
Parked at FDR State Park in GA dehydrating our food for a March NOBO thru hike. Most all our planing and prep is done now, only our trip back is still tbd. This has been in the works for over a year now and we're both psyched to get going.

DuneElliot
01-09-2016, 14:55
Just joined. I have found that this forum comes up time and time again in searches regarding light-weight backpacking and thru-hiking. I am a hiker, camper, light-weight horse packer/camper and have done a little backpacking. I chose WhiteBlaze to join because even though I'm more focused on the PCT and CT, this has come across as the best and most extensive forum for information.

I had originally thought to do the CT in 2017 and the PCT in 2018, but due to income it looks like 2017 will be my only chance to do such a long-distance hike. This means I better get my butt in gear and get training throughout this summer. Thankfully I have mountains right outside my door and easy access to 13,000ft peaks. I wish I could do the CT this year but with a horse packing trip already scheduled for mid August, it's a little tough to plan a LD hike around it and the preparations that needs.

I have a lot of light-weight gear already as light-weight horse packing requires you to carry all your gear on your personal riding horse. The same kind of mentality and preparation belongs to both types of outdoor activity.

Anyway, I will be planning to hike solo as it just seems easier than looking for someone with whom you get along with and have the same kind of hiking style. From all my reading it doesn't seem like a problem to find people on the trail to hike with. I am only nervous about camping solo at night without my dogs; I'd bring them as they would thrive on the trail (they are border collies and have the energy and disposition to handle the distance), but the desert and water issues would be too much. I do plan on starting earlier than most people, around April 10th, as I want to give myself plenty of time to do lower miles on the first few days and weeks and not feel rushed.

The only things to do between now and April 2017 are to arrange a pet and house sitter and plan resupplies, and then get some major hiking in around my horse trips.

Hope to see you on the trail.

Dog1
01-10-2016, 12:18
What's the weather like in Georgia mid-May. Nights ? Days?

gfwarren
01-17-2016, 11:29
Happy to rejoin white blaze. I have an old pdf file from 2008 that was a handy printed listing of trail mileages etc. I know that this a low tech but I have always found it useful. https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6gobpq873jklm4/AT%2520DATABASE%2520JPEG-6%5B1%5D.pdf?dl=0. Does this still exist on the site with updated information.

Thanks.

kenforbus
01-19-2016, 15:37
Just joined White Blaze and while looking for information in regard to hiking/back packing the AT and surrounding trails in Georgia. I hope to meet new friends and enjoy the forum. I will soon be doing my first section hike (Georgia) in April/May and will be reading a lot you all have to say.

Kilted Wookie
01-20-2016, 12:46
Awesome forum! I just signed up yesterday. I'm doing a NOBO thru-hike with the Warrior Hike group this year,starting in March. I'm very excited to get started and hope to meet some of you out on the trail.

flatgrounder
01-20-2016, 15:36
Great site!! Lots of information and advice. I'm a newbie from Florida. Hike this flat ground every weekend. Planning on a AT section hike late April/early May 2016. Planning a NOBO thru hike in 2017. Just battled two cancers. Better get busy living.

Third Wheel
01-23-2016, 21:32
So here I go again! I had planned to hike the AT back in 2007...time flies and stuff gets in the way. I am no longer property of the government so NOW is the time! I am taking this whole thing one step at a time and am full of excitement and anxiety. I may not get very far, but thru hiking has always been that dream of mine..btw, how do i edit my profile? Im no longer in washington state but Im in my childhood state, Maine. Anyways, I'm looking forward to plowing through the articles and discussions.

KnightErrant
01-24-2016, 09:43
Hello all,
I'm looking at a SOBO hike or possibly a flip flop starting in late June of this year. Hoping to soak up some knowledge from the forum! I've done a lot of hiking and one long backpacking trip, but it was the Camino de Santiago where there are little hostels to stay in each night, so there was no actual camping involved. I know the AT will be a whole different ball game!

~Dynamite~
02-04-2016, 13:45
Hello! I have been planning a NOBO thruhike since 2011 but family obligations are holding me back. I'm like a horse chomping at the bits. I am hopeful that I will be able to start in March 2017. I'm looking forward to meeting the members on this forum and gleaning as much information as possible. Thanks for having me!...~Dynamite~

High Mileage
02-15-2016, 00:47
Thanks for the add

Brenneman
02-15-2016, 11:49
Thanks for the add!! Just starting out and really interested in some of the long treks out there.

Saigirl
02-16-2016, 11:27
thank you! So excited to be here!:sun

Saigirl
02-16-2016, 11:55
thank you! So excited to be here!:sun This site is so helpful! Planning on a thru hike on the PCT, leaving on May 15th. I am new to long distance hiking, a bit nervous about the later start date. Would love to find a hiking partner or group to join with.

captain matty
02-22-2016, 20:20
Hi Kilted Wookie! I am new to the trail. I just moved to NC and want to do a couple of section hikes this winter. Just 40-50 miles each. I don't have time to wait for the permit for the Smokies so I have to work around that. I am planning on starting the first week of March. Maybe we will see you around. I have to go back to work in AK for the summer March 27th so I will be off the trail before then. captainmatty

captain matty
02-22-2016, 20:23
HI guys and gals. I am new to the AT. I just moved to NC. I work in AK end of March through November. I want to do a couple of 40-50 mile sections in the next few weeks. If I am reading things right you need to apply for a Smokey Mountain permit a month in advance??? If so, that section is out for me. I am having a hard time finding a good map showing the trail in detail so that I can figure out road crossings and distances. I guess that I need to buy the Companion? Will that answer my questions? Thanks and happy hiking. captainmatty

sheperd80
03-12-2016, 19:46
Hey folks new member here. Im a left-coaster but ive found this to be one of my favorite outdoor forums and hope to hike the AT someday. Im sure i can contribute something of use instead of just lurking :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Han Sobo
03-13-2016, 10:42
Greetings fine members of White Blaze,

I am going to thru hike the Appalachian trail (south bound) hopefully sooner the better. Was hoping to get an idea of how the Maine region is looking what with the relatively mild New England weather we had this year. I am currently in western Massachusetts.

