PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to WhiteBlaze.net

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

attroll
02-06-2004, 08:51
:welcome Welcome to the WhiteBlaze Network!

The WhiteBlaze Network was created by a community of Appalachian Trail enthusiasts. Its intended purpose is to provide a forum for free exchange of ideas about the Appalachian Trail including its history, supporting the trail, hiking the trail, and general issues important to those that enjoy the Appalachian Trail.

This site is not about any one person or their idea of what the Appalachian Trail should be or to dictate to you (the hiker) how the trail is supposed to be used. We leave that for you to decide. Interact with the other members to get a better idea of what others on the trail are thinking and maybe you will get a better idea of what it is all about.

If you have any questions, don't look for an administrator with all the answers, even about how to run this site. Instead, come in and ask the members. Become a member, and you are equally as important as the rest of us.

So come on in and enjoy yourself!

Kozmic Zian
02-11-2004, 11:53
Attrol: I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the super forum. I really enjoy it...recently I've really taken off with it. Lots o' fun...even w/ the AH. I can see how it takes all kinds, right. But you guys (you have staff?) have done a great job. The site is very accessable, simple to figure out, and a joy to visit. I put up some photos, check 'um out. Be seeing you on the site....Kozmic Zian:clap

Pam Bennett
02-20-2004, 11:17
Nice Site. I have added my name and hope to gain some valuable info for my Trail Angel work that I look forward to so much each spring and summer. Have been baking homemade cookies and handing them out to thru hikers for two years from a downtown Waynesboro,VA office location. Have met some of the most wonderful people! I wish I could drop everything and go along with them! Sadly my office is no longer downtown as I have changed jobs but I travel the Blue Ridge Parkway to work every day now and plan to visit with the hikers there. Hoping to get some sort of feast or fest going in Waynesboro too for this years hikers. Won't compare to Damacus but it should be fun. I'd love to hear hikers ideas on what would be appealing. Look me up as you pass through! I am on the Free Hiker Shuttle call list that you get at the Rockfuish Gap Visitors Center.

Blue Jay
02-20-2004, 11:48
Nice Site. I have added my name and hope to gain some valuable info for my Trail Angel work that I look forward to so much each spring and summer. Have been baking homemade cookies and handing them out to thru hikers for two years from a downtown Waynesboro,VA office location. Have met some of the most wonderful people! I wish I could drop everything and go along with them! Sadly my office is no longer downtown as I have changed jobs but I travel the Blue Ridge Parkway to work every day now and plan to visit with the hikers there. Hoping to get some sort of feast or fest going in Waynesboro too for this years hikers. Won't compare to Damacus but it should be fun. I'd love to hear hikers ideas on what would be appealing. Look me up as you pass through! I am on the Free Hiker Shuttle call list that you get at the Rockfuish Gap Visitors Center.

Thank you my Angel, Saint, Hero, your cookies are great. I would move to the wonderful town of Waynesboro, where I've left all my worldly possessions unguarded at the Y three times, but I wouldn't want to lower the property values.

Appalachia
11-30-2005, 09:14
Just signed-up yesterday and wanted to say "hello" to all.
I am fairly new to hiking, although, I've probably hiked many inconsistant miles through the years.
I reside a mile or so from the trail. An area near the NY/NJ border referred to as Stairway to Heaven. I am fortunate to live in a beautiful area and have recently begun discovering it through hiking.
This site seems like a wealth of information and was lucky enough to stumble upon it while searching for info on "The Secret Shelter".
Thanks for offering such a well organized place for info and experienced discussion.
Glad to be here.
:sun

Kerosene
11-30-2005, 09:30
I reside a mile or so from the trail. An area near the NY/NJ border referred to as Stairway to Heaven.Is that the climb up to Pinwheel Vista outside Vernon? I had a lovely breakfast up there on a cool morning in early July 2004 after climbing up from my stealth hammock campsite a few miles south. Here is a picture of my view looking south towards Vernon. You can clearly see the High Point Monument on a ridge about 20 miles to the west, but my picture didn't do the view justice.

Appalachia
11-30-2005, 10:22
Is that the climb up to Pinwheel Vista outside Vernon?
Yes... exactly.

... Here is a picture of my view looking south towards Vernon. You can clearly see the High Point Monument on a ridge about 20 miles to the west, but my picture didn't do the view justice.
Not sure if it's just me, but... where? :)

Cloudwalker
01-12-2006, 23:41
I've been visitng this site off and on over the past couple of years and finally decided to join tonight. I'm from Eastern, NC where I have been working as a Correctional Officer for the NC Dept. of Corrections for the past 15 years. My plan is to attempt a thru-hike very soon after retirement (2021). As of now, I'm section hiking the trail. Hope to meet some cool people here at White Blaze.net

Jack Tarlin
01-12-2006, 23:49
Welcome, it's nice to see you.

Big Dawg
01-13-2006, 07:59
:welcome , Cloudwalker.

Jaybird
01-13-2006, 09:24
Welcome CLOUDWALKER!

I, too, would like to ECHO the above statements...

ATTROLL....THANKS for a GREAT service to the hiking community!:D

this site just keeps growing & getting better & BETTER!

jlb2012
01-13-2006, 09:51
hey cloudwalker - you should mention that you are rehosting Stove Stompers site on your site (with permission) - http://www.cloudwalkersbasecamp.com/stove_stomper.html - a number of folks here also liked Stove Stompers site

Rain Man
01-13-2006, 12:06
Welcome, Cloudwalker! Jump in, the water's fine.

Rain:sunMan

tiamalle
01-14-2006, 11:34

The WhiteBlaze Network was created by a community of Appalachian Trail enthusiasts. Its intended purpose is to provide a forum for free exchange of ideas about the Appalachian Trail including its history, supporting the trail, hiking the trail, and general issues important to those that enjoy the Appalachian Trail.

This site is not about any one person or their idea of what the Appalachian Trail should be or to dictate to you (the hiker) how the trail is supposed to be used. We leave that for you to decide. Interact with the other members to get a better idea of what others on the trail are thinking and maybe you will get a better idea of what it is all about.

If you have any questions, don't look for an administrator with all the answers, even about how to run this site. Instead, come in and ask the members. Become a member, and you are equally as important as the rest of us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected] Thanks this is a great site:D

cottonsox
02-01-2006, 21:32
Hello, I am new here! My husband joined last year. I know some of you and looking forward to seeing you on the trail. I haven't been on the trail for awhile now due to injury. I am good as new now and ready to do some backpacking!!!

attroll
02-02-2006, 01:36
Welcome aboard.

tiamalle
02-02-2006, 02:23
Welcome aboard.are you going to be hiking ant this year.

attroll
02-02-2006, 03:41
are you going to be hiking ant this year.

Are you talking to me? Because you quoted my post. But if your referring to my quote "2010 or bust". That is the year I am planning my thru hiker unless something drastic happens, like hell freezing over.

tiamalle
02-02-2006, 11:58
Are you talking to me? Because you quoted my post. But if your referring to my quote "2010 or bust". That is the year I am planning my thru hiker unless something drastic happens, like hell freezing over.
yes I was referring to you,Come on down and do some of it this year.Now
this is the most perfect hiking weather I ever saw in the south this time in the year,

attroll
02-02-2006, 12:01
yes I was referring to you,Come on down and do some of it this year.Now
this is the most perfect hiking weather I ever saw in the south this time in the year,
I really wish I could. But my job sucks. I only have two weeks vacation a year and one of those weeks is manditory for our shut down week. The other one I am trying to save for Trail Days.

I can not wait until 2010 when I can tell them to pack sand.

kyerger
02-02-2006, 13:07
Thank You for the great site. I have learned so much from it. I'm planning a flip-flop this year starting june 4 in SNP going north. I want to donate to white blaze and help and become a paying member. I dont know how much to give? what is the amount you suggest? Now be real about the amount.

Lacbe
03-30-2006, 19:33
The day I retired I joined WB. I plan to thru hike the AT in 2007. The information posted here is priceless and so are some of the members I've been reading.

trlhiker
04-21-2006, 20:43
Just found this site, looks great. I have recently gotten back into backpacking after 4 years of working to much. I have discovered that I desperately need to upgrade my 15 year old backpack and sleeping bag.

attroll
04-22-2006, 01:04
Just found this site, looks great. I have recently gotten back into backpacking after 4 years of working to much. I have discovered that I desperately need to upgrade my 15 year old backpack and sleeping bag.
Welcome trlhiker. I can relate to that. After I retired from the military and started backpacking again. I did not realize how much packs had changed until I met people on the trail. The one I had was an antique.

bambi
04-28-2006, 11:47
I am happy to be a member of this site...

MOWGLI
04-28-2006, 11:50
I am happy to be a member of this site...

:welcome Bambi! What kind of hiking opportunities are there in the Phillipines?

r4m
05-18-2006, 00:51
Nice site! I'm not a thru hiker but been on several sections. As mentioned in another post "my job won't allow" (maybe after retirement :D ) It has always been a dream of my son's and mine to thru hike the AT. And we've always enjoyed meeting the thru hikers on our hikes. I haven't been on many hikes since my hiking buddy (my son) went to the Navy. This site brings back alot of great memories!

skylighter
06-04-2006, 16:23
New guy here.. new hiker, new shoes, tired lungs. Thanks for letting me aboard. Just finding my way around the forum. Please excuse misplaced post, questions..
Just out on the mountain trails for the first time a week or so ago. So enthused that I came home and started looking for general info and ended up here. Dandy site, thanks.
Being 45 yrs of age and not terribly dillusional.....where can I find trail elevation profiles so I might plan a reasonable hike for myself and spouse. GA is a likely starting place. Springer Mtn apt to make me throw myself off the side of a mtn in despair?

Skidsteer
06-04-2006, 17:05
http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=62&compid=1

:welcome Skylighter. The link is to maps. Search around some and you might find them cheaper.

T-Dubs
06-04-2006, 18:30
I am new to this site as well. I've been away from backpacking for quite some time but my impending retirement has got me thinking, once again, of that trail in the woods I heard about all those years ago.

**r4m--I am near Dayton; you?

skylighter
06-04-2006, 22:05
Skidsteer,thanks for the welcome and the link. I'll check it out here in a minute. The only thing I have to base any sensible future hikes on is the elevation profiles of the hikes we did manage. Was rather surprised we pulled off we what did. Being flatlanders from Florida and all..

Madrvrfshrr, I heard about that trail myself back when I was just out of highschool. Dreamed about it but my world was too small at the time. Twenty five yrs have passed.....think I'll put one foot in front of the other and see what comes of it. Nothing ventured....

Thanks again to the good folks that made a place to come and dream as well as educate.

Flexo
07-07-2006, 20:06
Well, I have been hiding in the shadows reading posts over the last few weeks. I thought I would step out and introduce myslef and say hi to all of you.

I must say that this is the most active web board that I have ever seen with some really great articles. Thanks so much for all the hard work put into the detailed reports. I will be stopping by regularly to check out the new additions!

I am currently living in Phoenix, AZ. I grew up in Pennsylvania and drove by several of the places that the AT emerges from the woods in central PA. Mostly off route 322 (if memory serves me correctly...ever and ever more faulty :) ) I used to wonder who would ever eat all that beef jerky in the small shops along the road. Later in life, I lived just a few miles away from the AT crossing I-90 in Massachusetts.

Now that I am living on the surface of the sun, I have an itching to thru hike the trail. Absence makes the heart grow fond I guess. Luckily, my employer gives me a mandatory *sabbatical* after 7 years of service. So, i am planning on hitting in the trail in 2008.

