PDA

View Full Version : Platypus Big Zip

bustedchucks
05-06-2008, 21:57
Any horror stories of platy big zips doing the big spill in your pack? I just got one and the zipper frightens me; 100 oz of water is quite alot to dump on your gear.

I looked around the inter-webs and it seems that lots of other people were leery of that also, but that it didn't pose a problem in practice. So with boosted confidence I bought one and after filling it up and squeezing it it burst in my bathroom - drenching a roll of tp and generally making a mess.
Now for the most part during the course of a hike it won't be subjected to that kind of force but if I take a spill backwards,say slip while decending that might just do the trick.

I really like the hands free thing and the ability to clean it out but....

rdpolete
05-06-2008, 22:23
I have one and never had any issues with it. I use it for my dirty bag with an in line gravity filter and normally do not carry water in it inside my pack unless headed to a dry camp. My gear is always in trash compactor bag inside my G4 so I did not freak out about it if I do carry water in it.

Currently I am working on switching out to a 5 Liter mylar Wine badder bag to replace this. I am sewing some webbing in the corners for hanging and think I can have a multi purpose Dirty bag, Shower bag,and air pillow for lighter weight and don't have to worry about cleaning it out, just replace the bladder for just the cost of the webbing.

Footslogger
05-06-2008, 22:25
I carried the 4 Liter Big Zip Platy on my thru but never put it inside my pack with water inside of it. I used it to gather water in the evening at my campsite. During the day I folded it empty and carried it on the outside of my pack.

Personally, I would not trust a Big Zip inside my pack if it was filled with water.

'Slogger

bustedchucks
05-06-2008, 22:56
My gear is always in trash compactor bag inside my G4 so I did not freak out about it if I do carry water in it.

I do the same, and the hydration sleeve would be outside of the compactor bag, so i guess that would pretty much protect my sleeping bag and clothes. Dunno man,I might just use it for dayhikes where a deluge would only register as "pretty annoying".

Compass
05-06-2008, 23:38
Never had a problem with the big zip bursting open. Just squeeze really well with a little bending action.

I mainly use it as extra capacity for hot days or dry camps. One section trip I put the bladder in the packs sleeve at home and FORGOT to close the zip. A few days on the trail heading to dry camp I got a real shock after pumping 2.5 liters or so of water with my filter into it while the pack was on my back. Can not blame the product for my mistake.

burger
05-07-2008, 09:32
I have a 4-L Big Zip, too. There were only a few times that I carried it in my pack with water in it, but I've never had the zip come open or any leakage. In fact, the zipper is extremely tough to close. I find I have to press down very hard, and it takes 30 seconds or so to get the thing closed, so I imagine that it would be difficult for it to come open in your pack.

If do take one, it's pretty easy to place a full bag in your pack so that it's sitting upright and the water isn't resting against the zip part. You'd have to do a pretty bad job of packing to end up in a situation where the pressure on your water bag was the equivalent of you squeezing it with your hands.

db8
05-08-2008, 14:25
I've used the 2L version, full of water in my pack, at least 50 days without any problems. I did once manage to dump it at home, but just because I was messing with it rather carelessly. I agree with what others have said: it takes a little effort to close, but once closed it stays that way.

bigcranky
05-08-2008, 14:29
I just find it very difficult to close the zipper, so I've never trusted it inside my pack. I use a 6-L version to collect and treat water.

MamaCat
05-08-2008, 14:44
There is a new platypus hydration system to be released this summer that is an improved big zip -- called the big zip SL http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=8 Looks like they made a new slide lock to ensure closing quicker. I was about to replace nalgene bottles with a hydration system and think I will try this one when it becomes available.

Bootstrap
05-08-2008, 20:22
Once I'm sure it's zipped shut, I have no problem with it, but it's worth zipping carefully, then turning upside down to be sure that nothing leaks out, before deciding to trust it in your backpack.

Jonathan

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2008, 20:44
I wrap it with a home made liner made from a sun shield from the dollar store. The only danger is the Spork! Wrap it in a small lightweight absorbent towel.

whitefoot_hp
05-09-2008, 11:54
Deuter makes the superior zippable (in this case a top clip slide thingy you will have to look up for better detail) and thus easy to clean hydration bag. it is not a zipper, but a strong clip i see holding up a long time.

the design is ten times better to a zipper, with all the benefits.

here it is:

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=streamer2&sub=hydration&tert=accessories

Berserker
05-09-2008, 12:30
Although I am not addressing your exact question, I used to use a Camelbak Unbottle in my pack. That thing is pretty much bomb proof, and you can wash it fairly easily due to the wide mouth opening. I used it in he pack up against my back with everything packed around it, and my clothing and sleeping bag in a trash compactor bag in case it leaked. This may be an option if you want to put something in your pack as it comes in 70 oz and 100 oz versions. The only issue with it is weight. My 70 oz one weighs almost exactly 10 oz.

My current hydration system is 2 one liter platy Hosers where one is in each one of my bottle holders on the outside of my pack. This system is lighter, not actually in my pack, and easier to refill on the go. Might be another option for you to consider.