I would like to beat the Maine black flies but would like to get some info on what the water/snow up there is looking like.

I plan on a lackadaisical voyage over all with a few scenic detours and maybe some fishing stops along the way. So getting some information on locations not too far off the trail such as waterfalls and other points of interest would also be something added to my notes.

I am also going to be hitting a few library's along the way for uploading photos / communications. I would be happy to post a few trail updates here to your fine site if it will be of any help or interest.

Hope we cross paths here in cyber world or even better along the trail!

-Joe

ElGringoRican
03-21-2016, 21:09
I have been a member of the site for a awhile, but I am not sure if I introduced myself. I have been collecting gear slowly over the last few years, going on day hike here in Rhode Island. I plan on taking a few multiway trips this year (mid-state trail in Massachusetts and the AT through Connecticut. Look forward to seeing you on the trail.

Flyboy52
03-30-2016, 23:33
Is White House Landing open for 2016

attroll
03-31-2016, 14:11
Is White House Landing open for 2016
It is listed in the 2016 guidebooks. Here is the listing.

White House Landing 207.745.5116 By advance reservation only, 2 person/ 1 night min for pickup/return, arrival date flexible. Open MemDay-Oct 15. Bunk $35PP, semi-private $45S, $75D + tax. Shower, towel, pillowcase included; linens extra. AYCE breakfast, Dinner menu includes burgers, pizza & more. Free use of canoes. CC accepted. Mail for 2-night guests only: PO Box 1, Millinocket, ME 04462.

MtDoraDave
03-31-2016, 19:09
Howdy. Glad to be aboard. I was section hiking the Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park last week, and hooked up with a bubble of through hikers for a few days - one of them mentioned this site. I don't know her user name, and I'm not sure what her trail name is... In that bubble were Bigfoot, Oso, Beast, Outlaw, HannaSolo, Bubbles, and a few others.
I've been section hiking for a little over a year now, and have hiked from Amicalola Falls to Davenport Gap. Some day I hope to do a through hike, but until I can, I do a week whenever I get time. I may become a 2000 miler before I get the opportunity to do a through hike.

Flyboy52
04-02-2016, 11:52
How can I change my username?

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 11:36
What's the weather like in Georgia mid-May. Nights ? Days?
Very nice! 60-70 degree highs and 50 degree lows

FlowerChild
04-29-2016, 18:43
Hi White Blaze community.. :)

My name is Susan, trail name Flower Child. In 2015 I hiked 700 miles of the Appalachian Trail, starting at Katahdin.. June 1st, and through the grace of extensive "free blazing" ended in Harper's Ferry, WV. October 1st. :)

I injured my foot, right around Caratunk ME, and that kinda threw a wrench in my hiking plans. So I embraced tears, hobbling, 8 mile days, and skipping large portion of trails, till even that was too much.. and it was time to go home.. (Which was the hardest part of my journey..)

My latest and greatest plan of action is to thru hike NoBo in 2017!! My first journey (SoBo 2015) I was 100% inexperienced, naive, and clueless in what I was getting into.. and to date it's the best decision I've made. Ranking in the major life changing events category: Hike the AT, pursue career, get married, have kids.. No marriage, no kids, career still in it's infancy... and honestly undecided.. and I might be stalling all that to thru hike again, you know, just maybe.. :P ;) Which is kind of the disadvantage/advantage? to comparing everything to long distance hiking.. Gaah.. X)

What I'm looking forward to in 2017...
-New Trail Name!
-Living like a hobo/child

and everything else is hard to put into words.. I think what this melancholy new emotion is.. is I'm trail sick.. I miss my adopted home, and family.. :P

Maydog
05-15-2016, 17:53
Just found this forum last week and joined a couple of days ago. I am an 56 year old American living overseas (Palestine). When I moved here 16 months ago, I fell out of the habit of working out regularly, and I've gotten into pretty awful shape. I get around OK, but I feel weak and fat...heck I am weak and fat. So I was sitting here on Friday night reading about hiking, and thought, "Hey Einstein, maybe you could quit reading about hiking for a couple of hours and actually go take a hike." So on Saturday morning, I got up and had some coffee and oatmeal, threw a 1.5 liter water bottle in my day pack, and walked around Jericho in 100+ degree heat for almost 3 hours. Loved it. Going out again in the morning. So thanks to WhiteBlazes for the motivation.

southernfire97
05-25-2016, 21:57
Hi all,
My name is Steven. I am from south MS. I've been intrigued with the idea of thru hiking the AT since I started hiking years ago. I never really thought I would be able to make it happen, but I have since married an amazing woman who fully supports the idea and is willing to live like a hobo with me for 6 months or so. We will be doing a few test section hikes before shooting for all 5 million steps. She just joined the site today as well, so she's lurking around here somewhere. Looking forward to the info and stories that abound on this site.

RoamingGentile
06-06-2016, 11:28
Hello everyone. Glade to be apart of the forum. I love the AT and getting outdoors. I am planing my first section hike next month going from Springer-Neel's Gap. PLaning it as a 3-4 day hike. I have a bulged disk in my lower back so that will give me some time to go slow if need be.