So after that rather long introduction, Howdy All!

hikerjohnd
07-07-2006, 21:29
Well, I have been hiding in the shadows reading posts over the last few weeks. I thought I would step out and introduce myslef and say hi to all of you

:welcome We're a pretty strange bunch - but we get on alright...

What part of PA do you hail from? I have family on both sides trying to get me to move there - but both sides have their +/-.

And is 'Flexo' from Futurama? I just caught an episode of that and then see your moniker here. Just thought I'd ask!

TundraPoet
12-03-2006, 19:17
Hello! I'm new to the comunity and hiking in general, but I've decided to go all out. My girlfriend (an experienced hiker, you may know her better as Nameless) and I will be thru hiking starting in March. I'm really looking forward to it!

Skidsteer
12-03-2006, 19:34
Welcome TundraPoet! :welcome

TJ aka Teej
12-03-2006, 20:00
Hello!

Hello backatcha, and Welcome to WhiteBlaze!:welcome

SuicidalSlinky
04-03-2007, 09:46
I'll join the parade of newcomers to throw out my own "Hellooooooooo!" and say "Thanks for the site!" I'm looking forward to my AT experience and this site is definitely the best resource I've found!

Chicken Feathers
04-13-2007, 16:08
Well, I have been hiding in the shadows reading posts over the last few weeks. I thought I would step out and introduce myslef and say hi to all of you.

I must say that this is the most active web board that I have ever seen with some really great articles. Thanks so much for all the hard work put into the detailed reports. I will be stopping by regularly to check out the new additions!

I am currently living in Phoenix, AZ. I grew up in Pennsylvania and drove by several of the places that the AT emerges from the woods in central PA. Mostly off route 322 (if memory serves me correctly...ever and ever more faulty :) ) I used to wonder who would ever eat all that beef jerky in the small shops along the road. Later in life, I lived just a few miles away from the AT crossing I-90 in Massachusetts.

Now that I am living on the surface of the sun, I have an itching to thru hike the trail. Absence makes the heart grow fond I guess. Luckily, my employer gives me a mandatory *sabbatical* after 7 years of service. So, i am planning on hitting in the trail in 2008.

So after that rather long introduction, Howdy All!
There are a great bunch of folks in here. Anything you want to know about the A T you can find the answer here just post the question and bam someone will answer

ritzhenson
05-12-2007, 09:06
Good morning! Just dropping in to say hey. I joined this morning, and am here on a secret mission to gather beta on the AT. (Oops, I guess I just blew my cover) One day I'll ACTUALLY get on it! I'm living in Huntsville, Alabama so I'm not too far away. Thanks for the great site! Peace Y'all, Ritz.

Smitten
05-15-2007, 16:10
Hi all, I joined this site a couple of days ago and thought I'd say hello! I just quit my full time job as a Microbiologist to start preparing for my thru hike in February (hopefully). I've had it with the rat race and have been wanting to hit the AT since I was 15 (I officially turn 30 in one week). There's so much more that I want to say but I just wanted to intoduce myself and hopefully dig into the other forums soon for some much needed advice.

Aimee AKA Smitten ;)

Lilred
05-15-2007, 17:02
Hi all, I joined this site a couple of days ago and thought I'd say hello! I just quit my full time job as a Microbiologist to start preparing for my thru hike in February (hopefully). I've had it with the rat race and have been wanting to hit the AT since I was 15 (I officially turn 30 in one week). There's so much more that I want to say but I just wanted to intoduce myself and hopefully dig into the other forums soon for some much needed advice.

Aimee AKA Smitten ;)

:welcome To Whiteblaze Smitten. You'll find everything you need to know about hiking the AT on this site. I know I did. Congrats on your decision and don't hesitate to ask anything.

Nightwalker
05-15-2007, 19:22

Aimee AKA Smitten ;)

Very glad to see you here. 99% of the folks in this place are the true salt of the Earth, and will help you in any way they can. Then, unfortunately, there's folks like me*!

---------------------------------------------------

*That was a joke. I kind of do that every now and then. :)

attroll
05-15-2007, 22:00

Aimee AKA Smitten ;)

Welcome aboard Smitten.

lancemaria
05-21-2007, 04:00
I love it here!

tatrave
05-28-2007, 12:01
Hi I'm a 21 year old student at West Virginia University studying economics. I have always loved the outdoors and have always wanted to go back in time and live like those before modern civilizations. The closet solution to this seems to be to hike the AT. I first heard of the trail from a thru hiker named El Paso who is my freinds older brother. I believe he completed 5 or 6 years ago. The intrigue of the trail brings a fire to my soul. i am very athletic and played sports all through high school. I have never hiked before so I am in the process of collecting the proper equipment for this long journey and planning a smaller hike of like a week through the catoctin mountain trail (only 27 miles but if I keep walking and don't stop it should be sufficient preperation. I don't want to keep rambling....nice to meet everybody! ~ Travis

Brushy Sage
05-28-2007, 13:29
Hi, I used to live in Frederick and in the mountains west of Thurmont. The Maryland trails offer good conditioning for carrying full packs and for building stamina. For the development of mountain climbing muscles, though, nothing beats climbing mountains over a period of several weeks. I hope you have a lot of fun and will not try to break any speed records; there are too many beautiful and interesting sights along the AT that a high speed hiker doesn't get to enjoy.

adaliancruz
06-04-2007, 03:52
Just wanted to drop by and say hi :sun

Heater
06-04-2007, 07:04
Just wanted to drop by and say hi :sun

Hi! :welcome

cbserafin7
06-25-2007, 11:54
So enjoyed your adventure from the rat race, I have same attitude. Starting from Springer in Mar about 15. Maybe the weather here will give you a break on the start. Are you including spike wraps for your boots?
Welcome to you from another Newbie
Indy Girl
cbserafin7

oops56
06-25-2007, 17:43
Well i collect stoves make stoves must alcohol wick pumice stone etc. Hi Zelph me and him did some tea lite stoves like cook rice bake a potato. Well you learn more adout me as we go along and all about you as we go along. :)

Skidsteer
06-25-2007, 18:39
Well i collect stoves make stoves must alcohol wick pumice stone etc. Hi Zelph me and him did some tea lite stoves like cook rice bake a potato. Well you learn more adout me as we go along and all about you as we go along. :)

Welcome to WB Oops. Good to see you here.

Pedalsndirt
07-11-2007, 14:59
Hello everyone,

I just found this forum a few days ago after I came home from a trip to Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park on the weekend after the 4th of July.

I am no rookie to the outdoor experience being an ex road bicycle/cross country mountainbiker living in FLAT Central Florida, I spent many miles pedaling my bike in and around the little hills of the Ocala National Forest.

While I was at the park and since I like a good view and a physical challenge (which are way far and few between nowadays) I planned to hike up a short section of the the AT to Hawksbill Trail and to the top of Haswksbill Mountain. Needless to say I was stoked when I got to the top. The combination of sights sounds smells and the endorphine rush was enough to have me loving every moment I was on the trail. The next day I found myself hiking another 1 mile section of the AT where it passes the Big Meadows Lodge.

I got back home (I live in NE Ohio now) and am now hiking through our wonderful metropark systems. It turns out there is the Ohio Buckeye Trail I can do which goes all around the state (I am sure there are a few really nice sections that would be good training). It seems I cant get the AT outta my mind and yes I am considering a thru-hike ( need to get about 40-50 lbs off first tho ;) ). The idea just seems "right". I find myself reading online journals and and hiking forums for all the little nuances about a thru-hike. I am beggining to collect notes on sections, places to eat what to do, the right gear the wrong gear etc. etc. I guess im researching, you could say. I even set a "by when" to Thru-Hikethe AT. The season of 2010, probably starting mid March.

I look forward to all the comments and suggestions I can get. I like to be prepared for whatever I choose to do and with a great group like this, I feel that I can have a succesfull first time thru-hike.

Well, I just wanted to give a feel for the experience I had with the AT, it still is fresh in my mind. I am sure you all have heard it all. Here's just a new take on an old topic.

Thanks for reading,

Jack Tarlin
07-11-2007, 15:03
Good luck with your thru-hike and welcome to WB!!

Pedalsndirt
07-13-2007, 14:36
Thanks,

I appreciate it. :)

notorius tic
07-27-2007, 20:37
Look im new to this hole site, not the comp? check this out please send me instro to returnig mail an saying an posting my STUFF. Read my bio if you think im not 4 real contact me outside of this site at [email protected] pls ty Tell Garry an pepper tic is going back out if anybody knows were carpenter , ghetto blaster, carazy bear are pls contact me . Also im heading to me so if i can find anyone that knows TIC the notorius there is a bunch out there contact me................ im back with a smile an piles of trails deserve smiles safe hiking some body sosiosososososososoos

Scrollner
08-07-2007, 14:18
Being new to this site - I came after TP's closure - I really appreciate having somewhere to go to get my daily trail fix.:D That being said, I find this site somewhat more difficult to find what I'm looking for, maybe I'm just internet forumly challeneged:rolleyes: Anyone have any tips or suggestions on this? Thanx.

Alligator
08-07-2007, 15:30
Welcome to all the Trailplace refugees.

Being new to this site - I came after TP's closure - I really appreciate having somewhere to go to get my daily trail fix.:D That being said, I find this site somewhat more difficult to find what I'm looking for, maybe I'm just internet forumly challeneged:rolleyes: Anyone have any tips or suggestions on this? Thanx.The upper site menu bar has many links for finding things. You are probably most interested in the various forums. On the home page, on the second row of the menu bar is the link to the Forums (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/?)-far left. If you are not on the home page, it says Home in that space. In that case, click on Home, then go to the Forums.

Threads attempt to follow the forum category names:D .

Also, some of the items in the top menu bar have pull down menus.

7Sisters
08-08-2007, 22:37
I along with Scrollner, am a former TP(er) and am glad I found this place. While I found this site a few years ago, I just joined a couple weeks ago when WF sent me a PM saying he was intending to leave the trail community. Unfortunately when I asked him what was happening to his site, he said he would announce that later. He told me he planned to close it Labor Day (didn't realize Labor Day came so early this year - is that related to the change in Daylight Savings? :) ).

Anyway I am glad to be hear and have already met some fantastic people. Looking forward to reconnecting with former TP(ers) and connecting with WB(ers).

Peace be with you

The Weasel
08-09-2007, 01:31
Being new to this site - I came after TP's closure - I really appreciate having somewhere to go to get my daily trail fix.:D That being said, I find this site somewhat more difficult to find what I'm looking for, maybe I'm just internet forumly challeneged:rolleyes: Anyone have any tips or suggestions on this? Thanx.

You want tips? Here they are. They are useless unless you have (a) a mind and (b) the willingness to use it. If you lack either, you shouldn't be in either this Forum or on the AT, so consider this good training:

1) No one here is your Mommy, even if your Mommy is here. No one is a tin dictator. You can say and do anything you want, within the limits of the rarely-implemented User Agreement, except for disagreeing with me. You don't want to do that, since if you do, you'll get about 400 wild rants posted by me about how you're the one that's wrong, but I can't delete your posts or throw you out. Only ATTroll, Dixicritter or Sgt. Rock can do that.

