PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Airport to Amicalola+fuel

buff_jeff
05-06-2008, 20:14
I got off to a late start here trying to figure out how I'm going to get from the Atlanta Airport to the Approach Trail. The hiker hostel can't pick me up and I'm not aware of anyone else besides the city's taxi line, which isn't a big deal besides fuel. Is there anywhere near the approach trail I can get fuel at? Does the lodge at Amicalola have it available? Thanks in advance.

Vik
05-06-2008, 20:22
Hi, I have heard there are no bus services in that area either? I am travelling to there from Oz this November and I am busting to find out how to get around there.
suppose there is always shanks's pony!:D
Cheers.

deeddawg
05-06-2008, 20:23
There's an REI across the road from the Sandy Springs MARTA station. Take Marta from the airport to there then have your ride pick you up from there. Check with Joyce & Sally to see if they can drive you. Search here for their number.

Survivor Dave
05-06-2008, 20:28
Jeff,

I sent you a PM. I can help you with a ride and fuel. Left my number in the PM.

SD

deeddawg
05-06-2008, 20:34
Had handier than I thought -- number for Joyce & Sally is 706-896-9339.

The Sandy Springs MARTA station is the one just before the North Springs station that most shuttle providers prefer -- one more exit south on the highway they'll be coming down, so it shouldn't be a big deal for them.

If you go to that station looking for the REI make sure you exit the station at the parking deck end (Perimeter Center West & Abernathy) instead of the Mt Vernon end. Ask someone on the trail for more info, it's been a while since I've been at that station and I don't remember what the signs say.

BTW, the REI is the "Perimeter" store in Atlanta if you want to look them up on REI's site. I bet also if you call the store they can give you better instructions for getting there.

Survivor Dave
05-06-2008, 20:39
Hey Deeddawg, Joyce and Sally live in Hiawassee and it will take them almost 2 hours to get to NS MARTA. Great ladies, they shuttled me to Franklin. I can probably save him some money.
I live 5 minutes away and can help him with gear stuff as well.

SD

Had handier than I thought -- number for Joyce & Sally is 706-896-9339.

The Sandy Springs MARTA station is the one just before the North Springs station that most shuttle providers prefer -- one more exit south on the highway they'll be coming down, so it shouldn't be a big deal for them.

If you go to that station looking for the REI make sure you exit the station at the parking deck end (Perimeter Center West & Abernathy) instead of the Mt Vernon end. Ask someone on the trail for more info, it's been a while since I've been at that station and I don't remember what the signs say.

BTW, the REI is the "Perimeter" store in Atlanta if you want to look them up on REI's site. I bet also if you call the store they can give you better instructions for getting there.

deeddawg
05-06-2008, 21:34
Thanks SD, having left my vehicle @ Joyce & Sally's before, I'm pretty familiar with where they are. And Hiawassee is a fair ways from Amicalola too, but they're a better option than walking from Sandy Springs. ;)

I'd started my followup before you posted and thus didn't see your offer until afterward. Since you're close in that does make a lot more sense.

buff_jeff
05-06-2008, 22:41
Thanks for the suggestions, Deedawg. SD is going to help me out, and for only $600!!!!!