JoJoM
06-06-2016, 11:57
Thank you AT Troll for your welcome. I'm a little lost as to where to start so will be scrolling through the threads to see if I can find a discussion that fits. Our 22 year old son from Eastern Canada got on the trail on April 20th in Georgia. He refused to carry a cell phone and told us (adamantly) that he would get in touch if he found a publicly accessible computer in any of the towns on the trail. He has contacted us twice since then (Gatlinburg, TN and Hot Springs, NC on May 16th). We have now heard nothing for three weeks and we are trying not to go our of our minds with worry. We have been trying to educate ourselves on the trail and we are reading whatever we can get our hands on. Anyway, thank you for this great site.

JoJoM
06-06-2016, 12:00
P.S. I forgot to add, my son's trail name is "Wrong Way" (which we find slightly worrying!)

smokinjoe531
06-12-2016, 18:10
Hello everyone, and thanks for the great plethora of information in these forums. I am new to the whole hiking thing. Here's my story. I am 37 years old, not very active, and rather overweight. My brother was an avid hiker, mountain biker, mountaineer, well everything outdoors. He passed away in the beginning of April at the very young age of 41, not before he could teach me a few things. I can remember twenty or so years ago when he first took backpacking in college. He began to acquire all sorts of gear, the most memorable to me was the poster on his closet door. It was a map of the entire AT. He always wanted to hike it. As the years went on he started making some of his own gear. From hammocks and tarps to complete packs. He really loved it, taking his children on local hikes with him. He always enjoyed the outdoors. Fast forward to last July. That's when the bomb was dropped on us all. In the beginning it was Cancer but with an ok outlook. After 6 weeks of radiation it was looking ok. Possibly 10 to 15 years. Then another bomb came in January. Less than 6 months. Before you knew it things had diminished rapidly and he was gone. Mostly when we talked it was about random things. Trying not to be grim or talk about what was unavoidably going to happen, but there was one conversation we did have about after. I asked him what he wanted done with his ashes and he simply said spread them at the lake. Seneca lake was a huge part of our families lives. Our parents used to rent a cottage there as children, Our father later had a yacht there and My brother did as well. It was where his wife proposed to him. Needless to say i knew why he chose the place. It was at that point that i proposed my idea to him. It was simple I wanted to take a small amount of his ashes and keep them so i could spread them with a small group of close friends of both his and mine at Springer Mountain where that awesome white blaze begins. We both lost it. I could barely get the words out. So that leads me to today. I am sitting here planing local hikes to start to train for next year. I am shooting for hiking from North Carolina, Georgia border to Springer Mountain, but am toying with the idea of section hiking the entire trail over many years as i won't be able to do more than 5 to 7 days at a time and spreading half the ashes at Springer and the other half in Maine . That way he can go along for the ride. With all that said any advice is welcome. I will be using hammocks to sleep in as well.

Druid1952
06-14-2016, 11:24
Dear at troll,

I just started my membership with the forum and I could use a little help as I get accustom to it. Could you tell me how to start a new post when I need to ask questions about the AT?

Druid1952

Alligator
06-14-2016, 14:23
Dear at troll,

I just started my membership with the forum and I could use a little help as I get accustom to it. Could you tell me how to start a new post when I need to ask questions about the AT?

Druid1952I can help. At the top of the screen, under the WB name is a tab that says Forum. Click on that and there will be a list of Forums you can post into, some will have sub-forums. Click on whichever one your question pertains to. Once in the appropriate forum, there will be a button to Post New Thread (near the top). Click on that, type your post, and then under the post box will be the submit button. Submit and your new thread will be posted.

JKU
06-26-2016, 00:41
I just wanted to say thanks for allowing me to join. I am new to the whole trail/hiking world. I have done my fair share of being in the woods my whole life with camping, fishing, hunting and some local park trails with my son. My son and I are starting to get into the hammock camping so hopefully that goes great for us. Well again thanks for having me and any questions just ask and I will tell. Happy trails to all!

Big Heart
06-26-2016, 19:01
KatahdinHi WB community!

My name is Kyle, though you can call me Big Heart for now. My little brother and I recently decided to plan a NoBo thru-hike of the AT in 2018. I've followed along with many hiking journals over the past few years and can honestly say I've never been more excited (or nervous!) for the 2k+ miles we're going to force ourselves to trek! I'm using a trail name on here that I received from some friends a while back while day-hiking in Arizona, however, I look forward to earning an a new one on the AT.

I just wanted to introduce myself as I'll be popping in from time to time to do research and ask questions. I've really admired the community built between AT hikers and look forward to joining that and hopefully adding some value to the conversations being had here.

A little about my brother and I - Matt is a 25 year old outdoorsmen who spends his time as a white water raft guide, camp rainey mountain northeast georgia council guide, and anything else he can do to be outside. I am 27 years old and I work for a non-profit in Cincinnati that helps kids and young adults who are enduring cancer, in my spare time i take trips around the country to explore. We're both pumped to have this on the calendar and are looking forward to the planning process but more importantly to the journey from Springer to Katahdin!

Feel free to message me privately if you want to know anything else about us - looking forward to getting to know some of you!

With wild delight,
Big Heart

ThreeBears
07-14-2016, 12:19
Hey everyone. My name is Three Bears, I hiked the AT Northbound (the only way!) back in 2010. I also attempted a thru of the PCT in 2012, but had to get off due to personal reasons. A fact that has gnawed at me ever since. The trails, both all the good and the bad, have been a brilliant inspiration to me and have set me on my current path towards a love, and working life, of the outdoors. I'm currently working for (sarcastic drumroll please) an environmental non-profit in New York City! Because of course.