2) This is a bunch of friends and people who tolerate each other (which is not always the same thing). There are no self-appointed experts who you must genuflect before when they utter their opinion, even if they have been around as long as me. Ignore opinions you don't like, or, unless they are mine (see above) disagree all you want. You may have 13 minutes of experience in backpacking, and be correct, while someone who has thru hiked the AT multiple times (and, unlike some people on other sites who remind you about it every day or two) like Jack Tarlin may be wrong (actually, Jack is wrong about almost everything, since he mostly posts about politics, and he's a Republican, which is amazing since he's a pretty nice guy, too, but when he says something about the Trail, he's not blowing smoke. Usually, anyhow). So don't be deferential to anyone (other than me, see above).

3) There are very few obsessive-compulsive neat freaks involved in this site. Forums are created for no particular good reason other than Troll, Dixi, or Rock (who spent huge time running much of this place while trying to keep the peace in beautiful downtown Baghdad and other such pleasure spots) felt like it. Thread drift is rampant, and flame wars (often started by irresponsible dolts who disagreed with me, see above) run on for days, weeks, years (don't believe me? look at the dog threads). No one really minds.

4) If you want information, it is findable but you may need to look for it. "Search" has good advanced features, but best is to create a thread and ask for help. It's provided. People here may disagree with each other, but they also help each other. Consider it a preview for what you will see, or have seen (yeah, that's not a preview, go to hell) on the Trail. Not once will you be let down if you ask for help about a topic or anything else.

5) If you want to debate/discuss/read about things other than the trail, go to the "sensitive" and/or Non Trail forums. Things get very vicious there, depending on the topics. Don't waste your time if you don't care about such things and/or if you have a thin skin.

6) Use the "new posts" button to stay current, if you don't subscribe. It will show you what is topical. It is very Zen doing that. After a while, it's all you need. Zen, that is.

7) Enjoy the Trail, as well as WhiteBlaze. WhiteBlaze is for people who are individualistic, cooperative, have opinions, a lot of skills (trail and otherwise), and dreams and hopes and fears. It's a crappy place for people who need to be told how to think and how to act and how to behave and how kiss someone else's thruhiking heinie. Here, HYOH is what matters, and you don't have to HDBH. It's like being on the trail itself. As such, it is a real trail place.

Start walking.

The Weasel
Good luck.

Uncle Silly
08-09-2007, 02:27
You want tips? Here they are. They are useless unless you have (a) a mind and (b) the willingness to use it.

[...snip...]

Start walking.

gawd, we love you, Weasel. :D

Scrollner
08-09-2007, 17:21
You want tips? Here they are. They are useless unless you have (a) a mind and (b) the willingness to use it. If you lack either, you shouldn't be in either this Forum or on the AT, so consider this good training:

1) No one here is your Mommy, even if your Mommy is here. No one is a tin dictator. You can say and do anything you want, within the limits of the rarely-implemented User Agreement, except for disagreeing with me. You don't want to do that, since if you do, you'll get about 400 wild rants posted by me about how you're the one that's wrong, but I can't delete your posts or throw you out. Only ATTroll, Dixicritter or Sgt. Rock can do that.

2) This is a bunch of friends and people who tolerate each other (which is not always the same thing). There are no self-appointed experts who you must genuflect before when they utter their opinion, even if they have been around as long as me. Ignore opinions you don't like, or, unless they are mine (see above) disagree all you want. You may have 13 minutes of experience in backpacking, and be correct, while someone who has thru hiked the AT multiple times (and, unlike some people on other sites who remind you about it every day or two) like Jack Tarlin may be wrong (actually, Jack is wrong about almost everything, since he mostly posts about politics, and he's a Republican, which is amazing since he's a pretty nice guy, too, but when he says something about the Trail, he's not blowing smoke. Usually, anyhow). So don't be deferential to anyone (other than me, see above).

3) There are very few obsessive-compulsive neat freaks involved in this site. Forums are created for no particular good reason other than Troll, Dixi, or Rock (who spent huge time running much of this place while trying to keep the peace in beautiful downtown Baghdad and other such pleasure spots) felt like it. Thread drift is rampant, and flame wars (often started by irresponsible dolts who disagreed with me, see above) run on for days, weeks, years (don't believe me? look at the dog threads). No one really minds.

4) If you want information, it is findable but you may need to look for it. "Search" has good advanced features, but best is to create a thread and ask for help. It's provided. People here may disagree with each other, but they also help each other. Consider it a preview for what you will see, or have seen (yeah, that's not a preview, go to hell) on the Trail. Not once will you be let down if you ask for help about a topic or anything else.

5) If you want to debate/discuss/read about things other than the trail, go to the "sensitive" and/or Non Trail forums. Things get very vicious there, depending on the topics. Don't waste your time if you don't care about such things and/or if you have a thin skin.

6) Use the "new posts" button to stay current, if you don't subscribe. It will show you what is topical. It is very Zen doing that. After a while, it's all you need. Zen, that is.

7) Enjoy the Trail, as well as WhiteBlaze. WhiteBlaze is for people who are individualistic, cooperative, have opinions, a lot of skills (trail and otherwise), and dreams and hopes and fears. It's a crappy place for people who need to be told how to think and how to act and how to behave and how kiss someone else's thruhiking heinie. Here, HYOH is what matters, and you don't have to HDBH. It's like being on the trail itself. As such, it is a real trail place.

Start walking.

The Weasel
Good luck.

Weasel,
Thank you for that informative (and humorus) instruction manual on the proper use of WB:) I'll try to be sure not to do anything to cause you to do 400 wild rants on why I'm wrong - it seems you already have enough rants going on elsewhere on the site:D Looking forward to furthering my edjumacation on WB!

dixicritter
08-10-2007, 10:08
Weasel,
Thank you for that informative (and humorus) instruction manual on the proper use of WB:) I'll try to be sure not to do anything to cause you to do 400 wild rants on why I'm wrong - it seems you already have enough rants going on elsewhere on the site:D Looking forward to furthering my edjumacation on WB!

LOL.... you're gonna fit right in. :welcome to WB!

Cockroach
08-10-2007, 10:30
As a Trailplace refugee, I am truly happy to find you all. I was a TP resident for the last two incarnations of WF's site (he took it down at least once before). Since no mention of any other site was allowed on TP, the existence of other sites (Such as WB) was obscure. The environmental difference between TP and WB is immediately evidence. The memories of TP will endure but it passing will no longer be mourned.

SGT Rock
08-10-2007, 10:51
The Weasel has done a great job of summing up the site in a bottom line up front style. Basically everyone here is responsible for themselves and responsible for what they say. You can decide for yourself based on what people say here who is a fool and if you should take their advice. Since there is more than one way to do the trail, having a chance to get to know people and how they think about things also helps to decide who's advice best fits your idea of how you want to hike.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze and please contribute.

double d
08-10-2007, 20:43
I was a member of TP, but I'm happy to have found this site and I hope I can contribute to this webpage. The A.T. means alot to me and I spend as much time as I can hiking it. Living in Chicagoland, I don't have the opportunity often to take off and get to the trail when I would like, but I think and care about the A.T. very much.

Skidsteer
08-10-2007, 20:48
Welcome to WB Double d!

The Weasel
08-12-2007, 17:15
Weasel,

Don't worry about what you say. You'll make me rant whether you want to or not. As Billy Joel once wrote about me, "Either I'm wrong or I'm perfectly right every time."

Welcome. Don't be silent. This is a good place with (mostly) good people.

The Weasel

The Weasel
08-12-2007, 17:18
Weary has done a great job of summing up the site in a bottom line up front style.

Weary? Weary has done a great job?

Dang, Ern. I generally don't criticise people who get to carry guns as part of their job description, but....

Sure know how to put a guy in his place. Dang. Good job.

The Weasel

SGT Rock
08-12-2007, 19:23
My bad, sorry, I will correct that post. I was having a migrane morning when I wrote that.

The Weasel
08-12-2007, 22:15
My bad, sorry, I will correct that post. I was having a migrane morning when I wrote that.

Please do NOT correct it. It is good, once in a while, to be reminded of the value of humility.

Weary DOES do good work, after all.

The Weasel

Sharkey
08-19-2007, 18:01
Hello everyone. I would like to introduce myself. I am a former member to Trailplace (like Cochroach and a few others) and recently joined WhiteBlaze. I have frequently visited WhiteBlaze since February but just never joined until now. I've enjoyed reading the posts here and I really like the way it is run. Look forward to sharing experiences and ideas. Hope to meet you in the forums and on the trail.

TJ aka Teej
08-19-2007, 18:22
Hello everyone.
Hi MarathonMan! :welcome to WhiteBlaze!

cbserafin7
08-27-2007, 11:07
still suffering with computer problems. New computers with issues ugh!
I am Indy Girl from Sautee Nacoochee. Departure from Springer Mtn, Feb-Mar, 2008 who plans departure then?
Sorry to have missed saying hi to the new members. This is an awesome group. Hope to meet some of you before the big hike.
Indy Girl

BlueFireGasm
08-28-2007, 02:02
High! I'm BlueFireGasm. SOBO then NOBO:confused:
Recently I had to leave the AT in Maine due to personal reasons. Unfortunately, I had to leave really great friends behind and cut my journey short. I hiked 543 miles in about six and a half weeks, almost hiking up Big K twice (long story), and I met the most awesome people!
I just wanted to say "Hello" and I hope to find some of the wonderful hikers I met out there. All completely unforgotten! And I wanted to thank the admin. for this awesome site. It's sites like this that allow me to be truely happy for a few extra moments. WhiteBlaze is already aiding to surface the memories I had adopted on the AT and I am more than happy to be a part of it. Thanks!
I do plan on finishing my journey at a later date, but for now..., I am going to enjoy reading posts here and getting to know everyone. Hope to share stories with y'all. I already have someone (I had met on the AT) in mind that I desperately need to speak with...(BO-GASM)!:D
Happy Hiking! Blessings! Stay Safe!

7Sisters
08-28-2007, 06:33
High! I'm BlueFireGasm. SOBO then NOBO:confused:

Welcome to the world of section hiking. It's a great journey.

duster
08-29-2007, 18:39
I've been looking for an online AT hiking community and it looks like I found it :) I have no plans for a thru-hike any time soon, but I plan on doing a couple/few small sections next year and a large section the year after.

Thanks for having me!

Skidsteer
08-29-2007, 18:54
I've been looking for an online AT hiking community and it looks like I found it :) I have no plans for a thru-hike any time soon, but I plan on doing a couple/few small sections next year and a large section the year after.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome to WB Duster!

Jaybird62
09-02-2007, 08:00
Hey all. I am relatively new to hiking (1-1/2 years), and just recently purchased a multi-day backpack. I took my first backpacking trip about a month and a half ago at south mountain in MD. I had a great time and met Bigfoot on his way to Katahdin from Harper's Ferry. I wanted to thank him for telling me about your sight, which is very informative. I live in DE, and have to travel a long way to reach the A.T.-anyone have any suggestions on some closer backpacking trails?

TJ aka Teej
09-02-2007, 10:17
[B]High! I'm BlueFireGasm. SOBO then NOBO:confused:

I've been looking for an online AT hiking community and it looks like I found it :)

Hey all. I am relatively new to hiking

:welcome to WhiteBlaze, BFG, duster, and Jaybird! :banana

Manach
09-16-2007, 15:59
Howdy, folks!

I'm happy to have come across this site. I've already read through a number of the articles and have learned quite a bit. I've hiked and camped for years, but long distance hiking and day hiking are different worlds entirely!

Having not yet been on the trail, I haven't been saddled with a trail name. So, I'm Art.

