PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Gap to Sams Gap

greentick
05-06-2008, 22:05
Hey all, myself and some buddies will be doing Davenport Gap to Sams Gap this fall over about 6 days - a short day, 5 full hiking days, a short day.

-any suggested campsites
-must see sights
-we plan on sending a maildrop to Hot Springs, any recommendations
-any problems parking at Sam's Gap (I did a forum search and didn't see any problems)
-shuttle recommendation from Sam's Gap to Dav. Gap

Thanks!

Tennessee Viking
05-06-2008, 23:13
Standing Bear will shuttle. Uncle Johnnys shutles will probably be on the steep side.

Sams Gap parking has greatly improved. Though I wouldn't park at any trailhead unattended for a couple days. You might want to arrange something with Uncle Johnnys. His shuttle service to Sams Gap is $25. If you park at Johnnys, consider adding on 1-2 days crossing Big Bald and No Business, you can walk into Johnnys instead of shuttling.

Hot Springs maildrops, the PO or Elmers.

Camping:
Max Patch, watch out around Walnut Mtn area (bear activity), Jones Meadows/Camp Creek Bald, Laurel Shelton graves, Frozen Knob/Big Flat.

SGT Rock
05-06-2008, 23:21
Hey all, myself and some buddies will be doing Davenport Gap to Sams Gap this fall over about 6 days - a short day, 5 full hiking days, a short day.

-any suggested campsites
If the weather is good - big Butt. Also, if you don't like shelters there is a good place to stay about 1.5m north of Spring Mountain Shelter. Take the side trail 0.3 to the creek. Finally, Max Patch. If weather is good stay up top, if it is a little bad there are some good campsites on the north side of the bald.

-must see sights
Firescald Bald, Max Patch, Snowbird mountains, there is also a couple of fire towers but I forget the names. Oh, and Lovers Leap.

-we plan on sending a maildrop to Hot Springs, any recommendations
The outfitters is best. Open 7 days a week.

-any problems parking at Sam's Gap (I did a forum search and didn't see any problems)I wouldn't leave a car there long term. Too much chance.

-shuttle recommendation from Sam's Gap to Dav. Gap

Thanks!
I'd reccomend parking your car at Standing Bear and get Curtis to shuttle you to Sams gap. Then you walk back to your own car.

Gray Blazer
05-06-2008, 23:24
I was gonna say go to the towers on Rich Bald and Camp Creek Bald. On a real clear day, You can see all of Western NC from CCB..

SGT Rock
05-06-2008, 23:25
I was gonna say go to the towers on Rich Bald and Camp Creek Bald. On a real clear day, You can see all of Western NC from CCB..
Yep those were the towers. Bear activity reported between Deerpark Mountain Shelter, Walnut Mountain Shelter, and Roaring Fork Shelter. Take appropriate action.

bigcranky
05-07-2008, 06:48
We did that section last March. Left the car at Standing Bear Farm (near Davenport Gap) and got a shuttle to Sam's Gap from Curtis, the proprietor of SBF. Great section, very scenic. Stay at Elmer's in Hot Springs if at all possible. For resupply, check the Dollar General first, then go to the outfitter. DG is way cheaper and pretty well stocked.

Two Speed
05-07-2008, 08:40
. . . Bear activity reported between Deerpark Mountain Shelter, Walnut Mountain Shelter, and Roaring Fork Shelter. Take appropriate action.What kind of bear activity is getting reported?

FWIW a friend and I did the section over Max Patch and on into Hot Springs last fall. Saw one bear, and lots of hunters and their dogs. The bear appeared to be more concerned about getting out of Dodge than messing with hikers.

Did I miss something?

Roots
05-07-2008, 08:47
What kind of bear activity is getting reported?

FWIW a friend and I did the section over Max Patch and on into Hot Springs last fall. Saw one bear, and lots of hunters and their dogs. The bear appeared to be more concerned about getting out of Dodge than messing with hikers.

Did I miss something?

I do not know of any definites, but I do know that quite a few people have lost food bags in these areas. I have been reading journals trying to keep up with those I was on the trail with, and some reported losing food and seeing/hearing bears.

It's kind of funny. The only wildlife I saw in 200 miles was a deer jump over the trail and down the mountain side back in GA. O well, maybe this coming up trip I'll see something. :)

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 09:15
What kind of bear activity is getting reported?

Did I miss something?
At Trail Fest the last resport was about 12 food bags stolen, one tent sat on, one hammocker messed with, etc etc.

Two Speed
05-07-2008, 09:29
'Kay, I did miss something. Gotta admit I'm more than a bit surprised; always thought hunting pressure would make bear leery of contact with humans.

greentick
05-07-2008, 20:25
Thanks for the good info all. I will probably rearrange and go sobo. Will definately use Curtis at SBF again. We used him on our last section and parked at that ranger station by D'port Gap.

Anyone else ever think that Curtis reminds them of Ted Nugent. NUGE!!!!!! He sorta has that wildman personality. Good fun to ride with, offered use of the showers if we wanted after our hike. Hard to picture him as a former DAT (that coming from a former groundpounder or "crunchy" in DAT speak).