I like to think that someone on this forum has run across me at a trail magic event which I try to do once a year near Harriman State Park. But, if not, hello to everyone! Looking forward to being a member here.

soccerwonk
08-03-2016, 09:51
Hello! My name is Eric. I'm not new to backpacking, but I am new to the AT. Currently planning my first AT section hike for early next year. Looking forward to learning a lot from those here who are much more experienced than I am.

becfoot
08-08-2016, 18:29
Hey!!!! I'm really psyched to be here. I'm Becfoot, or Bec for short, or just Bec for the sake of being me. I'm lucky enough to live ten minutes from hiking, fifteen minutes from the AT (and loads of other great NY trails,) and even though I'd gone on a few hikes as a kid and I've camped plenty, it's only the past few years that I've developed a huge passion for serious hiking and the outdoors. Next year I'll be doing some section hiking. Until then, I'll be day hiking as always and carrying snacks for you thru-hikers I meet on my journeys. I'm thrilled to have found WB--what an awesome resource.

Click
09-19-2016, 12:04
Dreamin of a hike...
Born in Boston 6 decades ago so have 'known' about the trail...
Somehow got to the midwest (where the Mississippi travels from East to West for a spell)...
Ran a marathon @ 52 (almost qualified for Boston) but found some weaknesses in arteries...
So contemplating a walk (as Grandma Gatewood said in '55)...

BarefootBird
09-27-2016, 13:34
Hello! 28 from the UK looking to thru hike NOBO in 2018 :) Excited! xxx

Meesh
10-03-2016, 18:00
Hi, I'm Michele (Meesh). I recenly got into hiking when I decided to thru hike the AT in 2018. I'm moderately athletic and I especially love cycling. I'm doing short hikes close to home (in the Texas Hill Country) and slowly acquiring gear while doing research. I have perused several forums and they are very helpful. I'm looking forward to reading more and hopefully finding someone interested in a 2018 NOBO hike.

Cheers, Meesh

Pax
10-28-2016, 08:15
Thanks for letting me in! Been a hiker my entire life, and love being out and gone. After my recent knee replacement there won't be any more long hikes in my future, but I still spend as much time wandering with my poles and light day pack as I can.

baszabo
10-31-2016, 18:15
How can I change my profile picture?

higuy111
11-12-2016, 12:20
Hello,

I recently signed up here. NEW MEMBER! Wanted to say hello to all of you. I hope we'll get along.

mcbbcn
01-09-2017, 18:33
Hello everyone,

Thank you for creating this community.

Best,

IroquoisArcher
01-10-2017, 20:44
Just signed up too. Already finding lots of ideas.

Fodder
02-11-2017, 11:15
New here also. Looks like a great community.

Patriot76
02-14-2017, 19:40
I guess this is where we introduce ourselves. New to forums and this site, but not to backpacking. I have spent the last three weeks reading the great information on this site. Thank you to those that put it together and the many members that keep it going.

I have been backpacking for 45 yrs. Proof is the type of gear I still use: Kelty Tioga backpack (1976 edition), Eureka Timberline tent ( 7.5lb. model), hiking poles made from pine when I was 16, cheap polar guard sleeping bag from 1978, and plastic used to protect mattresses (these are replaced every year.)

I have backpacked and hunted in the Rockies (CO), Big Horns (WY), Black Hills (SD), Yellowstone (WY), and throughout Canada. Since I was a kid I always dreamed of hiking the big two (AT and PCT). Now I look at hiking the big three. That is how I found your forum and great advice. My shakedown hike will be the George Mickalson? trail (100 mi.) in the Black Hills of SD this fall and plan a thru hike of the AT early spring. The information I found on this site gives me the confidence that I can make it at my age. Thank you for all of your insights and information.

Maddog76
03-10-2017, 12:17
Just joined, so Hello! I've always had a love for the outdoors and grew up car camping with my family. I've just gotten into backpacking in the last year. I went on two short trips in Michigan last year, and I'm looking forward to my first section hike on the AT this April. Thanks for all the information on this sight. Very useful and informative

HeidiJ
03-13-2017, 13:40
Thanks for the add!

Raqstar
04-30-2017, 23:33
Thanks for the add! Member of the future AT class of 2018..

Kathy "Raqstar" Johnson

Bearded_Shrek
05-05-2017, 22:59
Hello to all and thank you for providing a fantastic site.

Ksatterwhite
05-08-2017, 22:59
Thanks for a great site.

TMathers
07-12-2017, 20:24
New old guy here thanks for having me

Ctothepowerofthree
07-12-2017, 21:23
Hi! Glad to be here! I'm planning my hike of the AT in a year. I'd be grateful for any tips, tricks, hacks or any such like advice. Thank you!

double d
07-13-2017, 11:40
Hello to all of our new WB members!!! Enjoy your hike, help each other out when you can and enjoy each step!!!!

JeffreyH
07-20-2017, 11:00
Hey, everyone! Glad I came across this forum. I'm Jeffrey, been hiking for many years (not as many as some of you though!). Always seeking to expand my knowledge and skills.

Cheers

mitchs1224
07-23-2017, 10:11
Thanks for adding me!

Saij MW
07-23-2017, 18:32
Thank you for the add! I am new to hiking, and I am particularly interested in backcountry hiking. I am currently taking clinics learning how to backcountry hike and have recently completed my first hike. It was great! Max Patch was epic! Learning all about gear is a lot of fun, and I am currently starting to purchase it all. Any tips and tricks of the trade would be appreciated. I am getting ready for my next backcountry hike in two weeks! Peace everyone!

Mathias33
08-31-2017, 04:20
Hello!
My name is Mathias. I am planing to go on the Appalachian trail the first time. Normally I do other holidays. My last holiday was at Phuket/Thailand where I did a 3 months holiday starting with sunbathing at the beach and then doing the one or other Tour. The interesting tour I've ever did was a speed boat trip to phi phi (https://clubchampagnephuket.com/phi-phi-sunrise/). But now I want to do a trip like the Appalachian trail and maybe the one or other side seeing tour on this trail. Maybe someone here can suggest me interesting hot spots on this trail.

regards Mathias

AmyVic
09-17-2017, 13:54
Hi all! I'm relatively new to hiking, but I'm slooooowly making plans to check a PCT thru-hike off my bucket list. As I currently live in a very small Canadian town with exactly 1 very flat walking trail (it's only a 3km loop), I am mostly just enjoying all the research right now.