I'm planning an AT thru-hike in 2010. I don't want to plan it to death, but I want to be thoroughly educated and prepared. I've been reading about backpacking and the AT for years, but only recently have I begun researching lightweight and ultralight gear. Gotta get that pack weight down.

Great job with the site, I hope I can find a way to contribute. =o)

CameronMHouse
09-21-2007, 16:45
Just wanted to say Hello to everyone. This is a great site! While I have never backpacked the AT I have participated in several day hikes on it. Like a lot of other people on here my through hike will have to wait until retirement.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 16:51
Welcome, Mouse. We all will enjoy having you here!

The Weasel

Outlaw
09-21-2007, 20:46
Welcome, Mouse. We all will enjoy having you here!The Weasel

TW, where did you come up with "Mouse?" Better get your eyes checked counselor. :D

satchownz
09-23-2007, 07:46
Nice looking site. Just wanted to say hello. I'll post a link to this site from mine.

Cheers

Rick Hancock
10-09-2007, 16:44
Planning a hike along Shenandoah Mt Trail above Rt. 250. Has anyone hiked this area recently? Wondering about water sources. Only water is at Hiner Springs thinking it may be dry. Only other water would be further along at Ramsey's Draft. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Rick Hancock
[email protected]

Summit
10-11-2007, 11:18
Hello everyone,

Googled this site last night and it is awesome. As a short introduction, I live in Durham, NC. I'm retired Air Force (20 yrs) and have been backpacking since 1973 . . . let's see, that's about 34 years! Longest hike was 300 miles on the PCT (John Muir Trail . . . continuing on PCT from Twauollome (SP?) Meadows to Sonora Pass). I've done many 100 - 200 milers and have section hiked from Springer Mtn to the middle of Virgina. Also have hiked extensively in the Sierra Nevadas (while stationed in CA in the AF), Salmon Trinity Alps, CA, Banff and Jasper Nat'l Parks in Canada, Alaska, the Alps in Germany/Austria/Switzerland, and a 75 mile section of the Long Trail in Vermont.

I'm getting ready to do the approx. 67 miles from Dick's Creek, GA to N.O.C. (Wesser) starting Oct. 20th. Never get tired of the Nantahalas! :) I usually solo and pack lite, except for my 3-man dome tent which I love! It's a few extra pounds but I don't particularly like sleeping in shelters and love the "spread" this tent allows, especially in nasty weather!

I also love reading my Bible on the trail while appreciating God's awesome Creation! :sun

Blessings,
John

Ghosthiker
10-14-2007, 17:57
Just recently found this site, too. Thanks for a great source of information and general banter. I live not too far from Springer, since recently moving to Georgia. I am planning a week on the AT next spring. I've wanted to do this trail for a long time. Maybe one day (read post retirement) I'll have a chance to do it right.

Pony
10-19-2007, 13:45
I too am new to this site, hello all and thanks for having me. I am doing some research for a possible 2008 thru hike. Just wondering what reading material would be considered essential before setting foot on Springer. Currently I am reading Long Distance Hiking, Lessons from the Appalachian Trail by Roland Muesser, and Leave No Trace, A Guide to the New Wilderness Ettiquette from Backpacker magazine. Any help would be great, also let me know if this would get better results on a different forum.
Thank you

Slimer
10-19-2007, 14:52
All the reading material you need is right here on Whiteblaze. Just explore the sight and you'll find the info that you're looking for.

mattavina
11-09-2007, 00:04
hello all.. new to the site but old friend of the AT. I hiked about 200 miles in 2006 from GA to TN. and came down to visit GA in 2001 and did the approach trail. What wonderful times! :) I must say I'm pining for the trail once again especially now I'm fallen on hard times in my life. My girlfriend and I of over 10 years have recently split up and I'm in a weird place.

I would jut like to maybe chat with you folks here on trail related issues to rekindle some of that feeling I had. I would aslo like to get back ou on the trail whenever I can. I'm from Connecticut so any partners propositions would be welcomed and considered. I don't have any solid pland for going back out there yet though.

I know there are some people on this site that I know of such as HarlyHogpit and maybe some others. To talk to anyone I met on the tail would be nice. My Trail name was E.T.

:)

dixicritter
11-28-2007, 08:12
:welcome to WB

Cutty
12-02-2007, 23:46
could you tell how to post on whiteblaze?
thanks ,
cutty

Montego
12-03-2007, 02:17
could you tell how to post on whiteblaze?
thanks ,
cutty

You just did. By the way, :welcome

BigStu
12-09-2007, 07:26
Hello Everyone

I dream of setting foot onto the AT and will be doing so next spring when I have set aside some time to walk about 50 miles in Virginia.

I know that is just a tiny fraction but we all start somewhere !

If it's OK with you I will have a look around and I am sure that I will have some questions about the sections that I am planning to hike. Any help that you can give me with your local knowledge will be gratefully received.

Warmest regards from Across the Pond :)

BigStu

Lilred
12-09-2007, 11:30
:welcome to Whiteblaze BigStu. You'll find answers to all your questions, just ask away. Happy Hiking. :D

Hello Everyone

I dream of setting foot onto the AT and will be doing so next spring when I have set aside some time to walk about 50 miles in Virginia.

I know that is just a tiny fraction but we all start somewhere !

If it's OK with you I will have a look around and I am sure that I will have some questions about the sections that I am planning to hike. Any help that you can give me with your local knowledge will be gratefully received.

Warmest regards from Across the Pond :)

BigStu

GMTMinusFive
12-13-2007, 15:37
Hello. Total and complete noob, here, and all I can say about this site is, "Wow!"

What a wealth of information and community. I'm looking forward to getting into hiking more and exploring the obviously expansive resources on this site. I've read a few posts so far and everyone seems to be very kind and helpful.

Thanks to the site admins for this awesome resource.

Montego
12-13-2007, 15:41
Welcome to WhiteBlaze GMTMinusFive. You will find a lot of good information from some great people here. Enjoy :welcome

Jack Tarlin
12-13-2007, 17:07
I think that some of us who've been here awhile and visit just about every day tend to forget that this doesn't describe everyone here.......there are lots of new folks, in fact there are probably new folks every single day.

Just wanted to welcome you all, and encourage you to take part. If you're looking for information on hiking on the A.T., especially if you're looking for information on planning and preparing for a long trip, you've come to the best place on the web.

And we're very happy to have you all here!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-13-2007, 17:26
Welcome to WhiteBlaze. It is a great place to find information and to learn about the trail. Hope to see you all on a trail soon.

Sly
12-13-2007, 17:32
Hello. Total and complete noob, here, and all I can say about this site is, "Wow!"

What a wealth of information and community. I'm looking forward to getting into hiking more and exploring the obviously expansive resources on this site. I've read a few posts so far and everyone seems to be very kind and helpful.

:welcome

Don't forget to check all the links in the menu. Lots of great stuff.

GMTMinusFive
12-14-2007, 09:37
Thanks, gang! I appreciate the welcome.

tazie
12-23-2007, 14:36
Question about avatars..sorry if this has been posted before, if so please point me in the right direction. How do I upload a custom photo for my avatar? Thanks in advance, and again, thanks for the warm welcome here.

attroll
12-23-2007, 15:35
We have set the avatars so that only donating members can upload personal avatars. We did this to try to encourage donations to help us with the offset of the cost of running this web site. The answer to your question would be, only donating members can upload avatars and anyone else can only use the avatars provided by the web site.

Cape078
12-23-2007, 17:02
I think this is whare I'm suppose to post something like this.?.?.?

I think your site is Amazing, and far more usful than anything I have stumbled upon on the Web. Just wanted to Say Thanks, and also Hello.

Cape

P.S. I like to tell people to "Pee up a rope", that usually gets the message acrossed too.LOL

Cape078
12-23-2007, 17:04
I think this is whare I'm suppose to post something like this.?.?.?

I think your site is Amazing, and far more usful than anything I have stumbled upon on the Web. Just wanted to Say Thanks, and also Hello.

Cape

P.S. I like to tell people to "Pee up a rope", that usually gets the message acrossed too.LOL

that P.S. was in reference to your "Pack Sand" comment

Cape078
12-23-2007, 17:07
I really wish I could. But my job sucks. I only have two weeks vacation a year and one of those weeks is manditory for our shut down week. The other one I am trying to save for Trail Days.

I can not wait until 2010 when I can tell them to pack sand.
This one, sorry, I'm new here...

Hoop
12-31-2007, 14:07
This site is terrific -- very helpful info w/out the sales pitch. Preparing for first hike (10 day) summer '08, with more later. Reading up & looking at gear, etc. Can't wait! :rolleyes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected]

Venture
01-03-2008, 15:43
I have been dreaming about thru hiking for nine years now. Much of the information here has and will continue to prove very valuable. Dont know why i didnt join any sooner! Thank you for making this a part of your lives! :)

ebp_em1
01-13-2008, 20:55
Hello,

I ran across this site while looking for trail information in Georgia. I live in Utah, and have done plenty of hiking out west, with Canyonlands NP being my favorite place. I will be in Georgia for three months, and would like to get some miles in back east. I'm sure I will have a few questions here and there.

Thanks

Montego
01-13-2008, 21:03
Hello,

I ran across this site while looking for trail information in Georgia. I live in Utah, and have done plenty of hiking out west, with Canyonlands NP being my favorite place. I will be in Georgia for three months, and would like to get some miles in back east. I'm sure I will have a few questions here and there.

Thanks

Welcome to WhiteBlaze ebp em1. Glad you 'found' us. There is a lot of good folks here with timeless information :welcome

desdemona
01-13-2008, 23:32
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me "crashing" your site. I am not from around there, but live in New Mexico. However, I just can't seem to find a really active hiking site (that isn't all long hikes).

I am a day hiker and also like to do some scrambling (climbing without equipment). I am a newbie to hiking/climbing and have a lot to learn, hence my desire to ask questions and have an active community to go in to. Sadly I doubt you'all know about desert hiking. But still, I'm sure I can learn a lot of other stuff.

--des

Montego
01-13-2008, 23:39
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me "crashing" your site. I am not from around there, but live in New Mexico. However, I just can't seem to find a really active hiking site (that isn't all long hikes).

I am a day hiker and also like to do some scrambling (climbing without equipment). I am a newbie to hiking/climbing and have a lot to learn, hence my desire to ask questions and have an active community to go in to. Sadly I doubt you'all know about desert hiking. But still, I'm sure I can learn a lot of other stuff.

--des

Welcome to WhiteBlaze desdemona. There are people here from all over the country and, I'm sure, some have hiked in the desert as well as rock scrambled :welcome

bloodmountainman
01-17-2008, 17:05
Hello,

Thanks
My trail name is Moses. I live about 5 miles from Bloodmountain and Neels Gap. I have done all the Georgia section and might be of some help to you. Let me know how I can help.
User name is bloodmountainman@yah

Chef McAlevy
01-17-2008, 17:10
Hey...
My Fiance and I will be hiking the Appalachian Trail From Springer Mountain to Mount Kathadrin for our honeymoon in March 2009. I am just surf the site to find some information I'm looking for to help me. Appericate your help

OMC

fuddy
01-26-2008, 22:06
Hello!

Very nice site here, I'm just starting to find my way around.

My daughter is planning a through-hike. I'd like to keep track of her progress here.

Thanks for all the great info here, now I'm going to explore some more....

Montego
01-26-2008, 22:23
Well, welcome to WhiteBlaze Chef McAlevy and fuddy. There is a fine group of people here that can answer any questions you have about the AT and hiking in general :welcome:welcome

Rockhound
01-29-2008, 23:26
hotmail sent my activation info to my junkmail file but im sure this site will prove to be anything but junk. i hiked 2/3 of the trail last year & had a fantastic time the whole way (well most of the way anyway) hoping to find some familiar faces here

Montego
01-29-2008, 23:27
Glad you enjoyed your hike rockhound :welcome

warraghiyagey
01-29-2008, 23:36
hotmail sent my activation info to my junkmail file but im sure this site will prove to be anything but junk. i hiked 2/3 of the trail last year & had a fantastic time the whole way (well most of the way anyway) hoping to find some familiar faces here
Which direction did you go and when were you on the trail?? Your name sounds familiar.
Oh and :welcome:welcome

Rockhound
01-30-2008, 01:09
just signed on to whiteblaze. still getting my feet wet, but from what ive seen so far it makes me wonder why i didnt sign up sooner. i hiked 2/3 of the trail last year. time was a factor. i still need to make $ sometimes. but looking forward to hiking another good portion this year.(some overlap) maybe I'll do the whole thing in 1 year in the upcoming years, but if not , thats O.K.too. the traildays theme this year says it all for me. "the journey is the destination" unfortunately i won't be there for trail days this year because i just found out ill be working! DOH! I'm sure I'll still meet a lot of great people in my travels. thanks for the site. it's great

earlylight
02-19-2008, 16:50
I've been off of the board for about a year...but I'm back. Getting ready for a few hundred miles of Section Hiking this year. What's with the new bumpersticker? :-)

arasjane
02-20-2008, 19:27
:sun I found this site tru Facebook. Very cool. I am gonna go wander around a little bit. Hope to talk to ya'll soon. Thanks!!

woodsy
02-20-2008, 19:51
:sun I found this site tru Facebook. Very cool. I am gonna go wander around a little bit. Hope to talk to ya'll soon. Thanks!!
:welcome Enjoy the ride! I mean hike.....

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 21:04
:welcome:welcome

Lemni Skate
02-22-2008, 14:14
I live near SNP and after resigning from my job as a preacher I have made a section hike over the next few years a goal. When my kids are in college and I've got enough years in teaching to get full retirement (13 years to go), then I'm thru-hiking, by golly. Gotta lose about 25 more pounds to start my overnight trips (May 18), so I can sleep in the woods with out having to plug in my sleep apnea machine.

Love the site.

Alligator
02-22-2008, 14:17
I live near SNP and after resigning from my job as a preacher I have made a section hike over the next few years a goal. When my kids are in college and I've got enough years in teaching to get full retirement (13 years to go), then I'm thru-hiking, by golly. Gotta lose about 25 more pounds to start my overnight trips (May 18), so I can sleep in the woods with out having to plug in my sleep apnea machine.

Love the site.Good luck with the weight loss and if you want some support check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9139).

Summit
04-02-2008, 22:01

Love the site.Welcome to WB! Hope you find the vast tips and experience helpful. Keep working toward your goal . . . you can do it! ;)

shaunx
04-16-2008, 02:01
Hello there,
Thanks for all for letting me to know about this forum. My name is Shaun and i am from India. One of my friend told me about his site. Cheers to all and lets share our different views together.

TOW
04-16-2008, 06:44
Welcome Shaun......

PRIVY MONSTER!
04-19-2008, 00:07
...And Hello!

Just registered here after 400+ miles now. I'll look in now and then, as time and access permit of course.... after all, there are all of those up hills and down hills to fill my day already!

Vik
05-05-2008, 22:11
G'Day from 'Down under',
I just joined from Western Australia, and hope to communticate with you lovely people about hiking in the NE of Georgia. I will be travelling there later this year and can't wait!:)
Cheers
Vik.

doggiebag
05-05-2008, 22:18
G'Day from 'Down under',
I just joined from Western Australia, and hope to communticate with you lovely people about hiking in the NE of Georgia. I will be travelling there later this year and can't wait!:)
Cheers
Vik.
Welcome to Whiteblaze Vik. :welcome

Vik
05-05-2008, 22:32
Thank you so much Doggiebag.
Love your dog pic!

OwlsRevenge
05-12-2008, 21:13
Vik, I'm new here too...but I've been hiking and (mostly)fishing in GA for a few years now ( whoo boy, I'm getting old!) I might not be the best help with trail conditions since I have spent more of my time in the water than on the trail, but I'd be glad to help if you need it. I'm about 30 minutes from the mountains and 45-60 minutes from the AT.

sneaker
05-31-2008, 11:50
Hello,

New to the forum. Actually, I have been lurking for a short time. There was no need to post questions because the search link is my friend. Keep posting and I will keep reading. Atoll and SGT Rock, thanks for a great site.

sneaker

yogimeg55
05-31-2008, 17:35
hey everyone!
i am new to whiteblaze and am just learning how to navigate through it. i really appreciate and enjoy reading the posts and threads. all of your advice is really helpful. i plan to thru-hike next year (starting in early April 2009). i am a 23 year-old woman from PA looking to meet some potential companions that mayb be starting around the same time. my email is [email protected] please feel free to email or leave me messages on whiteblaze if you wish. i look foward to hearing from any of you!
peace, yogimeg

greasy
06-10-2008, 08:26
Hi,
I have been wanting to thru hike that AT ever since '94 when I hiked the NC/Tenn section with a outwardbound type youth camp(yes I was one of those annoying kids everyone complains about in their journals).
14 years later, now I'm 27 and I am planning on doing my hike either 2009 or 2010
I joined this site because I am trying to gather as much info as possible before I start my journey... I don't want to end up being one of the statistical hikers who starts out with big plans but falls short for various reasons.
I have a pretty good idea of how much cash needs to be saved, and I am also pretty comfortable with what gear I will be needing/using. So as far as I can tell the only thing that could stop my hike short once it starts is if I get injured(and even then it will need to be a pretty serious injury)... I know for sure I will not lose motivation because i have been dreaming of doing this for at least 8 years, and I am pretty athletic/fit for the hike...
anyway I just wanted to post here and introduce myself....

Stay cool,
greasy

Steppin
06-23-2008, 13:11
Hi! I've been hiking the eastern portions of Pennsylvania's Appalachians for years now. Found this place from a passerby who was thru hiking and yo-yo-ing cars. I'm hoping this community can help me find people to meet up with and develop my skills with. I'm looking forward to learning from you all!

Tin Man
06-23-2008, 13:56
Hi! I've been hiking the eastern portions of Pennsylvania's Appalachians for years now. Found this place from a passerby who was thru hiking and yo-yo-ing cars. I'm hoping this community can help me find people to meet up with and develop my skills with. I'm looking forward to learning from you all!

Welcome to White Blaze! Check the articles section on the left side of the front page. There is a lot of useful information there. Don't be afraid to ask questions and be prepared to ignore some of lunacy going on here. Most of it is just in fun. Happy Trails!

truthisnature
06-25-2008, 12:31
Hello All, I am new to the world of hiking. In January I joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Hike for Discovery. We did training hikes on sections of the AT to prepare for an event hike in the Rocky Mountains. We were well prepared. I have come to love hiking and am looking forward to next years Hike for Discovery. I am hoping to be able to find the funds and the time to do a thru hike before I am 45 (2015) Being a single mother of two girls makes it hard...but I got determination on my side. I have found alot of helpful advice on this site and visit daily. Thank you for providing such a great forum.

4eyedbuzzard
06-25-2008, 12:48
:welcome Lots of good info here. Lots of opinions too. It's a very active discussion board with some strong personalities. Don't take some of the more heated debates too seriously.

Jump right in!

Ryan
07-02-2008, 12:00
Well I suppose this is as good a place as any for a first post. I'm 21 now, and haven't backpacked at all since coming to college, but in high school I did quite a bit of weekend and weeklong backpacking trips. I got the itch again recently, and rummaged up all my backpacking stuff with the hopes of going out on some more trips this summer and fall.

Additionally, if I can get back into decent shape and get my act together, I would love to thru-hike the AT in 2009 right after graduation in late May. Anyway, this place seems like an excellent source of information to get caught back up on the backpacking world, and I'm sure I'll have some questions in the coming months. I look forward to talking with ya'll!

envirodiver
07-02-2008, 13:08
:welcomeThis site is a great source of information. There is a lot of thru-hiking experience in addition to general backpacking knowledge.

The search function is excellent also when looking for specific information on a piece of gear. If you have questions start a thread and you'll be shocked at how qucikly you'll get several answers.

jjtwister
07-03-2008, 19:29
Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a great energy bar you can get at "ON THE EDGE" farmstand on route #12 in Pomfret, VT. The trail is just a short walk to the stand. These bars are homemade and not only taste great but provide a good nutritious boost for you hikers.

llib20
07-04-2008, 22:39
I'm just beginning to plan my thru-hike of the AT next year so happening upon this site is great and I really can't wait to learn from your experiences.

» James

Cuffs
07-05-2008, 11:05
Welcome llib20! Surf the Articles section and also the gear forums for info. Have questions? Ask away!

keidallmer
07-05-2008, 19:39
Hiyo, all! My name's Kei (pronounced 'Kay'), and I've just joined. I spent my first year of college at Ferrum College in southwestern Virginia and I fell in with some folks in the Recreation and Outdoors Club. That opened up an entirely new world for me! But now that I'm back in Jersey, I can't give up the life I had in Virginia. So I've started planning a hike through a portion of the AT next summer with a lot of my pals from college. So stoked! I'm glad to have found this place, lots of my questions have already been answered and I haven't even been here for more than a day or two. :p

HikerRanky
07-05-2008, 22:29
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Kei! There is a LOT of information here in both the Articles and in the Forums as well... All that you have to do is ask a question and you'll get several answers in relatively short order....

Been up to NJ a couple of times work related..... Hope to get up on the Trail section sometime in the not too distant future.

Again, welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Randy

minnesotasmith
07-05-2008, 22:48

This I've got to hear about. NOBO or SOBO? Tent, bivy, hammock, or tarp? Bringing dog or friend? White- or blue-blazing? Cooking or eating cold? Lekis or a hiking staff? Approach Trail? Rough start date?

attroll
07-06-2008, 01:16
This I've got to hear about. NOBO or SOBO? Tent, bivy, hammock, or tarp? Bringing dog or friend? White- or blue-blazing? Cooking or eating cold? Lekis or a hiking staff? Approach Trail? Rough start date?
If you really got to know:
NOBO or SOBO? (NOBO), Tent, bivy, hammock, or tarp? (Tent for start then hammock), Bringing dog or friend? (Neither), White- or blue-blazing? (WhiteBlazing), Cooking or eating cold? (Both) Lekis or a hiking staff? (Lekis), Approach Trail? (No), Rough start date? (Private)

Lops
07-07-2008, 12:46
Hello Whiteblaze! My trailname's Lops and I've been a whiteblaze surfer for a while and finally got around to joining. First of all I've just got to repeat what has been said numerous times...this a great site and my fiance (trailname CRS) and I have gotten tons of valuable info from it. I can't wait to add to it in the future :sun. Thanks Attroll and all the great hikers out there!

I'm working on finishing up my master's degree in geology -- My fiance and I are planning a NOBO hike in 2009. We currently live in the Chicago area, I'm from Colorado and CRS is from Maine. We'll be hiking up to Maine and settling in there (hopefully :D). We've most of our gear together and 30 shakedown miles under our belts so far (knobstone trail, anyone hiked it?) and we plan on figuring out an itinerary soon. Can't wait to get out there and get our boots on the trail!