Adsila
09-29-2017, 07:51
Hi everyone! I am new here, and am looking forward to absorbing all of the hiking knowledge I can. I am preparing to begin section hiking the AT next spring, and I have a lot to learn. Have a great day!

Wildcat Ange
09-29-2017, 08:58
Thank you for the welcome, AT Troll. I'm looking forward to reading all the great information on this site and in the forums. I'm a relatively new hiker, and I am currently training to do a thru-hike of the AT in 2019. Obviously, I need all the information I can get.

Darrien
09-29-2017, 09:07
Thanks for adding me, planning a section hike in late March on the AT. starting at Springer Mt. and going as far as I can go in a week. any one have any idea where that might end up at?

Slow Roller
10-02-2017, 23:13
Hello! Planning our third section hike in Georgia in a few weeks and got some good information on trail conditions from the general section. Hope it will be clear of fallen trees by then.

Biscuit in GA
10-21-2017, 21:01
How do I upload a photo as my avatar? Love this site!

Biscuit in GA
10-21-2017, 21:04
Nevermind! I see the answer was already posted. Thanks!

Noch
10-27-2017, 02:58
hello from the midwest!

some random name
11-04-2017, 08:55
hello to all from northern Mi.

reppans
11-12-2017, 20:49
Hello from CT!

Got back into backpacking (bicycle and ADVmoto touring too) after a long hiatus - converting over to ultra-light gear was the big catalyst, it just made everything so much simpler and more enjoyable. Hope to learn and share ideas with the community.

JAK
11-19-2017, 21:34
Hello. I used to post a lot here. Probably too much. Glad to see Lone Wolf and Tipi Walters are still going strong. Good people. Still hoping to get hiking down there some day. Daughter has just started University this year and is one of my students. I only teach part time. Keep hiking.

one-eyed guy
11-26-2017, 17:22
Greetings from the upper left hand corner of your map....and remember, there is no "r" in Washington

Maggie&Me
12-05-2017, 16:05
Greetings from wild wonderful Almost Heaven WV! So very glad to have found this wealth of information! I'm a relatively newbie hiker, Maggie and I (that's my dog) have racked up quite a few miles on the local rail trails and next year we're gonna "get serious" and hike all 45 state parks/forests/trails. The hubs will probably join us. :) I'm also planning a thruhike of the great AT in 2020, to give us time to train and prepare, cuz Maggie's going to need conditioning as well. Very happy to be among such knowledgeable folks, I hope to learn a lot here!

HotRod#7
01-06-2018, 12:41
Thanks for the add. I have been lurking on the site for a while now since I am planning a section hike from Springer mtn to Dicks Creek Gap in mid May. I look forward to it as it is a bucket list item for me. It will be in sections over the years to come but I will finish it in due time. I have learned a lot about hiking in general from this site so I figured it was time to make it official haha. Thanks again.

2Birds1Stone
01-08-2018, 19:58
Found this place ~3 years ago, joined ~2 years ago, and today I made my first post!

Aloha from Long Island NY. So far my fiance and I have done some day hikes in the North East US and a few in the Tatra Mountains in Poland (two seperate week long trips).

We are planning a thru in 2020 when we have saved up enough to risk putting two careers on hold.

Look forward to learning and living vicariously through some of you posting your adventures until then.

*wave*

oldmanofthemt
01-20-2018, 15:26
Hello from NH, I've just recently came across this site and find it very helpful. Most of my adult life I have hiked, camped, hunted, fished and just spent a lot of time in the woods. I seemed to be most at piece when I'm in the middle of mother nature. About a year ago I came down with a sickness that there's really no cure. I call it AT fever, I can keep it a bay with doses of books, buying equipment, youtube and anytime that I hike where you find white blazes. So basically I'm a AT thru hiker wantabe . My start date is not until 2020 (if my plan comes together). In the mean time I want to learn as much as I can so that my odds of being successful are greater. By joining this site I hope to learn, share and contribute if I can.

BowGal
01-28-2018, 13:42
Thank you for the welcome!
Hello from the northern region of Ontario!!
So glad I happened upon this site - exactly what I was looking for. After reading half-a-dozen books about the AT and PCT, I thought to myself “why not me.” If I could register for 2019, I’d be doing that now...but will have to wait a bit. My goal is to thru hike as I’m retired, so I have lots of time.
I like to think I’m well prepared - maybe not mentally, but physically. I’m a bow hunter up here, so when I am out hunting 4-5 days a week, I’m alone and covering 10-15 miles through hills and valleys. Rain, snow or shine - I’m out there.
I’m learning a lot here from others regarding base weight, gear etc. As I’m used to multi overnighters both hunting and backcountry camping, I’m used to carrying a 30 lb backpack. Course, casual hunting or backpacking will be nothing compared to a gruelling 5-6 month thru hike.

I do have two initial questions:
Currently I use a MSR pot with a 227g canister - good for about 4 days. For the AT, should I be considering switching to the MSR Whisperlite + white fuel? Advantages/disadvantages?

Secondly, being Canadian, any advice from other Canadians who’ve thru hiked? Do I need anything other than my passport? FYI, we’ll be driving to Georgia. Hubby is a nascar fan, so he’ll spend a few weeks hitting the tracks, then back to Canada. I know I won’t be able to transport food or fuel.