Sly
07-07-2008, 12:52
Have a great hike Lops and CRS. :welcome to Whiteblaze!

Plodderman
07-15-2008, 08:57
Enjoying the site and using it for information as I hike parts of the AT. Lots of good info.

BuffalosGandalf
07-17-2008, 22:09
Hi all... I've just recently been biten by the hiking bug. 2 years ago I stumbled upon geocaching on a free weightloss site and thought...HMMM my boys would like that...real life "treasure" hunting. I tended to look for the long hikes... now I want to get my 4 year old hooked on the outdoors. He will choose to be outside over anyhting else any day of the week. I may never be able to take the time to thru hike the AT, but maybe either 2 or 3 of us can section hike it. Looking forward to learning anything and everything that can help.

BG

Bearpaw
07-17-2008, 22:12
Welcome aboard BuffalosGandalf. I hope you have fun here, learn much, and get the chance to share your experiences with us. Walking with kids is definitely its own challenge and reward.

trouthunter
07-18-2008, 21:58
Hello all, I am new here. I am not yet a through hiker. I have done clingy d. south to the Mountain Crossings store. And some other short sections as connectors on backpacks.
I do a good bit of weekend trips with friends, and some 5-6 day trips as solos with my wonderful (well behaved ) dog. His name is Boo. We also do a good bit of fishing all over the Southern Apps. So I may not be the typical Whiteblaze member, but I am here to learn since I would like to do a through hike in a few years. That should gimmi some stories to tell over and over in my old age, ya know?

FritztheCat
07-22-2008, 20:07
Hello everyone!

Just joined today and have an awful lot of reading here to do!

I'm retiring after 20 years of military service in 2010 and plan a thru-hike (NOBO) in 2011. Hiking the AT has been a dream of mine for a number of years. I've been seriously preparing for a couple of months now and figure by the time 2011 rolls around, I'll be ready to roll.

My only experience on the AT has been through the Shenandoah National Park here in Virginia. There are several decent hikes here in the local area but nothing with any elevation (I live at the beach afterall). So, I've mainly been working on testing gear (backpack types/weight and footwear) and working on endurance hikes.

I'm glad to be here and look forward to asking a lot of questions and interacting with you all.

Peace,
FTC

Marta
07-22-2008, 20:16
Welcome, Fritzthecat, Trouthunter, and BuffalosGandalf!

Mags
07-22-2008, 21:40
Welcome to the zoo! Pull up a (virtual) chair, ask some questions and make yourself at home.

Be warned, you may ruin your life..in a blissfully satisfying way. :)

SGT Rock
07-22-2008, 21:41
2010 retirement - good deal. Sounds familiar.

Mister Bow Willow
07-27-2008, 00:58
Hi to all!

I recently joined and just wanted to introduce myself. First, though, thanks to those who run this great site and all of you who contribute your knowledge to thru-hiking newbies like myself.

I thought I’d be doing my thru-hike a few years from now when I retired. But I thought I’d ask my employer for a leave of absence on the theory that sooner is better than later. I thought the chance of getting a “yes” was somewhere between slim and none but, wonder of wonders, I got it and will be in the class of 2009.

The AT has been on my “to do” list for nearly ever but I’ve only day hiked miniscule portions of it. For much of the last 25 years I’ve lived in Southern California and most of my recent experience has been in the desert and the Sierra Nevada. I do a fair amount of car camping and short backpacks – about 20 days so far this year but I’ve never backpacked more than a week so this should be a great adventure.

I have a ton of questions, but, so far, searching through past posts has worked fine. And I know if a search fails to produce an answer, I have access to a lot of stored wisdom.

Thanks to all of you,

Mister Bow Willow

gghiker
08-01-2008, 16:44
Hello to everyone. I'm a 38 years young hiker from SC, though I can be found mostly in the NC/VA Blue Ridge. A "weekend warrior" by circumstance, not by choice; and looking down the road to bigger and better trails. Thru-hiking the AT has been a dream for many years, and I've put my mind (and health, and money) toward making that dream come true. It'll be a long time, and I envy those who've already made it and those who will make it sooner than later.

Until that day comes, if you're in the area, you might bump into me one morning. Remember to say hello, and have a great day!

Thanks for the great site, its nice to share with people who understand.

jetophile
08-06-2008, 23:24
Newly registered. My experience with the AT isn't all that extensive. Stowe, VT (the farthest I've been is the Taft Lodge, but I've done other sections of it), Harriman State Park (NY), Bear Mtn (NY). I live in the lower Hudson River Valley, do a great deal of my hiking locally (Schunnemunk Mtn, Black Rock Forest). I look forward to checking out the forums. Any raptor watchers out there?

I guess I should specify exactly what I mean by hiking, though, because it means different things to different people. I love my solitude. I hike mostly for thinking, ideating (I'm an artist) and a sense of well-being. It's so restorative, and I get very cranky without it. The great exercise I get is by default, but it keeps me very fit. Any formal type of excercise, I just won't do it, so it works perfectly for me.

hoyawolf
08-18-2008, 09:35
newly registered but not a new hiker or at bum. i am an off and on again sectional hiker but haven't really done any extended trips on the at since college due to a few wars, living in germany, kids, etc. i am done with springer mtn to damascus and am not working on knocking out the rest of va before i move (yet again) next year.

in addition to backpacking i also fly fish, race trails, am into bikes (all types), and lots of climbing.

i particularly like winter snowshoe and ski tours.

brad

bpitt
08-20-2008, 15:02
Broken-in newbie here. I thought I had joined earlier but I guess I didn't. I did my first section hike this past April. Gooch Gap, GA to Dick's Creek Gap (?), GA. I have to say, IT WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! I'm 35 and hiked with a 60 y.o. that liked to have left me in his dust. Anyway, he's section hiking over a few years to get it done, then do a thru-hike when he retires. Go figure. I hope I can do it when I'm at that age.

Anyway, I do some hiking here in south Mississippi, mainly National Forest trails. I'm supposed to section hike the GSMNP in May '09, so I can't wait, it's a blast, my wife thinks I'm crazy but my kids dig it.

Lilred
08-20-2008, 17:38
:welcome:welcome There's a welcome for both of you. It's a magnificent obsession eh? My whole family and half my friends think I'm nuts.:eek:

smokymtnsteve
08-20-2008, 18:01
:welcome:welcome There's a welcome for both of you. It's a magnificent obsession eh? My whole family and half my friends think I'm nuts.:eek:

Only HALF??

howdy lilred:D

stonecold
09-01-2008, 14:21
hi, i am brand new to the forum and it looks good,i came across it on hammockforum,which i have just joined recently.i am from bonnie Scotland and have been bushcrafting, canoeing ,hiking ,hammocking for a lot of years now.i am looking forward to meeting everybody and excited but joining another forum over in the U.S ,this will be my second in a couple of days. i have been looking to maybe purchase an underblanket and a quilt for my hammock ,which are not easy items to find in the uk maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.thank you and hi everybody

zeb
09-02-2008, 15:58
Hello,
I am a newbie hiker/backpacker/adventurer and just came upon this awesome site today while doing a search about the Art Loeb trail which I have been to and plan to completely backpack soon (over Thanksgiving). I found wilconow's thread on his experience there and found it very informational and useful along with the tips everybody shared in that thread.

This is an awesome site and the AT is on my list of things to do in the future!!!

jmhouse
09-03-2008, 17:11
Good Evening Everyone!
I have been lurking around this site since at least last fall. I got the AT bug back then but there was no way I could do it in the foreseeable future. Now I've committed to next year and decided it would be a good time to join. I just did a hike of the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island in Canada this past July and it was awesome. Other than that, I've done various 1 or 2 day trips around MD and VA, mostly in the Shenandoah area. You'll probably see me doing more lurking than posting, but I'll say something when I feel the need to or have a question I can't find an answer to.

daddytwosticks
09-07-2008, 14:10
I've finally joined up after all these years of lurking! This site has taught me so much and has been a great source of inspiration. Although I'm only a lowly section hiker, I look forward to joining the discussion and sharing a little of what I've learned. Happy to be here and thanks to all in this community.

Greb
09-07-2008, 15:10
First post and fairly new lurker. I have always loved hiking but had almost completely gotten away from it after college/marriage. Recent bout with cancer made me re-evluate just about everything and realize I need to work on my 'dreams'. As a kid in MD we would hike the AT alot. I met a thru hiker back then (do not remember the name) and thought that was the coolest thing in the world. So now its my plan to take the time once I finish school.

Missouri does not have alot of mountains but plenty of trails out here to get in som decent hikes.

This site is amazing and I learn something new each day (but it makes me want to start off much sooner)!

Panzer1
09-07-2008, 18:09
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Greb

Panzer

Camp Counselor
09-13-2008, 14:36
Howdy!

I was on the hunt this week for good AT resources and found Whiteblaze. My compliments to the staff and membership, this is a fantastic resource. I've been hiking up in the White Mountains since I was a teen, many more years that I care to think about.

Looking back I consider myself very fortunate because a have no regrets about were I've been and what I've done, save one. The one regret is that I didn't do an AT thru hike coming out of college or the military.

I have a loving wife and 4 fantastic kids. All of us enjoy hiking and backpacking, and I wouldn't change a thing. With one in College two in High School and one in Grade School though a thru hike isn't in the cards at the moment.

This has been a low mileage year for me so I'm real itchy to get out more this fall and some in the winter. Every time I get itchy to hike though the thru hike regret creeps in. A couple nights ago I had this rather fatalistic thought "What if I die before I reach Katahdin?" Kinda freaked me out.

I thought about it and decided that while I can't control when I go home to meet my maker, I can control my goals and dreams while my hiking boots are still underneath me. It could be several years before I head to Springer so while I figure out when and how to make that a reality I'll be here doing some very long term advanced planning and keeping the dream alive.

Thanks for this great resource and the community here!

Ranc0r
10-08-2008, 13:51
Hey all!

Dave here, new to WhiteBlaze, but started my first section in 1987, fell off the trail in 1991, bounced around the GSMNP in 1999, and now just biding my time until my little ones are big enough to be sherpas. Don't know that I'll thru hike anytime soon, but I still have my hopes :D .

See you on the Trail.

Dave

TJ aka Teej
10-08-2008, 14:40
Hey all!

Dave here, new to WhiteBlaze, but started my first section in 1987, fell off the trail in 1991, bounced around the GSMNP in 1999, and now just biding my time until my little ones are big enough to be sherpas. Don't know that I'll thru hike anytime soon, but I still have my hopes :D .

See you on the Trail.

Dave
:welcome to WhiteBlaze, Ranc0r!

djgray1200
10-16-2008, 18:45
Waddyaknow? Just barely started checking out the AT scene and already a familiar face. I'm also on Geocachine Maine w/ attroll. To introduce myself, my name is Jereme. I'm possibly one of those wishful thinking, pipe dream, idealistic day hikers enamored with the idea of someday thruhiking. Through geocaching, running, nordic walking, and some time in the gym I've managed to drop 50 lbs since June 1st. I've decided to set my sights on a thruhike in a few years. Right now I'm just researching. Are all AT diehards jaded on newbs coming in with an overly romanticised outlook on what to expect? I hope I'm not that guy. Any advice for someone just starting out would be appreciated. Maybe just like running's couch to 5K I need Couch 2 AT training. Thanks all.

NCYankee
10-29-2008, 12:22
I figured I would hop on to introduce myself. I'm a short time lurker and first time poster who is currently training to do the GA section of the AT. My blood has thinned since I moved down south so I am most likely waiting until the spring to hit the trail and just doing other shorter trips during the time being.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you guys for putting together such a great resource.

Marta
10-29-2008, 12:29
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Some of us will be getting out pretty often this winter. It can be a great time to be in the woods.

StarLyte
10-29-2008, 12:32
I figured I would hop on to introduce myself. I'm a short time lurker and first time poster who is currently training to do the GA section of the AT. My blood has thinned since I moved down south so I am most likely waiting until the spring to hit the trail and just doing other shorter trips during the time being.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you guys for putting together such a great resource.

Welcome friend! I frequently hike this area in April just because I love it so much. I'm a sectioner, so I hike anywhere from Springer up to Damascus. Been doing that hike for many years now - you will love it. I love the smell of the Trail in the south in the spring, everything coming to life and the soil is pungent.

Have fun, whatever you do. :sun

Blue Jay
10-29-2008, 12:37
Are all AT diehards jaded on newbs coming in with an overly romanticised outlook on what to expect? I hope I'm not that guy. Any advice for someone just starting out would be appreciated. Maybe just like running's couch to 5K I need Couch 2 AT training. Thanks all.

I can't speak for all diehards but I don't think you can over romanticise the AT. You can overplan and/or overtrain for it. Relax, just start slow and let yourself adapt.

irrationalsolutions
12-14-2008, 21:39
hi everyone

Skidsteer
12-14-2008, 21:54
hi everyone

Welcome IRA!

lizmunro62
12-18-2008, 00:12
excuse me please but i'm just putting it out there.
i'm scottish, traveling in south america and need to be in michigan by the 20th of july. i had a thought that it would be great to arrive via the bottom half of the AT. dont know yet if i can get a 6mnth visa but i will check that out in panama, my next port of call. if i can, i was wondering if there was anyone out there who is organized for the trek that would let me, someone who is not so organized, join them as far as pensylvania (or however the hell you spell it)?
lizzie

Irish Eddy
01-01-2009, 15:21
Happy New Year One and All!

I am new to this site and fairly new to the A.T. I am a retired police officer, and currently teaching criminal justice courses at a small community college. My son, Kevin, and I have completed four day hikes starting last August, and thus far we have completed about 30 miles of the A.T. in MD, WV, and VA. Our most recent hike was on December 20, 2008 from Keys Gap, WV to the Blackburn Trail Center in VA., a 6.2 mile stretch, which we barely completed before dark. I look forward to reading about others experiences on the A.T., and if you will forgive me, adding my own once in awhile. May the wind always be at your back.

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2009, 16:51

Happy New Year

cbserafin7
01-06-2009, 17:49
Hi Atroll
Started hiking 2008, Mar. Got on and off trail thru July. Bronco and I are planning to trail buddy around first of May 2009. Is there a spreadsheet like last year, for this year? Mo later , Indygirl

JayHiker10
02-14-2009, 18:13
I've been hiking the AT for a long time. My mom is an amature hiker and has raised me in her hikerish ways since I was 12yrs old. While hiking the AT I came across a fellow hiker and he told me about this site! So, here I am!

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 18:15
I've been hiking the AT for a long time. My mom is an amature hiker and has raised me in her hikerish ways since I was 12yrs old. While hiking the AT I came across a fellow hiker and he told me about this site! So, here I am!Hi:welcome:welcome:welcome

aracauna
02-17-2009, 15:23
I'm planning to hike the Georgia section of the AT in late May or early June. I'm planning on doing it in 7 days, which I understand is a pretty ambitious pace, but I teach, so if I'm a bit slower, I won't have to worry about missing work to take a few extra days if I need them as long as I plan well enough to have enough food and supplies to cover unexpected delays and have a plan to be able to bail before I hit that long section around the GA/NC border that doesn't seem to have any road accessible trail heads.

I'll probably be asking a few questions closer to the actual trip, but I want to spend some time perusing the site before I start asking the same questions that get asked every few weeks.

Ron Haven
02-17-2009, 22:10
I'm planning to hike the Georgia section of the AT in late May or early June. I'm planning on doing it in 7 days, which I understand is a pretty ambitious pace, but I teach, so if I'm a bit slower, I won't have to worry about missing work to take a few extra days if I need them as long as I plan well enough to have enough food and supplies to cover unexpected delays and have a plan to be able to bail before I hit that long section around the GA/NC border that doesn't seem to have any road accessible trail heads.

I'll probably be asking a few questions closer to the actual trip, but I want to spend some time perusing the site before I start asking the same questions that get asked every few weeks.aracauna,I am in Franklin,NC and if I could answer questions please let me know.I am familiar with the trails in this area.Welcome to the forum.

I have a question about your name (aracauna (http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/araucanas_americanas.html)) This word is the name of an indian tribe in the Andes Mtns of South America.They are chickens breed there that lays colored eggs.These breeds lay red,green,orange,blue and Yellow eggs.Really wierd huh?How did you get this trail name?

pizzaguy
02-21-2009, 22:10
Just registered. I'm a Michigan native that's been living in Georiga for 8 years - I discovered hiking when I realized my bicycle was useless in Georgia - too few bike paths!

I am glad I did, I like hiking better than bicycling, anyway! Never been on the AT - maybe later this year - I do day hikes, usually at FDR near Columbus. Personal best is 12 miles in one day, I usually do 7 to 10 a day down there.

Other interests are Ham Radio and going to school (really!)

Mark

Lilred
02-22-2009, 10:17
Just registered. I'm a Michigan native that's been living in Georiga for 8 years - I discovered hiking when I realized my bicycle was useless in Georgia - too few bike paths!

I am glad I did, I like hiking better than bicycling, anyway! Never been on the AT - maybe later this year - I do day hikes, usually at FDR near Columbus. Personal best is 12 miles in one day, I usually do 7 to 10 a day down there.

Other interests are Ham Radio and going to school (really!)

Mark

:welcome to Whiteblaze pizzaguy. I'm a former Michigander myself. You'll be addicted to Whiteblaze in no time. Ask anything, you'll get every answer imaginable here.

BostonAndy
03-03-2009, 20:14
Lurking for awhile a a guest and finally registered. I'm for Boston Mass. A true Bostonian, accent and all. I have section hike parts of the AT in New England. I'm currently planning on a Long Trail Thur-hike this summer.

Figure I would stop by and say Hi.

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2009, 00:22
Lotsa Boston people here. Good to see ya.

Prodigalspurn
03-06-2009, 18:43
I just found this site thank goodness. Me and a friend started hiking last year and went for a short trip on the AT and had a blast. Can't wait to do it again. Oh yeah I'm from Greeneville,TN

warraghiyagey
03-06-2009, 18:46
Lotsa Boston people here. Good to see ya.
WOOOOT!!!!:banana:banana:banana

pathill
03-09-2009, 11:02
New here and I started hiking back in 1999. It's good to finally come to the place where I can relate and share insights with fellow hikers. :)

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 11:04
New here and I started hiking back in 1999. . :)
You must be tired:p:)

Bulldawg
03-09-2009, 11:07
I just wanted post #200.

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 11:08
I just wanted post #200.
Tramp. . .

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 11:09

I just wanted post #200.

Oh. . . aaaayaaaand. . . Juuuuust a bit outside!!!
:banana:banana:banana

riley2004
03-09-2009, 14:20
:bananaHi Everyone -

I'm a novice hiker and new to whiteblaze. I'm planning a thru hike starting March 3, 2009. I'm looking for anyone else leaving the same time and any planning advice... I can't wait!!!

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 14:21

I'm a novice hiker and new to whiteblaze. I'm planning a thru hike starting March 3, 2009. I'm looking for anyone else leaving the same time and any planning advice... I can't wait!!!
Ummm . . . . wasn't March 3 last week???:confused:

Gray Blazer
03-09-2009, 14:24
Ummm . . . . wasn't March 3 last week???:confused:
Must be one of those super fast ultra-lighters.:confused:

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 14:34
I'm planning a thru hike starting March 3, 2009. I'm looking for anyone else leaving the same time and any planning advice...
Planning advice??? . . . I'f you're 'planning' to leave March 3rd there's not a lot of appropriate advice for ya. . . unless you have a time capsule. . . which most of us can't afford. . .

Bulldawg
03-09-2009, 15:34
Planning advice??? . . . I'f you're 'planning' to leave March 3rd there's not a lot of appropriate advice for ya. . . unless you have a time capsule. . . which most of us can't afford. . .

But your girlfriend is one of those "The Scientist" people ain't she? Maybe you can go back in time and help him?!??

Tin Man
03-09-2009, 16:11
But your girlfriend is one of those "The Scientist" people ain't she? Maybe you can go back in time and help him?!??

no going back... if you leave a footprint in the wrong place in the space time continuum, bad things happen, very bad things

SteveJ
03-09-2009, 16:22

chuckle...we'll assume a typo! 2010?

You'll learn to ignore the rabble rousers! ;)

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 16:23
no going back... if you leave a footprint in the wrong place in the space time continuum, bad things happen, very bad things

"If you ever travel back in time, don't step on anything because even the tiniest change can alter the future in ways you can't imagine." - Abe Simpson

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:0R5TlJbufuBrhM:http://lessimpson.allmyblog.com/images/lessimpson/lessimpson_20060417_193939.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://lessimpson.allmyblog.com/images/lessimpson/lessimpson_20060417_193939.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php%3Faz%3Dview_all%26address%3D132x462957 6&usg=__6070YShWH1HFju-ARVXMjon0Pfc=&h=420&w=347&sz=25&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=0R5TlJbufuBrhM:&tbnh=125&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dabe%2Bsimpson%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff% 26sa%3DG%26um%3D1)

sarahgirl
03-10-2009, 21:37
Hey all! Great forum! I'm planning a thru in 2010 and think this site will be very helpful thanks for the wealth of knowledge and I really like this little guy.:banana

4eyedbuzzard
03-10-2009, 22:40
Hey all! Great forum! I'm planning a thru in 2010 and think this site will be very helpful thanks for the wealth of knowledge and I really like this little guy.:banana

:welcome to WB.

Alli
03-15-2009, 00:32
Hey, I've been lurking for awhile but decided to register. I am planning a thru-hike for whenever I get out of the army and this site is a nice way to dream about it :)

Pokey2006
03-15-2009, 00:37
Welcome, Alli. Thank you for your service in the army, and good luck with your future dream hike!

TJ aka Teej
03-15-2009, 11:18
Hey, I've been lurking for awhile but decided to register. I am planning a thru-hike for whenever I get out of the army and this site is a nice way to dream about it :)
:welcome to Whiteblaze!

Mud__Bone
03-16-2009, 17:23

lol g1 :banana

hello everyone. this looks like my kind of place, to interact with like minded people. I have been bitten once again , awoken from a sedentary existence for too long now. Time to get back home, the woods :D
Peace

warraghiyagey
03-16-2009, 20:46
lol g1 :banana I have been bitten once again ,

Check for 'Spidey Senses'.:)

xburnone1x
03-18-2009, 13:58
Hello to my fellow hikers! I just joined this site today because I wanted to know more about the AT. I'm a 33 year old disabled who's going to be doing a thru-hike with my dog starting sometime in August/September. I just wanted to thank you for this website. It's very informative!

1/75Ranger
03-26-2009, 20:23
Hello All, Just dropping in, figured I would introduce myself, this seems like the place to do it so here it goes.