Thanks so much

jeffparker
02-01-2018, 18:54
This is great site. Welcome

Hippie dust
02-20-2018, 22:52
Hippie Dust here ( nutritional yeast ) I put it on everything. I have hiked Maryland and Pennsylvania years ago. The kids are grown and I am now looking to do some section hiking. Looking forward to learning and getting to know somesome folks here. 😊#bekind Thanks

JosePerez
02-24-2018, 02:31
Hello Everyone
I am new to this forum
Looking forward to get more ideas and share it.

kitcat74
03-12-2018, 14:28
Hello Folks, This is my first time posting, but I've been lurking for a while. I have never really hiked, unless you count my son's scout camping trips many moons ago.(20+ years).
For my 45th birthday (2 years) I plan to hike a portion of the AT, not sure what portion just yet. I'm in southern Indiana and we have tons of trails. I plan to prep myself by doing a few of those trails. I've learned a lot from lurking, and hope to find more info. I may have a few questions along in my prepwork.
Again thanks!

Camptastrophe
03-12-2018, 18:57
Howdy, folks! :)

Ligerloop
03-29-2018, 08:52
Hello friends! Long time searcher, first time user!! My bf and I have done some section hikes over the last few years in Maine and New Hampshire (breath-taking):sun. It has been a goal, dream really to hike AT for as long as I can remember. After following the white blazes last summer I knew I HAD to do it all. After very little persuading we have decided to through hike next summer! :banana I hope to meet some other friends who might be taking this journey next year as well, and explore some past knowledge!

BuckeyeBill
03-29-2018, 10:59
Hello to all new members.

BlakeM
05-03-2018, 06:17
Hello!:sun My name is Blake. I'm a working student. In my spare, time I go in for travel and walks. I'm from Canada, Ontario. I am 23 and I am very pleased to be able to be called to you.
;):D

JohnBelly
05-17-2018, 07:47
Thanks I'm pretty new here and I'm sure I'm going to learn alot here :)

BuckeyeBill
05-17-2018, 14:21
Welcome to the jungle John.

it_mike
05-21-2018, 10:17
Thank you attroll for a great site. I've spent most of my life in the great outdoors, but never quite made it to the AT. That changes next Thursday, May 24th. I'll be putting one foot in front of the other on the AT for the first time, launching from Springer around 2pm and heading as far as Neel's Gap on this trip.

Hopefully one day I'll have the time and resources to do it all at once, but for now I'll accept the opportunity to do it one section at a time.

cyril_13
06-27-2018, 03:59
Hi everyone !
My name is Cyril, I am French, from Amiens, 2h drive North of Paris :)
My wife and I are going to walk the AT this year, end July/early August.
It will be our honeymoon trip :) (at least the beginning) Can't wait for it !!

I've been reading the forum for a while, and I decided to subscribe, in order to be able to ask questions and (I hope) contribute with my knowledge too !

I've been hiking most my childhood in the Alps. I'm now practicing ski mountaineering and alpinism (mountaineering).
I've introduced my wife to alpinism and hiking and she loves it, so we'll give the AT a try this summer, for 10 days / 2 weeks see what this famous trail looks like :)
Just have to figure out where to start/end !! Which is not an easy piece to find.. there are so many places !
I'll post a message in the appropriate section, to seek help.

Thanks and see you around !

OldWolfe
07-29-2018, 11:21
Hi! Previous lurker joining in on the fun. Look forward to learning from the collective. Cheers!

HenhawkHenry
08-08-2018, 07:59
Hi, everyone! Newbie here. I'm glad to have found this great online Appalachian trail community. I'm hoping to learn more from the other members here. Cheers!

VTrips
08-10-2018, 11:28
Hi, My name is Kay. My husband, Mark, and I run Vtrips. A transportation service. We’d like to let all hikers know we are available to pick you up and drop you off. We service the upper valley area of Vermont and New Hampshire and our rates, we think, are very reasonable. If you need more information, please email us at [email protected] or call us at 781-761-6998. We are proud of our service and look forward to taking you. Thank you.

RKUlsh
08-12-2018, 10:36
Hello all. I’ve enjoyed reading all the experiences and advice. Looking forward to taking part in discussions, sharing experiences, and learning from everyone.

HenhawkHenry
08-14-2018, 05:58
Hello, Kay! Welcome aboard! :)

Walking Nature World
08-26-2018, 10:32
Hello, everyone! We are a young couple who dedicates themselve to creating photo and video content, as well as our own music. Our content is related to travelling and adventures. We love hiking, nature walking and camping. Our goal is to promote the healthy lifestyle, to motivate people to walk more and care for nature around. We are passionate walkers who love hiking, trekking and camping.

We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can because we learnt that this way we see so much more and can explore and feel the place better. We would love to find and communicate with like-minded people, that's why we've joined this forum. Looking forward to hear from you!

JosephDurham
09-15-2018, 09:25
Greetings from Ohio. My name is Joseph, and I have a strong passion for the outdoors. I look forward to reading, studying, here on this forum as I prepare for my AT journey.

jesse-tn
09-23-2018, 21:19
Hello from Tennessee. I'm a regular hiker and love exploring my state and the rest of the country when I can. I look forward to doing my first thru hike one day in the future. Just thought I'd join the forum and read sone tips and stories from fellow hikers.

Karyotic
09-28-2018, 15:17
Kary here. I'm a day hiker for now, hoping to become a backpacker soon. This looks like an awesome forum by reading up on past and present posts. I'm here to learn so most likely I'll be a lurker for a while.

Hardy1456
10-14-2018, 00:08
Hello fellow nature lovers. My name is Joe. I’m from upstate NY and did my first backpacking adventure when I was 17 and fell in love with it. I’m 46 now and still loving it. Prepping for March of 2020 at the moment. Hope to gain some good knowledge about the trail on here.