Developed my love for backpacking about ten years back while walking/patrolling all around the the area known as Hawk Mountain/ Camp Merrill in Georgia. Which is basically the same vicinity as the southern end of the AT. Since I got out the Wife and I have taken many trips usually trying to involve some section of the AT. So far we've done several sections in Shenadoah NP, and GSMNP. We have a 1 week trip planned this coming May 12-18 in GSMNP. I came over here because I am trying to track the NOBO thru hiker herd and estimate if we will be able to Hike the AT at that time or if we should just avoid it because of the expected overcrowding in the shelters (yes I do still like to lose civilization while I am in the woods.

Otherwise its good to be here..

RLTW,

Cannibal69
03-27-2009, 13:31
Thanks for a great website.
Planning a section hike with my 14 year old son in June At Springer north to Hot Springs.
Any North GA advice for June?

I grew up on the trail in North New Jersey.
They re routed the trail onto land purchased from my grandfather.
The AT was my highway.

Pips
03-29-2009, 14:07
So, I just joined this WB thing (obviously) and I am beginning to think I should have done so BEFORE I thru hiked last year :0) So much information.... anyways, I have not fully recovered from my trail experience. The St. Patty's day party at Low Gap hosted by Geek and Boudan (sp??) just made it worse... I need the hiking community in my life. So, here I am.

warraghiyagey
03-29-2009, 14:24
When's your next hike?

Pips
03-29-2009, 20:08
Whenever I can put together enough money to head back out! I have to be a productive citizen for a little while first. But, I am always halfway out the door :0)

Lemming Fleming
03-30-2009, 09:03
Hi everyone, I'm new here and am coming over from Britain in May to experience the AT after a year of dreaming about it.

4eyedbuzzard
03-30-2009, 09:06
:welcome And have a nice hike.

Mississippi Slowpoke
03-30-2009, 10:27
I am John. I am just joining this site to pick up hints for the AT. I've just gotten into hiking at the young age of 42, and am 44 now. I am located in Brandon, MS, where there are no hills.

I've done some day hikes on the AT and am looking to do some overnights down the road. I am a novice at hiking and may ask some goofy questions, so please bear with me. I look forward to sharing information and stepping up my hiking.

Thanks much and see y'all on the trails...

JMB

Chenango
03-30-2009, 10:49
I am John. I am just joining this site to pick up hints for the AT. I've just gotten into hiking at the young age of 42, and am 44 now. I am located in Brandon, MS, where there are no hills.

I've done some day hikes on the AT and am looking to do some overnights down the road. I am a novice at hiking and may ask some goofy questions, so please bear with me. I look forward to sharing information and stepping up my hiking.

Thanks much and see y'all on the trails...

JMB

Welcome to WB. I joined about a year ago and have really enjoyed all the sharing. Hike on!!

GreatScot
03-30-2009, 19:54
Hello All, I just discovered this site and joined. Looking forward to reading the Forum and sharing information. I will be camping in the Rangeley Lake area, and was seeking suggestions for good trails. I plan to hike Saddleback, but would be thankful for othre good summit trails or scenic loops, etc. Thanks

trailchef
04-01-2009, 16:11
Hi Folks,
I was told about this site from a friend. I have backpacked for many years and have hiked the AT, CT and JMT. I hike the Adirondacks often and explore other areas as well. I hope to be able to help others wishing to hike the longs trails, too.
Trailchef

Dearborn
04-01-2009, 18:33
Hi everyone!

I have been reading from this forum for a least a handful of months, but just joined a couple days ago. I have been hiking around New Hampshire my entire life with some stints in Maine, but I have already learned so much more about long distance from reading the forum articles. I'm graduating from UMaine this spring and hope to start my northbound trip with a friend of mine in late May (late I know!). I've basically been sponging up as much information I can before we leave since we'll have to make some serious time to beat the Baxter Park deadline (which Ive gotten burned on before on weekend hikes near the closing date) and I really appreciate the amount of information and laid back attitude a lot of you have on this site. I hope to be more active as the days near and I can't concentrate on anything but getting to Georgia.

warraghiyagey
04-01-2009, 19:51
Hey Dearborn. . . :welcome . . . just wondering if you're leaving in late May if you've considered hiking southbound. . . could be easier for you schedule-wise. . .

Dearborn
04-02-2009, 20:09
Indeed. We've had a few long discussions about it, and one fairly recently since time considerations are I guess more "real" than when we were talking about it a few years ago, but we're still fairly solid on going nobo. It's not that we would like to do it the "traditional" way (typically not our style of hiking), but we're natives to the northeast mountains and really like the idea of "walking home". Haha, also I've attempted to climb Katahdin 4 times now and the Baxter park folks havn't let me on the mountain once. I figure it would be a sweet way to finish; fifth time's a charm

Jeremy from FL AKA?
04-04-2009, 12:52
I too wanted to thank you got this great site. I am planing my thru-hike for 2012-2013, and this site is great for my preparation. I grew up in Florida, and now live in south Carolina near the foot hills, they will be my training ground for now, or I possibly will hike the Florida trail back home. What ever the case I will be sure to uload photoes of my jorneys. Thanks agaian for this wonderful site.

EverydayJourneyman
04-06-2009, 18:12
Just wanted to say what a great community of users here there are.

I've only been a member for a short amount of time but the AT information gleaned has been substantial.

Everyone is very friendly and if the people I meet out on the AT later this month are even 1/2 as nice, I will be in great company.

solo29
04-06-2009, 18:27
this is a awesome site im here evey evening checking things out lots of informataion here

whistler/sunshine
04-13-2009, 18:42
Hi everyone!! My husband and I just joined this site. We were section hiking this past weekend next to the James River and up to Thunder Hill shelter. We happened to see a bumper sticker on a car with this web address. Great site! Our biggest problems with section hiking is hitching rides and would love to have contacts in the Va. and NC areas. Any help? Hope to one day meet some of you on the trail.

Chenango
04-13-2009, 18:43
Hi everyone!! My husband and I just joined this site. We were section hiking this past weekend next to the James River and up to Thunder Hill shelter. We happened to see a bumper sticker on a car with this web address. Great site! Our biggest problems with section hiking is hitching rides and would love to have contacts in the Va. and NC areas. Any help? Hope to one day meet some of you on the trail.

Welcome to WB. Glad to have you here.

WhiteBearDog
04-16-2009, 13:55
I have visited before and after much thought, decided to make the AT my life goal! This past winter I was diangosed with have early onset RA and seeing how it effected my Grandfather, I do not want to see life pass me by.
While I am able, I have made it my goal to hike the AT... sections at a time. I hope to see many of you on the trail and best wishes!

Justkeepwalking

Ol Mole
04-18-2009, 05:47
We are plaaning to hike this section next month. There were numerous fires a year or so ago nearby. Did the trail go through any burnedout areas? How is the water availability?

lilypond
04-21-2009, 20:26
new to site, thru hike has been a dream of mine since I went backpacking with my daughter's girl scout troop 20 years ago. Mind is wlling not sure if the body is tho. Maybe if I visit this site enough times I will get the finally push. Have done some volunteering at the HQ in HF when my daughter was at a local college. Have hiked about 200 miles. Site is terrific source of info and inspiration.

Bad Co
04-30-2009, 15:09
Wanted to say hello to everyone
I'm an old, newbie, been out of the loop for nearly 23 years raising a family,making a living,and such
My youngest son is getting me back in the game
We are planning an all summer hike come June
Can't believe how much gear and things have changed over the years
Very nice sight lot's of useful information
Glad to be back

SteveJ
04-30-2009, 16:33
Welcome!! :welcome

rhodeshale19
05-05-2009, 04:12
Hi there! I just joined these forums and would like to take the time to let you know a little bit about me. My name is Rhodes, from San Diego, California. And I am 19 years on age. I am looking to better my knowledge and help others to best of my ability. So please feel free to ask any questions. I am hoping to make some wonderful friends along the way. I hope to get to know everyone here.:banana

SUV2008
05-05-2009, 19:55
If I section hike Virginia, can water be easily found? :-?

SUV2008
05-05-2009, 20:16
You can do it!

Actually, thru-hiking is not for everyone. Hiking period is not for everyone. I found out i was a hiker last year, but a very inexperienced hiker. I picked my trail name , SUV, partly for my initials, but because my pack was fully loaded and I got poor milage. I started in Harpers Ferry, on the 15th of june traveling north. This was a good thing because I was passed by every Northbounder on the trail. I got a lot of advice. And some of it was very helpful. I lasted for 6 weeks, traveled 365 miles, and decided that without a total make over, I was likely only going to punish myself. (I was unable to get my pack weight under 45 lbs. So this year I'm wearing a 1600 cubic inch pack, and hope to carry no more than 25 lbs, 20 would be better. I'm going to hike Virginia beginning on 6/15 with a new trail name, CANGO. I hope my experience is encouraging.

JokerJersey
05-07-2009, 10:47
Greetings all! Just found the site after I started doing some serious research into the AT planning my thru-hike for 2011. Using this year's season to get back into hiking again, next year for some more rigerous training on parts of the AT near to home, then hitting Springer for a NOBO on April 1st, 2011. Haven't done any serious hiking since getting out of the Marines in 2003 (I MEF, 9th Comm Bn, SVC Co, CEM Platoon 1999-2003 : OEF/OIF Vet (and no, I'm not Spike :D)), so I'm really looking forward to getting back into it when there isn't someone breathing down your neck on a forced march. Not to mention getting CS gas cannisters tossed into the middle of your march isn't one of those things that ranked high on my list of things I'd like to repeat in life.

Truthfully, this is just one more step along that trail of searching for "something". I don't know what that something is, where I can find it, or when I can hope to find it. I just know that I haven't found it yet, no matter where I've looked. Perhaps I've just been "looking" in the wrong places. If I find it here with long-distance hiking, wonderful. If not, the search will continue.

So far, just over the last few days, I've already managed to pick up some really good info on a host of topics from dehydrating foods to gear picks that should really come in handy. I'm looking forward to reading and absorbing tons more of the same over the coming 2 years before I get the chance to put my experience to the test. Thanks for the great site and all the great info.

See ya on the trails of Eastern PA and Jersey until the fateful day comes!

Joker J

brocknoxious
05-10-2009, 22:56
Hello,

I'm new to the board also. Have been surfing this site for a while. Seems like a lot of information and some very knowledgable folks.

If I was to buy one book on hiking the trail, what is the best suggestion?

Thanks....looking forward to hearing/learning/reading everyone's thoughts....

- CB

The Mechanical Man
05-10-2009, 23:04
Hello,

I'm new to the board also. Have been surfing this site for a while. Seems like a lot of information and some very knowledgable folks.

If I was to buy one book on hiking the trail, what is the best suggestion?

Thanks....looking forward to hearing/learning/reading everyone's thoughts....

- CB

What type of book are you looking for?

Are you talking about a AT hiking guide book, or just want to read a book written by someone, about their AT hike?

brocknoxious
05-10-2009, 23:27
TMM,

I'm looking for more of a hiking guide book.... Thanks

Tuney
05-30-2009, 11:26
TMM,

I'm looking for more of a hiking guide book.... Thanks

I bought two books this week. "Long Distance Hiking" by Roland Mueser 1998, and "The Appalachian Trail" How to prepare for and hike it, By Jan D Curran revised 2002.

Both books are interesting, and contain some good insights into hiking, safety, and what to expect from the experience.

However, IMO in the areas of equipment, hygine, and conservation, the information available from http://trailjournals.com and the forums here at whiteblaze and at http://trailplace.com/forums/index.php, is more current, and accurate based on more recent technological changes, research and experience.