MountainBeaver
11-06-2018, 15:56
Hi all, My name JJ. Originally from the front range of Colorado but now I reside in Georgia. I am a long time hiker and backpacker. I am prepping now for my 2019 thru hike of the AT. Which has always been a goal of mine. Looking forward to learning from this site and other hikers.

Soggy Puma
11-25-2018, 20:46
Long time listener, first time caller, as the saying goes. :)

Have probably hiked a couple hundred miles of the AT over the years (mostly in NY/NewEngland) and my family has periodically expressed surprise that I’ve never attempted a thru-hike. Give it another 8-10 years of child raising and I should be good to go. Already given thumbs by my bride.

Never to early to start planning. LOL. Hoping to learn important things from this fine crowd.

zippyd8
01-12-2019, 23:08
Newish member... just got back on after a long time.

zippyd8
01-12-2019, 23:09
I enjoy camping and hiking so I should be on here more now.

AT98VIKING
02-14-2019, 11:15
Hello Fellow Hikers!

I am from Newnan GA area and have been lurking about on the forum for a while.
It occurred to me that I should pull the trigger and request to join the forum and glean even more knowledge from recent thru and/or section hikers about several aspects of the sport.

In 1998, I completed a thru hike of the AT and due to something called life; I didn’t touch the Treadway for another 20+ years.

My support team/sweetheart/friend/wife says I have been spending an inordinate amount of surfing on You Tube etc. to learn about all the changes in gear and permits and guidelines, etc. She’s been saying I suffer from OCD for 35 years.
Despite this observation, when I did my thru, my base weight was 30 pounds and load out close to 45. Yikes – that was considered a lightweight backer then – but I must have been a hulk. Finished in Baxter with base of 20 pounds, but still ridiculous…

Recently, the bug bit me again and I’m ready to resume!
HOWEVER, about four weeks ago, I weighed 223 pounds (neckid), and was way out of shape. So, I joined WW and have dropped 8 pounds. I need to hit the walking circuit and regain some serious mobility and in short order, I can “do the trail” again…..

It’s time to reclaim my trail moniker – VIKING – and a lot more.

QuietManAT
03-02-2019, 18:07
Completing a thru-hike has been a dormant seed deep in my conscious since I was a teenager in the 1970s. Joining WhiteBlaze is one virtual step in making that dream a reality and as a resource for planning a thru-hike sometime in the future. At this point, I don't know when that will happen. The earliest it seems likely at this point is 2027. A very long time in the future indeed. Should give me plenty of time to prepare physically and plan logistically. Please, visit my blog if you are curious about my journey into the future.

RossDeschamp
03-25-2019, 07:06
Thanks for adding me, I am new to the Hiking community. I'm almost 50 and I still cant wait to be outdoor daily.

reconstyle
04-10-2019, 01:05
Hi - new here from Florida. I usually do a week long AT trip each year, plus a few shorter trips in FL throughout the year. I'll be starting at Dick's Creek and hoping to make it up to Fontana at the end of the month.

LizaPold
04-23-2019, 03:33
Hi, I'm new here. Just begin to make logn AT trips. Here to chat, relax and get some answers :D

woodword2020
04-29-2019, 12:11
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and I look forward to learning and participating in the forum.

slowdive
05-17-2019, 23:06
Hi, I've been following Whiteblaze since Inchworm went missing. I always felt like a lot of people here really showed a real level of sincerity in trying to figure out where she was and what happened. Some really good people here from what I have seen. Transplanted to Florida from Atlanta a few years ago. What I have learned is here, winter is not coming.

Thrifty Endurance
05-18-2019, 08:11
Hi, I've been following Whiteblaze since Inchworm went missing. I always felt like a lot of people here really showed a real level of sincerity in trying to figure out where she was and what happened. Some really good people here from what I have seen. Transplanted to Florida from Atlanta a few years ago. What I have learned is here, winter is not coming.

Hi SlowDive, you should check out Underdog on the Appalachian trail on Youtube. He and Magic Mike are from Florida and there is a third gentleman named Tractor traveling NOBO. They are almost at the half way point. They are fun, funny and down to earth. You might enjoy their journey. Happy trails! ATStrong

Mike Goodman
06-23-2019, 16:48
Hi, all, and thanks for having me.
My long distance trekking days are likely behind me. But I have just moved to a home that is 20 miles from the Pigeon River / I-40 AT crossing; 15 miles from Max Patch; and 25 miles from Hot Springs, NC. And I have interest in doing shuttle drives, since I can't really afford to retire.
If anyone has good advice and wouldn't mind another shuttler in the area, that would be great. I'm not planning to jump into it too quickly, and it looks like I have a freebie this coming weekend for some friends. Just hope to get a feel for the experience.
Thanks in advance.

747er
06-28-2019, 14:04
Hi, there! My name is Jason and I`m from northern Germany. I`ve been thinking about doing a sabbatical for a while, but have no confirmed date, yet. At first I wanted to volunteer at an animal rescue somewhere, but then I came across a trip report of a guy, who thru-hiked the A.T. And I got hooked on that idea! So I hope, I can get some more informations on here, and make new friends!

Thanks for letting me join!

The Weasel
07-19-2019, 10:26
Well, not to say I've been missed all that much, but The Weasel is back. FWIW.

Old wease lbones are gonna start sectioning out of Troutdale NOBO over Labor Day. Mrs. The Weasel will be accompanying this pathetic old body.

The Weasel
GAVA 2000
VAME In This Century

SawnieRobertson
07-19-2019, 13:57
Welcome back, Weasel. Your perspective is always interesting.

The Weasel
07-19-2019, 16:51
Welcome back, Weasel. Your perspective is always interesting.

I'm an acquired taste.

TW

MattBees
10-28-2019, 11:55
Whats Up Dudes

My name is Matt, I'm from North Georgia! I've lived here in the area for about 5 years now. Initially when i moved up here from south Florida i didn't know anything about the Appalachian Trail. I quickly discovered the beauty that this area i live in has to offer and started hiking on local trails. After some research i discovered the AT and found that i live pretty close to the southern terminal. When i search for information about future section hikes, or anything AT related i always see this website coming up. I joined to expand my knowledge and talk to some cool people!

I've spent a couple nights on the AT throughout the last 2 years in my free time, and so far I've gotten from Springer Mountain to Neel's Gap jut over Blood Mountain around the 31 mile marker. One day id like to start from springer again and become a thru hiker, but for now I'm just doing sections. I've also done a little backpacking on the BMT, and Cumberland Island in south Georgia.

I work at the NOC Outfitters Store in the Nantahala Gorge, and this time of year a lot of SOBO hikers are coming through. I'm pretty stoked for spring to meet the 2020 NOBO thru hikers coming through the NOC heading towards the Great Smoky Mountain National Park!

flowman
11-12-2019, 21:46
Hey folks, I'm Steve, living in north GA, itching to section hike the AT (and others if I live long enough). Used to love trail running, but it's been about 10 years, and I'm coming back slower than I hoped to.

BrokenEars
11-15-2019, 09:25
Hey y'all, I'm Dan. I am going to hike on AT from GA to Maine in a few years. Hope to get plenty of resources on here about gears. Cheers.

Manc Dave
12-05-2019, 03:07
Hey guys. Just joined recently & hoping to one day thru-hike the AT. Hiked a small section of it a few years ago whilst on a solo-trip of the east coast, & fell deeply in love with hiking ever since. I hike as much as I can back home (in the UK), but my dream is to get back out to the states. Ive got 4 children & a job that doesn't allow a sabbatical period, so it's gonna be a struggle to take the months needed but... Im hoping by joining this forum that I can keep that dream alive 😁

Cartapouille
12-25-2019, 13:14
Greetings!

I'm a 31 french guy living in Brussels, Belgium, and I intend to hike the AT in april 2020. Been dreaming of the trail for years, always postponed for excuses and comfort, but this year a series of misfortunes made me jump the gun and I have the firm intention to go all the way. Gear is almost fully ready, but it's hard in Europe to get some stuff that I need so might need a bit of time in the US before walking to acquire the last items I miss some infos too, hope to get everything here.

Cheers!

SkullyA
12-30-2019, 23:51
Howdy, Y'all. I'm Skully and I'm from Idaho. I'm set to depart on a thru hike NOBO on March 15th. We'll see you out there, eh?

SkullyA
01-01-2020, 10:55
Howdy. I'm still Skully, but I've moved the date up a bit. NOW, I'm departing on the 12th instead. WooHoo!

mkoltonuk
01-14-2020, 15:22
Can you please tell me how to post a general question to all members?

Thank you!

Bigfoot

4eyedbuzzard
01-14-2020, 17:16

Thank you!

BigfootNear the top of the page, click on forums tab, then on the general tab, then near the top left, click on new topic/ post. Proofread before posting.

Working this from memory as I'm on the mobile site via tapatalk and the format is different.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

attroll
01-14-2020, 17:41

Thank you!

Bigfoot

Click the FORUM tab on the top of the page.
Now go to the forum that you wish to create a post in.
From within that forum click on the button called Post NEW THREAD, this should be in the top left of the screen someplace.
This should bring you to a new window with a Title block and a message block. From here is should be self explanatory.

Tentan
10-05-2020, 05:24
Click the FORUM tab on the top of the page.
Now go to the forum that you wish to create a post in.
From within that forum click on the button called Post NEW THREAD, this should be in the top left of the screen someplace.
This should bring you to a new window with a Title block and a message block. From here is should be self explanatory.

Thanks for your reply.

NOMAD1C
02-28-2021, 04:24
Greetings all. Just introducing myself my name is David. My trail name is Nomad1c. Pronounced nomadic but I use the number 1 in place of the letter i.

I am a total deaf person. I became late deafened in 2017 due to a TBI head trauma incident. But I have adapted well.

I will be doing a southbound section hike through the 90 mi of Massachusetts as my first long distance hike.
(to begin on 5/1/2021) maybe we will run across each other out there.
HAGD.

2Hobbits
07-02-2021, 07:32
Hello everyone! I am happy to be on board. While not a thru hiker by any means, I have hiked all of Ga, some of North Carolina and Virginia. I live in Virginia and I’m only about a hour from the trail.

Cgarlow
08-17-2021, 19:50
I’m trying to find AT hiking trail partner(s) for the Maine section of the Trail. Is there a way to post my “partners wanted” message. I’m flexible on start/end dates as I’m retired (but fit). I could go NoBo or SoBo. I’m just trying to finish the Maine section as my last section this fall 2021. Charlie aka Nose Flute 301-312-7703

Cgarlow
08-17-2021, 19:59
Hey 747er
I’m interested in a hiking partner for this fall 2021. I’m working on completing the section in Maine. I have hiked the rest of the AT so this is my last leg. Care to join me?
NoseFlute 301-312-7703 call or text

mtnswan
03-22-2022, 16:22
yay ! maine bound again looking forward to this years trek

TinFoilHat
02-08-2023, 05:36
Just wanted to Thank Everyone for so much valuable information!
Stay Safe!

Asura991
02-07-2024, 09:39
Hello! New guy here from IL. I've lived all around the Midwest my whole life in MI, IN, and IL. I've hiked through the AT in TN and PA but look to do much more in the future :)